The Official Diamondbacks Offseason Thread

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
The other question is - Does Randy ever pitch again? If he does, can he be a legit #2?
I have doubts that he'll last a full season or even a full two months, but if he does somehow I think he can do a good job.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For you CoJack bashers, check out his second-half stats.

Yes, his defense needs work. But, he is a MAJOR reason that the Dbacks made the post-season.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Well, I say it is a given that we pick up a starting pitcher in the off-season. While I would like that pitcher to be young, I think he will be around 28-32 years old.

Some interesting guys to look at:
RHP Freddy Garcia - He won't come cheap but maybe GMs will be worried after he got hurt.

RHP Jason Jennings - Only 29 years old but after having a good year in 2006, he was injured most of the summer.

RHP Kip Wells - Has always had great stuff... but never had good results.

Overall, I am not too impressed with any of these choices (outside of Garcia, but he would cost too much anyway). I think it is highly likely that the D'backs trade away someone like CoJack,Tracy, or Quentin (let's face it, he is gone) with something else in order to acquire a pitcher.

My wish list:
RHP Joe Blanton

Interesting list, especially the latter three however Garcia's coming off an absolutely horrendous season and I wouldn't touch that guy with a ten foot pole.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbacks starters next year:

C - Snyder - great second half. Will only be 27
1B - CoJack - great second half as well. Will be 25, starting third full season
2B - Hudson
3B - Reynolds
LF - Byrnes
CF - Young
RF - Upton

Bench
Salazer/Quentin
Clark
Ojeda
Montero

No real need to change anything...

Logjam at the corners - what to do with Chad??

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Either way, I think we've all seen Conor play his last game in a Dback uniform.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, this year - Isn't Jackson due for a new contract after next year? My thought is - Jackson is worth more as trade bait than a cheap 1B player.

Sounds like a question a basketball fan would ask :)

No, Jackson is under control of the DBacks for the next 4 years, with this year still getting paid whatever the team allots his basically (no arbitration). He was paid $392 thousand last year. He won't make more than $500 thousand this year.

This team is on a serious budget. Like lower third of the league kinda money. It doesn't have the resources to trade up on a position. It needs to fill it's wholes with it's spare parts. This leaves us with Jackson or Tracy at 1B if we're making that decision now.

I think because of Jackson's faults: One position player, not good defensively, not much power from 1B; that Tracy is actually the better trade chip.

Tracy is more expensive, but not too much so. Tracy can play multiple positions, Tracy has enough pop for 3B.

Jackson covers well enough the place we need him to for what he will cost the org. and his value vs. cost is worth more than his value to other teams.

Jackson is a RHB while Tracy is a LHB which makes Tony Clark redundant at 1B if he's resigned and if he's not, who's playing 1B when we face a LHP? Conor hits RHP much better than Tracy LHP.

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
I thought cojack finaly started to show something at the end of the season.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Logjam at the corners - what to do with Chad??

Assuming we stick with Jackson and Reynolds as the starters (and I think we should) you could either use Tracy as the back-up to both of them and then you wouldn't need Clark.

Or you could keep Clark and use Ojeda as the 3B back-up and then you wouldn't need Tracy.

Considering Tracy is already under contract, and he plays 2 positions, and he's younger, I say let Clark walk.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assuming we stick with Jackson and Reynolds as the starters (and I think we should) you could either use Tracy as the back-up to both of them and then you wouldn't need Clark.

Or you could keep Clark and use Ojeda as the 3B back-up and then you wouldn't need Tracy.

Considering Tracy is already under contract, and he plays 2 positions, and he's younger, I say let Clark walk.

There is no way the Diamondbacks are going to use Tracy as a backup for what they are paying him. I think they sign Clark to a one-year contract and then they will try and trade either Tracy or Jackson.

