THE Newcastle United FC thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch Newcastle yet other than goal highlights. but they only have 1 loss? geez what a run they are on. if they can poach some players in the Jan window they might have a shot at the top 4.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch Newcastle yet other than goal highlights. but they only have 1 loss? geez what a run they are on. if they can poach some players in the Jan window they might have a shot at the top 4.
Well, they're undefeated with an extra draw, but the refs and pundits favored Liverfool so they just kept playing until Liverfool scored the winner ;)

They don't have to add players to be in the top 4 mix, as they sit 3rd even now. I agree that they need to add to the team if they want to stay there. Just look at one of their first subs of the game against Arsenal: Jacob Murphy. Borderline PL player, not a PL starter, and should in no way be an impact sub for a top side. Then Chris Wood came on. Just not good enough.

We shall see.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they're undefeated with an extra draw, but the refs and pundits favored Liverfool so they just kept playing until Liverfool scored the winner ;)

They don't have to add players to be in the top 4 mix, as they sit 3rd even now. I agree that they need to add to the team if they want to stay there. Just look at one of their first subs of the game against Arsenal: Jacob Murphy. Borderline PL player, not a PL starter, and should in no way be an impact sub for a top side. Then Chris Wood came on. Just not good enough.

We shall see.
Haha. They were punished for their silly time wasting. It would have been a draw if not for that.

I am a little surprised you didn't try to strengthen your front line more in January.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Haha. They were punished for their silly time wasting. It would have been a draw if not for that.

I am a little surprised you didn't try to strengthen your front line more in January.
Well, January is just begin, so they might. I don't see that happening, though, outside maybe a loan. Isaak is supposedly fit again, and he darn near won us that game against yinz. The Mags really need a #6 and they are supposedly pursuing that. Also trying to get youngsters at the left and right back positions. Trippier is great, but he won't play forever.

About time wasting, I read a great article recently about how the big clubs use time wasting all the time once they get leads--Chelsea under Mourinho was a prime example, and Conte now at Spurs especially--but nobody makes a big deal about it. Suddenly Newcastle dare to get a draw and the pundits are all up in arms, some calling for a time clock even. But, nah, no biases in this league at all!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, January is just begin, so they might. I don't see that happening, though, outside maybe a loan. Isaak is supposedly fit again, and he darn near won us that game against yinz. The Mags really need a #6 and they are supposedly pursuing that. Also trying to get youngsters at the left and right back positions. Trippier is great, but he won't play forever.

About time wasting, I read a great article recently about how the big clubs use time wasting all the time once they get leads--Chelsea under Mourinho was a prime example, and Conte now at Spurs especially--but nobody makes a big deal about it. Suddenly Newcastle dare to get a draw and the pundits are all up in arms, some calling for a time clock even. But, nah, no biases in this league at all!
Liverpool definitely doesn't do it, nor does City.

Lorenzo

Reaction score

We shall see.
I agree. They will be in the mix and they could make the top 4 without making moves. But all of the top teams should be making moves to secure those spots.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't really noticed that. I'm just glad to point out the hypocrisy in the media, and with other fans.
Mourinho and Conte are both regarded as defensive coaches and they are known to park the bus for sure.

I will admit that I didn't watch that many Man U Mourinho games but we would definitely do that.

Conte's brand of football has always been boring.

The type of time wasting that I can't stand is faking injuries, kicking the ball away, GK going down on simple catches and staying down... (when the FIFA rule is that the ball should be out of the GK hands in 6 seconds, etc. It is where the World Cup and the extra time got it right)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
conte is frustrating because he is a good manager. he will at times show tactics to play on the front foot, but often relies too heavily on defense. spurs definitely absorb too much pressure to lower level clubs. I don't mind them doing it to City because that works and that's smart since they have players who are suited to play on the counter, but it is frustrating to watch them give up goals because they do too much ball watching in their own half against lower level clubs.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Agony and ecstasy recently. Beating Southampton to make the cup final is just freaking amazing. You're going down, Man U! But, even then, there's bad news. Bruno absolutely lost his head and saw red, meaning he misses 3 PL games. Plus, with Shelvey leaving (good business), the Mags were already going to be light in midfield. Speaking of light, the squad was light already, they wold Wood and Shelvey, and only brought Gordon in. The bad window may well cost them Champions League soccer next year. Ugh!

But, hey, they're sitting pretty in the league at the moment and are in the cup final. Howe-way the lads!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Awful game. Started out with a bang, slowly conceded initiative, and didn't get it back until the final third of the game. As I've said, the squad isn't good enough. St. Maximin especially isn't good enough. On offense, he kept running down blind alleys and giving it away. Yes, he created a chance or two, but he was so bad and so lazy and lackadaisical off the ball that it caused 10 or 12 bad problems. I wanted him off at halftime; they dragged him off about halfway through the second half. Voila, the team got better. Gordon was pretty good. Couldn't get the winner, though.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Yep, ownership tripped over it's own dangling members in this last window. Paper thin squad? Cool, let's subtract rather than add. Height of stupidity. Yes, selling Wood and Shelvey was smart business, but they needed to add BEFORE selling them, then didn't even replace them. No 3rd striker, super light in midfield, injuries beginning to pile up. Focking brill, asshats.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yep, ownership tripped over it's own dangling members in this last window. Paper thin squad? Cool, let's subtract rather than add. Height of stupidity. Yes, selling Wood and Shelvey was smart business, but they needed to add BEFORE selling them, then didn't even replace them. No 3rd striker, super light in midfield, injuries beginning to pile up. Focking brill, asshats.
I don’t know who wants that fourth spot more…Spurs or Newcastle. It’s hard to tell.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I don’t know who wants that fourth spot more…Spurs or Newcastle. It’s hard to tell.
I think if they had strengthened in the window, it would be Newcastle, hands down. They'd top Man U as well. Now? Newcastle will probably be in the Europa League. Which would've been thrilling in the preseason, but less so now.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think if they had strengthened in the window, it would be Newcastle, hands down. They'd top Man U as well. Now? Newcastle will probably be in the Europa League. Which would've been thrilling in the preseason, but less so now.
Man United have improved a great deal even going back to before the World Cup (results wise). We’ve seen this before from them where they streak forward and fall back down though. It’s crazy that man city sit only 3 points behind arsenal.

Leeds lose again today so they are in a relegation battle and interestingly they are being turned down by managers at lower clubs. Also it appears that the FA have had enough of the the tragedy-death taunting chants.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I called Europa for Newcastle before the season started. Still think that should be their goal for this season and maybe one more before they constantly push for top 4 every year.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I called Europa for Newcastle before the season started. Still think that should be their goal for this season and maybe one more before they constantly push for top 4 every year.
They get top 4 if they invest properly. The complete attitude change and the rock solid defense put them in the top 4 for a reason. That didn't happen, though, so Europa it is. Honestly, I didn't think they'd even get there this season. Fingers crossed they win the cup.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They get top 4 if they invest properly. The complete attitude change and the rock solid defense put them in the top 4 for a reason. That didn't happen, though, so Europa it is. Honestly, I didn't think they'd even get there this season. Fingers crossed they win the cup.
There is always one team that starts of super fast, finds themselves in the top 4, and fades as the season goes. Newcastle and Brighton will be those teams this year.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
**** you ******* Nick ******* Pope, right up your ******* ass. Thanks to you, we get to ******* start the third string ******* goalie Karius who doesn't have a single ******* appearance in only the biggest Newcastle game in ******* decades. You're a ******* clown tonight. Once more, with feeling, **** you, Nick Pope.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
There is always one team that starts of super fast, finds themselves in the top 4, and fades as the season goes. Newcastle and Brighton will be those teams this year.
For me this has been such a weird year for the PL, certainly the WC has made it that. Everyone is just kind of beating up on one another at different points of the season. The top 4 seems to be shaping now though. Tottenham are probably the 4th team, but they are very up and down too so I could see someone taking that spot if they don’t start showing some type of consistency. The relegation situation looks competitive as well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
**** you ******* Nick ******* Pope, right up your ******* ass. Thanks to you, we get to ******* start the third string ******* goalie Karius who doesn't have a single ******* appearance in only the biggest Newcastle game in ******* decades. You're a ******* clown tonight. Once more, with feeling, **** you, Nick Pope.
Rough. The worst part is that the last time Karius made an appearance in an important game, he blew the Champions League final for Liverpool.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose