The Official Diamondbacks Offseason Thread

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I don't think we give up on Tracy. I think the injuries and never having consistent time because of those injuries is why he never had it, even in the few games he played. But then again, do we want Cojack leaving? I think its safe to say Reynolds isn't going anywhere. Cojack and Tracy both have to be on the lookout.

What about at second base? I think next year is O-Dog's last year of his contract. Do we try out Bonifacio and give him the starting job if O-Dog isn't resigned?

AZHEAD

Reaction score
I never understood the rush to sign him to that deal, his production was OK but he is what he is, there is no upside to Byrnes.

That was the worst possible move the D-backs could have made with byrnes. Good baseball clubs never let the fans pressure them into signing players. If they were going to hand out a contract, it should have gone to Orlando Hudson. A far more consistent player, at the plate and on the field. Now good ol' Byrnsie is showing us with his comments in recent interviews that the Diamondbacks could not have given a contract to a worse person...Unless they decide to hook up Alberto Callaspo.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully by 2009 Byrnes will be sitting on the bench and request a trade as the starting outfield will consist of Gonzalez, Young and Upton.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Hopefully by 2009 Byrnes will be sitting on the bench and request a trade as the starting outfield will consist of Gonzalez, Young and Upton.

Very, very unlikely. If all three are still here in 2009, I'd be shocked.. And if I'm a gambling man, I'd say that regrettably Gonzalez is the odd man out here and I think he's the first to go in any trade for a quality starting pitcher.

I'm almost resigned to the fact that he's gone and instead hope and believe that Josh Byrnes will have the good sense enough to get a bonafide young, quality arm rather than being hoodwinked for another Elmer Dessens type deal.

If they pick up a guy like Jeremy Bonderman, Adam Loewen or Joe Blanton or someone of that magnitude then I have no issues with trading Gonzalez. Sadly, as good as I think he's going to be, it's all about supply and demand, Upton and Young factor more in to the long term plans for Arizona and Byrnes is way too expensive to sit on the pine.

It's kind of funny we're having this discussion, because if I've talked to one person who's bitched about Arizona letting Luis Gonzalez leave, I've talked to them all. These are the same people who had the "WE HAVE TO KEEP BYRNES BECAUSE HE'S THE FACE OF THE FRANCHISE" mentality and wanted to hear nothing about the potential long term negative ramifications of keeping/re-signing Byrnes and what the similar ramifications would have been in keeping Gonzo. Yet again, according to a few there, Gambo and Ash, as well as the writers of the Arizona Republic stated keeping Byrnes was a must-do proposition, so of course it must be the gospel.

As I said in other posts, I like Car-Go.. I really do think he's going to be a hell of a baseball player when its all said and done. Yet, if he's still in the organization when pitchers and catchers report in February, I'll be shocked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Santana scares me. He was considered a top prospect a couple of years ago but he is coming off a horrible year, if it were Quentin or Tracy for him straight up I would consider it.

At this point, I'm actually thinking a straight swap of Quentin for Santana would appease the Halos and it works for both sides as both are in the same roundabout boat.

Scared by him? I'm not sure. His numbers dipped last year, however he also had to adjust to a new pitching coach, who had a vastly different approach from Bud Black's, and thus I think that more than anything caused the dip in his numbers. I look at him as someone that still has a very high ceiling, a guy who won 28 games in his first two seasons as a pro. Plus, his mechanics seemed much improved and he seemed back to normal after getting sent down to the minors this year, so whatever issues he had I think were pushed behind him.

And realistically, while a 14 loss season is discouraging for a pitcher, I also look at other factors and don't really go as far as calling it a disaster. Granted, he's not going to be taking home any Cy Youngs with the season he had, but I also still think in spite of the 14 losses, there's still a lot worth looking in to there. He'd be the perfect #2 here, he's a different pitcher from Webb and Davis and would add that dimension to the rotation. Plus, he could work with Bryan Price and three consumate veterans in Webb, Johnson and Davis who would be able to mold him in to the pitcher he's capable of becoming.

I dunno, I think a rotation long term of Webb,Santana,Owings, Davis and Petit is a pretty enticing and promising one. You throw Max Scherzer and his potential long term value in there, and I'm definitely excited.

Dontrelle Willis seems like the most logical choice, not impressed w/ Lee.
Lester should be available since they got Bucholz (sp??) waiting in the wings. I would be interested in Reyes.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Curt Schilling posted this yesterday about his future on SoSH. Could the Diamondbacks be in his future? Here is what he wrote:

It's not any different than it was at the beginning of the year. This is my first choice, I want a one year deal and it will be a deal that works for the team and myself. If it's other than Boston then the dollars will be a significant factor, along with the teams ability to contend, or field an incredibly talented blend of young players that are on the cusp of being very good. I would like to think a serious contender would be interested if Boston doesn't work out, but if for some reason that doesn't happen then I'd really like to be a part of a talented group of young up and coming pitchers that want to win.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Rumor has it that Torre and Mattingly are headed to the Dodgers. Now that's going to tighten some screws for the Diamondbacks.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/10/30/bc.bbo.torre.report/index.html

My source WASN'T bullshitting me. Granted, he said nothing about Mattingly, although it makes perfect sense.