Clark will come cheap and not only will he be a good backup, he will benefit the team in the locker room.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no way the Diamondbacks are going to use Tracy as a backup for what they are paying him. I think they sign Clark to a one-year contract and then they will try and trade either Tracy or Jackson.

Clark will come cheap and not only will he be a good backup, he will benefit the team in the locker room.

If they do sign Clark, what is the benifit to keep Tracy? Neither can hit LHP --especially Tracy-- so you have no platoon advantage.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But who will take Chad's contract? Two years left...

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one expects the Diamondbacks to win 90 games again while being outscored by their opponents.

The Diamondbacks certainly don't see that happening, but that's because they don't expect to be outscored in 2008. The Diamondbacks are hopeful that their young base of talent, which helped carry them into the National League Championship Series, will continue to blossom and improve as it did throughout the 2007 season.

For examples, look no further than center fielder Chris Young and third baseman Mark Reynolds. Young's second-half numbers improved across the board compared with his first half; Reynolds' August and September showed he was able to put his struggles of June and July behind him.

The postseasons of Stephen Drew and Justin Upton also gave glimpses of what the organization believes they are capable of over the course of a season.

"This can only help us moving forward, knowing what to expect," Reynolds said of the team's postseason experience. "We'll get here again, knowing the feelings, the atmosphere, the pressures, everything. We've got a young nucleus and it's going to be fun to see what happens in the future."

So although the Diamondbacks were last in the league in average and on-base percentage, General Manager Josh Byrnes said the focus this off-season most likely will be on pitching, namely starting pitching.

Because Byrnes rarely looks for help in the free-agent market, that would mean he likely will spend much of the next 10 weeks on the phone, discussing possible trades.

He has some pieces that could be attractive to other teams. Outfielders Carlos Quentin and Carlos Gonzalez have promise but no place to play with the Diamondbacks. Arizona also has a glut of corner infielders, meaning Chad Tracy or Conor Jackson could be dangled in trades.

And Byrnes mentioned the club's strong bullpen and its depth of relievers waiting in the minor leagues, which could suggest he would be willing to move a pitcher, perhaps Juan Cruz, in the right deal.

Since they probably won't find front-line starters available, the Diamondbacks could look to make a deal similar to what they did last year with Doug Davis, who was coming off an off year with Milwaukee in 2006 but rebounded in Arizona. Cleveland's Cliff Lee, the Angels' Ervin Santana and Baltimore's Daniel Cabrera could fall into that category.

Or they could go after more unproven arms, perhaps trying to convince the Mets or Twins to give up one of their young starters.

However Byrnes does it, he will be trying to create depth behind a rotation that figures to include Brandon Webb, Randy Johnson, Davis and Micah Owings.

Johnson's status is a major question mark. He is coming off the third back surgery of his career and second in two years. The club can't realistically expect a full season from the 44-year-old.

"I think we have to plan as if you can never have enough pitching," Byrnes said. "If Randy's healthy and throwing like he always has, you're always going to have a spot for Randy Johnson in your rotation. But I think it's probably prudent that we plan to be aggressive and get as much pitching as we can."

They also have some internal options.

Some believe Dustin Nippert, who spent most of 2007 as a reliever, still could be a starter. Left-hander Dana Eveland has nothing left to prove in the minor leagues. There are others, too, who moved through the farm system in 2007, including Max Scherzer, Greg Smith and Esmerling Vasquez.

Byrnes said the team's payroll, which was nearly $70 million this season, should increase next year. Though he didn't give a number, a figure of about $75 million seems likely.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/1020dbacksside1021.html

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm going on record to say that trading a promising OF because we have Eric Byrnes is going to come back and bite us in the butt. Only 2 of those OF spots should be considered filled...Upton & Young, Byrnes should be a 4th OF, pinch hitter, pinch runner and nothing more. Let Gonzalez start '08 in the minors, if he is playing as well as expected call him up for the second half of the season and let Byrnes be the "relief" OF.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'm going on record to say that trading a promising OF because we have Eric Byrnes is going to come back and bite us in the butt. Only 2 of those OF spots should be considered filled...Upton & Young, Byrnes should be a 4th OF, pinch hitter, pinch runner and nothing more. Let Gonzalez start '08 in the minors, if he is playing as well as expected call him up for the second half of the season and let Byrnes be the "relief" OF.

I'm thinking your on to something there. But they can't justify that salary for a b/u!

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score

Unfortunately, with his newly signed salary, he's way too expensive to be a relief OF.

I do agree that trading one of the young OF is going to come back to haunt Arizona though..

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
But who will take Chad's contract? Two years left...

He's only slated to make $3.75 million next year and $4.75 million in '09. His contract is hardly an albatross; one that is going to deter teams from trading for him.

In fact, for a team like Philadelphia who desperately needs help at 3B, I'd say $3.75 million is quite a reasonable bargain when you consider he immediately would improve their weakest every day position and his ability to play 1st would allow them to give Ryan Howard a break every now and again.

Look, my views on the Tracy or Jackson arguments are by no means a slam towards Tracy's talent. In his own ways, Chad is a very valuable asset. However, when it comes right down to it, if it's him or CoJack, I'm going with Jackson simply based off the individual ceilings of each. Tracy has more or less already reached his pinnacle of what he's capable of, where as CoJack has only just began the climb.

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
From the afformentioned article by CoyotesHockeyFan.

Trade bait?
Five players the Diamondbacks might consider trading this off-season.

1. Carlos Quentin: Highly regarded not long ago, injuries derailed his 2007 season. After shoulder surgery, he could need to prove his health before a trade happens.

2. Chad Tracy: With a crowded infield, Tracy, coming off of knee surgery, could be the odd man out.

3. Conor Jackson: Or it could be Jackson, who isn't as good defensively as Tracy and is right-handed, like the majority of the Diamondbacks lineup.

4. Carlos Gonzalez: The talented minor-league outfielder has, like Quentin, no place to play at the major-league level with the Diamondbacks.

5. Orlando Hudson: With one year left on his contract and seemingly headed toward free agency, it wouldn't be shocking if the Diamondbacks moved him. But don't count on it.

I still think Hudson and Tracy get moved. As for Gonzalez, I realize he's perhaps Arizona's best chip to dangle, but am I alone in thinking that the Diamondbacks will rue the day they traded him if they chose to do so? I realize the OF position is loaded, but Gonzalez is still young enough to where he could spend next season in Tucson, then '09 in the bigs sharing time with Byrnes, before taking over full time in 2010. I think they're just really jumping the pooch in putting him out there for trade.

Trade partners?
Five places the Diamondbacks might look for pitching help.

1. Chicago (AL): Veterans Jon Garland and Jose Contreras could be shopped. Garland has one year left on his deal; Contreras has two years remaining but is coming off an awful year (5.57 ERA).

2. Cleveland: The Diamondbacks tried to pry away Cliff Lee, who had a bad season, at the deadline for Carlos Quentin. They could pursue him.

3. New York Mets: If the Mets bring back Tom Glavine or upgrade further, they could be willing to trade a young arm such as Mike Pelfrey or Phil Humber.

4. Minnesota: The Twins have a stable of young pitchers and could be willing to move one. They might not match up well, trade-wise, with Arizona, though.

5. Elsewhere: Could Baltimore deal a young arm or is Daniel Cabrera worth a gamble? Could St. Louis' Anthony Reyes benefit from a change of scenery? Would Boston consider dealing Jon Lester if Curt Schilling returns? Would new Angels GM Tony Reagins be willing to move Ervin Santana?

Garland's intriguing, but he'll command a fair return from the Diamondbacks and he's slated to hit free agency after next season. I'm not sure that gambling the future to have another Richie Sexson incident happen is worth looking in to. Contreras? No thanks.

Lee might not be too bad, and a Lee for Quentin deal works for both sides.

I cannot think of one scenario where the Mets would trade Arizona Pelfey or Humber. That's just wishful thinking.

Minnesota's got two pretty good young pitchers that might be worth looking in to such as Matt Garza and Kevin Slowey. Would Quentin be enticing enough for them to make the move? Yet to be seen.

I want nothing to do with that headcase Cabrera. He's got the blazing speed that would be the perfect compliment to Webb and Davis but he's too much of a pain in the ass to be worth picking up. Reyes WOULD be done good by a change of scenery, yet that said I doubt St. Louis trades him.. Same with Lester in Boston (the probability of him being dealt). Santana, that's intriguing. Real intriguing. Quentin for Santana? Helps both teams, Angels get a potential power bat and younger in the OF. Arizona gets a good young pitcher to round out a solid rotation, both teams move players stuck in a log jam.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From the afformentioned article by CoyotesHockeyFan.

I still think Hudson and Tracy get moved. As for Gonzalez, I realize he's perhaps Arizona's best chip to dangle, but am I alone in thinking that the Diamondbacks will rue the day they traded him if they chose to do so? I realize the OF position is loaded, but Gonzalez is still young enough to where he could spend next season in Tucson, then '09 in the bigs sharing time with Byrnes, before taking over full time in 2010. I think they're just really jumping the pooch in putting him out there for trade.

Garland's intriguing, but he'll command a fair return from the Diamondbacks and he's slated to hit free agency after next season. I'm not sure that gambling the future to have another Richie Sexson incident happen is worth looking in to. Contreras? No thanks.

Lee might not be too bad, and a Lee for Quentin deal works for both sides.

I cannot think of one scenario where the Mets would trade Arizona Pelfey or Humber. That's just wishful thinking.

Minnesota's got two pretty good young pitchers that might be worth looking in to such as Matt Garza and Kevin Slowey. Would Quentin be enticing enough for them to make the move? Yet to be seen.

I want nothing to do with that headcase Cabrera. He's got the blazing speed that would be the perfect compliment to Webb and Davis but he's too much of a pain in the ass to be worth picking up. Reyes WOULD be done good by a change of scenery, yet that said I doubt St. Louis trades him.. Same with Lester in Boston (the probability of him being dealt). Santana, that's intriguing. Real intriguing. Quentin for Santana? Helps both teams, Angels get a potential power bat and younger in the OF. Arizona gets a good young pitcher to round out a solid rotation, both teams move players stuck in a log jam.

Santana scares me. He was considered a top prospect a couple of years ago but he is coming off a horrible year, if it were Quentin or Tracy for him straight up I would consider it.

Dontrelle Willis seems like the most logical choice, not impressed w/ Lee.
Lester should be available since they got Bucholz (sp??) waiting in the wings. I would be interested in Reyes.

If we could get Reyes and Lester in seperate deals with Quentin, Tracy, & Hudson I would do it in a heartbeat.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lee, Cabrera, and Reyes do absolutely nothing for me. We're probably just as well off with internal options than making a play for one of them.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I'm thinking your on to something there. But they can't justify that salary for a b/u!

Oh I agree, which is why I never understood the rush to sign him to that deal, his production was OK but he is what he is, there is no upside to Byrnes. I wonder what he would have been offered on the open market in terms of contract length and $$, I don't think its too far fetched to think we overpaid.

I just think in a couple of years we'll look back with remorse on whatever player we traded because "they didn't have an OF spot" because Eric Byrnes was here.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Oh I agree, which is why I never understood the rush to sign him to that deal, his production was OK but he is what he is, there is no upside to Byrnes. I wonder what he would have been offered on the open market in terms of contract length and $$, I don't think its too far fetched to think we overpaid.

I just think in a couple of years we'll look back with remorse on whatever player we traded because "they didn't have an OF spot" because Eric Byrnes was here.

I'm with you and likewise it concerns me.