The Mercury are on their way to a 3rd title

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There hasn't been a post about the Mercury here in over a year.

They have, of course, the best record in the WNBA.

I'll be at the game tonight rooting for our three All Stars and especially my personal favorite DeWanna Bonner, who last season averaged over 20 PPG when the team was hit with injuries and, this season, is a role-playing starter who guards the opponent's best scorer.

Hopefully, the winning streak will continue. And, as a bonus, I'll be rooting against New York. :)

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I watched them when they have been on TV.

Awesome team this year. Living up to last years billing.

Good job managing the team by Brondello.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are unstoppable. Fun to watch. DT and BG high pick and roll is dangerous.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Mercury have swept L.A. to advance to the Western Conference Finals.

It is going to be a tough series vs. Minnesota. Whichever team advances to the WNBA Finals will be heavily favored to become the Champs.

Go Mercury!

And, yes, Sandy Brondello is excellent in her first season as Head Coach. L.A.'s loss is our gain.

BTW, Brittney Griner presented an engagement ring to Glory Johnson of the Tulsa Shock, whom the Mercury face four times per season. I guess it will be the first time in a major sports league that spouses face each other.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's going to be hard to beat the Mercury. All players are playing on top of their game. Love seeing AZ teams winning. Rattlers championship, Mercury championship, Cardinals championship??? :)

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Too bad that Fox Sports Arizona+ channel on Cox is supposed to be televising the game, but is not.

Their own directory shows that they should be.

I wonder if it is Fox or Cox who is letting us down.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Regarding last night's blackout by Fox Sports Arizona+ of our first playoff game with Minnesota, Cox cable told me that the parent NBA blocks TV coverage (although listed locally) within 35 miles. Those bastards!!!

I told Cox that they should have had a clearer message than "Try later".

'Reminds me of thirty years ago when fans in Phoenix couldn't watch any Suns home games on TV. We've sure come a long way! :sad:

Hopefully the Mercury will sweep the series on Sunday so it won't be a factor on Tuesday. But it will be again for the WNBA championship series.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Regarding last night's blackout by Fox Sports Arizona+ of our first playoff game with Minnesota, Cox cable told me that the parent NBA blocks TV coverage (although listed locally) within 35 miles. Those bastards!!!

I told Cox that they should have had a clearer message than "Try later".

'Reminds me of thirty years ago when fans in Phoenix couldn't watch any Suns home games on TV. We've sure come a long way! :sad:

Hopefully the Mercury will sweep the series on Sunday so it won't be a factor on Tuesday. But it will be again for the WNBA championship series.
And here is the punch line. This "note" appeared in Sunday's AzRepublic.

Friday night's Western Conference finals Game 1 wasn't available on FSAZ-Plus for Cox subscribers due to a technical problem.
Horsefeathers! A Cox technical rep read me the memo to them from the NBA stating that the game was to be blacked out within a 35 mile radius of Phoenix.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
On to the Finals

With the Mercury up by only 2 points as the 3rd quarter was coming to a close, Diana Taurasi hit a half-court shot and the Mercury went on to win by 18 to eliminate Minnesota.

DT led the way with 31 points and 7 assists and Britney Griner added 22 points to lead the Mercury to the WNBA Finals, starting on Sunday.

Mercury is the closest planet to the sun but, for the third time, the Phoenix Suns revolve around their little sister, the Phoenix Mercury.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Figures, I was someplace where they had NBATv and it was blacked out.
so will they be blacked out on Sunday? I hope not.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Figures, I was someplace where they had NBATv and it was blacked out.
so will they be blacked out on Sunday? I hope not.
Kevin Ray and Ann Meyers Drysdale mentioned during the Fox Sports Arizona Plus telecast of Game 3 vs. Minnesota (which was not blacked out) that Sunday's game will be televised on ESPN-on-ABC.

I assume that the whole Best-3-out-of-5 Championship series vs. either Indiana or Chicago will be on either ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL at "best of 3" and "best of 5." Come on !! They only play 34 games in the regular season. Would it kill them to play "best of 7" ? #wegotnext

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
LOL at "best of 3" and "best of 5." Come on !! They only play 34 games in the regular season. Would it kill them to play "best of 7" ? #wegotnext

For most of these women they play 2 seasons a year. They will head overseas to make money that they cant get in the WNBA.

I don't see what difference it makes how long the series are. Is 7 a magic number or something?

You don't even like to watch 1 game why would you complain that they only play 3 or 5? :)

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For most of these women they play 2 seasons a year. They will head overseas to make money that they cant get in the WNBA.

I don't see what difference it makes how long the series are. Is 7 a magic number or something?

You don't even like to watch 1 game why would you complain that they only play 3 or 5? :)

:D

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The Sky have a player named "Epiphany". That's a new one for me.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard