The Many Ways This Draft Could Go Wrong for the Cardinals

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We all started off so positive a few weeks ago with all the options the Cards seemed to have. Not only per the draft but in pre-draft trades also. But as the draft approaches, the board has quieted down and much of our expectations have seemed to at least been tapered, if not nearly squashed. I know my emotions seem to swing in the wind in regards to anything Cardinal, and this draft is no exception.

As the draft gets closer and closer my positive expectations have definitely shrunk to the point of not expecting much. Due probably to the seemingly lack of talk and interest aimed our way most recently, and reminding myself that we are the 'Cardinals', I am beginning to envision ways this draft could go horribly wrong.

I can't help but wonder if this draft won't be remembered over the years as "The Draft that Nearly Was!" or "The Draft that Could Have Been!".

What are ways you see this draft going bad and/or not living up to its once potential? For me it would be for us to simply not expand our chances and just stand pat making our normal hit and miss picks. Even drafting Anderson alone, I can't see changing this team that much. We need so much more, and I have such little time left to experience it happening. Without expanding our chances, we would need to hit perfectly on every pick and we all know that never happens.

Hopefully, this draft doesn't simply become 'The Draft that Could Have Been!'.

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I’m hoping this new GM will be a winner for us. I personally think it would be hard to screw this draft up in the first three rounds. I am actually optimistic for this draft. There are a lot of really good players that fit our needs on both lines and at CB. Normally I’m a best player available guy but if we draft just for need I think we do well.

Hopefully for you Sissy they give you some excitement and make you happy this year.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Hopefully for you Sissy they give you some excitement and make you happy this year.
Thanks for the nice thought. I know I won't be disappointed this season, for I really don't expect much. A little growth and experience by our new team of management would be nice. I would most like to be excited by a great draft. I will happily settle for that.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No idea how good the players we select will turn out to be. Fingers crossed, but I'll be happy if we come away with 10 picks. And that's w/o trading DHop or Buda. If either/both are traded that 10 number will go up, unless they involve 2024 picks. Don't expect anything to happen before Thursday. JMO.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep in mind that MO’s scouting process is not totally in effect for this draft. Sadly, he still has to depend on the same scouting principles that Keim used. Once this draft ends, he will be making more changes. But, for at least this year, he and JG, will need to put more emphasis on what THEY think as opposed to what their scouts bring to the table.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are planning the motor to run this team is Kyler Murray. We need help all over this roster.
Would it be insane to build around this offense in this draft? Hear me out.
Let’s say we trade down and get ( an example) Skoronski, Schmitt, Gibbs, and a Wr like Addison?
Yes I know we need defense. But maybe building a dynamic offense this year and surrounding Murray with a great o-line, an electric rb and big Wr wouldn’t be a bad way to go.
We could then Add a few free agents and Load up on defense the rest of the way.
Gannon is gushing over Murray. We know it’s going to take more than one draft. Why not load up and establish a dynamic offense in 2023?

Go ahead. Fire away . I know I’m going to get smoked here.

Last edited:

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
We all started off so positive a few weeks ago with all the options the Cards seemed to have. Not only per the draft but in pre-draft trades also. But as the draft approaches, the board has quieted down and much of our expectations have seemed to at least been tapered, if not nearly squashed. I know my emotions seem to swing in the wind in regards to anything Cardinal, and this draft is no exception.

As the draft gets closer and closer my positive expectations have definitely shrunk to the point of not expecting much. Due probably to the seemingly lack of talk and interest aimed our way most recently, and reminding myself that we are the 'Cardinals', I am beginning to envision ways this draft could go horribly wrong.

I can't help but wonder if this draft won't be remembered over the years as "The Draft that Nearly Was!" or "The Draft that Could Have Been!".

What are ways you see this draft going bad and/or not living up to its once potential? For me it would be for us to simply not expand our chances and just stand pat making our normal hit and miss picks. Even drafting Anderson alone, I can't see changing this team that much. We need so much more, and I have such little time left to experience it happening. Without expanding our chances, we would need to hit perfectly on every pick and we all know that never happens.

Hopefully, this draft doesn't simply become 'The Draft that Could Have Been!'.
6 of one and half a dozen of the other, no matter what, there are those who will love it, those who wont like it at all and somewhere in between, that's just the way it is!

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Keep in mind that MO’s scouting process is not totally in effect for this draft. Sadly, he still has to depend on the same scouting principles that Keim used. Once this draft ends, he will be making more changes. But, for at least this year, he and JG, will need to put more emphasis on what THEY think as opposed to what their scouts bring to the table.
MO touched on that in the pre-draft presser!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One way. Drafting Tyree Wilson.

Otherwise pretty hard to go wrong in round 1.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One way. Drafting Tyree Wilson.

Otherwise pretty hard to go wrong in round 1.
I get this is your opinion, but being certain about any draft prospect is a bad look.

People are wrong more than they are right when projecting player outcomes.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I get this is your opinion, but being certain about any draft prospect is a bad look.

People are wrong more than they are right when projecting player outcomes.
a bad look? Interesting.

the OP asked for an opinion, he gave his and that was it.

His opine was that drafting Wilson would be the wrong move. I happen to disagree with that but i realize this is thread asking for opinion on a message board.

Personally I think Skoronski is the bad move given his measurables.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I am hoping we move Hopkins before the draft if we are going to get rid of him. That will clarify our needs with the expectation of taking a WR with one of our top 3 or 4 picks.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I think it goes wrong if they don't trade back.
I think it goes wrong if they trade back and don't select the right players.

So it's likely going to go wrong...

Let's say it in a song:

When I see our team about to pick
I get so shaky and I feel so weak
I tell my eyes look the other way
But they don't seem to hear a word I say

And I, go to pieces and I wanna hide
Go to pieces and I almost die
Every time my team makes a pick

I tell my heart this time it will be new
This next player will surely be true
But it doesn't listen, doesn't seem to care
As we reach again for only air

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ll name a few ways:
• Cards trade with Indy and we select Carter at #4 who then gets convicted of some associated crime and spends time in jail or at a minimum suspended for a year
• We stay put and Anderson says no thank you so we pick whomever that doesn’t work out.
• Raiders trade with Houston and pick Levis leaving Indy with Shroud or Young whomever isn’t picked at #1
• Nobody wants to trade so we drop all the way down to Tennessee and get a 4th rounder in return

All said and done, nothing is guaranteed so wherever we pick, we are rolling dice.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's say it in a song:

When I see our team about to pick
I get so shaky and I feel so weak
I tell my eyes look the other way
But they don't seem to hear a word I say

I tell my heart this time it will be new
This next player will surely be true
But it doesn't listen, doesn't seem to care
As we reach again for only air

Peter and Gordon!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals need to have a plan in place if Will Anderson is off the board, even if that means drafting a quarterback and keeping him or trading him later.

Cards need to have backup plans for the backup plan.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We are planning the motor to run this team is Kyler Murray. We need help all over this roster.
Would it be insane to build around this offense in this draft? Hear me out.
Let’s say we trade down and get ( an example) Skoronski, Schmitt, Gibbs, and a Wr like Addison?
Yes I know we need defense. But maybe building a dynamic offense this year and surrounding Murray with a great o-line, an electric rb and big Wr wouldn’t be a bad way to go.
We could then Add a few free agents and Load up on defense the rest of the way.
Gannon is gushing over Murray. We know it’s going to take more than one draft. Why not load up and establish a dynamic offense in 2023?

Go ahead. Fire away . I know I’m going to get smoked here.
You make sense. But every draft is considered an offensive draft or a defensive draft, and I have no idea how this one is rated. Maybe Harry or someone could let us know what the experts think.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You make sense. But every draft is considered an offensive draft or a defensive draft, and I have no idea how this one is rated. Maybe Harry or someone could let us know what the experts think.
I just think it makes sense to solidify one side of the ball.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Not getting Lucas Van Ness

I just keep seeing Jared Allen 2.0 with that kid... he is chaos right now, once he becomes controlled chaos dude is going to be an all pro

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
It's the Cards. You don't have to think very hard how it could go wrong for this team.

I fear our destiny is Wadsworth v2 if we stay put or Pace/Johnston v2 if we trade down.

There's no winning either way.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I say drafting Anderson is the first step. Then it's all about getting the OL and DL built through the draft; something Keim chose to ignore both through a lot of trading and trying to be too cute in the draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson