The Official Mesa Miners thread

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starting this Thursday (May 26th), professional minor league baseball games will be played at Hohokam Stadium.

Affordable fun for the family. :cool:

Here's the list of promos for this coming weekend - first, all seats - $1. Thurs-Sun's games. :shock:

BIM's going Thurs-Sat. :thumbup:

Enjoy a night of fun and family entertainment on opening weekend for only $1! All tickets on May 26-29 are a buck. Many special events are planned including:...

THURSDAY, MAY 26 @ 6:35pm vs Yuma Scorpions-
Opening Night; pre-game pep rally starting at 4:30pm at HoHoKam Park; FREE Mesa Miners magnetic schedules.

FRIDAY, MAY 27 @ 6:35pm vs Yuma Scorpions-
Wheel Of Fortune's Pat Sajak Bobbleheads for the first 2,000 fans through the gate; Pat also has the honor of throwing out the first pitch.

SATURDAY, MAY 28 @ 6:05pm vs Yuma Scorpions-
FREE foam pick axe to the first 2,000 fans courtesy of ABC Plumbing & Rooter; plus a post-game FIREWORKS show!

SUNDAY, MAY 29 @ 6:05pm vs Yuma Scorpions-
post-game run the bases for kids 12 and under.

For more info, here's their website: Mesa Miners

You can order tickets from there, or call 480-39-MINER

Go Miners !!

:jedi:

BIM

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the teams in this league:

California Division
Chico Outlaws
Fullerton Flyers
Long Beach Armada
San Diego Surf Dogs

Arizona Division
Japan Samurai Bears
Mesa Miners
Surprise Fightin' Falcons
Yuma Scorpions

Djaughe

Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
....Wheel Of Fortune's Pat Sajak Bobbleheads for the first 2,000 fans through the gate....

:thumbup:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SATURDAY, MAY 28 @ 6:05pm vs Yuma Scorpions- FREE foam pick axe to the first 2,000 fans courtesy of ABC Plumbing & Rooter; plus a post-game FIREWORKS show!
What are they gonna do with the extra 1500 foam picks? I hope they do good, but in the valley people barely support the majors. Hopefully people go out and see them. I'll try to make it ta game this weekend. When are they gonna have dollar beer night?

DS

Ladies Man
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I heard about this on the radio. It should be cool.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome first game. Miners beat the Yuma Scorpions 12-1.

Got my wife a foul ball. :thumbup:

We gave a couple of others to some kids.

Was picked to participate in a "bat race" just after the first inning. One in which you hold your head to a bat handle, run in a circle around the bat ten times, and then race toward a ribbon down by third base. I got so dizzy that I almost ran into the Miners' dugout - saved by a player who put his hands out to stop me (lol) - it was freaky...you see the place you need to run to but your legs just will not cooperate. Finished second to some guy named Chuck. Everyone got a kick out of how messed up we both got after going around the bats.

Later in the game, my wife's folks got called down to the field and played musical chairs. My mother-in-law was going to win, but at the last second the Miners' mascot (Diggs) interfered so a little kid would win (a Miners t-shirt).

Great game. Some great hitting by our team against some crazy pitching by Yuma. Their pitchers mostly threw two kinds of pitches: Those that our players could hit...and those that hit our players.

Second baseman, and leadoff hitter's name is: Diggz Edwards. Nice player. Nice name for a Miner. :D

After the game, we went and had some of the players autograph a poster my wife drew up (with the Miners' logo on it). Each player we interacted with was so nice - one actually said "Nice job in the bat-race." to me... :D They were thrilled to see each and every fan and encouraged us all to come back out and support the team.

We definitely will - it was a blast. :cool:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You caught three foul balls and got called on the field? How many people were there? I reserved a couple of tix for tonight. Can't pass up a Pat Sajack bobblehead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
You caught three foul balls and got called on the field? How many people were there? I reserved a couple of tix for tonight. Can't pass up a Pat Sajak bobblehead.

They announced 3,264. The league has said from the beginning that it must average 1,500 per game to be financially stable. This weekend is "every ticket just a buck" so people will come out. I just hope people will come out all season long.

It was a blast.

We were sitting in the first row along the first base line. We saw a lot of foul balls come toward us. The first one I got, I actually left the park and found it in the field just South of the stadium (where cars were parked). It even has a black scuff on it from hitting the black top.

When we entered the stadium (about 5:30) they asked if we wanted to fill out a form to be in special events (Name, age, and seat #). Those entry forms are how my in-laws and I were picked to participate on the field. :thumbup:

Minor league baseball is awesome. Reminds me a lot of when I'd go to Phoenix Muni and see the Phoenix Giants play. One time I chased down a foul ball while I was inside Legend City (next door to Phoenix Muni back then).

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's cool. I'm dragging my wife down there tonight. When I told her about it, the first thing she said was "its gonna be soooooo hot." Thats the only way I could figure they wouldnt draw is if the heat keeps em away. Hopefully they got $1 brews to go with the $1 tix.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I had a blast. I'm definitely going back. It had a Bull Durham kind of feel to it. Small crowd though. I hope it picks up.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
I had a blast. I'm definitely going back. It had a Bull Durham kind of feel to it. Small crowd though. I hope it picks up.

All I have to say is - 10 unanswered runs!! Woohoo!! Way to go, Miners!!

Going for 3-in-a-row tomorrow night, and we're possibly going Sun and Mon too!!

It's going to take word of mouth, but I feel this league can make it!!

:fans::fans:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
everyone in Mesa..go support the Miners!

The best play was when a Yuma player squared around to bunt and fouled it off his head. You heard plenty of "way to use your head" "keep your head in the game" remarks. What I really liked about it was none of the headaches associated with a Dbax game existed. We parked close. We sat behind home plate, ect ect. They just need a bigger crowd, and a organ player, or at least a fake organist.

:band: :band:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention - opening night, three guys jumped out of a plane high above the stadium and paraglided into right field...fast landings...pretty awesome to see so close. They were all from Skydive Coolidge. :thumbup:

Last night, Pat Sajak came in (with his wife) on a helicopter which landed out in left/center field, then he threw out the first pitch and signed autographs.

The people next to us were nice folks. They were at the opener also - they looked at me and both said "Weren't you in the bat-race last night?" :D

Go Miners !!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bottom of the 9th down by 4, runner on 2nd no outs...its cool to listen to on the net.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First loss. :bang:

Too windy for the fireworks though...so...everyone with a ticket could exchange it for another "fireworks night."

Next "fireworks night" - July 4th. We've got tickets already. :cool:

Made it 3-for-3 and going back tomorrow to see the end of this first series with the Scorpions. :thumbup:

Go Miners !!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2nd loss. :bang:

Still 2-2.

Great 4 games.

The founder of the entire Golden League signed my wife's painting of the Miner's logo. :thumbup:

Meeting some great people who are going to be regulars at the games. Big sports fans, so next time I see them, I'm giving them the url for our site. :cool:

:jedi:

BIM

P.S. After the game, all kids 12 and under got to run around the bases. It was great seeing all the kids having a ton of fun, getting their pictures taken on the field, etc.

Great family fun.

Next up: Long Beach.

We're going tomorrow 5-for-5 !! :D

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is the Surprise team, Surprise, AZ?

I am thinking about going to check them out.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another great game. Dropped to 2-3 with a 7-5 loss to the Long Beach Armada, but we got to talk with some great fans, the players, and some family of the players. The General Manager even came and sat with us in our section for awhile. :cool:

Got two foul balls and just missed out on another.

Got more signatures on my wife's poster (24 signatures now). :thumbup:

And...you guessed it - going back tomorrow. :D

Go Miners !!

:fans::fans::fans:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I've never caught a foul ball ever, and Brian is catching them like he's the left fielder at these games. I'm bringing my glove and I'm getting a foul ball tonight.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azsouthendzone said:
Ok, I've never caught a foul ball ever, and Brian is catching them like he's the left fielder at these games. I'm bringing my glove and I'm getting a foul ball tonight.

See you there. We'll be sitting in 113, first row, by first base. :cool:

Go Miners !!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
man that crowd sucked. there was about 100 people there and that might be stretching it. one thing I cant figure out is why they dont have an organ or fake organ going. it gets so freaking quiet at times. they really need to advertise this team for it to work. most people i tell about this team have never heard of it. the saddest part was when they sang take me out to the ball game. i think 3 people were singing. ok brian, I didnt get a foul ball! AAARGH! I hope it survives. This weekend is big, but if the crowds are anything like tonight, this league is one and done in AZ. They handed out free tix on the way out for tomorrows game. I may go, I dunno yet. As far as the game itself....Long Beach is a far superior team in every aspect and they dominated that game. The Mesa pitching was a joke. I hope people go to the double header saturday.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very small turnout - where were you azsouthendzone?

I got 3, count'em 3 foul balls, and almost 2 t-shirts. :thumbup:

I got a foul ball that went out of the park into the field South of the stadium (where people park when the crowd is big enough), one in the bleachers out by right field - it bounced foul away from Bonner in the outfield, and after the game I went out into the field North of the stadium, behind the scoreboard basically and found the home run ball that got hit through the fence. :D

BIM's a minor league geek, so's the wife. We're telling everyone we know. This league needs the fans that go to the games to spread the word.

The Japan Samurai Bears are here Friday and then the doubleheader on Saturday - - - first ever traveling foreign minor league team. :thumbup: All their games are road games. When they score a home run, they throw a teddy bear into the stands, I've heard. I want to catch one...so I can throw it back. :D

The score of the game was terrible tonight, but it was a great game in the sense of being there, the atmosphere, supporting the players, etc. After the game we got nearly a dozen signatures on my wife's poster - everyone from Diggz Edwards and Julian Thames to Mike Haley, the PA Announcer.

Go Miners !!

BTW - Friday is $1 hot dog night. It'd be a great night to check out the team/league. :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard