OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MikeOnTheMic said:
At the screening, do they have you fill out any surveys or anything? Or, is it pretty much just a free movie?

Free movie. Lots of times they give away soundtrack cds, posters, hats, shirts, movie-related prizes, etc. also.

Some previews ask for a quick opinion as you leave the theater, and might have a mic to get soundbites, but that's about it.

We've done surveys before, but it was literally 3 or 4 questions trying to gauge our reaction to the movie. Simple stuff.

They mostly want a preview audience to see it and then spread the word. Better than advertising. :thumbup:

MikeOnTheMic

Veteran
Reaction score
BAD EXPERIENCE-

Ok, a buddy of mine picked up passes for the Night Watch screening on Monday. So we head down there and get there about 45 mins before the showing. There is a HUGE line formed for the screening. So, I figure maybe they are showing it on a couple of screens or something. The line moves about 20-30 peoples worth in 45 minutes. Then it starts moving super fast only to find that the screening is full and we were turned away. They honestly turned several hundred away. It was hard to tell but i would guess at least 300-500. Kind of a bummer. They gave us screening passes for next weeks shoing of "The hills have eyes" or something, but I'm afraid its going to just be a repeat of this experience. Fool me once shame on you. So I will probably skip next weeks.

My question is, how early do you show up for these things and what % of the time do you get turned away? If i have to show up at 3:00 for a 7:00 movie just to get in, it kind of takes the fun out of going. Was my experience common or was it something about this movie?

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MikeOnTheMic said:
BAD EXPERIENCE-

Ok, a buddy of mine picked up passes for the Night Watch screening on Monday. So we head down there and get there about 45 mins before the showing. There is a HUGE line formed for the screening. So, I figure maybe they are showing it on a couple of screens or something. The line moves about 20-30 peoples worth in 45 minutes. Then it starts moving super fast only to find that the screening is full and we were turned away. They honestly turned several hundred away. It was hard to tell but i would guess at least 300-500. Kind of a bummer. They gave us screening passes for next weeks shoing of "The hills have eyes" or something, but I'm afraid its going to just be a repeat of this experience. Fool me once shame on you. So I will probably skip next weeks.

My question is, how early do you show up for these things and what % of the time do you get turned away? If i have to show up at 3:00 for a 7:00 movie just to get in, it kind of takes the fun out of going. Was my experience common or was it something about this movie?

since i've been to a few and have yet to be turned away, you typically have to take a couple of things into consideration. 1. how much press has the movie been getting. 2. who is starring in it or who directed it. that will effect, somewhat, how early you should arrive. we typically try to get there about 1.5 to 2 hours before - that way we get in. this means that we only go to a screening if it's a movie that we are really, really interested in because that is a lot of time to invest.

shawn

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow.

They typically give out more passes than seats because they want it full, but we've only been turned away once.

We usually show up one hour before the screening time.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Shaggy Dog

Phoenix/East Valley

The Rep invites you and a guest to a special advance screening of The Shaggy Dog.

How to get passes: Stop by Paradise Bakery and Cafe located at 8777 N. Scottsdale Rd. (Scottsdale) on Saturday, March 4th from 10:00 am to 2 pm to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Tuesday, March 7th at 7:00 pm at Harkins Fashion Square.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hills Have Eyes

Phoenix/East Valley

FOX Searchlight Pictures, Phoenix New Times, and Steve's Expresso invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of The Hills Have Eyes.

How to get passes: Stop by Steve's Expresso located at 1801 E. Baseline Rd. (Tempe) on Sunday, March 5th from 8:00 am to Noon to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Monday, March 6th at 7:00 pm at Harkins Fashion Square.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
She's the Man

Phoenix/East Valley

The Phoenix New Times invites you and a guest to a special advance screening of She's the Man.

How to get passes: Stop by Arcadia Ice Arena located at 3853 E. Thomas Rd. (Phoenix) on Saturday, March 11th from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Tuesday, March 14th at 7:00 pm at Harkins Fashion Square.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I just got my tickets in the mail. What time would you suggest we get there to get a good seat?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Departed

Phoenix/East Valley

Warner Bros. and GetOut invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of The Departed.

How to get passes: Stop by The Dubliner located at 3841 E. Thunderbird Rd. (Phoenix) on Saturday, September 30th after noon to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Monday, October 2nd at 7:00 pm at Harkins Fashion Square.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get more free tickets, but I haven’t been able to since She’s The Man. I keep trying to get them online, but I never succeed. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Employee of the Month

Phoenix/East Valley

Lionsgate and YES invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Employee of the Month.

How to get passes: Stop by ZIA Records located at 3851 E. Thunderbird Rd. (Phoenix) on Sunday, October 1st after 10am to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Wednesday, October 4th at Harkins Shea.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney Digital 3D)

Phoenix/East Valley

Walt Disney Pictures, GetOut, and DLP Cinema invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney Digital 3D).

How to get passes: Stop by Atomic Comics located at 1120 S. Country Club #105 (Mesa) on Friday, October 13th after 11am to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Wednesday, October 19th at Harkins Arizona Mills.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney Digital 3D)

Phoenix/East Valley

Walt Disney Pictures, GetOut, and DLP Cinema invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas (Disney Digital 3D).

How to get passes: Stop by Atomic Comics located at 1120 S. Country Club #105 (Mesa) on Friday, October 13th after 11am to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Wednesday, October 19th at Harkins Arizona Mills.

Thanks for posting this.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Babel

Phoenix/East Valley

Paramount Vantage and GetOut invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Babel.

How to get passes: Stop by Mama Java's Coffeehouse located at 3619 East Indian School Rd. (Phoenix) on Friday, November 3rd after 11am to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Tuesday, November 7th at 7:00 pm at Harkins Fashion Square.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stranger Than Fiction

North Phoenix

Columbia Pictures, Barnes & Noble, and New Times invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Stranger Than Fiction.

How to get passes: Stop by Barnes & Noble located at 21001 N. Tatum Blvd. (Phoenix) on Friday, November 3rd after 5pm to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Thursday, November 9th at AMC Desert Ridge.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Feet

Phoenix/West Valley

Warner Bros. Pictures, The Arizona Republic, azcentral.com, and KOOL 94.5 invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Happy Feet.

How to get passes: Stop by the KOOL-FM van in front of the new AMC Westgate 20 Theatre located at 9400 W. Hanna Dr. (Glendale) on Thursday, November 9th at 9am to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Tuesday, November 14th at AMC Westgate 20.

Note: Bring the family early (from 7-9am) for a "Happy Feet" Winter Wonderland including snow, ice sculpting, and snow cones. Plus, special appearance by Mumble - the star of Happy Feet.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deja Vu

Phoenix/East Valley

GetOut invites you and a guest to a special advance screening of Deja Vu.

How to get passes: Stop by Upper Deck Sports Grill located at 4224 N. Craftsman Ct. (Scottsdale) on Friday, November 17th at 4pm to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Tuesday, November 21st at 7:00 pm at Harkins Fashion Square.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny

Phoenix/East Valley

New Line Cinema, New Times, and Sam Ash invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny.

How to get passes: Stop by Sam Ash located at 4402 W. Cactus Rd. (Glendale) on Saturday, November 18th from Noon until 4pm to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Monday, November 20st at 7:00 pm at Harkins Centerpoint.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stomp the Yard

Phoenix/East Valley

Screen Gems, Get Out, and Club Central Night Club invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Stomp the Yard.

How to get passes: Stop by Club Central Night Club located at 3121 N. 3rd Ave. (Central and Thomas) on Friday, January 5th after 4 PM to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Tuesday, January 9th at 7 PM at Harkins Arizona Mills.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miss Potter

Phoenix/East Valley

MGM, The Weinstein Co., The Arizona Republic, and Changing Hands Bookstore invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Miss Potter.

How to get passes: Stop by Changing Hands Bookstore located at 6428 S. McClintock Dr. (Tempe) on Saturday, January 6th at 2 PM. There will be a special family reading from the children's book "The Tale of Peter Rabbit." After the reading there will be complimentary admit two passes available while supplies last.

The film comes out in theaters on January 19th. No date is given in the ad for the screening...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blood & Chocolate

Phoenix/East Valley

MGM, KISS FM, and GetOut invite you and a guest to a special advance screening of Blood & Chocolate.

How to get passes: Stop by Margarita Rocks Beach Club located at 410 S. Mill Avenue (Tempe) on Friday, January, 19th after 5 PM to pick up your complimentary admit two pass while supplies last.

Screening will be held on Thursday, January 25th at 7:00 pm at Harkins Arizona Mills.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard