The Official Hot Stove thread

AZZenny

Reaction score
As I recall, the pitchers couldn't stand him. So I'd say no, we're catchered up pretty good.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Apparently he was a bad lockerroom guy, often fighting with teammates and coaching staff. I would be surprised if we looked at him after signing Stinnet plus having two up and coming catchers.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Apparently he was a bad lockerroom guy, often fighting with teammates and coaching staff. I would be surprised if we looked at him after signing Stinnet plus having two up and coming catchers.

Agreed... I have heard only bad things about AJ... he is a good talent, and really wasnt bad last year (although he was expected to be better). I would rather go with Snyder and Hill as our catchers.

Kolo

Reaction score
Report from Gambo--didn't hear all of it--

The Diamondbacks have been trying to acquire Dave Roberts for the past month, but refused to meet the Red Sox asking price of Chad Tracy (thank God), so those talks are off--Estes might take two years to get done, which the Diamondbacks are considering--if Estes signs, no Clement--a Dunn trade was explored, but nothing came of it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
Report from Gambo--didn't hear all of it--

The Diamondbacks have been trying to acquire Dave Roberts for the past month, but refused to meet the Red Sox asking price of Chad Tracy (thank God), so those talks are off--Estes might take two years to get done, which the Diamondbacks are considering--if Estes signs, no Clement--a Dunn trade was explored, but nothing came of it.
Gambo said the Reds wanted Brandon Webb for Dunn.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Gambo also just said that "where would Podsednik play if he came to Arizona? They already have a 2B and a SS." I bet you the guy has never seen a game that didn't involve either the Yankees or the DBacks.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Gambo also just said that "where would Podsednik play if he came to Arizona? They already have a 2B and a SS." I bet you the guy has never seen a game that didn't involve either the Yankees or the DBacks.
Podsednik was traded to the White Sox for Carlos Lee... Maybe he can still come here in a deal?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Podsednik was traded to the White Sox for Carlos Lee... Maybe he can still come here in a deal?

It's a possibility, although I'd rather have Aaron Rowand. Plus, I guarantee you Ozzie Guillen is going to want to play small ball and holding onto Podsednik will make them that much better at it.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Randy Johnson - S - ARZ

TSN's Ken Rosenthal believes the Dodgers could send Shawn Green to Arizona in a three-team deal that would get Randy Johnson on the Yankees.
Javier Vazquez would go to the Dodgers, and we assume Los Angeles would have to send Edwin Jackson and cash to Arizona. The Diamondbacks would also want prospects from the Yankees.

Why would we want to take on Shawn Green's salary? And I think that Edwin Jackson had a bad year last year, but still has alot of potential. However, dont you think that the D'backs would want more than just potential in return for Johnson, because of what we got in return for Schilling?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm willing to guess the Yanks are going to throw a lot of cash, Steve Karsay, Brad Halsey, Eric Duncan and a prospect or two to go along with Edwin Jackson and Shawn Green.

I think this could actually work for all three teams involved if Edwin Jackson is as good as the scouts think he is.

It better be a lot of cash too because Shawn Green's contract is a freaking albatross of Luis Gonzalez/Jason Giambi standards.

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
It better be a lot of cash too because Shawn Green's contract is a freaking albatross of Luis Gonzalez/Jason Giambi standards.
Some sources say he signed a 6 year deal, other say 7... if it was a 6 year deal than this is the last year of that contract. Not too bad, it's about a wash with Johnson's salary

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crap! Tim Hudson just got traded to the Braves.... I was really hoping the D'backs could have gotten him

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947892

ESPN.com news services
Oakland traded right-hander Tim Hudson to the Atlanta Braves for two pitchers, left-hander Dan Meyer and right-hander Juan Cruz, and outfielder Charles Thomas on Thursday, the A's said in a press release.

Hudson, who is in the final year of a five-year contract, was 12-6 with a 3.53 ERA in 27 starts in 2003. He ranked fifth in the American League in ERA, tied for the lead in shutouts (two), tied for fourth in winning percentage (.667) and tied for fifth in complete games (three). In 183 starts in six major-league seasons, Hudson is 92-39 with a 3.30 ERA. His .702 winning percentage is third best in major-league history among pitchers with 100 or more decisions and is an Oakland record. Hudson also ranks fourth on the Oakland career list in strikeouts (899); fifth in wins; sixth in innings (1240.2) and games started (183); and tied for eighth in shutouts (eighth) and ninth in ERA.

Meyer made his major-league debut with the Braves last year, posting a 0.00 ERA in two relief appearances in September. The 23-year-old is 19-19 with a 2.71 ERA in 67 career minor-league appearances, 65 starts. Meyer was the Braves' first-round pick in the 2002 free-agent draft.

Cruz was 6-2 with a 2.75 ERA in 50 relief appearances with Atlanta last year. He struck out 70 in 72 innings. Cruz pitched for the Cubs from 2001-03 and is 14-21 with a 3.99 ERA and one save in 128 appearances over four major-league seasons.

Thomas made his major-league debut with the Braves last season and hit .288 with seven home runs and 31 RBI in 83 games. He began the season at Triple-A Richmond and was leading the International League in batting (.358) and on-base percentage (.416) when he was called up on June 23.

The trade was the first between the A's and Braves since March 29, 1977, when Oakland acquired Pablo Torreabla for cash considerations. It was the A's longest trade drought with any team.
This is obviously very significant since the Yankees were highly interested in acquiring Hudson (which would even further intensify their efforts to acquire Randy Johnson), and could somewhat determine the "fair-market value" for what the Dbacks should obtain in exchange of Randy....

Also, what it might take for the Dbacks to "net" AJ Burnett....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Crap! Tim Hudson just got traded to the Braves.... I was really hoping the D'backs could have gotten him
Tim Hudson was a pipe dream unless we traded Conor Jackson amongst others. Great deal for both teams, which usually happens when you get two outstanding GMs together.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Green's contract runs through 2005. I do think we are being too critical of Shawn Green. He showed some signs of his former self in the second half of 2004 and 2003 was purely the result of him playing through a torn labrum. Just getting the guy into BOB and away from Dodger Stadium will help him out immensely and I remember him destroying the ball here in years past.

To go along with Green/Jackson/prospects, if I were the DBacks I'd be holding out for Yhency Brozaban, a young Dodger reliever who throws gas while the Yanks send either Gordon or Karsay to the Dodgers to replace him. And as I have stated before, we shouldn't be hesitant to throw in players without roles such as Hairston, Cintron, and Hillenbrand in order to wrap up a good deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=115094

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If the Dbacks are taking Greens hideous contract then they better be getting all kinds of young big league ready talent.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Bobby Jenks of the Angels was designated for assignment, which means he is now on waivers. The guy was injured throughout 2004 and struggled but is supposed to be ready by mid-2005. Throws 100 mph with the best curve in the minors. Too good to be true, right? Well, he has some problems, notably with booze and supposedly growing up in a log cabin in Podunk Idaho under a white supremacist matriarch.

Anyways, I feel with his stuff that he'd be worth the waiver fee and I'm pretty sure we get first dibs at him.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Bobby Jenks of the Angels was designated for assignment, which means he is now on waivers. The guy was injured throughout 2004 and struggled but is supposed to be ready by mid-2005. Throws 100 mph with the best curve in the minors. Too good to be true, right? Well, he has some problems, notably with booze and supposedly growing up in a log cabin in Podunk Idaho under a white supremacist matriarch.

Anyways, I feel with his stuff that he'd be worth the waiver fee and I'm pretty sure we get first dibs at him.

I had similar thoughts when I read that he is available. He still ranks in the Top 10 of an eeeeeexcellent Angels farm system according to BA, but his background really worries me. I remember when ESPN did a clip on him and his problems. I am not sure if he is worth the risk of having him in one of our minor league clubhouses with his past problems, and he would have to be put on the 40 man roster, I believe.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

He's worth a shot. Top notch potential, and he's sure better than any SP prospect we have right now.

What's the waiver "Fee"?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Phill11 said:
He's worth a shot. Top notch potential, and he's sure better than any SP prospect we have right now.

What's the waiver "Fee"?
Jenks got picked up by the White Sox last week

Kolo

Reaction score
Rotoworld, via the NY Post--the Mets and Diamondbacks met yesterday and talked Shea Hillenbrand. They spoke at the winter meetings about Hillenbrand for Floyd, and yesterday discussed "permutations." If we could get a young arm (even in the minors) or a veteran centerfielder, I'd be happy.

Also, the Tigers signed Andrew Good to a minor league deal. I hope he gets a chance, seemed like a nice enough dude (although not a good enough pitcher).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard