The Genius of Monti - Tank, but for a good reason

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The HOW of that 0-17 could make a difference. If we're getting mopped every week and the house is full of opposing fans home game after home game, I believe it's a slight possibility.
I don't. I don't see him eating Wilks, Kliff, and then Gannon's contracts within what, 7 years of each other?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You can say that, but he can hold out which will really hamstring the franchise. Foregoing your first year as a GM/HC combo and then trying to appease a difficult QB in year 2 is pretty dumb strategy. And for those who say they are sick of appeasing Kyler, having him demand a trade in year 3 while having a cap hit of 45 mil is a great path to another lost season.

It's a great path to job security for the front office, though! Success is only another year away! Two at most. This is literally the only thing these NE front office types care about. Don't get fired first, have success if you can.

Funny, lol. While there is a lot of truth to that, I seriously doubt that winning the SB is ever in Bidwill's mind. He got lucky and stumbled on a team that got hot at the right time.
I think Bidwill's goal is to make the team competitive. (fight for a playoff team while remaining profitable)

Half the conference makes the playoffs. What an embarrassing goal to just stay relevant past Christmas.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you trade DHop this year, you can do anything with Kyler in 2024 because the cap hit is exactly the same of Kyler + Dhop

Suck bad enough to either be in the top 2 and draft a new QB if that is the plan.

Hell, even if Gannon becomes the first 0-17 team next season, I don't think Bidwill sacks him.

This is the plan I can get behind. I'd like Kyler to get another shot, but we have a new regime and we neee to start completely over.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The 70mil bonus is paid. It is in Kyler's pocket. Kyler can demand a trade and then "hold in" for the entirety of training camp in 2024 costing him nothing. From there Kyler could hold out per game up to week 9 at a cost of a game check per week. That tanks the season (about as well as Monti has this season) especially when Kyler is on the books for 51 mil. This leaves us with a disgruntled QB, a public trade demand, and a 51 mil cap hit hindering our roster build. In year 2 of a new HC/GM after our franchise has thrown away year 1. Do you also believe a QB demanding to be traded makes it more attractive to sign free agents? It doesn't get better in year 3.
It'll never happen.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't. I don't see him eating Wilks, Kliff, and then Gannon's contracts within what, 7 years of each other?
You got a point there bro! I would be beyond livid because I already loathe the hire to begin with, but if we go BACKWARDS this season AND have to see him another 2-3 years????? Maaaaaaan, my fandom can only take so much.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
The 70mil bonus is paid. It is in Kyler's pocket. Kyler can demand a trade and then "hold in" for the entirety of training camp in 2024 costing him nothing. From there Kyler could hold out per game up to week 9 at a cost of a game check per week. That tanks the season (about as well as Monti has this season) especially when Kyler is on the books for 51 mil. This leaves us with a disgruntled QB, a public trade demand, and a 51 mil cap hit hindering our roster build. In year 2 of a new HC/GM after our franchise has thrown away year 1. Do you also believe a QB demanding to be traded makes it more attractive to sign free agents? It doesn't get better in year 3.
I don't think MB cut him a check for 70 mil. His signing bonus was less than 30 mil. His salary is guaranteed for the next couple of years, but if he holds out he's not getting those game day checks.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’ve thought for a few weeks that the current cost cutting is for creating the cap space to absorb a massive cap hit for trading Kyler after next season. It’s about to be b2b years of $40m+ dead cap hits for Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers trades so it’s actually not that unrealistic to think about.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't think MB cut him a check for 70 mil. His signing bonus was less than 30 mil. His salary is guaranteed for the next couple of years, but if he holds out he's not getting those game day checks.
Sorry, 68 mil as of the 10th day of the 2023 league year. 3/25 I believe. (saturday)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also, 2025 he gets a hefty roster bonus and his base salary decreases so a holdout is less impactful then.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I honestly don't think Keim or Bidwill knew that the time to really go for it is when your franchise QB is still on his rookie contract. Even his first re-signed year is the last one really, since his cap hit is under 16M this year.
They traded or signed for DeAndre Hopkins, Hollywood Brown, Rodney Hudson, JJ Watt, Jordan Hicks, Markus Golden, Jordan Phillips, Robert Alford etc while Kyler was on his rookie deal…. They just made the wrong choices and drafted horribly.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They traded or signed for DeAndre Hopkins, Hollywood Brown, Rodney Hudson, JJ Watt, Jordan Hicks, Markus Golden, Jordan Phillips, Robert Alford etc while Kyler was on his rookie deal…. They just made the wrong choices and drafted horribly.
I don't think he did all of these to win the SB. He did it to be profitable. Just my opinion.