The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Amazon Prime)

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say Disney is hitting it out of the ballpark, but they are not crushing it either. The new content has been a mixed bag. There has been some fantastic content and some of it run of the mill blah. There has been nothing so far that I absolutely hate. The ratings are fantastic, and the box office is good. As long as there is demand for new content they should continue. They should take a cautionary tale with Trek though. There can be too much and if the quality isn't there people will tune out. Trek was dead on the vine for a bit. Interesting enough there is more Trek on TV now than ever before (2 live action shows, 2 animation shows) and fans are eating it up.

I look at it this way. Would I rather see new SW content of varying degrees of quality or zero content? Pretty easy answer for me. If something isn't my cup of tea, I'm out an hour or two. Moving along. I'll still give the next one a try because I love the universe and I always will.

Star Trek has been all over the map and in my opinion, hasn't hit as many high notes as SW has since Disney took over. But, I still watch the stuff and it hasn't poisoned me enough to reject any new ST out of hand. I'm only current with Picard at this point. I'm sure I'll get back to Discovery one of these days, but it's not really a priority. I don't love the main character so to the back burner it goes until I'm caught up on the other things I enjoy.

Options are good! I get lamenting quantity over quality, but man, the energy being devoted to, as Cheese so eloquently put it, toxic fandom, is pretty wild.

And, to get back on topic, I'm very much looking forward to trying out this new LoTR!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way. Would I rather see new SW content of varying degrees of quality or zero content? Pretty easy answer for me. If something isn't my cup of tea, I'm out an hour or two. Moving along. I'll still give the next one a try because I love the universe and I always will.

Star Trek has been all over the map and in my opinion, hasn't hit as many high notes as SW has since Disney took over. But, I still watch the stuff and it hasn't poisoned me enough to reject any new ST out of hand. I'm only current with Picard at this point. I'm sure I'll get back to Discovery one of these days, but it's not really a priority. I don't love the main character so to the back burner it goes until I'm caught up on the other things I enjoy.

Options are good! I get lamenting quantity over quality, but man, the energy being devoted to, as Cheese so eloquently put it, toxic fandom, is pretty wild.

And, to get back on topic, I'm very much looking forward to trying out this new LoTR!
This part and there seems to be a part of every fandom that is "automatically toxic" to anything new on top of that. I mean you can go on forums, chat groups and almost predict what certain people are going to say every time. It's like a sport to them and social media has only made it worse.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now this looks MUCH better.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That's a brutal review.

They do post a summary of other reviews below it and this looks to be really polarizing, there appeared to be half good/half bad reviews. Haven't checked Rotten Tomatoes.

They do mention that Bronwyn attacks a troll and it's a brutal battle, so I'm looking forward to that -- I never thought my friend Nazanin would be doing something like that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just posted a bunch of reviews. Most seem really positive. Crossing fingers.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Just posted a bunch of reviews. Most seem really positive. Crossing fingers.
I don't trust VanityFair, hollywood reporter, and a bunch of the other reviews that are out so far. Those site are great at towing the company line from the studios. They're always way too positive and full of talking points. I posted the couple bad ones because you hardly ever see something that brutal coming from a site like EW. That's what surprised me with it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust VanityFair, hollywood reporter, and a bunch of the other reviews that are out so far. Those site are great at towing the company line from the studios. They're always way too positive and full of talking points. I posted the couple bad ones because you hardly ever see something that brutal coming from a site like EW. That's what surprised me with it.
This feels like you just want it to be bad.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This feels like you just want it to be bad.
I want it to be great but from everything that's out on it I'm expecting garbage. The trailers and press junket for the actors hasn't done this show any favors in my book. I'm getting more dread with each one I see.

But that's my take on those sites in general from what I've seen from them over the years and not specific to this show. I don't trust them before I've seen the show/movie at all.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want it to be great but from everything that's out on it I'm expecting garbage. The trailers and press junket for the actors hasn't done this show any favors in my book. I'm getting more dread with each one I see.
This exactly.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But that's my take on those sites in general from what I've seen from them over the years and not specific to this show. I don't trust them before I've seen the show/movie at all.
The overwhelming response to the pilot has been good to great.

And yet you’re expecting trash. Doesn’t make sense to me at all.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The overwhelming response to the pilot has been good to great.

And yet you’re expecting trash. Doesn’t make sense to me at all.
The only good responses to the pilot that I've seen so far are from untrusted sources. Sites that I believe are shills for the studios don't hold any weight with me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard