The Fall Guy

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plot: A former stuntman springs back into action when the star of a new movie goes missing.
Release date: March 1, 2024 (USA)
Director: David Leitch
Producers: Ryan Gosling, David Leitch, Kelly McCormick, Guymon Casady, Matt Reilly
Cast:
Ryan Gosling
as Colt, a stuntman
Emily Blunt as Jody Moreno, Colt's ex-girlfriend who is directing her first film
Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Tom Ryder, a movie star who goes missing
Stephanie Hsu as the movie star's personal assistant
Winston Duke as Colt's best friend and stunt coordinator
Hannah Waddingham as a film producer
Distributed by: Universal Pictures
Based on: The Fall Guy; by Glen A. Larson

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
WTAF???
Who is the forking genius that looked at a Lee Majors role and thought,...wow. I bet Ryan gosling would be great in that role..... I mean whatdafuq!!?

Looks like they are doing the same stupid shyte they did with Starsky and Hutch and making it satire.

freaking Hollywood is ridiculous... writers should go back on strike because they suck... internet fanfic is better than the poo they come up with.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTAF???
Who is the forking genius that looked at a Lee Majors role and thought,...wow. I bet Ryan gosling would be great in that role..... I mean whatdafuq!!?

Looks like they are doing the same stupid shyte they did with Starsky and Hutch and making it satire.

freaking Hollywood is ridiculous... writers should go back on strike because they suck... internet fanfic is better than the poo they come up with.
Bitchy Internet Fanboys suck and can take that classless strike poo (a strike that was painful and beat the crap out of myself and a lot of my friends) and shove it back where it came from.

Signed,

Hollywood Writer

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that said, this has bad buzz, which is a shame because Gosling and Blunt are two of hollywood's best.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks fun. I’m good with using the Fall Guy IP. Whatevs.
The only thing that even resembles The Fall Guy is that he is a stunt man named Colt Seavers and drives a big GMC truck like the one in the TV show. This could have done without borrowing from a classic TV show and just been called The Stunt Man. It's going to bring in fans of the original show who will likely leave disappointed if they came in expecting it to be anything like the show they grew up with. Meh. Not surprised if it is getting a bad buzz as cheese just posted.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Fall Guy was one of those contrived fun shows but let's not pretend it's some untouchable classic. I am fine with them using the I.P. New generations have no idea what the heck it is anyway.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bitchy Internet Fanboys suck and can take that classless strike poo (a strike that was painful and beat the crap out of myself and a lot of my friends) and shove it back where it came from.

Signed,

Hollywood Writer
your right. Not like the writers have say in what projects get green lighted, they write what they are told to write.
just sad to see hollywood continually make satire of great shows from the seventies and eighties. It is terribly disrespectful and IMO a solid attempt at a remake would do well with the public.

would be nice to see some shows where writers wrote what they were passionate about. something they cared enough about to make it exceptional.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
your right. Not like the writers have say in what projects get green lighted, they write what they are told to write.
just sad to see hollywood continually make satire of great shows from the seventies and eighties. It is terribly disrespectful and IMO a solid attempt at a remake would do well with the public.

would be nice to see some shows where writers wrote what they were passionate about. something they cared enough about to make it exceptional.
I used to feel strongly about this but not any longer. We are talking the 70 and 80’s. That is going on 50 to 60 years ago. The generations that enjoyed those shows are not what drives rating or box office. Some of these shows were not as good as we remember either.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to feel strongly about this but not any longer. We are talking the 70 and 80’s. That is going on 50 to 60 years ago. The generations that enjoyed those shows are not what drives rating or box office. Some of these shows were not as good as we remember either.
No issue with the satirical remakes of 21 Jump Street, Starsky and Hutch, Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPs, etc. At least those still represented the shows they were using the IPs for. This one just looks like they used the main character's name, truck, and occupation and nothing else. It is not The Fall Guy at all. Just a waste of the IP, IMHO.

Reminds me of the Point Break remake which really had nothing at all to do with the original movie - other than character names and a couple of scenes. Should have just ditched trying to connect it to the original and, you know, made it an original film.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No issue with the satirical remakes of 21 Jump Street, Starsky and Hutch, Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPs, etc. At least those still represented the shows they were using the IPs for. This one just looks like they used the main character's name, truck, and occupation and nothing else. It is not The Fall Guy at all. Just a waste of the IP, IMHO.

Reminds me of the Point Break remake which really had nothing at all to do with the original movie - other than character names and a couple of scenes. Should have just ditched trying to connect it to the original and, you know, made it an original film.
Point Break is a different animal. I just don't consider this IP untouchable. Especially, IP's reaching 50 to 60 years old. New generations have no connection to those IP's at all. Just like Star Trek proved, you can't depend on fans from the 60's to sustain IP's franchises. If you don't branch out and move on? They will die on the vine. Now that doesn't mean I don't want them to completely trash them but reimagining for things that old is not necessarily bad either. It wasn't that long ago I remember going to Star Trek conventions that were completely dead. I used to go to them with my Uncle yearly and they were completely dead until they rebooted the movies/franchises.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point Break is a different animal. I just don't consider this IP untouchable. Especially, IP's reaching 50 to 60 years old. New generations have no connection to those IP's at all. Just like Star Trek proved, you can't depend on fans from the 60's to sustain IP's franchises. If you don't branch out and move on? They will die on the vine. Now that doesn't mean I don't want them to completely trash them but reimagining for things that old is not necessarily bad either. It wasn't that long ago I remember going to Star Trek conventions that were completely dead. I used to go to them with my Uncle yearly and they were completely dead until they rebooted the movies/franchises.
Right, but they kept the framework of what Star Trek was/is when they remade the films or even branched out into other TV shows.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right, but they kept the framework of what Star Trek was/is when they remade the films or even branched out into other TV shows.
I remember people didn't feel that way when DS9 broke the starship rules. Despite people complaining about Discovery etc., the reboot of the movies, it's created a massive fan following of younger generations. Fall Guy was about a Stuntman that did bounty hunter work. If this lays a similar foundation but maybe more of a parody I am OK with it. I was fine with 21 Jump streets more comedic take. I didn't think it trashed the original 21 Jumpstreet a bit. It did it's own thing. This movie might be total trash but I don't think making it more comedic automatically makes it wrong.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You're right, new audiences don't have a connection to those old IPs. Then why use the IP at all? If it's not going to be name recognition as far as the IP is concerned, why bother pigeon-holing it to older audiences?

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, new audiences don't have a connection to those old IPs. Then why use the IP at all? If it's not going to be name recognition as far as the IP is concerned, why bother pigeon-holing it to older audiences?
Just because it's an old IP doesn't mean it's not a solid idea. Besides, hasn't Hollywood established that originality is not exactly embraced in spades?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just because it's an old IP doesn't mean it's not a solid idea. Besides, hasn't Hollywood established that originality is not exactly embraced in spades?
By your logic, there is no reason to even use the Fall Guy IP in the first place, to which I agree. Now you have older generations slamming the movie simply because of that.

Obviously the main audience they care about is the younger one that has no idea what the Fall Guy was. So why bother using the IP and just let it stand alone on its own merits?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By your logic, there is no reason to even use the Fall Guy IP in the first place, to which I agree. Now you have older generations slamming the movie simply because of that.

Obviously the main audience they care about is the younger one that has no idea what the Fall Guy was. So why bother using the IP and just let it stand alone on its own merits?
Great points.

10 years ago, The Rock and McG were tied to this and it likely would have been a more direct adaptation.

By the looks of this "reimagining" it could have and should have just been an original movie.

For the most part, IPs are used to bring in an established audience that already cares about the characters and their story as well as to introduce an older property to a younger audience in hopes it catches on with them, too. It doesn't always work out well for those who loved the original show or film. For example, my dad and his wife have not watched any of the Mission: Impossible films beyond the first one. Why? Because of the way the character Jim Phelps was portrayed (by Jon Voight) as a traitor and then killed off so Tom Cruise's Ethan Hunt could be the main focus of an ongoing franchise. Both of them had watched the original TV series where Peter Graves portrayed Phelps as the leader of IMF and the main protagonist (for all but the first season). There had even been a revival series from 1988-1990 where Graves had reprised his role as Phelps - not too long before the 1996 film version. I know others who didn't like this as well and they've repeatedly said - "Why not have Phelps retire in the beginning and hand IMF over to someone else and THAT person becomes the traitor?" So, for people who loved the original M:I TV series and the established character of Jim Phelps, I can see how the movie ruined that for them.

This IP (The Fall Guy) has been handed off from director to director for many years now. It's unfortunate that this finished product appears to be so different from the original series, IMHO. Anyone that did watch and love the original will likely walk out saying it was a decent film, but really wasn't The Fall Guy from the 80s at all. Just makes no sense. If you're not truly going to use the IP just skip it and make something original otherwise there will be people comparing your work to the original...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it’s because they want to try and reach the broadest audience as possible. The title can draw in some of the olds and fresh faces draws in the newbs.

It’s a tried, yet not necessarily true formula, that the studios keep doing anyway.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it’s because they want to try and reach the broadest audience as possible. The title can draw in some of the olds and fresh faces draws in the newbs.

It’s a tried, yet not necessarily true formula, that the studios keep doing anyway.
I don't disagree, however most of the olds are slamming the movie anyway.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is exactly why it's done.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard