THE Newcastle United FC thread

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
And re: Hudds/Swansea... Terriors had 81% possession and 30-0 shot advantage with the early send off and couldn't put one in the net. If they go down, the 2 points lost today very likely will be why.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Was not expecting a win at Everton, and really no harm no foul with the other results of the day. I hope all 3 promoted clubs stay up... and Palace going down would be great too.

I wouldn't mind it. West Brom and Palace going down would be cool--Pards being an active part in both would tickle me. Not because I hated him, but because the south always said how he was a great coach that was handcuffed. Handcuffed, yes; great coach, HELL NO!

And West Ham going down would be fine with me.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think West Brom and Southampton go down, with the third being one of Stoke/Hudds/West Ham/Palace. I think all 4 of those teams stay in danger pretty much to the end. That leaves Newcastle, Brighton and Swansea all in the 12-14 range and pretty safe by the end (with Bournemouth/Leicester/Watford/Everton the next tier up and all soon coasting to mid-table finishes).

If Zaha stays healthy Palace might claw out of that scrap heap, and quite frankly any of the clubs I mentioned as 12-14 are capable of going into an ill-timed funk and falling in that mix. But that's what I'll take going forward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Southampton and West Ham are the proverbial "too good to go down" teams, just like Newcastle in '09. Much better players than some of the teams around them, but crap attitude. That might indeed damn them and make them finish below teams with much less talent, like Stoke and Swansea.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Southampton and West Ham are the proverbial "too good to go down" teams, just like Newcastle in '09. Much better players than some of the teams around them, but crap attitude. That might indeed damn them and make them finish below teams with much less talent, like Stoke and Swansea.
Southampton has 5 of last 8 on the road, and 2 of the 3 at home are Chelsea and City. They could very easily not win another game this season.

West Ham probably does just enough despite the chaos.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Rightfully so. Southampton are going down if they do not do a 180. Even then it might be too late.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If Newcastle get through this I call this season an absolute success considering their squad not being anywhere near what it needs to be to score goals in the PL.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Big win against Huddersfield.. Newcastle in really good shape.

BHA has Hudds at home next week in a massive game.. it's the last good shot at a win all season.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Ah, that was a thoroughly satisfying game, even more so than the 3-0 thrashing of Southampton. For the first time in forever (since the Championship season, really), Newcastle bossed the game in possession. That feels so good. Huddersfield, who are now in deep trouble, never posed a real threat, and Newcastle had good chances throughout. If Slimani plays the whole game--and I understand why he couldn't--I think we win by a few more. He's the only PL quality striker in the squad.

So, so close to safety now, and in good form.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I don't really see a victory in the cards today, but if Newcastle can keep it 0-0 until late, you never know. Maybe they can nick the points. If the Mags are solid defensively, a point is a definite possibility. A win would be huge--38 points and probably safety--but with Slimani not allowed to play against his home club, and the form Leicester are in...I'd take the point.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I don't really see a victory in the cards today, but if Newcastle can keep it 0-0 until late, you never know. Maybe they can nick the points. If the Mags are solid defensively, a point is a definite possibility. A win would be huge--38 points and probably safety--but with Slimani not allowed to play against his home club, and the form Leicester are in...I'd take the point.
Victory is yours.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Victory is yours.

Aw, what an incredible game! Massive win for more than just the table; all of a sudden the news is that Stavely's group is back in for buying the club, and are so confident they're talking renovation of the training grounds. 100% convinced the Mags are safe now (and Sunderland are second bottom of the Championship table). Howay the lads!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Good for Newcastle. They are surely safe. Looks like stoke and West Brom are going down. And sundershyte lol!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Good for Newcastle. They are surely safe. Looks like stoke and West Brom are going down. And sundershyte lol!

I mean, I'd much rather have Sundershyte in the Premiership, because I love having the Tyne-Wear derby, but...BUT...after all the taunts during our relegations, to watch them fall into League One is a tad satisfying :)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I mean, I'd much rather have Sundershyte in the Premiership, because I love having the Tyne-Wear derby, but...BUT...after all the taunts during our relegations, to watch them fall into League One is a tad satisfying :)
I know what you mean. Is borough still in the playoff mix? I feel like they were but they dropped a bit?

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I know what you mean. Is borough still in the playoff mix? I feel like they were but they dropped a bit?

Borough are in with a shout, only 2 points out of a playoff place.

Now, some pundits are being ridiculous, claiming Newcastle still have an outside shot at 7th place, and thus at Europe. They can stop that crap right now lol The fans aren't saying this, of course. Granted, Burnley plays Leicester, so even IF the Mags beat Arsenal, and if Leicester beat Burnley, Newcastle would gain three points...meaning they would STILL be 8 points behind! How is that even an 'outside' shot? Silly talk--though I'm glad the Mags are in a position to hear it :)

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
what a showing by Newcastle. they deserved the 3 pts...

Smashing win. Met with my buddy, a Gooner fan, the other night, before seeing the game with him this morning. He couldn't believe pundits were saying Newcastle were odds on to break our drought against the Gooner. He believes it now :)

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
But you'll notice, even with the big win, Newcastle are nowhere near Burnley. The idea of even a chance of a Europa League place was lunacy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be good to see Newcastle in the league next year. It will be a bit sad to see Southampton go. They have been up for so long. Still could be if they didn't sell all of their good players to Liverpool.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
It will be good to see Newcastle in the league next year. It will be a bit sad to see Southampton go. They have been up for so long. Still could be if they didn't sell all of their good players to Liverpool.

Yeah, Southampton's youth academy is freaking legendary. They just sell and sell and sell, and are finally looking to pay the price for it.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
But you'll notice, even with the big win, Newcastle are nowhere near Burnley. The idea of even a chance of a Europa League place was lunacy.
No maybe not but they are really playing with good spirit. That was not a fluke. they really went at arsenal and took those 3 points. Very impressive. I would be taking every shot you can at the gooners lol!

If Newcastle went out and bought a few good players it’s not beyond possible to move up in the table to flirt with that 7 spot next season.