The Official High-Definition TV thread

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Comcast digital box but it has no HDMI outputs. I need to get an adapter but I have a question. What is the difference between a HDMI-to-Female-DVI Adapter and a HDMI Male to DVI-D Female adapter [DVI-F]?

I'm assuming I would need to purchase the HDMI-to-Female-DVI adapter. Is that correct?

Thanks!

What is the model number of the comcast STB?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I'd just use the component and the optical out for audio. There may be some loss in the DVI-HDMI adapter, and the difference is minimal anyway.

This is probably the easiest/cheapest method. If you don't have a "real" component cable, just use 3 yellow composite RCA cables that you can label yourself as R (red) G (green) and B (blue). There should be no noticeable difference in quality.

I've also seen many reports of "handshake" issues with the HDMI-DVI adapters in some systems.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ok.... Here is a question for the masses. I just upgraded my main DirecTv reciever to the HR-20. Now.... My wife has told me to go ahead and get my first "big" tv.

I am looking for a 50 to 55 inch unit, preferably Plasma or LCD. I am also looking to get 1080 over 720 since things seem to be going that way. So here are my questions:

1. Which is better Plasma or LCD? Short / Long term? Plasma's price has come down a lot since I was last in the market.
2. Currently I like the Samsung's with DLP... What is a really solid model that I should look at?
3. If you had no budget... What TV would you buy?
4. Finally, I need tips for picking out a good model when I have 50 staring me right in the face at the store. Any good tests? Or ways to pick out the best?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.... Here is a question for the masses. I just upgraded my main DirecTv reciever to the HR-20. Now.... My wife has told me to go ahead and get my first "big" tv.

I am looking for a 50 to 55 inch unit, preferably Plasma or LCD. I am also looking to get 1080 over 720 since things seem to be going that way. So here are my questions:

1. Which is better Plasma or LCD? Short / Long term? Plasma's price has come down a lot since I was last in the market.
2. Currently I like the Samsung's with DLP... What is a really solid model that I should look at?
4. Finally, I need tips for picking out a good model when I have 50 staring me right in the face at the store. Any good tests? Or ways to pick out the best?

1. I like and have heard that LCD is better for sports. It's definitely brighter and vibrant. I've seen sports on my buddy's DLP and I don't like it much.

2. Sony's are great LCD's, that's for sure...you can't go wrong.

3. No budget, I'd probably get a flat-panel Sony 50 inch LCD, the best one I could find.

4. Basically, go to a place where they are all hooked up to good HD material...and just look them over...see which picture really stands out to you.

I also warn against getting a DLP or Plasma with a glossy glass screen cover...it really shows a lot of glare.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Before deciding on Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCoS, etc., you should decide on a budget. Once you have your budget, then you can look at what TV you should buy.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Let your eyes choose. I personally think that Plasma is better, but if you're going to play video games on the tv, then history shows that the plasma wears out faster...Do you want the best picture quality or the longer tv life span? I have a 5 year old 42" plasma, and it's having problems, but my next tv will also be a plasma, since the picture looks better to ME and that is what I'm looking for.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Before deciding on Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCoS, etc., you should decide on a budget. Once you have your budget, then you can look at what TV you should buy.

Thanks for the help Mike. My wife really likes the Sony's.

DCR.... My budget will probably be under $3000. Probably closer to $2500.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Mike. My wife really likes the Sony's.

DCR.... My budget will probably be under $3000. Probably closer to $2500.

I have the 60" Sony. It has been rock solid. The only thing that I don't like about it, is that it will not turn itself off after X minutes if it doesn't recognize a signal. My old Mitsubishi would turn itself off in 5 minutes if it didn't recognize a video feed.

If you have any questions about it. Let me know.

