The Official High-Definition TV thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Someone clear something up. I have the new HD channels appearing on my guide but I can't see some of them. I CAN see 245 (TNTHD). That's it. I have tried 244 (SCFIHD), 247 (TBSHD) and 248 (FXHD). No go on any of those. Don't know if I missing any others.

Last edited:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. Someone clear something up. I have the new HD channels appearing on my guide but I can't see some of them. I CAN see 245 (TNTHD). That's it. I have tried 244 (SCFIHD), 247 (TBSHD) and 248 (FXHD). No go on any of those. Don't know if I missing any others.

You need B-Band converters on each of your lines coming in. Do you have those?

Checklist:

New 5 LNB dish
B-Band converters
New HD DVR that handles Mpeg4

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need B-Band converters on each of your lines coming in. Do you have those?

Checklist:

New 5 LNB dish
B-Band converters
New HD DVR that handles Mpeg4

Check
Check
Check.

Update: I had 2 spare B-Band converters just to see if the existing B-Band converters were bad. Did an entire reset. Still no go.

Just also got off the phone with Direct TV. They were not much help. We went through the entire reset blah blah blah. Basically said my Dish must not be aligned right. I find that hard to believe considering the signal strength is excellent on all Sats. They are sending out a Tech on Tuesday.

Something tells me this is going to be an ordeal....just like every other time I have had to deal with Direct TV techs. :-(

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you receiving any sort of message on the non-working channels like "searching for signal" or "channel not purchased"?

What about channels in the 70's like 72, 73, 74, 79. Do those work?

Do you have a multi-switch or splitter installed anywhere in between the dish and the box?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question regarding direct TV and regional Fox Sports programming. Do you only receive Fox Arizona, or could you get Fox Sports West, Northwest, whatever?

I know where you are heading with this. You should get DirecTV under your sister's address. Install the dish here and get all the Lakers games. :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know where you are heading with this. You should get DirecTV under your sister's address. Install the dish here and get all the Lakers games. :)

Shhh, they won't answer the question if they know why I'm asking! :D

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
you can get all the regional sports networks - they are pretty cheap as well (something like $5 - $8 a month)

I'd just be sure that they use the mailing address as the trigger to for your coverage before running it though - me thinks the NBA would want to monitor people skirting their package as if you are an AZ account holder and you buy the sports pack you'll be able to see tons of programs on the lakers - just no lakers games

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update. It was my multi-switch causing the problem in my smarbox. I was getting the old 70 stations in HD. It was all the new ones that dropped I couldn't see at all.

Found out my older multi switch blocked the new stations all together. Tech came out and replaced multi switch and boom. Have all the new stations in all the HD glory.

:bday:

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update. It was my multi-switch causing the problem in my smarbox. I was getting the old 70 stations in HD. It was all the new ones that dropped I couldn't see at all.

Found out my older multi switch blocked the new stations all together. Tech came out and replaced multi switch and boom. Have all the new stations in all the HD glory.

Awesome! I'm glad that was resolved for you!

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't lie to us. We all know you care very little about HDTV. :D
:(

I'd LOVE to have HDTV...I hope someday to be able to afford it. Jerk.

;)

btw...watching the game on my tv Sunday sucked balls. I thought I'd be happy forever w/my 37" tv.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Woo!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:(

I'd LOVE to have HDTV...I hope someday to be able to afford it. Jerk.

;)

btw...watching the game on my tv Sunday sucked balls. I thought I'd be happy forever w/my 37" tv.

Ignorance is bliss.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ignorance is bliss.
It sure was!

I talked to my middle daughter about using my tax return on an HDTV this coming February...she was like, "What's wrong with our tv?"

Sigh.

BIM--plug your eyes--MY KINGDOM FOR A CREDIT CARD!!!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question to those with Direct TV. I get audio glitches when watching anything on WB61 through Direct TV. It's only that station. It doesn't happen with any other station I get.

I am guessing it's the station and Direct TV just gets that crappy feed. I am wondering if anybody else notices this with WB61?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question to those with Direct TV. I get audio glitches when watching anything on WB61 through Direct TV. It's only that station. It doesn't happen with any other station I get.

I am guessing it's the station and Direct TV just gets that crappy feed. I am wondering if anybody else notices this with WB61?

I haven't noticed but I usually only catch the odd episode of Star Trek, otherwise I don't watch 61 that often. Are you watching the DirecTV feed or off-the-air with an antenna? I prefer the OTA feed myself.

You're probably right about the problem though, usually DirecTV is pretty good at just pushing what they get straight down. If your using OTA, than it has nothing to do with DirecTV.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed but I usually only catch the odd episode of Star Trek, otherwise I don't watch 61 that often. Are you watching the DirecTV feed or off-the-air with an antenna? I prefer the OTA feed myself.

You're probably right about the problem though, usually DirecTV is pretty good at just pushing what they get straight down. If your using OTA, than it has nothing to do with DirecTV.

No, it's the Direct TV feed I am watching. It is the only station that does that to me. It stinks.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it's the Direct TV feed I am watching. It is the only station that does that to me. It stinks.

Lame, if you have the H-20, HR10-250 or the HR-20, you could plug in an antenna, (any antenna usually works) and try to pick up the OTA feed. It depends on how far away you are from South Mtn, but I've heard of people just connecting a piece of coax cable and receiving some of the digital channels. I would hope that would clear it up.

If you don't have any of those models, I don't know what to tell you. :sad:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I asked this before:

I don't need a new DVD playa if I get an HD TV, right?

you asked me before, and the answer is no. But you should. HDDVD player. :)