OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
San Diego crushes Yuma...

Mesa completes the sweep of the Armada...

Miners back in first place !!

:fans:

:jedi:

BIM

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yuma is one game back after playing the best team in the league.

:thud: :hulk: :hammer: :computer:

(Where are the mines in Mesa?)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Just a question: Where are the mines in Mesa? :D

We're not the Mesa Mines. We're the Mesa Miners.

There are miners in Mesa. :thumbup:

I'd have to check into it, but given the size of Mesa...there are probably mines in Mesa as well. :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MESA SWEEPS ARMADA

The Mesa Miners (30-22) swept the three-game series against the Long Beach Armada (27-26) at HoHoKam Park in Mesa, Arizona by winning 8-4.

Manny Ayala (8-2) pitched a complete game giving up four runs (three earned) on eight hits. He also struck out six and walked none. The Armada scored two runs in the first and second innings to gain an early 4-0 lead. The Miners climbed back into the game in the fourth inning with RBI singles by Marcus Knight and Ayala. Mesa took the lead in the fifth inning when Knight had another RBI single after Marcus Jensen singled in two. The Miners added some insurance runs in the sixth when Caleb Maher cleared the bases with a double.

Long Beach starter Reed Harvey (2-5) gave up 13 hits and eight runs in 5.1 innings of work. The Miners will start a four-game series against the Japan Samurai Bears tomorrow at 6:35pm at HoHoKam Park.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Great game. Nice to get the sweep. :cool:

I got into the head of #20, pitcher Reed Harvey for the Armada.

He threw a few wild pitches, and gave up 13 hits, so there was plenty of material. I kept cheering for him - since he was doing so well for our team. :D

When he finally got pulled, he stared me down as he left the field. As he got close to the dugout he asked me if I had anything else to say...I clapped and said "Good game #20!" - - - - He told me "Go kill yourself!" :eek:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay - this bites. Two losses in a row to Japan?!

First game was a close one, 3-2, and ended with Digz getting picked off at 2nd with 2 outs. :bang:

Second game, last night, ended after 7 innings. We got down early and trailed 9-1 with bases loaded and no outs in the bottom of the 8th. Things had really started to roll and we'd come back earlier in the year after trailing 9-1 to Yuma (Game 2). Then it started to rain...and rain...and rain. The ground crew got out there quickly and covered the pitcher's mound and home plate area. There was an extended wait, but the rain stopped and the Miners and the officials were ready to play. The ground crew went about putting dry dirt on top of the worst areas, so that the game could continue, but Warren Cromartie, Japan's manager, refused to send his guys out to play on the field. The guy is an absolute jerk. He had gotten thrown out of the game the day before and walked out through the stadium cussing like a sailor, with little kids around and all. No class. He never intended on continuing the game, yet he stood around smiling as our ground crew worked hard to get the field ready. He and I were going back and forth because I was yelling "Let's go, Miners!!" and he said "No more, not tonight." I asked him if he was going to forfeit then and he said "I'm not losing anything - look at the scoreboard." Ugh. I wonder what he would have done if the situation had been reversed and his team trailed by 8 with the bases loaded, no outs, and they batted last so there were a guaranteed 6 outs left on offense...?

No more "respect" for Japan's team. For some reason the crowd gets loud and rowdy for Yuma, Surprise, San Diego, heck - any team that's not Japan. That needs to stop. Treat them like any other opponent.

I'm going to be heckling Warren "Crow" Cromartie tonight.

Go Miners !!!

:cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woohoo!

Miners win 5-3 in a rain-shortened game!

This time it was the umpires who decided it was "game over" and not Crow.

I did get to heckle him a lot tonight. At first he smiled because he thought I was just carrying on a bit from the night before, but eventually I got to him and he was cussing at me from the dugout. Classy. :thumbup: :D

I also heckled the pitcher some, as did a few others in the crowd tonight. Just simple stuff like applauding for bad pitches, telling them to keep up the good work, etc.

Great game. Sitting in the stands with the rain coming down, watching our team stage a huge bottom inning comeback to take the lead which would win them the game.

When the rain delay was over and the refs decided to call the game on account of the condition of the field, the weather was so improved that they held their postgame fireworks show. :cool:

And, because of the rain, they gave out free tickets to Sunday night's game to every person at the game. Drink coupons on top of all that since we won.

Great game!

Go Miners!

BIM

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great game.

Miners beat the Samurai Bears!

Also - Falcons beat the Scorpions tonight.

Result - Mesa Miners again #1 in the Az Division.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miners are in Chico, Ca for 4 games.

First game: Complete game shutout by Manny Ayala, 2-0.

Way to go, Miners !!!

Yuma won also, 9-8 over Fullerton, so Mesa is a full game ahead of them still.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woohoo!

4 game win streak. We beat Chico 9-7.

Other good news: Fullerton beat Yuma, in Yuma, 6-5 in extra innings.

Mesa is in first by 2 games over Yuma.

Go Miners!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Yuma at Mesa 6:35 pm, August 1, 2005! Yuma is in first place!

Behold BIM, you will see what a first place team really looks like! :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Yuma at Mesa 6:35 pm, August 1, 2005! Yuma is in first place!

:lmao:

You guys just overtook us. We were in first for almost all of June/July. :doi:

It's okay. We sweep the series and we're in first again. :D

Go Miners !!!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
:lmao:

You guys just overtook us. We were in first for almost all of June/July. :doi:

It's okay. We sweep the series and we're in first again. :D

Go Miners !!!
Hey, lead ALL season as long as we are in first place on the last day of the season! :thumbup:

I hope you know I mean my posts good naturedly. :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:

:thumbup:

Mesa Back in 1st

The Mesa Miners (36-28 ) opened their three-game series against the Yuma Scorpions (35-28 ) with a 3-2 win at HoHoKam Park in Mesa, Arizona. The loss ended the Miners two-game losing streak and put them back into first place in the Arizona Division.

Mesa starter Manny Ayala (10-2) became the Golden Baseball League’s first 10-game winner. Ayala pitched 7.2 innings giving up two runs on ten hits. He also walked and struck out four batters. The Miners got on the board early by scoring two runs in the third inning. Cleatus Davidson hit a sacrifice fly and Marcus Jensen continued his hot hitting with an RBI triple. Yuma made it a one-run deficit with an RBI groundout by Billy Malone. Mesa added a run in the sixth inning with an RBI sacrifice fly by Kevin Reinking. An RBI double by Henry Calderon in the seventh made it 3-2, which would be the final score.

Mesa only had a total of four hits all off Yuma starter Jorge Perez. Perez (7-2) took the loss while pitching a complete game. Newly signed rookie pitcher Tom King pitched a scoreless 1.1 innings to pick up is first professional save.

The second game of the series continues tomorrow at 6:35pm at HoHoKam Park.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
Hey, I've heard of Marcus Jensen. Cool.

Yeah, he's a really good player and a great guy. He played for the San Francisco Giants, and locally here on the Firebirds (Giants' minor league team years ago). Great catcher who has been playing catcher and/or first base for the Miners. His son is usually with him at the games, sometimes in the dugout as a bat boy.

We've got an autographed card of his from when he was a Firebird. :cool:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
:thumbup:

Mesa Back in 1st

The Mesa Miners (36-28 ) opened their three-game series against the Yuma Scorpions (35-28 ) with a 3-2 win at HoHoKam Park in Mesa, Arizona. The loss ended the Miners two-game losing streak and put them back into first place in the Arizona Division.

Mesa starter Manny Ayala (10-2) became the Golden Baseball League’s first 10-game winner. Ayala pitched 7.2 innings giving up two runs on ten hits. He also walked and struck out four batters. The Miners got on the board early by scoring two runs in the third inning. Cleatus Davidson hit a sacrifice fly and Marcus Jensen continued his hot hitting with an RBI triple. Yuma made it a one-run deficit with an RBI groundout by Billy Malone. Mesa added a run in the sixth inning with an RBI sacrifice fly by Kevin Reinking. An RBI double by Henry Calderon in the seventh made it 3-2, which would be the final score.

Mesa only had a total of four hits all off Yuma starter Jorge Perez. Perez (7-2) took the loss while pitching a complete game. Newly signed rookie pitcher Tom King pitched a scoreless 1.1 innings to pick up is first professional save.

The second game of the series continues tomorrow at 6:35pm at HoHoKam Park.

http://www.goldenbaseball.com/

The above site still shows Yuma in first place in their division! :thumbup:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Who was pitching for the Miners last night? The Scorpions seemed to be taking BP all game long.... :shrug:

Yuma 36 28 0.563
Mesa 36 29 0.554

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Who was pitching for the Miners last night? The Scorpions seemed to be taking BP all game long.... :shrug:

Yuma 36 28 0.563
Mesa 36 29 0.554

Jon Uhl pitched until our 5-0 lead turned into a 5-4 lead. Then our 3rd baseman/pitcher Michael Done pitched...and eventually two other pitchers...Kohorst, Goodman... Everything was going well (score was 5-5) until the dust storm. Yuma was at bat and took advantage of the weather. Kinda sucks when a routine hit gets stretched to a double or triple because the outfielders can't get the ball in quickly with the storm. Yuma got 9 runs during the bad weather, then the game got called on account of the rain. We didn't get to bat in the 7th, 8th, or 9th. :bang: Second game of the year we were trailing Yuma 9-1 and still came back to win. We do really well in shootouts/high-scoring games. Sucks that it got called, especially with the two top teams playing one another. I wish they'd stop the game and finish it the next night, before the next game.

Oh well - 1/2 game back. Tonight's game, if the field is up for it, is for the division lead again. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Golden Baseball League announced today that Manny Ayala, of the Mesa Miners, has been selected as the Arizona Division Pitcher of the Week. Ayala, a 20 year-old rookie out of East Los Angeles Community College, pitched a nine-inning complete game win over the Chico Outlaws.

Since his complete game victory over Chico on July 26, Ayala beat the Yuma Scorpions on August 1 to become the GBL's first 10-game winner. He has also lowered his ERA to 2.86.

Congrats, Manny!! :cool:

Go Miners!!

Attachments

• manny_ayala2.jpg
    manny_ayala2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MESA MINERS TO JOIN INDEPENDENT 1310 KXAM

LOCAL RADIO STATION TO CARRY GAMES

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Wednesday, August 3, 2005

MESA, ARIZONA –
The Mesa Miners announced today that they have reached a deal with Independent 1310 KXAM to be the local radio affiliate of the Miners. The station will broadcast eight games this season and the majority of the 2006 Mesa Miners schedule.

Mike Haley will provide the play-by-play while John Potter and Darrell Linderman will provide the color commentary in the broadcast booth for the Miners on Independent 1310 KXAM. Haley is currently the co-host of “The Opening Drive”, and he has been covering the Miners all season by having manager Les Lancaster and centerfielder Marcus Knight on as weekly guests. Haley’s voice can also be heard during the Miner’s home games as the public address announcer.

Potter and Linderman are currently the Miner’s internet broadcasters and they each feature an extensive background in radio play-by-play and color commentary. “We are very excited to have Independent 1310 KXAM on board as our flagship station”, said Director of Public Relations Ryan Ginsberg. “With Mike, John, and Darrell calling the games, we have three experienced radio personalities that the Miners fans are going to love. This partnership is another way our fans will be able to follow the Miners at home and on the road and receive the best coverage possible.”

The coverage will feature pre and post-game interviews, in-depth exposure of the Golden Baseball League, highlights of the games, as well as “Miners Talk” a 45-minute listener call in show on Saturdays following the broadcasts. The first radio broadcast will be on Tuesday, August 16 at HoHoKam Park when the Miners will take on the Japan Samurai Bears. The next seven games to be broadcasted will be Aug 18-20 against Surprise in Mesa and the final series of the season, August 25-28 in Yuma. All coverage will start 30 minutes prior to first pitch.

The KXAM broadcasts of Miners games will also be simulcast on the internet through the team’s (www.MesaMiners.com) and the station’s websites (www.kxam.com).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Jon Uhl pitched until our 5-0 lead turned into a 5-4 lead. Then our 3rd baseman/pitcher Michael Done pitched...and eventually two other pitchers...Kohorst, Goodman... Everything was going well (score was 5-5) until the dust storm. Yuma was at bat and took advantage of the weather. Kinda sucks when a routine hit gets stretched to a double or triple because the outfielders can't get the ball in quickly with the storm. Yuma got 9 runs during the bad weather, then the game got called on account of the rain. We didn't get to bat in the 7th, 8th, or 9th. :bang: Second game of the year we were trailing Yuma 9-1 and still came back to win. We do really well in shootouts/high-scoring games. Sucks that it got called, especially with the two top teams playing one another. I wish they'd stop the game and finish it the next night, before the next game.

Oh well - 1/2 game back. Tonight's game, if the field is up for it, is for the division lead again. :thumbup:

You live in Yuma long enough, you can eat, breath, and wear dirt all day long. I wouldn't count on coming back on the Scorpions in a dust storm... ;)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yuma said:
You live in Yuma long enough, you can eat, breath, and wear dirt all day long. I wouldn't count on coming back on the Scorpions in a dust storm... ;)

:biglaugh:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great game tonight, except for the final score...Yuma 3, Mesa 2.

Next up - off day tomorrow for Mesa - Rickey Henderson bobblehead redemption day at the Horse and Hound in Gilbert. Bobbleheads, Miners players there to talk with the fans, sign autographs, etc. :thumbup:

Then - Fri-Sun series vs Fullerton.

Yuma has a Thurs-Sun series with Surprise, in Yuma.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard