The Official Hot Stove thread

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
Rotoworld, via the NY Post--the Mets and Diamondbacks met yesterday and talked Shea Hillenbrand. They spoke at the winter meetings about Hillenbrand for Floyd, and yesterday discussed "permutations." If we could get a young arm (even in the minors) or a veteran centerfielder, I'd be happy.

Also, the Tigers signed Andrew Good to a minor league deal. I hope he gets a chance, seemed like a nice enough dude (although not a good enough pitcher).

Shea to Shea?

Kolo

Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Shea to Shea?

Might be Shea to the Skydome. ESPN Insider reports the Blue Jays have offered "prospects" to AZ for Hillenbrand.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'd rather have Mike Cameron than Floyd, we need a CF with some range and Cameron has that plus he'll hit some HRs and grab some bags. I'm surprised there is this kind of market for Hillenbrand. Pull the trigger Joe, we're talking about a backup player here.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hugh Jass said:
Might be Shea to the Skydome. ESPN Insider reports the Blue Jays have offered "prospects" to AZ for Hillenbrand.

Hmm...I wonder if we could trade Hillenbrand for prospects then flip them and another player or two to Florida for Burnett, seems to fit with the rumors.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
List of non-tendered FA's:

ANAHEIM (1) -- David Eckstein, ss.

BOSTON (3) -- Lenny DiNardo, lhp; Sandy Martinez, c; Billy Traber, lhp.

CLEVELAND (2) -- Mariano Gomez, lhp; Josh Phelps, 1b.

CHICAGO (4) -- Ben Davis, c; Ryan Meaux, lhp; Scott Schoeneweis, lhp; Eduardo Villacis, rhp.

DETROIT (1) -- Eric Munson, inf.

KANSAS CITY (1) -- Miguel Asencio, rhp.

SEATTLE (2) -- Rett Johnson, rhp; Luis Ugueto, inf.

TORONTO (1) -- Kevin Frederick, rhp.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

ARIZONA (2) -- Brandon Medders, rhp; Shane Nance, lhp.

ATLANTA (2) -- Mark De Rosa, inf; Mike Hessman, inf.

CINCINNATI (3) -- D.J. Mattox, rhp; Phil Norton, lhp; John Riedling, rhp.

FLORIDA (2) -- Franklyn Gracesqui, lhp; Matt Perisho, lhp.

HOUSTON (1) -- Wade Miller, rhp.

LOS ANGELES (3) -- Alex Cora, inf; Scott Stewart, lhp; Tom Wilson, c.

MILWAUKEE (1) -- Chris Saenz, rhp.

NEW YORK (2) -- Orber Moreno, rhp; Scott Strickland, rhp.

PHILADELPHIA (5) -- Lou Collier, inf; Geoff Geary, rhp; Michel Hernandez, c; Jorge Padilla, of; Amaury Telemaco, rhp.

ST. LOUIS (1) -- So Taguchi, of.

SAN DIEGO (1) -- Brian Sweeney, rhp.

SAN FRANCISCO (3) -- Wayne Franklin, lhp; Dustan Mohr, of; Cody Ransom, inf.

Alex Cora and David Eckstein would have been nice had we not signed Counsell and Clayton. And Wade Miller's agent is going to be fiedling a lot of phone calls although I wonder if he's more hurt than he's letting on if the Stros didn't tender him a contract. Josh Phelps had a better OPS and power numbers than the guy slated to be our 1B but with much worse OBP and K/BB. Could be a good bench and situational batter. The rest of these guys are nothing to brag about unless we pick up a lefty to replace Choate or we realy need to go very cheap the rest of free agency.

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
JD Drew signs with the Dodgers for 5 years, 55 million

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
JD Drew signs with the Dodgers for 5 years, 55 million
Okay....now this doesnt add up whatsoever.....I thought the reason why the Dodgers backed out of the proposed deal was because they werent guaranteed someone to fill the void of Green..... Therefore, I guess that the primary reason why the deal did indeed fall through was that Vasquez refused to come to LA.....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KLL said:
Okay....now this doesnt add up whatsoever.....I thought the reason why the Dodgers backed out of the proposed deal was because they werent guaranteed someone to fill the void of Green..... Therefore, I guess that the primary reason why the deal did indeed fall through was that Vasquez refused to come to LA.....
There is also speculation that Green wouldn't waive his no trade clause :shrug:
Maybe the Dodgers stepped in and covered for him

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
DePodesta in his short time as GM has turned his team from one of the best defensive teams in baseball to one of the worst while not improving the offense or pitching. I like the OF with Werth, Bradley, and Drew. But right now they're looking at Green at 1B, Kent at 2B, Valentin at 3B, and no catcher on the horizon to go along with Izturis. Maybe they want Cesar to cover the entire infield. The guy needs to back away from his trusty laptop and watch the game sometime.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... now this is becoming more and more interesting....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1951207

According to the source, Green appeared ready to waive his no-trade clause to report to the Diamondbacks as part of the Johnson deal. And now that the deal has fallen apart, the Dodgers and Diamondbacks have already begun discussions on a stand-alone trade to send Green to Arizona. Details of the exact components of the trade are not yet known.
I guess Koplove and Hillenbrand would be those 2 components.....

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Spare parts for Green? I'm down but I doubt the Dodgers are.
Well....I guess the Dbacks are very enamored w/Green since they "burned their bridges" with Burnitz and I dont know what other OFs are available....

The Dodgers might be inclined to take those "spare parts" because theyre now desperate to rid of his salary so they could afford Drew and add on a solid starter....

I just hope and pray the Dbacks dont do something overly pathetic by including Hairston or Gosling in a deal to get Green..... It's just confusing... I guess I must boycott any of the media until a trade of any kind is consummated...

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
KLL said:
The Dodgers might be inclined to take those "spare parts" because theyre now desperate to rid of his salary so they could afford Drew and add on a solid starter....

With reports now coming out that the Dodgers and Drew have agreed on a 5 year deal in principle. Thats my guess as to what the case is (just getting rid of his contract).

Also with the rumors of the two sides going after each other (Dodgers aren't happy with Green and refuse to offer an extension and Green saying he doesn't want to finish his career in LA), the parting was inevitable.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Mets are setting up a meeting with Carlos Beltran. Now could be a good time to get Mike Cameron for little to nothing as he will be out until mid-April with hand surgery. We need another power threat and he has better range than Finley to roam BOB's vast CF.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ESPN insider says the Dbacks and Yankers are working on a 2 team deal?

Anybody know more?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ESPN Insider, which is always to be taken with a grain of salt, says that Kendrick is no longer interested in seeking out a third party and just wants to deal with the Yanks. Trade rumored to be:

Yankees receive:
Randy Johnson

DBacks receive:
Javier Vazquez
Brad Halsey
Melky Cabrera
Cash

sunsfn

Reaction score
Dec. 29 - Sources tell the NY Daily News that Johnson has informed a few of his Arizona teammates the trade sending him to the Yankees is complete.

The paper indicates the teams had narrowed the negotiations to two scenarios, both involving Johnson and Javier Vazquez but each differing on the prospects the Yankees would send and how much of Vazquez's contract New York would swallow.

In one proposal, the Yankees would get Johnson for Vazquez, Brad Halsey, Abel Gomez, Melky Cabrera and about $12 million in cash. The other had the Yankees sending Vazquez and higher-rated prospects Dioner Navarro and Eric Duncan and only including about $5 million in cash.

Djaughe

Reaction score
sunsfn said:
Dec. 29 - Sources tell the NY Daily News that Johnson has informed a few of his Arizona teammates the trade sending him to the Yankees is complete.

The paper indicates the teams had narrowed the negotiations to two scenarios, both involving Johnson and Javier Vazquez but each differing on the prospects the Yankees would send and how much of Vazquez's contract New York would swallow.

In one proposal, the Yankees would get Johnson for Vazquez, Brad Halsey, Abel Gomez, Melky Cabrera and about $12 million in cash. The other had the Yankees sending Vazquez and higher-rated prospects Dioner Navarro and Eric Duncan and only including about $5 million in cash.
Throw in a dozen NY bagels and call it even I say!

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The East Valley Tribune reports the Diamondbacks are now trolling for a pitcher following the Randy Johnson trade.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition, another major league source said, Arizona may pursue Oakland’s Barry Zito or Florida’s A.J. Burnett without having to surrender Javier Vazquez.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once the Shawn Green trade is finalized, the D'backs are expected to deal Shea Hillenbrand to the Toronto Blue Jays for prospects.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
The East Valley Tribune reports the Diamondbacks are now trolling for a pitcher following the Randy Johnson trade.

Quote:
In addition, another major league source said, Arizona may pursue Oakland’s Barry Zito or Florida’s A.J. Burnett without having to surrender Javier Vazquez.

How does that happen?

AZZenny

Reaction score
They actually could get Zito - give Billy Beane Conor Jackson or Carlos Quentin, and either Valverde or Aquino. I'd have to kill someone if they did that kind of deal.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
They actually could get Zito - give Billy Beane Conor Jackson or Carlos Quentin, and either Valverde or Aquino. I'd have to kill someone if they did that kind of deal.

Yea from what I'm hearing you don't give up your future bangers. They're both going to be awsome!

Kolo

Reaction score
The San Francisco Chronicle has us offering Jose Valverde for Eric Byrnes. It'd be nice if that got it done, but I doubt it.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Valverde? Wow. I would slightly prefer to keep him over Aquino, myself, and I'd think either would be a piece good enough to put into a trade for someone better than Byrnes.

While I am not thrilled to see Juarez go, I can live with Muegge and Beltran Perez - he in particular looked increasingly like a bit of a project. SO far, FO is keeping with their practice of trading well-regarded but not true top-shelf prospects. Fingers remain crossed.

Last edited: