The "No Fun League" is back again

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The NFL is cracking down even more on celebrations to the extent of getting rid of things like flexing after making a big hit or sack dances and they aren't even allowing players to salute anymore. I understand the importance of sportsmanship and am completely OK with maybe NCAA doing away with things like this, but the NFL is purely about entertainment and thus I don't see the issue with the occasional dance after a sack or a WR doing tho old tomahawk or spinning the football on the ground after a first down. I just think they are going a little overboard with some of these rules.

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2013/8/6/4593020/nfl-cracking-down-on-after-play-antics-again

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
football is the consummate team sport and all great plays are the result of others doing their job well...personally I do not care to see any player acting an ass and trying to promote their own ego on the field. These guys are highly paid professionals and should carry themselves as such while they are working.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
football is the consummate team sport and all great plays are the result of others doing their job well...personally I do not care to see any player acting an ass and trying to promote their own ego on the field. These guys are highly paid professionals and should carry themselves as such while they are working.

Lighten up Francis, it's a game. Unless someone is clearly taunting, let them do what they want.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Barry Sanders never celebrated....act like you have been there before and your going to be there again.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Andre Roberts, a Citadel grad, can't come to attention and salute after a touchdown. What an idiotic decision. Really, really, idiotic.
This is the one that bothers me the most. The rest I can live with (like the Clay Matthews sack celebration) being removed from the game, telling someone that they can't salute after a good play is almost like saying you can't point to god after a good play. It is a little ridiculous.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Barry Sanders never celebrated....act like you have been there before and your going to be there again.
Same can be said for Fitz and I respect the hell out of him for it. The only celebrating he will ever do is in a situation like when he scored the go ahead TD in the SB. Otherwise he just flips the ball to the ref and runs back to the sideline.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Lighten up Francis, it's a game. Unless someone is clearly taunting, let them do what they want.

Right...a game....a game I PAY to see the TEAM play....if they want to act a fool they can do it at home in their driveway playing one on one like everyone else. I do not pay my money to see some egotistical moron self promote himself.

and don't call me Francis....it's Psycho!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i find it hilarious that people get affended by sack dances or arm flexing.

im in sales, I do sack dances when I put in deals. Its exciting. I did my job. whats the big deal?

To say a guy cant do "the incredible hulk" which i guess means flexing after making a big play is just silly. lighten up.

Next time you do something awesome in your life that you are proud and excited about, dont show any emotion, act like youve been there before and go eeyore style.

What dumb comments.

Hell - I do sack dances in my living room when the cardinals sack someone.

You guys do remember its a game they are playing, right>?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

im in sales, I do sack dances when I put in deals. Its exciting. I did my job. whats the big deal?

To say a guy cant do "the incredible hulk" which i guess means flexing after making a big play is just silly. lighten up.

Next time you do something awesome in your life that you are proud and excited about, dont show any emotion, act like youve been there before and go eeyore style.

What dumb comments.

I am agreeing with you far too much. Heck, I have taken to throwing off all my clothes and running down the hallway for touchdowns. I have seen touchdowns before, but I will still continue yelling and acting like a dope.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

What dumb comments.

I agree I have no problem with it. It's an emotional game. I do think the guys like TO take it over board. But its exciting to make big plays.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to me that they basically banned the Mile High Salute but you can still Lambeau Leap....

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am agreeing with you far too much. Heck, I have taken to throwing off all my clothes and running down the hallway for touchdowns. I have seen touchdowns before, but I will still continue yelling and acting like a dope.

My wife and children have always thought I was crazy, during cardinal games it is confirmed.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

What dumb comments.

Do you do you sack dance in front of your entire office? Company? Group of friends? Not to mention a stadium packed with people, as well as hundreds of thousands more watching on TV...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you do you sack dance in front of your entire office? Company? Group of friends? Not to mention a stadium packed with people, as well as hundreds of thousands more watching on TV...

why not? would it change anyone ability to go about their day?

Yes I stand up from my desk and do a fist pump or something if I get a better sale than usual. There are times where I get pumped up doing my job. I have always been a top performer so ive been there and will stay there but my motivation is what keeps me excelling.

The office can see me yes. The owners can see me yes. If I sink the best beer pong shot in front of friends, yes. Sack dance. If I could do it on the field, yes.

I dont see anything wrong with celebreating accomplishment. There are some stupid dances that players do after they make a play but why would it be a penalty unless it was exce3ssive or hindered the progress of the game?

Is it hurting someones feelings? are football players supposed to care about feelings?

Gottalean

Rookie
Reaction score
I agree that this is going way overboard, I love celebrations and think its a great part of the game. And I don't get ppl saying they are self promoting, to me they are entertaining the fans. I pay good money as well and dammit I want to see them celebrate, even over the top celebrations are ok in my book. The NFL is slowly but surely ruining the game. Pretty soon it will be the MLB. An emotionless boring sport. Heck even they can first pump when they hit a home run. No more "jacked up" on espn and now no more salsa or riverdance. B. F'n S.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
why not? would it change anyone ability to go about their day?

Yes I stand up from my desk and do a fist pump or something if I get a better sale than usual. There are times where I get pumped up doing my job. I have always been a top performer so ive been there and will stay there but my motivation is what keeps me excelling.

The office can see me yes. The owners can see me yes. If I sink the best beer pong shot in front of friends, yes. Sack dance. If I could do it on the field, yes.

I dont see anything wrong with celebreating accomplishment. There are some stupid dances that players do after they make a play but why would it be a penalty unless it was exce3ssive or hindered the progress of the game?

Is it hurting someones feelings? are football players supposed to care about feelings?

There is nothing wrong at all with celebrating accomplishment. I believe what Oaken, as well as myself take issue with is when that celebrating goes way beyond anything you seem to do, and is used for things like a sack (often when the game is out of hand and the sack as no impact on the game), or a simple tackle where the tackler should simply get up and get his arse back in the huddle..
The "celebrating" in the NFL has become completely out of sync with the cause for the celebrating...
Did you not enjoy games that Barry Sanders played in? Do you not enjoy games that Larry Fitzgerald plays in??

Gottalean

Rookie
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong at all with celebrating accomplishment. I believe what Oaken, as well as myself take issue with is when that celebrating goes way beyond anything you seem to do, and is used for things like a sack (often when the game is out of hand and the sack as no impact on the game), or a simple tackle where the tackler should simply get up and get his arse back in the huddle..
The "celebrating" in the NFL has become completely out of sync with the cause for the celebrating...
Did you not enjoy games that Barry Sanders played in? Do you not enjoy games that Larry Fitzgerald plays in??

You obviously haven't been a cards fan very long. Most seasons a "meaningless sack or a hard hit by A-dub is about all we have to get excited about when were getting blown out by twenty. It gets the fans and the players pumped up. I respect Fitz and Barry for doin what they do, but man I love me some A-dub glaring at Steve young after ending his career, or Dwash going beast mode after a sac. That's jus me tho

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
You obviously haven't been a cards fan very long. Most seasons a "meaningless sack or a hard hit by A-dub is about all we have to get excited about when were getting blown out by twenty. It gets the fans and the players pumped up. I respect Fitz and Barry for doin what they do, but man I love me some A-dub glaring at Steve young after ending his career, or Dwash going beast mode after a sac. That's jus me tho

LOL... definitely not a newbie Cards fan. Regarding A-Dub, I honestly can't recall ever seeing him doing any type of over-the-top celebration... ever. Did he "glare" at some dudes he popped? Sure, and I loved that too! But I would never put A-Dub into the category of being overly zealous when it comes to celebration...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

A-Dub didn't end Steve Young's career.....that was done by Anneas Williams....and he didn't bulldog him after the hit.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Right...a game....a game I PAY to see the TEAM play....if they want to act a fool they can do it at home in their driveway playing one on one like everyone else. I do not pay my money to see some egotistical moron self promote himself.

You're definitely in the minority, people go to games for ENTERTAINMENT, and expressing yourself as long as it's not at the expense of someone else is harmless.

and don't call me Francis....it's Psycho!

Ha!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

we had this fool on the Cards a few years back....third and five....dude gets juked on the bubble screen,.gives up fifteen yards,...then he celebrates like he just won the Superbowl when he finally makes the tackle...

sad fact is...most NFL players lack either the intellect or the maturity to know when a celebration is appropriate