The game nobody cares about

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but I never watch the Pro Bowl. It's the first real Sunday break during the football season when I actually do chores that have piled up around the house all season. That being said, let's pretend like they actually tried during the pro bowl--the matchup between PP and Fitz would be must-see TV. Here are the lineup for the teams, any other matchups of interest to anyone?

Team Sanders

Coach: Chuck Pagano - Colts

Captains: J.J. Watt - Texans, and Jamaal Charles - Chiefs

DEFENSE

DE J.J. Watt - Texans
DE Greg Hardy - Panthers
DE Mario Williams - Bills
DT Ndamukong Suh - Lions
DT Gerald McCoy - Buccaneers
DT Dontari Poe - Chiefs
OLB Brian Orakpo - Redskins
OLB Tamba Hali - Chiefs
OLB Terrell Suggs - Ravens
ILB Luke Kuechly - Panthers
ILB Paul Posluszny - Jaguars
CB Patrick Peterson - Cardinals
CB Darrelle Revis - Buccaneers
CB Brent Grimes - Dolphins
CB Tim Jennings - Bears
S Eric Berry - Chiefs
S Eric Weddle - Chargers
S T.J. Ward - Browns

OFFENSE

QB Andrew Luck - Colts
QB Cam Newton - Panthers
QB Nick Foles - Eagles
WR A.J. Green - Bengals
WR Dez Bryant - Cowboys
WR Antonio Brown - Steelers
WR DeSean Jackson - Eagles
TE Jason Witten - Cowboys
TE Jordan Cameron - Browns
RB Jamaal Charles - Chiefs
RB Eddie Lacy - Packers
RB Alfred Morris - Redskins
FB Marcel Reece - Raiders
T Trent Williams - Redskins
T Duane Brown - Texans
T Branden Albert - Chiefs
G Marshal Yanda - Ravens
G Logan Mankins - Patriots
G Kyle Long - Bears
C Mike Pouncey - Dolphins
C Alex Mack - Browns

SPECIAL TEAMS

ST Matthew Slater - Patriots
PR Cordarrelle Patterson - Vikings
K Justin Tucker - Ravens
P Brandon Fields - Dolphins
LS J.J. Jansen - Panthers

Team Rice

Coach: Ron Rivera - Panthers

Captains: Drew Brees - Saints, and Robert Quinn - Rams

DEFENSE

DE Robert Quinn - Rams
DE Cameron Jordan - Saints
DE Cameron Wake - Dolphins
DT Jason Hatcher - Cowboys
DT Marcell Dareus - Bills
DT Kyle Williams - Bills
OLB Justin Houston - Chiefs
OLB Robert Mathis - Colts
OLB John Abraham - Cardinals
ILB Vontaze Burfict - Bengals
ILB Derrick Johnson - Chiefs
CB Joe Haden - Browns
CB Brandon Flowers - Chiefs
CB Antonio Cromartie - Jets
CB Alterraun Verner - Titans
S Eric Reid - 49ers
S Jairus Byrd - Bills
S Antrel Rolle - Giants

OFFENSE

QB Drew Brees - Saints
QB Philip Rivers - Chargers
QB Alex Smith - Chiefs
WR Josh Gordon - Browns
WR Alshon Jeffery - Bears
WR Brandon Marshall - Bears
WR Larry Fitzgerald - Cardinals
TE Jimmy Graham - Saints
TE Tony Gonzalez - Falcons
RB LeSean McCoy - Eagles
RB DeMarco Murray - Cowboys
RB Matt Forte - Bears
FB Mike Tolbert - Panthers
T Joe Thomas - Browns
T Tyron Smith - Cowboys
T Jordan Gross - Panthers
G Jahri Evans - Saints
G Ben Grubbs - Saints
G Evan Mathis - Eagles
C Ryan Kalil - Panthers
C Nick Mangold - Jets

SPECIAL TEAMS

ST Justin Bethel - Cardinals
PR Dexter McCluster - Chiefs
K Stephen Gostkowski - Patriots
P Johnny Hekker - Rams
LS Matt Overton - Colts

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'll watch just for the possibility of seeing Patrick Peterson covering Larry Fitzgerald.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I certainly care about it. Not that I so much want to watch it, but because the League, (in all its glory), has for the first time come up with a recipe for disaster. By choosing sides, we now have both PP and Fitz working against each other. One single play that happens to go wrong could wipe out both our offense and defense at the same time. That could never happen without messing with the usual format. Might be far fetched, but it is there nevertheless. I shudder at the thought. Way to go commish !!!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The game is a piece of crap, I've always hated it. Surely it is just about on it's death throes? Team captains choosing players? What is this recess?

When they expand the playoffs, I think it will go away. (yeah, right!)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Justin Bethel just made a really nice play.

He's on the team playing against the Ducks.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Wow. They just contrasted it to last year. Big difference. And teammate on teammate hits have been awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I like the change. Looks like real football. It will be fun until one teammate breaks another teammate's leg.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huge difference from the past this game has actually been very fun to watch

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Still a little surreal to watch this format. Big hit, but then the defender will help up the offensive player instead of taunting.

Peterson with the pick!

Last edited:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You know it is difficult to watch this game and not feel let down after the intensity of the playoffs. I am not going to complain about it since I really don't know what they can do to get millionaires to play hard for basically nothing. What I do want to complain about is the need for the NBC crew to beat us over the head with notion that these guys are playing hard this year. Yeah right Chris. The game was about the same as it usually is. Sure there were pockets of intensity, but it is just pretty unwatchable for fans over the age of 10.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I like the change. Looks like real football. It will be fun until one teammate breaks another teammate's leg.

I'm with you. I was only going to watch for a short while but it was really entertaining. To me it was like watching the best football players in the country playing a pick up game. And as anyone who has ever played a pick up football or basketball game knows people play hard even though it doesn't really mean anything.

Also of note was how much importance the players put on where they were picked.

Great format. Hope they keep it. It should also give the NFL another opportunity for hype by making a big deal over the selection of team leaders for the next one. Rice and Sanders were excellent.

Oh yeah, liked the QBs being miked live. Amazing how the players can memorize the seemingly complex terminology of the play calls in such a short period of time.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
You know it is difficult to watch this game and not feel let down after the intensity of the playoffs. I am not going to complain about it since I really don't know what they can do to get millionaires to play hard for basically nothing. What I do want to complain about is the need for the NBC crew to beat us over the head with notion that these guys are playing hard this year. Yeah right Chris. The game was about the same as it usually is. Sure there were pockets of intensity, but it is just pretty unwatchable for fans over the age of 10.

I thought the general intensity was much higher than prior years, not just in pockets. The DLs, in particular, were getting after it.

Yes, NBC hit us over the head with that observation, which was annoying, but even if they didn't I think the overall product they put out on the field yesterday was light years ahead of where it had been.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I watched a movie!

GBR

Your loss. It was fun to watch. You can watch a movie anytime. You don't get to see a pick up football game with talent like this very often.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Your loss. It was fun to watch. You can watch a movie anytime. You don't get to see a pick up football game with talent like this very often.

It was a good game for the first time in years. Played hard and the D's really had the upper hands.

It was interesting to see almost all the PRO-BOWL OT's struggling at times. Just goes to show, it's one very tough position to play. Anybody can look foolish at times out there against the likes of Quinn or Watt.

OP
OP
Darkside

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It was a good game for the first time in years. Played hard and the D's really had the upper hands.

It was interesting to see almost all the PRO-BOWL OT's struggling at times. Just goes to show, it's one very tough position to play. Anybody can look foolish at times out there against the likes of Quinn or Watt.

Great point you make here. The tackles were especially abused by the D ends. Just goes to show how important scheming is along the line--the TEs rarely stayed in to block and none of the backs helped to chip block (not exactly a forte for guys like Charles anyway). What it shows is that even though passing offenses have evolved, the D lines, especially the edge rushers, have evolved at an equal pace. The offensive lines have fallen behind though--never seen so many pro bowlers either get knocked on their ass or completely whiff a speed rush.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Great point you make here. The tackles were especially abused by the D ends. Just goes to show how important scheming is along the line--the TEs rarely stayed in to block and none of the backs helped to chip block (not exactly a forte for guys like Charles anyway). What it shows is that even though passing offenses have evolved, the D lines, especially the edge rushers, have evolved at an equal pace. The offensive lines have fallen behind though--never seen so many pro bowlers either get knocked on their ass or completely whiff a speed rush.

Part of that can be attributed to the fact that the OL operates as a single unit. They vary their schemes based on what the D shows them, and there really is no substitute for continuity on the line.

With these all stars playing 1 game together, it might be a little harder to get on the same page and effectively block guys who are just pinning their ears back and coming. Probably not a lot of audibles at the line in this game.

OP
OP
Darkside

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Part of that can be attributed to the fact that the OL operates as a single unit. They vary their schemes based on what the D shows them, and there really is no substitute for continuity on the line.

With these all stars playing 1 game together, it might be a little harder to get on the same page and effectively block guys who are just pinning their ears back and coming. Probably not a lot of audibles at the line in this game.

That's a great point also.