The new Devin Booker

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is our own superstar and his game has taken a huge step in its evolution. I thought we might have a thread just to talk about his progress this year. Here are some things that I am noticing.

1. Conditioning. He seems to be absolutely full of energy in the fourth quarter. Part of that is conditioning and part of it is that he is able to play opportunistically early in the game so that he can take over late.

2. Efficiency. His efg% is at .610 right now. Very high for a guard and 20% better than what he was last year (.510). He is also shooting 50-50-90 (field, three, ft). That is Steph Curry rare air.

3. He is playing decent defense. Devin's career ortg is 105 and drtg is 115. So far this year those numbers are reversed--ortg 115 and drtg 105. Of course, those numbers are greatly dependent upon players around him, but his defensive improvement is noticable.

Nice job Book.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
There's a few things I've noticed about Book this year. The first is he's more opportunistic with his offense. Part of that is having a quality group of players around him, especially a good PG like Rubio who takes a ton of pressure off him. Having reliable shooters who can all hit an open shot helps as well, and he has a monster setting screens for him in Baynes. Most of what he's doing comes within the flow of the offense. Yesterday he was more aggressive and was the star we needed him to be when the team struggled to get offense.

The biggest thing I am seeing with him this year is that he seems to have fully bought into what Monty is selling. It's so crazy to think of the coaches he's had to endure in his first 4 years. This alone has to be a huge breath of fresh air for him. Amazing what trust between a star player and coach can create.

You mentioned his defense. He's putting out so much more effort defensively than I have ever seen him do before. There was an instance in the first half where he was playing one on one defense I believe on Josh Richardson for a good amount of the shot clock and was all over him. The crowd even noticed and went nuts when Book stuck him and helped force the miss. He's fouling a lot, but I cannot complain a bit about his effort.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Booker was a Pistons fan growing up and he's said his favorite player was Rip Hamilton. I never saw that much of a comparison between their games until this year.

Booker is playing great defense (great for him, good overall) and is moving without the ball like he never has before. He knows if he can find a spot that he'll get a good pass and having Rubio takes so much pressure off of him as far as needing to get others going.

Booker can now pick his spots and he's also learned from playing a lot of PG when other guys are in a good spot so he's managed to rack up a lot of assists as well as points. His decision making has risen to another level.

Overall it's really something to see. I highly doubt he's in the running for it but I think most Suns fans can see that he deserves some recognition for Most Improved this year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It should be mentioned that Devin Booker has been returned
to his natural position of Shooting Guard, with a natural Point
Guard feeding him as well as the rest of the team.

In addition to being our top scorer, he no longer has to bring
up the ball, defend quicker Point Guards and facilitate others
as a primary responsibility.

He is now adjusting (quickly) to going back to being what he
was. An outstanding scorer, who has decent distribution
skills as an option and doesn't have to be a James Harden
clone. As we've seen, there is only one James Harden.

The Suns are taking a major step forward because, for the
first time in a long time, they are honoring basketball
standards of team balance rather than the gimmicks
they have resorted to in the past.

Sound, fundamental basketball philosophies. And the
biggest benefactor is our 'star' Devin Booker.

We are seeing it right before our eyes. And it sure
feels good to watch and to root for.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
His spinning and-1 immediately after picking up his cheap 5th foul was a breakthrough play.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say I underestimated how much effort it took for Booker to be the PG last year. He looks considerably fresher later in the game and his effort on defense has been encouraging. Having another playmaker in Rubio means he can focus on just attacking which still creates opportunities to set others up even if he's not the main facilitator. I hope he stays healthy and is able to keep this up, this version of Booker is clearly a superstar.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s a tad slow on recognizing and passing out of the double teams BUT he is doing it. Last years point Book prepared him for making solid passes and better decisions on those passes, of course trusting teammates too, better teammates this year.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m glad we aren’t trying to turn Booker into the next James Harden. I hate that guy’s game
Harden is such an odd duck. He does not look athletic or fast. But he just has a knack about getting players off balance and then scoring.

He plays kind of like that dorky professor dude on youtube.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Harden is such an odd duck. He does not look athletic or fast. But he just has a knack about getting players off balance and then scoring.

I hate that his game is completely predicated on getting foul calls and getting to the free throw line. It seems that unless he gets like 15-20 free throws he really isn't any good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought the same thing when Harden came out of Arizona State.

Was I ever wrong. OKC scouts knew what they were doing when they drafted him #3 in 2009.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

He’s very athletic and has some of the best feet in the league. I think he had a 37” vert at the combine but he’s just not an above-the-rim player.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
He is our own superstar and his game has taken a huge step in its evolution. I thought we might have a thread just to talk about his progress this year. Here are some things that I am noticing.

1. Conditioning. He seems to be absolutely full of energy in the fourth quarter. Part of that is conditioning and part of it is that he is able to play opportunistically early in the game so that he can take over late.

2. Efficiency. His efg% is at .610 right now. Very high for a guard and 20% better than what he was last year (.510). He is also shooting 50-50-90 (field, three, ft). That is Steph Curry rare air.

3. He is playing decent defense. Devin's career ortg is 105 and drtg is 115. So far this year those numbers are reversed--ortg 115 and drtg 105. Of course, those numbers are greatly dependent upon players around him, but his defensive improvement is noticable.

Nice job Book.
Agree 100% with all 3 points. #3. being the most notable imo. #1. finds that Booker, not having to play the point has allowed him more energy and his constant movement without the ball
is really helping the offense and DB's shot selection overall.