The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon Prime)

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a Tolkien series to be good, but there's no way THIS can be good.

No, toxic fandom is when you hate the IP (and it's fans) you paid a billion dollars for, scoop it out, and put your sophomoric fanfic in.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
85% on Rotten Tomatoes from 82 reviews.

Sounds awful.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, toxic fandom is when you hate the IP (and it's fans) you paid a billion dollars for, scoop it out, and put your sophomoric fanfic in.
There is “NO WAY THIS CAN BE GOOD.”

You guys are ridiculous.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want it to be great but from everything that's out on it I'm expecting garbage. The trailers and press junket for the actors hasn't done this show any favors in my book. I'm getting more dread with each one I see.

But that's my take on those sites in general from what I've seen from them over the years and not specific to this show. I don't trust them before I've seen the show/movie at all.
Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like you are looking for confirmation bias and anything positive you have made you your mind isn't "qualified" to give an opinion. As @cheesebeef stated the response has been overwhelmingly positive. I could have posted more reviews, but it started to feel redundant because most were positive. Unless your argument is they are ALL studios shills I really don't see a point. A couple of you guys seemed to already make up your mind purely on the trailers.

It's scoring well on RT and MC aggregation sites.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Variety and Hollywood Reporter give it good reviews. I'm curious where these posters are learning that the Hollywood rags are "shills" for the studios? Those of us that work in Hollywood don't know crap, but some random people in AZ and PA are experts!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Variety and Hollywood Reporter give it good reviews. I'm curious where these posters are learning that the Hollywood rags are "shills" for the studios? Those of us that work in Hollywood don't know crap, but some random people in AZ and PA are experts!
Yeah… I have no idea where the idea that Variety/Hollywood Reporter are shills comes from.

But Entertainment Weekly is the review of all reviews? Personally, they’re all over the place for me and not reliable to tell me much of anything, good or bad.

Again, this all feels like confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. Over 100 reviews between a couple sites and they are all Hollywood shills and don't carry weight? What?!!?

The only good responses to the pilot that I've seen so far are from untrusted sources. Sites that I believe are shills for the studios don't hold any weight with me.
Untrusted? There is over 100 reviews out there yet only the sources you like carry weight? Huh?

So you have already made up your mind without seeing it based on your first statement. Also, you are 100% wrong about toxic fandom. It's literally in the name. FANDOM. They are fans. Star Wars fans are a prime example. Tons of good fans in the fandom but there are also toxic fans that will crucify anything post original trilogy. Same with Marvel/DC. There are fans that crucify anything out of step with the comics. No, Toxic fandoms don't hate the IP or they wouldn't be part of the fandom.

Last edited:

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Toxic fandom" is nothing but a thought terminating cliche used by people who can't stand opposing viewpoints. It's lazy and condescending.

I have formed a opinion based on what I've learned so far. It looks like utter crap. The trailers have been cringe CW level bilge and have been ratioed into oblivion. But I'm supposed to believe paid industry agents and not my own eyes and ears?

Rotten Tomatoes has it rated (by only professional "critics" so far) higher than EVERY LotR movie, and we're supposed to trust that? Talk about confirmation bias.

What happens when the number falls? What happens when ACTUAL reviews come in?

Hey, if you like it. Great. Enjoy consuming content. But don't try to convince me it's Tolkien.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Toxic fandom" is nothing but a thought terminating cliche used by people who can't stand opposing viewpoints. It's lazy and condescending.

I have formed a opinion based on what I've learned so far. It looks like utter crap. The trailers have been cringe CW level bilge and have been ratioed into oblivion. But I'm supposed to believe paid industry agents and not my own eyes and ears?

Rotten Tomatoes has it rated (by only professional "critics" so far) higher than EVERY LotR movie, and we're supposed to trust that? Talk about confirmation bias.

Hey, if you like it. Great. Enjoy consuming content. But don't try to convince me it's Tolkien.
It's literally not. Toxic Fandom can easily be differentiated from people who simply are debating the merits of an episode or a movie in a trilogy they don't like. Toxic Fandom is not any of that and it's intellectually dishonest to compare it to normal opposing views. We have all seen toxic fandom. Even in these very sports forums.

So, you are suggesting out of the over 100 reviews most are "industry agents"? Based on what? Do you keep track of what all of them have reviewed to form a logical opinion on their track records? If anything, you are being cliche about critics. That's the very definition of confirmation bias. There are obviously bad and good ones. You are taking a pretty big unsubstantiated leap calling them all "agents" just to fit your narrative.

Also, RT doesn't rate anything. They aggregate reviews of critics. So, does MT. There is nothing to "trust" or "not trust" about aggregation. The point being is that MOST seem to like it. That's all that is being said. That number can absolutely drop as more reviews come in. So what? So, it only holds value if it's the number you want to confirm your opinion?

Look at where this thread started. You made up your mind based on a few seconds of footage. No matter how good it might turn out to be you already made up your mind. I seriously doubt anybody thinks they can convince you otherwise.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm genuinely curious what they believe their qualifications are to produce such blanket statements without seeing the show.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm genuinely curious what they believe their qualifications are to produce such blanket statements without seeing the show.
I want to see their "approved list" of critics that carry so much weight.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hey, if you like it. Great. Enjoy consuming content. But don't try to convince me it's Tolkien. Because I’m convinced it’s not even though I haven’t seen a minute of the actual show!
FTFY.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ov

Over 82 actual reviews have come in. They’re all at the link I already gave you.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Ov

Over 82 actual reviews have come in. They’re all at the link I already gave you.
It would be nice if they actually showed the reviews. When you click on "View All Critic Reviews (92)" it brings you to a page with only 2 reviews. One from TV Guide and one from a YouTuber I've never seen before. RT has been doing this a bit lately with new releases. She-Hulk and a couple other shows had the same thing happen when they first aired.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's going by the trailers, cast interviews, and other promotional material Amazon has put out. You know the stuff that's supposed to make us want to watch it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if they actually showed the reviews. When you click on "View All Critic Reviews (92)" it brings you to a page with only 2 reviews. One from TV Guide and one from a YouTuber I've never seen before. RT has been doing this a bit lately with new releases. She-Hulk and a couple other shows had the same thing happen when they first aired.
I can click on them go right to the reviews. There is a "Full Review" button. Also, many I simply googled and then posted the full reviews above. They are pretty easy to find.

It's going by the trailers, cast interviews, and other promotional material Amazon has put out. You know the stuff that's supposed to make us want to watch it.
That's supposed to draw you in which is true. It's not supposed to definitively decide how good or bad something is. I have been burned by that plenty of times. Thinking something looks bad from a trailer and is good and something that looks great from a trailer is bad.

Besides, the first trailer was completely underwhelming. The second one was pretty damn good. How the hell am I supposed to make up my mind based on that? If anything, it makes me even keeled about the show and not deciding right now. It could turn out to be a stink fest.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's the Star Trek 5 effect in reverse. Trailer looks amazing but the movie was awful. Basing it on that? That is far from definitive.

Cast interviews? Which ones make you think this is going to be awful?

Promotional Material? What else besides the trailers would make you think this was awful?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I can click on them go right to the reviews. There is a "Full Review" button. Also, many I simply googled and then posted the full reviews above. They are pretty easy to find.
This site is bugging out for me. I only have 2 of the 92 reviews listed to even see. So I don't even know who the other 90 are to goggle them. It's an RT bug. Like I mentioned it's been happening on the release of new shows lately and not a Rings of Power issue.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the Star Trek 5 effect in reverse. Trailer looks amazing but the movie was awful. Basing it on that? That is far from definitive.

Cast interviews? Which ones make you think this is going to be awful?

Promotional Material? What else besides the trailers would make you think this was awful?
This actually would make a good thread. Off the top of my head? I remember being completely underwhelmed by the original Hellboy trailer, Drive, Kingsman and Cabin in the Woods. I know there are a bunch more if I think about it. I even think I was extremely underwhelmed by the first Golden Eye trailer if I remember correctly.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This site is bugging out for me. I only have 2 of the 92 reviews listed to even see. So I don't even know who the other 90 are to goggle them. It's an RT bug. Like I mentioned it's been happening on the release of new shows lately and not a Rings of Power issue.
Weird, I just checked on 3 browsers and it works fine. Doesn't sound like a RT issue. I will try on my phone and tablet to see if I am seeing it there.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope you are right. Something is wrong there now. I could see more just a few minutes ago and now I can't. Something is definitely wrong with the site. I just hit refresh and the others I could see were gone.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Weird, I just checked on 3 browsers and it works fine. Doesn't sound like a RT issue. I will try on my phone and tablet to see if I am seeing it there.
It's really weird. I tried 3 browser on my desktop and 2 on my work laptop. All the same. It's why I chalked it up to a bug. Either that or RT is spying on me and hiding them. ;)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This actually would make a good thread. Off the top of my head? I remember being completely underwhelmed by the original Hellboy trailer, Drive, Kingsman and Cabin in the Woods. I know there are a bunch more if I think about it. I even think I was extremely underwhelmed by the first Golden Eye trailer if I remember correctly.
I think that would make a good one too. Would you or @Chaplin mind if I copy your posts over to a new thread in #movies for it?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard