The NBA is rigged

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fixed no.. but rigged in the sense that the refs give certain teams every opportunity 100%
This. Are there some bad apples? Sure. Just like any walk of life.. but its a business. Major market teams will get calls more often than small market teams. Especially as the sport grows. It's easy being a victim when you're an AZ sports fan though. So I get it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I didn’t have an issue with most of the calls (except for the George jump ball) but the way they managed it down the stretch was atrocious. I don’t have a problem with replay but it can’t take 5 minutes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was horribly officiated but no, I don't think this game or this league is fixed. The Clippers have a few players that know all the tricks, including the dirty ones, and they used them all game long. And the refs allowed it. That sucks for us but I don't believe there was an agenda.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn’t have an issue with most of the calls (except for the George jump ball) but the way they managed it down the stretch was atrocious. I don’t have a problem with replay but it can’t take 5 minutes.
This is where they'll inevitable get to MLB type stuff and put review guys upstairs for quicker takes.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
No..this game was pretty close. I am 100 percent certain...like literally no doubt....that the refs saw a close game...with 2 super stars out. If the Sun's win this game...and CP3 is back, everyone knows its over in 5. However...if the refs just hand the clips this game with their nonsense calls at the end of the game (offensive foul on Booker, followed by just a flat out lie saying it goes off Bokks hand)...then this series might go 6-7 games...Kawhi might play...it would be "better for the league"....so they just blatantly cheat. Those 2 plays I mentioned were fixed. They were not called fairly, and they were meant to give the clips the win. If George hits the gifted free throws they win.

My point about blowouts is that when you have one...all of sudden there are no fouls, no penalties at all. The refs sit there. In a real league...there are penalties...it doesn't matter the score or the time on the clock...the game is called pretty much straight up and fair. In the NBA the refs decide if they will make calls based on how it will effect the outcome of the game...not becauseca penalty actually occurs
I see where you are coming from, but I don't think the refs are actually thinking about KL or CP3. I do think they are thinking about how they can help foster a competitive game. sometimes that means trying hard to call it 50/50 and they make mistakes and do have make up calls or look for particular stuff that players complain about. and it gets annoying for me when they are not consistent. Like why is something reviewed on replay out of bounds on booker in the last 2 mins when it wouldn't be reviewed out of bounce for the other 46 mins? I thought Jeff Van Gundy's point was spot on.

I don't think KL is going to play in this series. and if he does rush back before he is fit to play, you have to wonder what he will be able to do physically, especially the way the suns are playing.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought it was horribly officiated but no, I don't think this game or this league is fixed. The Clippers have a few players that know all the tricks, including the dirty ones, and they used them all game long. And the refs allowed it. That sucks for us but I don't believe there was an agenda.
Beverly is a goon. PG also really tries hard to sell calls. Maybe he will stop now that he can't make free throws :)

I actually think the clippers are overly physical at times and really put a lot of pressure on the refs. that was my observation from the Dallas series. and beverly looked like he used his arm to get leverage on booker on that reach in that went out of bounce. that could of been called a foul for me.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I'm mostly with you. I'm not sure about Scott Foster though. Paul's teams were 0-12 until tonight in which we barely scraped by.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

this.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Red flags were the pg touch fouls he was drawing and Booker offensive fouls against him. also the Morris shove and the cousins shove. They didn’t retroactively go back and assess fouls like has been done to us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one I don't understand unless they explained it wrong was the offensive foul on Booker when they were looking for a flagrant. the ref said while reviewing for a flagrant they can call anything they see, they saw an offensive foul. Ok, but if you watch closely Beverley's left hand has a fist full of Bookers jersey, that's before the offensive foul it's what CAUSED the offensive foul Booker was trying to knock Beverley's left hand off him because he was holding him. If you as the ref said can call anything you see how is that not a foul BEFORE the foul on Booker?

So I'm guessing they explained it wrong and they weren't allowed to call the first foul because they were reviewing contact by booker otherwise it makes no sense.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If the NBA is rigged, no way Phoenix, Milwaukee and Atlanta would be three of the final four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ding, ding, ding. The NBA would definitely prefer a NY and/or LA tv market team in the finals. The prospect of it being Phx vs Mil or Atl has to be sending the advertisers shivers.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It is absolutely rigged... we already knew that from Tim Donaghy story.

The refs tilt the game which ever way the NBA wants. It doesn't mean you can't overcome it by playing great... just like any other sport. But you absolutely DO need to play great to overcome it.

It's BS.

I think this is probably the truth, and has been FOREVER in the NBA (and most sports for that matter). It's really nothing new and will, more than likely, never change. Sometimes teams have to beat the other team AND the refs, like last night.

This Suns team is tough as nails.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ding, ding, ding. The NBA would definitely prefer a NY and/or LA tv market team in the finals. The prospect of it being Phx vs Mil or Atl has to be sending the advertisers shivers.

This argument means nothing now...its moot. The NBA is star driven...doesn't matter where the star is now with social media. The Bucks are very popular....because of Giannis. The Hawks are popular...because of Young. etc.

Of course the NBA would like a legacy team from a big market like the Knicks to be good....but it doesnt really matter....and you can't ask the refs to cover up a horrible team with little talent.

LA won the title last year. Brooklyn formed a Super Team who was favored to win it all the entire season. The clips are still in it. Somehow in the last few years, the Lakers...one of the winningest teams in league history has managed to land Lebron, the #2 pick (totally against the odds),and then a clearly tampered with Anthony Davis trade. They already have 1 title. How is the league not rigging things for them?

What "Large market" team was even within sniffing range of the playoffs that didnt make it?

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this is probably the truth, and has been FOREVER in the NBA (and most sports for that matter). It's really nothing new and will, more than likely, never change. Sometimes teams have to beat the other team AND the refs, like last night.

This Suns team is tough as nails.

Oh I also have to add this. The LA/NY TV market for sports is totally over blown. Those cities have a lot of people yes...but they are transplants from other parts of the country/world, and are also some of the laziest, most disengaged fans in sports. Lakers and Dodgers games are 1/2 full until an hour after the game starts. The amount of people going home after a day of work and watching a New Yorks Knicks game is not that high. They are horrible.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I also have to add this. The LA/NY TV market for sports is totally over blown. Those cities have a lot of people yes...but they are transplants from other parts of the country/world, and are also some of the laziest, most disengaged fans in sports. Lakers and Dodgers games are 1/2 full until an hour after the game starts. The amount of people going home after a day of work and watching a New Yorks Knicks game is not that high. They are horrible.

To an extent that's true for LA but it's not at all true of New York (or Boston or Philadelphia etc). And even the LA market, as huge as it is, is significant even if a large percentage of the population is "disengaged".

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
To an extent that's true for LA but it's not at all true of New York (or Boston or Philadelphia etc). And even the LA market, as huge as it is, is significant even if a large percentage of the population is "disengaged".

Im gonna disagree with NY. They have the Knicks and the Nets....and people still don't care.

I would argue the best fan base in NY is the Buffalo Bills....by a massive amount.

Boston and Philly you are right. But you also have far more "born and raised" in Philly and Boston...people are lifelong fans.

I know this is a stupid point...but honestly I know a lot of people from New York...and none of them have every cared about the Knicks. These guys are in their 30's....but unless you want to hang your hat on "almost beating the Bulls a couple of times 25 years ago"....why on earth would people waste their time with that team? The owner is a nutjob and hates the fans.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im gonna disagree with NY. They have the Knicks and the Nets....and people still don't care.

I would argue the best fan base in NY is the Buffalo Bills....by a massive amount.

Boston and Philly you are right. But you also have far more "born and raised" in Philly and Boston...people are lifelong fans.

I know this is a stupid point...but honestly I know a lot of people from New York...and none of them have every cared about the Knicks. These guys are in their 30's....but unless you want to hang your hat on "almost beating the Bulls a couple of times 25 years ago"....why on earth would people waste their time with that team? The owner is a nutjob and hates the fans.

99% of the NY population could hate sports and that could still leave a huge fan base. The Knicks were horrible for years yet they still packed the arena. Looking at the largely under 40 crowd it's true that the the Knicks are only the 15th most popular franchise on Instagram (11th on Facebook) but the other team's market that you knocked, the Lakers, dominate the Social Media scene (1st on FB, 2nd on Instagram). Both markets are still incredibly relevant.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sports in general has been rigged for years simply because so much money is at stake. Tv and advertisers set to price. We all know that...but I have to admit...it's feels sooooo good to beat a team and the refs (league) in any sport! It's just immensely satisfying for this 'ole sports fan!!!

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
99% of the NY population could hate sports and that could still leave a huge fan base. The Knicks were horrible for years yet they still packed the arena. Looking at the largely under 40 crowd it's true that the the Knicks are only the 15th most popular franchise on Instagram (11th on Facebook) but the other team's market that you knocked, the Lakers, dominate the Social Media scene (1st on FB, 2nd on Instagram). Both markets are still incredibly relevant.

Getting 20k fans into Maddison Square Garden....in a city of 9 million people isn't that impressive. Plus, its a tourist destination.

We were talking TV ratings. Who has more "fans" that wear the gear and jump on the hype train when convenient than the LA Lakers? I would bet over 1/2 of the people following the Lakers or their players on social media dont even know they are out of the playoffs....or where ever in them....or what the playoffs are!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW the NBA is saying the out of bounds call off Booker is the correct call without admitting that for over 90% of the game they don't call it that way. I HAVE seen that called that way before but only on replay. It's just like how the Warriors lost a game a few years ago when a guy went over the back of Draymond and knocked the ball out off Draymond. The refs did what they always do, don't call the foul, give it to the Warriors. But they then challenged it, replayed it and gave the ball to the other team(don't recall who) and it ended up changing the outcome of the game.

Jalen Rose said he knows for a fact lots of NBA people are pushing to get that rule changed and this will add to it.

My issue is if you watch the whole play, Booker is dribbling with his right hand, and Beverley is reaching in with his left hand. At the same time Beverley's RIGHT hand is fouling Booker, who responds by clearing out(fouling) with his left hand). So you watch a replay the first thing the refs do is blatantly ignore 2 fouls, because they're not allowed to call a foul there just the out of bounds part of it.

Even if you watch the offensive foul on Booker play not only does beverley foul Booker first, but if you look, Luke Kennard fouls Booker too as Booker is hitting Beverley with his right hand, Kennard is fouling his left arm

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose