The Official High-Definition TV thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
don't pay that much for shipping - i just had my 10-250 upgraded and it only cost like $20 for the shipping and they offered a free install as well

but definitely call and have them upgrade it - it's well worth it

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you have the new HR20 DVR?

Do you have the little grab tube things on the back?

Are you getting any other new HD channels?

Do buy it or do you have do you rent it and pay a monthly fee?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
they made you pay for the actual receiver?!

right now they aren't issuing the 10-250 to any new customers and I was told by retentions they arent' supposed to even send them out of the warehouse

she said that usually once you click on the current equipment the system prompts for an auto upgrade - mine didn't - so she told me some potential problems my receiver could be facing and if I were to tell her I was experiencing problems with my 10-250 they would have to send a replacement unit

just happens the replacement unit turned out to be the new equipment

shipping was the only cost - $20

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they made you pay for the actual receiver?!

right now they aren't issuing the 10-250 to any new customers and I was told by retentions they arent' supposed to even send them out of the warehouse

she said that usually once you click on the current equipment the system prompts for an auto upgrade - mine didn't - so she told me some potential problems my receiver could be facing and if I were to tell her I was experiencing problems with my 10-250 they would have to send a replacement unit

just happens the replacement unit turned out to be the new equipment

shipping was the only cost - $20

Not the 10-250, I have the HR20-700, that's what I'm talking about.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New channel released this morning on DTV!

MHD - 332

It's like all HD music concerts and stuff. So awesome! All in 5.1 Dolby too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New channel released this morning on DTV!

MHD - 332

It's like all HD music concerts and stuff. So awesome! All in 5.1 Dolby too.

Cox has had that channel for over a year now. :)

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Okay cool! Called DTV after the good advice from you guys regarding the new HD channels and DTV sent out a newer HD-DVR. Just got it today. That was quick!

BUT...after I finished installing it, all the new HD channels DID NOT come in. The old ones did just fine (70-79) as did the regular channels, but not the new HD channels.

So called DTV tech and we worked through a bunch of crap for like an hour. Finally the guy says I have a "bad cable" connecting to Sat. 2. Okay hang up, go get another cable...hook it up and still not working correctly. Arrggghhh! I knew it wasn't the "cable".

Call DTV again and in 2 minutes this dude figured it out and asked do I have the LBN-5 or LBN-3. Well, I had the old one that worked with my old receiver. I had the LBN-3.

Come to find out I need the newer one LBN-5. Wouldn't you think that DTV would've seen that I had the old one and let me know that I need the newer dish to go along with my order of the HD-DVR. :shrug:

Anyways...I'm happy though cuz they are sending out a tech to install new LBN-5 dish for free. Oh and I forgot to mention....the new HD-DVR was also free. Just paid the $20 2-Day overnight shipping. Not too shabby! :grabs:

Thanks for everyones (Chandler Mike) help!!! Much appreciated!!! :cheers:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay cool! Called DTV after the good advice from you guys regarding the new HD channels and DTV sent out a newer HD-DVR. Just got it today. That was quick!

BUT...after I finished installing it, all the new HD channels DID NOT come in. The old ones did just fine (70-79) as did the regular channels, but not the new HD channels.

So called DTV tech and we worked through a bunch of crap for like an hour. Finally the guy says I have a "bad cable" connecting to Sat. 2. Okay hang up, go get another cable...hook it up and still not working correctly. Arrggghhh! I knew it wasn't the "cable".

Call DTV again and in 2 minutes this dude figured it out and asked do I have the LBN-5 or LBN-3. Well, I had the old one that worked with my old receiver. I had the LBN-3.

Come to find out I need the newer one LBN-5. Wouldn't you think that DTV would've seen that I had the old one and let me know that I need the newer dish to go along with my order of the HD-DVR. :shrug:

Anyways...I'm happy though cuz they are sending out a tech to install new LBN-5 dish for free. Oh and I forgot to mention....the new HD-DVR was also free. Just paid the $20 2-Day overnight shipping. Not too shabby! :grabs:

Thanks for everyones (Chandler Mike) help!!! Much appreciated!!! :cheers:

Wow, a free HD DVR, how did you manage that? I was told $99 to upgrade the one in the bedroom too.

Good job, I wish they'd have told you about the Dish and not make you have to go through the trouble...sometimes they are just clueless :)

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow, a free HD DVR, how did you manage that? I was told $99 to upgrade the one in the bedroom too.

Well to be perfectly honest...I had to call DTV twice in the last month because our system (receiver) was freezing up. It would just go black and forever would go by until I would finally unplug the unit from the wall and go through all that jive of rebooting.

So long story short...when I called this last time to ask about why we were not getting the newer HD channels in HD (which was explained to me in this very thread that I need the newer Mpeg-4 unit to get new channels :thumbup:)...I simply reminded the lady that we were still having trouble with our current unit freezing-up. We went through a couple quick checks until she finally said, "Well, looks like we need to send you out a new unit."

I played dumb, and asked if not only would this new unit help with not "freezing-up", but would I also be able to receive the newer HD channels??? She said yes, all units we send out now will be upgraded and compatible to receive all of DTV's new HD channels. I said...oh you must be talking about the newer Mpeg-4's, and she said yes.

So yesterday a new HR20 arrived! Yippee! :)

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love how excited you guys get over your electronic toys. It's so cute.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
good stuff

az shocker - also make sure that when the new dish is installed you have the adapter between your line from the satellite and your receiver - can't remember it's technical name right now, but it helps ensure that you get all the new HD

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
az shocker - also make sure that when the new dish is installed you have the adapter between your line from the satellite and your receiver - can't remember it's technical name right now, but it helps ensure that you get all the new HD

Yeah whatever they call that we found out it didn't come with the new system so we are still waiting on that "adapter" thingy to be shipped. Should be here anyday. Geez...all this to trouble to get all the HD channels. lol It'll be worth it though.

p.s. That's awesome FX is now in HD. C'mon adapter...get here!!! :grabs:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah whatever they call that we found out it didn't come with the new system so we are still waiting on that "adapter" thingy to be shipped. Should be here anyday. Geez...all this to trouble to get all the HD channels. lol It'll be worth it though.

p.s. That's awesome FX is now in HD. C'mon adapter...get here!!! :grabs:

Too bad I haven't seen any content on that in HD yet...hopefully soon.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new TV at Fry's tonight. Mitsubishi WD-65734 DLP. 65 inches and 1080p. The picture quality is OUTSTANDING! Truly one of the best pictures I've ever seen. Got the five year warranty on this one and if they need to repair it, they do it on-site and if it has to be taken in for service, they give me a loaner TV of the same level.

Best part about it, 500 days no payments, no interest. That goes for all Mits TVs there.

HOWEVER...it has a problem and I'll either have to have it repaired immediately or have them replace it. On the left hand side, on any type of pan, there's a "crease" and the image pulls like a fun-house mirror. We noticed it first on a basketball game. It is about 3/4 the way in from the left hand side. I thought it might be only because of the fast pan in basketball, but I was watching a fireworks show in HD and a very, very slow pan made a rock wall expand out. Then it did it the same way on a bridge...it looked like the bridge was growing longer. Really weird. It isn't a pincushioning issue, and it only happens in that same spot, every time. I'll probably end up having them replace the unit entirely. I couldn't find this issue on the AVS forums and everyone seems to really love the TV other than a whirring issue that some people have. I don't have it (it does make sound cooling, but it is so not noticable unless it is dead silent in the house.

The TV has 4 HDMI inputs, one on the front, and three component inputs (one on the front). I'll be able to hook up my xbox 360directly (which I couldn't do on my old hitachi), as well as my old PS2 and my upcoming Wii (the latter two on the standard jacks, not component). Then I can ditch the switcher device I have which is kind of a pain in the ass.

Really happy with the new TV, even with the problem that will get fixed. It's just got amazing picture quality.

A guy on the AVS forums uploaded these shots of his unit...show the pic quality:

You must be registered for see images attach

At just under 3K with tax and the 5 year warranty, and no payments until early 2009, (though I'll have it paid off before it comes due) I'm very happy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, it has been done for a while now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort