The Genius of Monti - Tank, but for a good reason

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I've been pulling my hair out trying to understand what Monti is doing. Then it hit me. Monti is an absolute genius!

When Kyler sees the final roster that Monti has assembled, it should only be a matter of time before Erik Burkhardt publishes an ALL CAPS letter demanding a trade. (seriously - just signed one of the worst OL in the entire league to a 2 year deal)

Monti calls up Jerry Jones and says "I have a QB that is undefeated in your stadium. Send me your 2024 1st and 2nd and he's all yours."

Jerry knows he's not winning a SB with Dak and takes the deal.

Monti ends up with the 2024 1st pick in the draft and takes a QB.

Make it so Monti.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
crap, forgot guaranteed $ leaves dead cap space. Edited post

According to over the cap trading before june 1st give ~$59m in dead cap with the team losing $43m in cap saving with it. Interestingly trading after june 1st is only a $13m cap hit and the team picks up $3m in cap space. I'm not super clear on how the cap works with trades. Can anyone explain this? I don't really see how the numbers work. It doesn't look like it's split between this year and next like with a cut.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
According to over the cap trading before june 1st give ~$59m in dead cap with the team losing $43m in cap saving with it. Interestingly trading after june 1st is only a $13m cap hit and the team picks up $3m in cap space. I'm not super clear on how the cap works with trades. Can anyone explain this? I don't really see how the numbers work. It doesn't look like it's split between this year and next like with a cut.
Bonus accelerates when traded, so Cards would be cap accessed all bonus still unpaid immediately. Salary obligation and dated roster bonuses go with player.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Bonus accelerates when traded, so Cards would be cap accessed all bonus still unpaid immediately. Salary obligation and dated roster bonuses go with player.
Thanks, Harry! So it's mainly the $5.8m signing bonus payouts over the next couple years that the Cards would be on the hook for. What changes with June 1st for trades though? I know for cutting it a difference of this year or split between this and next. It seems like something additional is coming off or moved to next year with how much the numbers change from pre to post on Kyler. My google-fu is failing me. I can't find the formula or mechanics on it right now. Only thing I'm getting are articles talking about the cap.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
This season is going to be the equivalent of eating ramen every night and living in your parent's garage, while trying to build your dream home on the weekends.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Everyone we've signed has direct ties to either the Eagles or the Titans. I hope you are right that this is the strategy, that there even is a strategy. Right now I am very worried that he's actually clueless and we are going to do something stupid like trade for Derrick Henry.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's much more simple.

Our highly paid starting QB is injured. The team don't expect him back early. Players on the team like Allen and Murphy don't expect him back early. Good FA's with multiple options know it's going to be a rough year. Everyone knows next season is a lost cause already. Team building is being done appropriate to that.

Even if Kyler is medically cleared by week 1 they aren't going to rush him back because he relies on his mobility so much. They are going to baby step him back because of the money they have on the line.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The bottom line is we need Kyler to play and perform at a high level.

Then...
1) We can determine if he is our QBOF and keep him.
2) or trade him for actual value vs giving him away before he proves it

If he doesn't perform - then you are most likely cutting him or trading him for peanuts.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
There was a moment here in early march where Kyler could have been traded before a bonus was owed and we could have been rid of his entire deal for 20million somthing in dead cap.

Obviously we didnt take it. He trade value is at an all time low.

I fully, 100% agree that trading Kyler HAS to be on the table. You don't throw good money after bad, and you don't accept mediocrity because you are scare of the cap hit. The cap is the most important/unimportant thing in the NFL. Yes you have to manage the cap, but its at most a couple year cycle. You can go from cap hell to just fine in 1 or 2 offseasons. Its not a reason to decide the future of your franchise.

I want Kyler to be the guy, because we have him. If hes not the guy, then the coaches and GM HAVE to be able to go another direction if they think it will win more games. If we are operating in ANY other way, its the reason we are the worst franchise.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The bottom line is we need Kyler to play and perform at a high level.

Then...
1) We can determine if he is our QBOF and keep him.
2) or trade him for actual value vs giving him away before he proves it

If he doesn't perform - then you are most likely cutting him or trading him for peanuts.
Unless Kyler Murray quits, he's not being cut or traded until at least 2025...and even then it's over a $30 million cap hit.

All the talk about moving him next off-season should really stop. It's almost $70 million cap hit.

He's basically the Cards contract version of Zeke and the Cowboys. Gotta wait 2-3 years to make it feasible to move on.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Unless Kyler Murray quits, he's not being cut or traded until at least 2025...and even then it's over a $30 million cap hit.

All the talk about moving him next off-season should really stop. It's almost $70 million cap hit.

He's basically the Cards contract version of Zeke and the Cowboys. Gotta wait 2-3 years to make it feasible to move on.
You can say that, but he can hold out which will really hamstring the franchise. Foregoing your first year as a GM/HC combo and then trying to appease a difficult QB in year 2 is pretty dumb strategy. And for those who say they are sick of appeasing Kyler, having him demand a trade in year 3 while having a cap hit of 45 mil is a great path to another lost season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Disagree. Wasting Kyler's last affordable year should indicate this franchise is willing to throw away a season for any reason.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This season is going to be the equivalent of eating ramen every night and living in your parent's garage, while trying to build your dream home on the weekends.
Funny, lol. While there is a lot of truth to that, I seriously doubt that winning the SB is ever in Bidwill's mind. He got lucky and stumbled on a team that got hot at the right time.
I think Bidwill's goal is to make the team competitive. (fight for a playoff team while remaining profitable)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. Wasting Kyler's last affordable year should indicate this franchise is willing to throw away a season for any reason.
I honestly don't think Keim or Bidwill knew that the time to really go for it is when your franchise QB is still on his rookie contract. Even his first re-signed year is the last one really, since his cap hit is under 16M this year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You can say that, but he can hold out which will really hamstring the franchise. Foregoing your first year as a GM/HC combo and then trying to appease a difficult QB in year 2 is pretty dumb strategy. And for those who say they are sick of appeasing Kyler, having him demand a trade in year 3 while having a cap hit of 45 mil is a great path to another lost season.
He's not holding out and forfeiting $30-50 million dollars .. lol Just like Kliff was never quitting and waking away from $25 million.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you trade DHop this year, you can do anything with Kyler in 2024 because the cap hit is exactly the same of Kyler + Dhop
Suck bad enough to either be in the top 2 and draft a new QB if that is the plan.

Hell, even if Gannon becomes the first 0-17 team next season, I don't think Bidwill sacks him.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Suck bad enough to either be in the top 2 and draft a new QB if that is the plan.

Hell, even if Gannon becomes the first 0-17 team next season, I don't think Bidwill sacks him.
The HOW of that 0-17 could make a difference. If we're getting mopped every week and the house is full of opposing fans home game after home game, I believe it's a slight possibility.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He's not holding out and forfeiting $30-50 million dollars .. lol Just like Kliff was never quitting and waking away from $25 million.
The 70mil bonus is paid. It is in Kyler's pocket. Kyler can demand a trade and then "hold in" for the entirety of training camp in 2024 costing him nothing. From there Kyler could hold out per game up to week 9 at a cost of a game check per week. That tanks the season (about as well as Monti has this season) especially when Kyler is on the books for 51 mil. This leaves us with a disgruntled QB, a public trade demand, and a 51 mil cap hit hindering our roster build. In year 2 of a new HC/GM after our franchise has thrown away year 1. Do you also believe a QB demanding to be traded makes it more attractive to sign free agents? It doesn't get better in year 3.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose