The Fall of Nash

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sad to watch. That documentary made it seem like he's hanging on by a STRING.

Michael

The buzz is back!
Reaction score
Some great Suns years with Nash at the helm. The 2005 season was special, but I liked the 2010 team even better. It's always a sad feeling for fans to see special players declining, but him being at the Lakers makes it somewhat easier for me to watch.

Phoenix made a good deal, in hindsight, getting three picks for Nash. I just wish the Lakers had a season like the current one when their pick was the Suns'! Of course LA will attract a couple good players, get a top 3 draft pick and will make the playoffs next season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will always remember Steve Nash as a Sun. He had some great seasons here. I will not remember his decline but I will remember the days when he was the NBA two-time Most Valuable Player and the highs he gave the Suns. Steve Nash will always be remembered fondly by me.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
i'm enjoying every second of it.
It is a positive for Suns fans that we are not facing the consequences of his declining years.

We certainly would not be enjoying the season we are if he we here unless he were willing to step down to the role of backup Point Guard to Dragic for 12 minutes a game. If that were a problem, it would have blocked the development of Goran.

I appreciate what Steve meant to us while he was still in his prime, but not while he was wearing down by the latter part of each season. I was glad to see him move on for that reason.

As far as what he is going through now, Steve chose millions of dollars over recognizing his physical limitations. That was his choice! I don't feel sorry for him going through it. He could have retired with dignity, a choice every sports figure his age has to make.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Hurt again. Ouch.

Because he played in his 10th game Tuesday, if Nash were forced to retire due to medical reasons, his salary wouldn't come off the Lakers' books for a full year from his final game played (February 2015).

At nine games (or fewer), Nash's salary would come off a full year after his final game played last season -- which might have opened up additional spending power for the Lakers in free agency in July.

In either case Nash would receive his full salary.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1957424-los-angeles-lakers-future-cant-include-steve-nash

He cost them some money by playing that 10th game. Since we get their draft pick next year, it is important that they couldn't free up his cap space heading into next season.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am conflicted. It couldn't happen to a better team IMO. LOL. Also, it validates that the Suns made the right decision to move on. We all knew that his body, given the way he played, was a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

I would have loved to see Nash go out on top with another team minus the Lakers, Dallas or the Spurs or at least go out with some dignity.

He is still one of the best to ever put on a Suns uniform.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think Nash would have broke down nearly as much with Aaron Nelson in PHX. But I agree that it was the right decision to move on.

I still love Nash. One of the most entertaining players in sports history. I wish he would have went to Miami or Indiana instead....a team that isn't filled with washed up HOFers cause he would have been easier to root for and he could have possibly retired with a ring as well.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will always remember Steve Nash as a Sun. He had some great seasons here. I will not remember his decline but I will remember the days when he was the NBA two-time Most Valuable Player and the highs he gave the Suns. Steve Nash will always be remembered fondly by me.

+1000.

I dont get the bitterness for choosing the Lakers. I appreciate what he brought to the Suns franchise, Whatever he chose to do with his life..is his business. Haters may like it or not, but he is going to go in the ring of honor

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm not sure I get the thread title. The "fall"? It makes it sounds like he's fallen from grace, or has done something wrong. He got old, no shame in that. As Barkley says, "Father Time is undefeated."

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
"We're all told at some point in time that we can no longer play the children's game, we just don't... don't know when that's gonna be. Some of us are told at eighteen, some of us are told at forty, but we're all told."

- Moneyball

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Nash could easily just sit on the couch and take his money but instead he's going to fight to the bitter end. I respect that. As far as knowing when to retire, it's a very tough thing to know and most play too long. It's a very tough thing to give up that competitive game that you love.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash could easily just sit on the couch and take his money but instead he's going to fight to the bitter end. I respect that. As far as knowing when to retire, it's a very tough thing to know and most play too long. It's a very tough thing to give up that competitive game that you love.

It's also a very tough thing to give up 10 million dollars while embroiled in a nasty divorce.

I'll always love Steve Nash for what he did for the Suns, but he danced with the devil...quite content to see him get burned.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...what? he did what? Are you talking about the Lakers? He was traded there..

He asked to be traded to the Lakers. And before anyone trots out "he wanted to be near his kids" stuff Steve have after going to the evil empire, remember this that he soon after got a restraining order against his wife from moving his kids to Los Angeles.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns didn't want to keep him. Most posters here wanted him gone. When you dump someone, you don't get to choose where that person ends up afterward, or with whom. He had every right to go play for whomever he wanted after the Suns made it clear they were moving in another direction. The notion that he should have just retired to appease those Suns fans who didn't want him on their team but also didn't want him on a rival team is preposterous. And it actually worked out better for the Suns, because they got something in return for an unrestricted free agent.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
He asked to be traded to the Lakers. And before anyone trots out "he wanted to be near his kids" stuff Steve have after going to the evil empire, remember this that he soon after got a restraining order against his wife from moving his kids to Los Angeles.

Boom! exactly right. You wanna know why Steve wanted to go to LA? Take a look at this video. It was produced by Meathawk (his company) and Grantland. He wanted to get an early start on his post-basketball movie production career. Dude's a hollywood wh**e.

That said, we made out like bandits. But the great deal of respect I had for him because of what he did in Phoenix went out the window the day he got all giddy about going to play in LA.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I still don't understand the hate towards Nash. Not once did he say he wanted to be traded, not once did he complain about anything, not once was he anything but an exemplary leader in Phoenix. He was old, we needed to rebuild, and he went to the team that fit what he wanted and needed.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad the Lakers are suffering, but I take no pleasure in Nash being a shell of his former self.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Rooting for Nash

I'm a big Nash fan and I wish him all the best. I don't care about the Lakers. We'll be better than them the next 4-5 years I think so who cares, I want to beat the *** Heat and the *** Spurs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand the hate towards Nash. Not once did he say he wanted to be traded, not once did he complain about anything, not once was he anything but an exemplary leader in Phoenix. He was old, we needed to rebuild, and he went to the team that fit what he wanted and needed.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad the Lakers are suffering, but I take no pleasure in Nash being a shell of his former self.

Haters are going to hate. How quickly they forget the good years Nash had with the Suns and his desire to stay with the team. All Nash did was try to stay near his children in the Valley and ended up in LA to accomplish this. The divorce stuff came later.