The Dodgers bring Torre in on a two-three year deal, groom Donnie Baseball as the manager of the future. Plus, Mattingly's son is in the Dodger system.. So this makes perfect sense and is a good move by LA.

Ironically, what my source also told me is that Torre and Mattingly headed to LA could also hinge on Alex Rodriguez's decision and don't be too surprised if the Dodgers pony up the buck to get A-Rod.

Let's face it, LA is HURTING for an identity, plus someone who can put the ball in the stands. A-Rod's both.

Also, if I'm not mistaken A-Rod's got some friends on the Dodger roster (i/e Nomar Garciaparra) who would also influence him to come over.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Torre does as well as he did the last time he managed in the National League. I like the guy, but...

DKCards

Reaction score
Just heard that Tony Clark filed for FA. Is he the odd man out between Him, CoJac, and Tracy? I know the Byrnes has said that he wants to sign him but at the same time has not been negotiating with him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel we need to sign Curt Schilling, he along with Webb, Johnson (if healthy), Davis, & Owings would get us to the WS.

I do have a couple alternatives though.

Trade 1 - Trade Quentin & Petit for RHP Ervin Santana. I was against Santana but I feel with his age he will get better.

Trade 2 - Trade Tracy, Nippert, & either Cruz or Pena for LHP Dontrelle Willis. Rumor has it FLA is going to trade Cabrera so they will need a 3B to replace him & Tracy's contract is very affordable. They also get a potential SP and a good reliever for a guy that struggled last year.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just reviewed the SI FA list.

Four names jumped out at me:

C Jorge Posada - He is 36 but you could slide him to 1B and platoon him with Snyder at C to limit the wear & tear on him.

1B Ryan Klesko - He is getting up there in age but the guy still has power, in case Clark walks.

LF Geoff Jenkins - He could be put at 1B, guy had a down year but is a 30+ HR threat every year.

SP Freddy Garcia - Another guy geting up there in age but would be a nice #2 SP.

The hitters would be good signings if we were to trade Conor for either a SP or power bat.

Last edited:

scXfreakX

Huh?
Reaction score
I heard the Padres were going to make an offer for Jenkins. I was thinking about him also. He'd be a nice free agent bat to pick up.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
According to today's AZ Republic we are interested in the Angel's Ervin Santana & Tiger's Jeremy Bonderman. Article also mentioned the Twin's Carlos Silva as a FA target.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I just saw (ESPN rumor mill) that Billy Bean is interested in trading Dan Haren for the right prospects to rebuild his farm system. I say you definitely look into that. Haren is legit and worthy of a trade involving the likes of Carlos Gonzalez.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just saw (ESPN rumor mill) that Billy Bean is interested in trading Dan Haren for the right prospects to rebuild his farm system. I say you definitely look into that. Haren is legit and worthy of a trade involving the likes of Carlos Gonzalez.

I read on the FSN that Beane may be willing to unload Joe Blanton as well as Chavez in order to rebuild.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I also just read that TB may be willing to trade LHP Scott Kazmir for some ML talent. I don't believe this rumor at all but if it is true the D-Rays are ********. They robbed him from the Mets a couple of years ago for Victor Zambrano, easily one of the worst trades of all time.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
I also just read that TB may be willing to trade LHP Scott Kazmir for some ML talent. I don't believe this rumor at all but if it is true the D-Rays are ********. They robbed him from the Mets a couple of years ago for Victor Zambrano, easily one of the worst trades of all time.

This rumor is correct-- Tampa's GM has more or less stated that there's not one player on his roster he wouldn't listen to offers for, and more than one person has told me the Rays stated Kazmir can be had for the right price.

Let me tell you this, forget Willis and Santana.. If Kazmir's available, I tell Tampa's GM that Brandon Webb, Chris Young and Justin Upton are off limits, and tell them to have their pick of anyone else.

Kazmir is a stud, who's not even come CLOSE to reaching what he's capable of. Like I said, I would put no limits on what I'd offer for the guy outside of Young and Upton.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This rumor is correct-- Tampa's GM has more or less stated that there's not one player on his roster he wouldn't listen to offers for, and more than one person has told me the Rays stated Kazmir can be had for the right price.

Let me tell you this, forget Willis and Santana.. If Kazmir's available, I tell Tampa's GM that Brandon Webb, Chris Young and Justin Upton are off limits, and tell them to have their pick of anyone else.

Kazmir is a stud, who's not even come CLOSE to reaching what he's capable of. Like I said, I would put no limits on what I'd offer for the guy outside of Young and Upton.

IMO he is the best SP available this offseason. Santana, Willis, Haren, Garland aren't even close. He is a LHP throwing mid to high 90's, led the AL in K's which he will eventually lead the majors very soon and he is only 23 years old.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
IMO he is the best SP available this offseason. Santana, Willis, Haren, Garland aren't even close. He is a LHP throwing mid to high 90's, led the AL in K's which he will eventually lead the majors very soon and he is only 23 years old.

:yeahthat:

The guy is a beast already and has yet to come close to peaking out. You get him, and you have a the best 1-2 rotation in baseball. There are very few players I'd even think twice of breaking the bank for, my history on here will indicate as such.. Yet, Kazmir to me is one of those guys you go in to negotiations saying "Name Your Price".