With $2500, you could get into any of the TV formats. How big do you want to go? What will you be watching the most on your new TV? (for example like 25% movies, 25% video games, 40% Standard TV 10% HDTV)

You should be able to find the same Sony that I have KDS-60A2020 for less than $2500.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have the 60" Sony. It has been rock solid. The only thing that I don't like about it, is that it will not turn itself off after X minutes if it doesn't recognize a signal. My old Mitsubishi would turn itself off in 5 minutes if it didn't recognize a video feed.

If you have any questions about it. Let me know.

With $2500, you could get into any of the TV formats. How big do you want to go? What will you be watching the most on your new TV? (for example like 25% movies, 25% video games, 40% Standard TV 10% HDTV)

You should be able to find the same Sony that I have KDS-60A2020 for less than $2500.

Well,

I am looking at 50 to 55 inches. Probably 20% DVD's, 60% HD (on my new HR20 from Directv), and 20% Standard.

I watch alot of sports, have Superfan & League Pass, etc.... Don't play any video games, and watch alot of local channels, which are HD in Harrisburg.

Thanks for the indepth help man.... This is good stuff.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,

I am looking at 50 to 55 inches. Probably 20% DVD's, 60% HD (on my new HR20 from Directv), and 20% Standard.

I watch alot of sports, have Superfan & League Pass, etc.... Don't play any video games, and watch alot of local channels, which are HD in Harrisburg.

Thanks for the indepth help man.... This is good stuff.

If you got $2500, get the 60" Trust me. Size matters :) I wish I still had the 70."

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite all of DCR's guidance, Mulli's board of directors has decided he needs to wait until after Xmas. He agrees.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
new hd channels coming

Here's a news blurb from cox.com:
Cox Communications, Inc. announced today an agreement with Discovery Communications that will pave the way for a significant expansion of its HD line-up with four high-definition networks -- Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and The Science Channel. These HD networks will be launched on a market-by-market basis.

So thats pretty sweet... I'm looking forward to Survivorman and Mythbusters in HD...

Hopefully Phoenix gets them soon

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want HDNet. That's the only channel, (besides more sports channels) that I really want.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Here's a news blurb from cox.com:

So thats pretty sweet... I'm looking forward to Survivorman and Mythbusters in HD...

Hopefully Phoenix gets them soon

Cox HD lineup is SEVERELY dissappointing.

Mojo and the HD Music channel are extremely repetative. and other than TNT and ESPN HD they arent all that much more special that just broadcast HD.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cox HD lineup is SEVERELY dissappointing.

Mojo and the HD Music channel are extremely repetative. and other than TNT and ESPN HD they arent all that much more special that just broadcast HD.

DTV finally has USA and TBA in HD, and watching these baseball playoffs on TBSHD is great!

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
DTV finally has USA and TBA in HD, and watching these baseball playoffs on TBSHD is great!

What channel is TBS HD on??? The regular TBS channel on DTV is on channel 247 and the Angel/Red Sox game doesn't appear to be in HD. At least if it is...it is disappointing cuz the local channel 3.1 offers a much better HD delivery for D-Back games. Maybe the TBS HD is on a different channel or something. Am I missing something?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What channel is TBS HD on??? The regular TBS channel on DTV is on channel 247 and the Angel/Red Sox game doesn't appear to be in HD. At least if it is...it is disappointing cuz the local channel 3.1 offers a much better HD delivery for D-Back games. Maybe the TBS HD is on a different channel or something. Am I missing something?

You are missing something.

If you are using Favorites, then switch to ALL CHANNELS, then go look and you'll see TWO 247's....

You can also do ALL CHANNELS, then just look at HD CHANNELS and I think you're going to end up finding a bunch of them now :)

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hmmmm....I did the "All Channel" thing but only one 247 is showing. Tried doing it a few different ways and still only one 247 channel. Hmmm...

Thanks though ChandlerMike! :)

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....I did the "All Channel" thing but only one 247 is showing. Tried doing it a few different ways and still only one 247 channel. Hmmm...

Thanks though ChandlerMike! :)

Do you have the new HR20 DVR?

Do you have the little grab tube things on the back?

Are you getting any other new HD channels?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort