Assessing The Cardinals Path To The Draft

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
When I read the pundits' so-so off-season grades and "just another guy" determinations of the Cardinals' roster, I try to shrug it off, but I feel as if the Cardinals are not getting anywhere near the credit they deserve for what they have accomplished over the past few months.

To me what the Cardinals have accomplished is brilliant.

Bruce Arians is a breath of fresh air. He's quirky and outgoing...and some people don't know how to feel about that. He talks his players up...some of the very same players, like Levi Brown, who have received incessant scrutiny and disapproval from reporters and fans. But...what makes Arians so appealing is that he has a definite plan, he knows very specifically what he wants (there are no gray areas there---he is one QB coach, he doesn't use FBs or spread options or RBs in pass routes, and he wants to set up 6-7 deep shots a game by running a steady diet of quick three step passes in order to inch the safeties and CBs up...)...and yet his most compelling attribute is his ability to look players in the eyes and convince them of how good they can be as Arizona Cardinals under his and his remarkable staff's supervision and teaching.

When free agents meet with BA and Steve Keim, they want to sign.

Not only that---the enthusiasm that BA and Steve Keim generate has the players all fired up, and it's only April.

Best of all, the eye isn't just on being good---the eye is on the prize: a ring.

It's what every coach, GM and player strives for---it's just that some talk the talk and the real winners walk the walk.

BA can talk the talk with the best of them---cynics will say he's a slick used car dealer.

But---what the cynics fail to realize is the reason why BA is so confident when he talks the talk. It's a simple as this: the proof is in the way in which we will coach, teach and prepare this football team. No one will work harder or more fastidiously at it. No one.

BA, Steve Keim and the signings and trades:

First of all, what is so impressive about BA is that for a first year HC who is an offensive guru by trade, he has gone out of his way to fortify the Cardinals' defense and special teams.

BA truly believes that his DC, Todd Bowles, will be a head coach one day, and BA wants to do all that he can to feather Bowles' nest.

He and Steve Keim made the tough decisions to let popular players go either because they were not playing up to their high standards or they were commanding too much in the way of salary.

You will be amazed at the results.

When I was appointed English department chair three years ago, I found myself in a very similar situation. I had three veteran teachers who had been doing their own thing---they were not teaching the curriculum like the rest of us were, and they were grossly overpaid. As a result, the morale in my department amongst the good soldiers was understandably poor. We clearly were not a united team. There was a great deal of dissent.

It was tough to do---but, with the help, encouragement and support of my administration we managed to push the three teachers out the door and replace them with three able, good and team-oriented teachers.

Since then, not only has the morale in the department been as high as it ever has been, and the teamwork in teaching the curriculum as united as it ever has been, our students' test scores have shown dramatic improvement to the point where half the senior class now scored "advanced" on the MCAS (State wide test) and the senior class' SAT scores jumped 30 points higher on average. I've never seen anything like that. You hope for a 3-4 point improvement on average...but 30 points?

Consistency, teamwork and a united morale does wonders.

While I won't take you through each one of the free agent signings to explain the rationale---because I think that by now you see the rationale...let me instead take you through BA's first UFA signing of LB/ST ace Lorenzo Alexander and what it means to the plan and to the equation. Take a look at this recent article in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...f5a396-a3ad-11e2-82bc-511538ae90a4_story.html

When you are trying to build a winner---you want to sign players like this.

That was BA's and SK's first step.

Then adding as many solid players as they have at very reasonable salaries---and even orchestrating the first major BA SK trade, the Carson Palmer trade, and not even losing a draft pick (swapping a 6th with a 7th)---and then re-signing Palmer to a very reasonable contract that made both Palmer and the Cardinals happy---

Best of all, no sooner was Palmer acquired than he was out training with his new teammates---he went on the job immediately, the same way BA himself did.

No one would have complained if Palmer said he needed a few days to collect his things and get organized for a move---but Palmer was genuinely too excited and already too invested in his new team to do that.

I think of what Rashard Mendenhall said about his visit to Arizona and how he and the cadre of UFA invitees to the Cardinals' headquarters that day were already bonding...and I think to myself, when have we ever heard something like that before?

Then to hear that BA advised RM that if he was going to get on a plane to Denver, then the offer was off the table---and how he said to CB Jerraud Powers, "you're not going to San Diego"...etc., etc.

And when a rare one got away in MLB Rey Maualuga---Jasper Brinkley was on the next flight to Arizona.

BA and SK know how to plan---and, better yet, they know how to close the deal. Not only with the players, but with their agents.

The stream of communication all the way around is superb.

What it does is---it establishes relationships built on trust.

It says a lot that Ben Roethlisberger, for example, was emphatically opposed to the Steelers' intention to put their offense in someone else's hands. Roesthlisberger still rues that decision, perhaps now more than ever.

This is what BA engenders---he engenders belief and trust.

The Path to The #7 Pick:

I have a feeling that BA, SK and the staff already knows exactly what they plan to do with the #7 pick.

Yes, they are doing their due diligence by continuing to bring players in---but, all the scenarios have been discussed and the Cardinals' board is pretty much set.

With as much as what BA and SK have done to bolster the talent and depth on defense, one would think it is now time for them to do the same for the offense.

Yet, BA is still talking about his defensive wants in this draft: an edge pass rusher, a safety and a big NT/DT type.

At #7 it would appear that BA and SK are willing to draft a pass rusher at that spot---which is why Dion Jordan, Ziggy Ansah and Jarvis Jones have been closely evaluated.

BA has stated that he doesn't think the offensive line is as much in dire straits as people think---but, there's no question that 5 offensive linemen (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Warmack and Cooper) are very much in the Cardinals' thoughts at #7. The BPA philosophy applies here in this draft, for even Michael Bidwill has proclaimed the Cardinals will no longer reach in the first round.

The conundrum is that BA & SK are high on LT Levi Brown and RT Bobby Massie---thus, drafting a tackle at #7 would mean drafting at a position they already feel comfortable with. It likely would mean Levi Brown moving to RT and Bobby Massie moving to RG---where it is anyone's guess as to whether Massie will be a fit there. One of Massie biggest challenges last year was adapting mentally to the system and to the fundamentals of the position. It took his 8 games to feel accustomed to his assignments. One might imagine it would be like starting all over again for him if he were switched to guard.

However, when you look at the tape of the one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl, you cannot help but fall in love with Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson. Fisher is a model of consistency---a rock at LT. Johnson is so athletic that if he gets beat for a nano-second he has the ability to slide, recover and re-sink his hips. When you watch this tape---it would be pretty difficult not to be excited about taking Fisher or Johnson with the #7 pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpjCaXaPm1A&feature=player_detailpage

Part two of the conundrum is whether to draft a guard at #7.

Chance Warmack is a stud. Some say he's the best player in the draft. Is he deserving of the #7 pick? In this particular draft, the answer is an emphatic yes, because of the uncertainty of the QBs and the medical flags on a few of the other top prospects.

Jonathan Cooper is the Lane Johnson of the guards. He's light on his feet and is quick and fast.

Having watched tape of Warmack and Cooper side by side on a couple of occasions---to me, Warmack is the superior player, and not by just a little. Warmack is going to be a physical presence from the get-go and might even possibly be able to hold up well versus Justin Smith. Cooper is going to have a hard time anchoring versus bull rushing DTs---that's the area Cooper needs to improve most.

If the Cardinals have Cooper rated high on their board, it would make sense to trade down. It wouldn't be totally surprising to see Cooper still on the board late in the first and possibly early in the second. Teams just don't want to pick guards and centers in the first round.

When you look at the Senior Bowl tape, some of the other offensive linemen had very good showings: G/T Dan Quessenberry, G Hugh Thornton, C Brian Schwenke, G Brian Winters and G/T Ricky Wagner.

Mike Mayock keeps projecting Quessenberry to guard, but watching him at tackle not only in the Senior Bowl one-on-ones, but in his games at San Jose St., he is very very good. He's got excellent feet, a good strong base and very good balance and poise. Then when he did the guard drills and played guard in the game, he looked very strong there too.

I don't know if BA and SK feel this way, but Quessenberry, because of his versatility would seem like the ideal OL pick for the Cardinals. He might even turn out to be the answer at center.

Because he is a guard prospect I think the Cardinals could feel assured of being able to take him in the early third round at #69. But, imo, he will be well off the board at #103. The Packers are very high on him, for one.

The one wild card at #7 is the wild card of this draft: Tavon Austin.

In past years Austin would not be a top 10 consideration---because he's 5-8 1/2, 174 pounds.

But---when you consider how the game is evolving---how today teams want speedy RB types to play slot WR so that they can try to get that speed into the open for chunk yards and electrifying TDs---Tavon Austin fits the mold to a tee. He is a RB who can thrive in the slot. You have to account for him on every play. You cannot let him wind up with the ball in space.

Speedy RBs are becoming a thing of the past---because they can't take the pounding. This is why BA likes a banger at RB and his speed to be at WR.

We saw what it was like having LSH at RB last year. You cringe just watching him try to run between the tackles. Bless the man because he scraped for every inch---but there is no way LSH can carry the ball inside the tackles 15 times a game and hold up physically.

So how could Tavon Austin hold up physically at slot WR? Because once he gets two steps into a pattern he leaves the linemen in the dust and when he catches the ball, he has such amazing vision and body control that he knows howe to avoid hard contact. He's like a Houdini. He will duck out of bounds just at the precise second he needs to and he will slip under hard charging tacklers before they can zero in on him, that is if he doesn't break their ankles with a stutter step at full 4.3 speed.

Many of you are laughing at the whole bubble screen importance---but, to tell you the truth, the bubble screens and hitch screens in BA's offense is the very reason why he is able to slip WRs behind coverage deep---the threat of the bubble screen brings the CBs and safeties up. It's that simple.

But, at slot WR you have to have a legitimate threat---you cannot have "just another guy."

BA knows this, so it will be interesting to see how he addresses this position. We know he wants to sign Josh Cribbs for this role---but Cribbs is still rehabbing a knee and remains un-signed.

Marcus Wheaton is a speedy slot WR the Cardinals have been showing interest in.

But, if you are BA, who has thrived with small, speedy WRs from Antwan Randle El to Mike Wallace to T.Y. Hilton, when you look at Tavon Austin your mind goes numb with all the possibilities. In BA's offense Austin would have an outstanding shot at Rookie of the Year. He would be a dream come true for a QB like Carson Palmer who thrives on getting the ball out quickly.

So what the #7 pick come down to is one of these players:

T Luke Joeckel
T Luke Fisher
T Lane Johnson
G Chance Warmack
OLB Dion Jordan
OLB Ziggy Ansah
OLB Jarvis Jones

...with WR/RB/KR Tavon Austin as a possible wild card.

What about the QBs?

BA has said that he wouldn't sit a first round QB. It's as simple as that.

Why are the Cardinals showing so much interest in Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib?

Two reasons: for possible leverage to be able to trade down; and to be prepared if the QBs slide into the second round---which may happen, but history and need suggest it won't happen.

My gut feeling is that the #7 pick will be Jarvis Jones---because of the offensive line depth in the draft.

But, the pick that would excite me most is you know who. I think he helps to bring the swag and big-play ability back to the offense that has been missing for the last three years.

Would I be happy with Lane Johnson?

Yes...and would be giddy actually if the plan was to move Levi Brown to guard, where I think he would thrive.

Chance Warmack?

Very happy. It's like ordering a Rib Eye with mashed potatoes.

Dion Jordan?

What worries me is whether he will hold up physically, having such a slight frame. Plus, his lack of production at Oregon.

Ziggy Ansah?

With Tom Pratt in his ear, the sky is the limit. But, I don't think he gets past #5.

Eric Fisher?

Love him. Best of the three, imo. But, I think the Chiefs tab him at #1.

Luke Joeckel?

Doesn't excite me as much as Fisher or Johnson----he's not as mean, but is every bit as talented.

Barkevious Mingo?

Talent-wise, wow. Head-wise, no.

Bjeorn Werner?

As a 43 DE yes. As a 34SOLB, I wonder.

Dee Milliner?

I think Antoine Cason is going to have a very good year and the team will re-sign him to a long-term deal, possibly as early as December.

Kenny Vacarro?

Not at #7, but otherwise yes, although the most talented safety in this draft might be Eric Reid, LSU.

Star Lotulelei?

Not at #7, but otherwise yes. If he were a better pass rusher, for sure.

Any other wild cards?

DT/DE Sheldon Richardson, Missouri---man, to me he's the most talented interior defensive lineman in the draft. Quickest penetrator and quickest finisher. Would thrive in Darnell Dockett's role.

DT Sylvester Williams, UNC---DTs this quick and strong are hard to come by. A three down player.

DE Datone Jones, UCLA---reminds me a lot of Aldon Smith. Cat-quick through openings. Has same length (6-4 1/2) as Smith, only is 15 pounds stronger. Played much inside at UCLA the way Smith did at Mizzou. If we took him, we put him on the edge and let him rush.

TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame---I would have no problem trading down and taking him. He's exceptional. Puts great pressure on the safeties. Improved quite a bit as a blocker.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, you outdid yourself. Basing my opinion on the FB axiom, that your most valuable non-QB players are LT's and pass rushers. So I can't argue with your guess that JARVIS JONES will be the pick, but his 40 time and injury/illness (??) scares me so that is why I'd go with LANE JOHNSON at #7. Your take that we have two good OT's, Brown and Massie, but even at my age I remember, last year, when Levi got hurt, so at such an important position you have to protect yourself. It's also true that if we do go PR in the 1st round it's a deep draft for OL-men and we should be able to get a good one in the second or third round. But I want to be able to read that the Cardinals have finally addressed their OL in the first round. And Mitch, thanks.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, you outdid yourself. Basing my opinion on the FB axiom, that your most valuable non-QB players are LT's and pass rushers. So I can't argue with your guess that JARVIS JONES will be the pick, but his 40 time and injury/illness (??) scares me so that is why I'd go with LANE JOHNSON at #7. Your take that we have two good OT's, Brown and Massie, but even at my age I remember, last year, when Levi got hurt, so at such an important position you have to protect yourself. It's also true that if we do go PR in the 1st round it's a deep draft for OL-men and we should be able to get a good one in the second or third round. But I want to be able to read that the Cardinals have finally addressed their OL in the first round. And Mitch, thanks.

The more I watch of Lane Johnson the more I like him---I just don't know if he's ready to start at LT this year from day one. I think he can---but I also think he likely needs some time.

I guess I am in the minority, but I actually saw some excellent potential in Nate Potter---very similar to the potential I see in Johnson.

With Eric Fisher, I trust that he can start right away---but he's going to be taken early.

The #7 pick should be an immediate starter. That's the problem.

Jarvis Jones is not only ready to start, he is ready to compete for NFL defensive Rookie of the Year. Forget the 40 time Garth, you've seen how quick and fast he is on the field. He's a high adrenaline player---which is why running a 40 on a spring day is insignificant---look at T-Suggs, in Jones you get a similar player.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
When I read the pundits' so-so off-season grades and "just another guy" determinations of the Cardinals' roster, I try to shrug it off, but I feel as if the Cardinals are not getting anywhere near the credit they deserve for what they have accomplished over the past few months.

To me what the Cardinals have accomplished is brilliant.

Bruce Arians is a breath of fresh air. He's quirky and outgoing...and some people don't know how to feel about that. He talks his players up...some of the very same players, like Levi Brown, who have received incessant scrutiny and disapproval from reporters and fans. But...what makes Arians so appealing is that he has a definite plan, he knows very specifically what he wants (there are no gray areas there---he is one QB coach, he doesn't use FBs or spread options or RBs in pass routes, and he wants to set up 6-7 deep shots a game by running a steady diet of quick three step passes in order to inch the safeties and CBs up...)...and yet his most compelling attribute is his ability to look players in the eyes and convince them of how good they can be as Arizona Cardinals under his and his remarkable staff's supervision and teaching.

When free agents meet with BA and Steve Keim, they want to sign.

Not only that---the enthusiasm that BA and Steve Keim generate has the players all fired up, and it's only April.

Best of all, the eye isn't just on being good---the eye is on the prize: a ring.

It's what every coach, GM and player strives for---it's just that some talk the talk and the real winners walk the walk.

BA can talk the talk with the best of them---cynics will say he's a slick used car dealer.

But---what the cynics fail to realize is the reason why BA is so confident when he talks the talk. It's a simple as this: the proof is in the way in which we will coach, teach and prepare this football team. No one will work harder or more fastidiously at it. No one.

BA, Steve Keim and the signings and trades:

First of all, what is so impressive about BA is that for a first year HC who is an offensive guru by trade, he has gone out of his way to fortify the Cardinals' defense and special teams.

BA truly believes that his DC, Todd Bowles, will be a head coach one day, and BA wants to do all that he can to feather Bowles' nest.

He and Steve Keim made the tough decisions to let popular players go either because they were not playing up to their high standards or they were commanding too much in the way of salary.

You will be amazed at the results.

When I was appointed English department chair three years ago, I found myself in a very similar situation. I had three veteran teachers who had been doing their own thing---they were not teaching the curriculum like the rest of us were, and they were grossly overpaid. As a result, the morale in my department amongst the good soldiers was understandably poor. We clearly were not a united team. There was a great deal of dissent.

It was tough to do---but, with the help, encouragement and support of my administration we managed to push the three teachers out the door and replace them with three able, good and team-oriented teachers.

Since then, not only has the morale in the department been as high as it ever has been, and the teamwork in teaching the curriculum as united as it ever has been, our students' test scores have shown dramatic improvement to the point where half the senior class now scored "advanced" on the MCAS (State wide test) and the senior class' SAT scores jumped 30 points higher on average. I've never seen anything like that. You hope for a 3-4 point improvement on average...but 30 points?

Consistency, teamwork and a united morale does wonders.

While I won't take you through each one of the free agent signings to explain the rationale---because I think that by now you see the rationale...let me instead take you through BA's first UFA signing of LB/ST ace Lorenzo Alexander and what it means to the plan and to the equation. Take a look at this recent article in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...f5a396-a3ad-11e2-82bc-511538ae90a4_story.html

When you are trying to build a winner---you want to sign players like this.

That was BA's and SK's first step.

Then adding as many solid players as they have at very reasonable salaries---and even orchestrating the first major BA SK trade, the Carson Palmer trade, and not even losing a draft pick (swapping a 6th with a 7th)---and then re-signing Palmer to a very reasonable contract that made both Palmer and the Cardinals happy---

Best of all, no sooner was Palmer acquired than he was out training with his new teammates---he went on the job immediately, the same way BA himself did.

No one would have complained if Palmer said he needed a few days to collect his things and get organized for a move---but Palmer was genuinely too excited and already too invested in his new team to do that.

I think of what Rashard Mendenhall said about his visit to Arizona and how he and the cadre of UFA invitees to the Cardinals' headquarters that day were already bonding...and I think to myself, when have we ever heard something like that before?

Then to hear that BA advised RM that if he was going to get on a plane to Denver, then the offer was off the table---and how he said to CB Jerraud Powers, "you're not going to San Diego"...etc., etc.

And when a rare one got away in MLB Rey Maualuga---Jasper Brinkley was on the next flight to Arizona.

BA and SK know how to plan---and, better yet, they know how to close the deal. Not only with the players, but with their agents.

The stream of communication all the way around is superb.

What it does is---it establishes relationships built on trust.

It says a lot that Ben Roethlisberger, for example, was emphatically opposed to the Steelers' intention to put their offense in someone else's hands. Roesthlisberger still rues that decision, perhaps now more than ever.

This is what BA engenders---he engenders belief and trust.

The Path to The #7 Pick:

I have a feeling that BA, SK and the staff already knows exactly what they plan to do with the #7 pick.

Yes, they are doing their due diligence by continuing to bring players in---but, all the scenarios have been discussed and the Cardinals' board is pretty much set.

With as much as what BA and SK have done to bolster the talent and depth on defense, one would think it is now time for them to do the same for the offense.

Yet, BA is still talking about his defensive wants in this draft: an edge pass rusher, a safety and a big NT/DT type.

At #7 it would appear that BA and SK are willing to draft a pass rusher at that spot---which is why Dion Jordan, Ziggy Ansah and Jarvis Jones have been closely evaluated.

BA has stated that he doesn't think the offensive line is as much in dire straits as people think---but, there's no question that 5 offensive linemen (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, Warmack and Cooper) are very much in the Cardinals' thoughts at #7. The BPA philosophy applies here in this draft, for even Michael Bidwill has proclaimed the Cardinals will no longer reach in the first round.

The conundrum is that BA & SK are high on LT Levi Brown and RT Bobby Massie---thus, drafting a tackle at #7 would mean drafting at a position they already feel comfortable with. It likely would mean Levi Brown moving to RT and Bobby Massie moving to RG---where it is anyone's guess as to whether Massie will be a fit there. One of Massie biggest challenges last year was adapting mentally to the system and to the fundamentals of the position. It took his 8 games to feel accustomed to his assignments. One might imagine it would be like starting all over again for him if he were switched to guard.

However, when you look at the tape of the one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl, you cannot help but fall in love with Eric Fisher and Lane Johnson. Fisher is a model of consistency---a rock at LT. Johnson is so athletic that if he gets beat for a nano-second he has the ability to slide, recover and re-sink his hips. When you watch this tape---it would be pretty difficult not to be excited about taking Fisher or Johnson with the #7 pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpjCaXaPm1A&feature=player_detailpage

Part two of the conundrum is whether to draft a guard at #7.

Chance Warmack is a stud. Some say he's the best player in the draft. Is he deserving of the #7 pick? In this particular draft, the answer is an emphatic yes, because of the uncertainty of the QBs and the medical flags on a few of the other top prospects.

Jonathan Cooper is the Lane Johnson of the guards. He's light on his feet and is quick and fast.

Having watched tape of Warmack and Cooper side by side on a couple of occasions---to me, Warmack is the superior player, and not by just a little. Warmack is going to be a physical presence from the get-go and might even possibly be able to hold up well versus Justin Smith. Cooper is going to have a hard time anchoring versus bull rushing DTs---that's the area Cooper needs to improve most.

If the Cardinals have Cooper rated high on their board, it would make sense to trade down. It wouldn't be totally surprising to see Cooper still on the board late in the first and possibly early in the second. Teams just don't want to pick guards and centers in the first round.

When you look at the Senior Bowl tape, some of the other offensive linemen had very good showings: G/T Dan Quessenberry, G Hugh Thornton, C Brian Schwenke, G Brian Winters and G/T Ricky Wagner.

Mike Mayock keeps projecting Quessenberry to guard, but watching him at tackle not only in the Senior Bowl one-on-ones, but in his games at San Jose St., he is very very good. He's got excellent feet, a good strong base and very good balance and poise. Then when he did the guard drills and played guard in the game, he looked very strong there too.

I don't know if BA and SK feel this way, but Quessenberry, because of his versatility would seem like the ideal OL pick for the Cardinals. He might even turn out to be the answer at center.

Because he is a guard prospect I think the Cardinals could feel assured of being able to take him in the early third round at #69. But, imo, he will be well off the board at #103. The Packers are very high on him, for one.

The one wild card at #7 is the wild card of this draft: Tavon Austin.

In past years Austin would not be a top 10 consideration---because he's 5-8 1/2, 174 pounds.

But---when you consider how the game is evolving---how today teams want speedy RB types to play slot WR so that they can try to get that speed into the open for chunk yards and electrifying TDs---Tavon Austin fits the mold to a tee. He is a RB who can thrive in the slot. You have to account for him on every play. You cannot let him wind up with the ball in space.

Speedy RBs are becoming a thing of the past---because they can't take the pounding. This is why BA likes a banger at RB and his speed to be at WR.

We saw what it was like having LSH at RB last year. You cringe just watching him try to run between the tackles. Bless the man because he scraped for every inch---but there is no way LSH can carry the ball inside the tackles 15 times a game and hold up physically.

So how could Tavon Austin hold up physically at slot WR? Because once he gets two steps into a pattern he leaves the linemen in the dust and when he catches the ball, he has such amazing vision and body control that he knows howe to avoid hard contact. He's like a Houdini. He will duck out of bounds just at the precise second he needs to and he will slip under hard charging tacklers before they can zero in on him, that is if he doesn't break their ankles with a stutter step at full 4.3 speed.

Many of you are laughing at the whole bubble screen importance---but, to tell you the truth, the bubble screens and hitch screens in BA's offense is the very reason why he is able to slip WRs behind coverage deep---the threat of the bubble screen brings the CBs and safeties up. It's that simple.

But, at slot WR you have to have a legitimate threat---you cannot have "just another guy."

BA knows this, so it will be interesting to see how he addresses this position. We know he wants to sign Josh Cribbs for this role---but Cribbs is still rehabbing a knee and remains un-signed.

Marcus Wheaton is a speedy slot WR the Cardinals have been showing interest in.

But, if you are BA, who has thrived with small, speedy WRs from Antwan Randle El to Mike Wallace to T.Y. Hilton, when you look at Tavon Austin your mind goes numb with all the possibilities. In BA's offense Austin would have an outstanding shot at Rookie of the Year. He would be a dream come true for a QB like Carson Palmer who thrives on getting the ball out quickly.

So what the #7 pick come down to is one of these players:

T Luke Joeckel
T Luke Fisher
T Lane Johnson
G Chance Warmack
OLB Dion Jordan
OLB Ziggy Ansah
OLB Jarvis Jones

...with WR/RB/KR Tavon Austin as a possible wild card.

What about the QBs?

BA has said that he wouldn't sit a first round QB. It's as simple as that.

Why are the Cardinals showing so much interest in Geno Smith, Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib?

Two reasons: for possible leverage to be able to trade down; and to be prepared if the QBs slide into the second round---which may happen, but history and need suggest it won't happen.

My gut feeling is that the #7 pick will be Jarvis Jones---because of the offensive line depth in the draft.

But, the pick that would excite me most is you know who. I think he helps to bring the swag and big-play ability back to the offense that has been missing for the last three years.

Would I be happy with Lane Johnson?

Yes...and would be giddy actually if the plan was to move Levi Brown to guard, where I think he would thrive.

Chance Warmack?

Very happy. It's like ordering a Rib Eye with mashed potatoes.

Dion Jordan?

What worries me is whether he will hold up physically, having such a slight frame. Plus, his lack of production at Oregon.

Ziggy Ansah?

With Tom Pratt in his ear, the sky is the limit. But, I don't think he gets past #5.

Eric Fisher?

Love him. Best of the three, imo. But, I think the Chiefs tab him at #1.

Luke Joeckel?

Doesn't excite me as much as Fisher or Johnson----he's not as mean, but is every bit as talented.

Barkevious Mingo?

Talent-wise, wow. Head-wise, no.

Bjeorn Werner?

As a 43 DE yes. As a 34SOLB, I wonder.

Dee Milliner?

I think Antoine Cason is going to have a very good year and the team will re-sign him to a long-term deal, possibly as early as December.

Kenny Vacarro?

Not at #7, but otherwise yes, although the most talented safety in this draft might be Eric Reid, LSU.

Star Lotulelei?

Not at #7, but otherwise yes. If he were a better pass rusher, for sure.

Any other wild cards?

DT/DE Sheldon Richardson, Missouri---man, to me he's the most talented interior defensive lineman in the draft. Quickest penetrator and quickest finisher. Would thrive in Darnell Dockett's role.

DT Sylvester Williams, UNC---DTs this quick and strong are hard to come by. A three down player.

DE Datone Jones, UCLA---reminds me a lot of Aldon Smith. Cat-quick through openings. Has same length (6-4 1/2) as Smith, only is 15 pounds stronger. Played much inside at UCLA the way Smith did at Mizzou. If we took him, we put him on the edge and let him rush.

TE Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame---I would have no problem trading down and taking him. He's exceptional. Puts great pressure on the safeties. Improved quite a bit as a blocker.

I was listening to a former all pro player on TV the other day who is/was a FA. The moderator asked him what was the most important thing he considered when signing with a new team. He said without a doubt it was the new team having a good QB as this guy would decide 50% of where you finished. If a team does not have a good QB then forget them. Having heard that which I agree with we seem to be ignoring the QB position for the future. Draft one of these guys no later than round 3. Who ever they think is the best then draft him. If the QB is going to be 50% of your total offense you better gamble and get one. You are not going to get one by sitting on your duff. The QB remain our number one need. We can only hope Palmer is a short term solution. I think he is 33. I find it hard to believe that we do not have more post on this position. Yes we need a great DT but we need someone for him to protect even more. It just might be that Tyler Wilson might be there late in round 2 or in round 3. If so thn grab him. In 2-3 years you might have a franchise QB. By all means do not go the route and not draft your most needed position player. Right now our future for this year rest on the shoulders of Palmer. Due to the strong division we are in we are going to win 5-7 games. At least have a young QB on the sideline for the next few years who might be a solution. 2-3 years from now it will not be Palmer. He may play well this year but we still will likely win on 5-7 games. I am happy with our staff but they have to have the players and in particular a QB.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The more I watch of Lane Johnson the more I like him---I just don't know if he's ready to start at LT this year from day one. I think he can---but I also think he likely needs some time.

I guess I am in the minority, but I actually saw some excellent potential in Nate Potter---very similar to the potential I see in Johnson.

With Eric Fisher, I trust that he can start right away---but he's going to be taken early.

The #7 pick should be an immediate starter. That's the problem.

Jarvis Jones is not only ready to start, he is ready to compete for NFL defensive Rookie of the Year. Forget the 40 time Garth, you've seen how quick and fast he is on the field. He's a high adrenaline player---which is why running a 40 on a spring day is insignificant---look at T-Suggs, in Jones you get a similar player.

I agree with your assessment of Jarvis Jones. He is a great player who plays fast and that is all that matters.

The one concern I have with Lane Johnson is that some scouts see him as a guy like Robert Gallery who likes to dip his head and bend at the waist more than most. Joekel and Fischer are masters at dropping the hips.

I think Mingo will end up being a beast at the pro level. Not sure where all the talk is about his head not being in the game. Everything I have read is that he is a top notch kid.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i appreciate fine writing. i will now crawl back into my hole since the 1:37 mark of fourth quarter.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go Mitch. This is a very astute assessment of our path to this 2013 draft. BA/Keim are poised and ready for whatever happens. Make no mistake that what the first 6 teams do, will decide what the Cardinals do in this draft.

I love how they have poised themselves to take advantage of this draft. In my case, I made the assumption that the top tackles and the top pass rushers were gone. I chose to take the safe bet, Chance Warmack, who incidentally provides a huge dose of nasty right into the middle of our OL. He will be there for years, and will finally give us the 'chance', (no pun intended), to halt the push from the big nasty DT's and Nose Tackles. We should finally have the protective spot for Palmer to step up into when the edge rush comes.

I then chose to go Safety with the next two picks, as we depleted our secondary so badly with the cap moves, and because this draft is set up to exploit that position very well this year. After that, everything else seemed to fall into place in order, (TE, RB, OLB, WR). I tried to get as much bang for our buck as I could with each position.

It can be argued that taking Eric Martin at #174 is simply wasting a pick on OLB, but this kid can already play that position, even though he is extremely raw, and has only one year under his belt. He needs the refinement that he will get from our staff, and I am positive that he will apply it vehemently. He is a work-out rat and a study freak, and works tirelessly to get better. He is a true self-starter with a non-stop motor.

My draft mock only cover's one scenario. BA/Keim are set to exploit a number of scenarios. I am stoked to see what will happen.

AS you have so remarkably pointed out, BA/Keim have a plan, and they are poised to execute it. They have brilliantly positioned themselves to take advantage of this draft, and I am thrilled at the prospect of watching that unfold in the next ten days or so. It's almost like those two have been joined at the hip, and each already knows the other's thoughts.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I was listening to a former all pro player on TV the other day who is/was a FA. The moderator asked him what was the most important thing he considered when signing with a new team. He said without a doubt it was the new team having a good QB as this guy would decide 50% of where you finished. If a team does not have a good QB then forget them. Having heard that which I agree with we seem to be ignoring the QB position for the future. Draft one of these guys no later than round 3. Who ever they think is the best then draft him. If the QB is going to be 50% of your total offense you better gamble and get one. You are not going to get one by sitting on your duff. The QB remain our number one need. We can only hope Palmer is a short term solution. I think he is 33. I find it hard to believe that we do not have more post on this position. Yes we need a great DT but we need someone for him to protect even more. It just might be that Tyler Wilson might be there late in round 2 or in round 3. If so thn grab him. In 2-3 years you might have a franchise QB. By all means do not go the route and not draft your most needed position player. Right now our future for this year rest on the shoulders of Palmer. Due to the strong division we are in we are going to win 5-7 games. At least have a young QB on the sideline for the next few years who might be a solution. 2-3 years from now it will not be Palmer. He may play well this year but we still will likely win on 5-7 games. I am happy with our staff but they have to have the players and in particular a QB.

The good news is---we signed a bunch of UFAs even before Carson palmer was added---and now other UFAs who seek teams with established QBs would be more inclined to sign with Arizona.

The problem about drafting a QB this year is...finding a QB in this draft that you can safely say is a franchise QB. Doesn't next year's draft look more promising for picking a QBOF?

Now, I know you are high Tyler Wilson and there's much to like about him---

Is Wilson the right fit for BA's offense? Isn't he a better fit in a West Coast offense? But, there's much to like about his grit and his leadership skills, both of which are attractive in any system, save the spread option, that is, for Wilson.

The question becomes are the Cardinals better off taking a player at #38 who can step in and start immediately, or draft a QB who likely won't play for the next two years?

If you were to take a QB in this draft it actually would be better to trade back up into the first round because 1st rounders' rights are controlled by the team for 5 years, not 4.

When you draft QBs in the first round these days---you start them. Teams are getting to the playoffs with rookie QBs, so it is even possible to win with the rookie QB.

It looks as if the Cardinals have an option for a third year in the Carson Palmer deal or at least could work things out for a third year...and the Cardinals have Drew Stanton signed for three years.

Thus, the immediate need to draft a QB, even for another year beyond this one, isn't pressing.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way to go Mitch. This is a very astute assessment of our path to this 2013 draft. BA/Keim are poised and ready for whatever happens. Make no mistake that what the first 6 teams do, will decide what the Cardinals do in this draft.

and what the first 7 teams do will determine what the team with the 8th pick does in the draft, that's how it works.

I like Arians so far and I like Keim so I see no reason to expect a bad pick, but I don't think they've done anything that most NFL teams don't do setting themselves up for a high pick.

I think we cut a little too much off the defense and I expect that will result in a step back defensively. I think we should be better offensively with Palmer and hopefully better OL play.

Would be great to get an impact player in the draft at this point I'm not sure who that's going to be all the mock drafts have my head spinning.

All I know is whoever we pick half the board will love the pick and half the board will hate it.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I love how they have poised themselves to take advantage of this draft. In my case, I made the assumption that the top tackles and the top pass rushers were gone. I chose to take the safe bet, Chance Warmack, who incidentally provides a huge dose of nasty right into the middle of our OL. He will be there for years, and will finally give us the 'chance', (no pun intended), to halt the push from the big nasty DT's and Nose Tackles. We should finally have the protective spot for Palmer to step up into when the edge rush comes.

I then chose to go Safety with the next two picks, as we depleted our secondary so badly with the cap moves, and because this draft is set up to exploit that position very well this year. After that, everything else seemed to fall into place in order, (TE, RB, OLB, WR). I tried to get as much bang for our buck as I could with each position.

It can be argued that taking Eric Martin at #174 is simply wasting a pick on OLB, but this kid can already play that position, even though he is extremely raw, and has only one year under his belt. He needs the refinement that he will get from our staff, and I am positive that he will apply it vehemently. He is a work-out rat and a study freak, and works tirelessly to get better. He is a true self-starter with a non-stop motor.

My draft mock only cover's one scenario. BA/Keim are set to exploit a number of scenarios. I am stoked to see what will happen.

AS you have so remarkably pointed out, BA/Keim have a plan, and they are poised to execute it. They have brilliantly positioned themselves to take advantage of this draft, and I am thrilled at the prospect of watching that unfold in the next ten days or so. It's almost like those two have been joined at the hip, and each already knows the other's thoughts.

I would be delighted with Warmack, Catfish.

If it were up to me---there's only one tackle I would take at #7 and that is Eric Fisher, because I think he is that good. In that scenario, I would try to see if Levi Brown could be my Chance Warmack at LG. I cannot imagine why not. I would pay to see Levi take on Justin Smith at the point of attack. I like my chances with Levi. I know already that he would be more dreaded to play against for Justin Smith than Colledge or Snyder. For that matter, eventually the same could be said about Chance Warmack...and I say eventually because Warmack will need some time to acclimate his game to the NFL and blocking NFL DTs and NTs.

A left side of Levi and Chance...could become more dynamic than Levi and Strauss.

But it will take some time.

Your safety tandem of Matt Elam and Philip Thomas is outstanding---and could be made more comfortable if we were to trade down, add another 3rd rounder and still be able to take Chance Warmack.

The tandem is a brilliant idea because we need a second nickel safety right away and Thomas is the best nickel safety prospect in this draft, imo.

Elam is just tough as nails and is a team catalyst...he gets everyone fired up.

Loved your pick of Erik Martin so much that I would consider him in the 5th round where the Cardinals have been targeting great ST players, which is what Martin is. I think he could emerge eventually as a starter at SOLB, once he gets a little more rounded out.

This draft is extra exciting because we will see more of BA's and SK's vision unfold. Thus far, I would rate their efforts as magna cum laude.

This draft---could make it---summa cum laude if the puzzle pieces are the right fits.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd add Cooper to your Top 7 (plus possibly Austin) list.

I also think that a few BA observations (like feeling that a Levi-led OL isn't as bad as some people feel) are being made too much of. (It all depends on how selectively we read or listen to these comments to help prove our points).

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I'd add Cooper to your Top 7 (plus possibly Austin) list.

I also think that a few BA observations (like feeling that a Levi-led OL isn't as bad as some people feel) are being made too much of. (It all depends on how selectively we read or listen to these comments to help prove our points).

Bingo! It's not like having Drew Stanton prevented BA and SK from going after Carson Palmer.

Other than the potential of Ansah, I don't see a defender at #7 who is better than ANY of the top five offensive lineman. I do think Shariff Floyd is very good, but he won't make it to #4 let alone #7. Any offensive lineman we could draft at #7 will eventually be the best lineman we have IMO.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Nice writeup Mitch! Very good assessment of the players! You have been doing your homework. When I get back home I am going to do some more research on Lane Johnson. I would love to see us draft either Fisher or Jones at 7. My two favorite players in this draft. I think we will be a better team this year than most people think. Bringing in Carson Palmer is big for this offense. Him throwing to Fitz, Floyd and Roberts will show just how good our WR's are. Also don't forget Housler. I think he has a big year as well. My biggest concern is with the running game. Can Mendenhall stay healthy and can he be that 1200 yard rusher that we need him to be. I was not very impressed with Ryan Williams last year. If he can't show something this year I think he is gone. That is why I think we take a RB somewhere between rounds 3-5 just in case.

I think by mid-season our defense will be in tune with Bowles system. Plus just having a good offense will do wonders I think for our defense. Both giving them a breather and a shot in the arm for moral. I think we win at least 8 games now having a solid QB.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch drafting Warmack would help the running game and the passing game.Plus i think he is the safest pick at #7.

What do you think of these guys for later in the draft?
William Campbell DE-DT Michigan
Travis Johnson DE-OLB San Jose St.
Cody Davis S Texas Tech

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's the "Sunday Before..." - when the local beat writers (some of who have decent insider information ) begin to add their input to the draft conversation.

KC continues to say stuff that indicates an attempt to trade down. (They'll try to trade Albert unless they don't except if they do) and say they have four players they're considering. If they don't trade down, the body language still suggests Joeckel.

Jax wants a QB but not this high (probably a round or 2 later). Signs still point to Jordan.

Floyd getting most local love in Oakland at #3.

I hear Philly wants to firm up their defensive interior and that Lotuleilei is a logical pick. Kelly coached Jordan, likes him and would grab him if he fell to #4.

The tea leaves in Mo Town continue to point to Warmack (& not Milliner).

Cleveland says they're not interested in OG's and MJ Cabot (who was wrong twice about Cribbs) says they're leaning Milliner. I agree.

Which brings us to the Cardinals. Somehow, Fisher trickled through the cracks. No brainer (unless we trade down since Fisher, Johnson, Cooper, Fluker and possibly others are still available).

I think we're gonna be OK.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
It's the "Sunday Before..." - when the local beat writers (some of who have decent insider information ) begin to add their input to the draft conversation.

KC continues to say stuff that indicates an attempt to trade down. (They'll try to trade Albert unless they don't except if they do) and say they have four players they're considering. If they don't trade down, the body language still suggests Joeckel.

Jax wants a QB but not this high (probably a round or 2 later). Signs still point to Jordan.

Floyd getting most local love in Oakland at #3.

I hear Philly wants to firm up their defensive interior and that Lotuleilei is a logical pick. Kelly coached Jordan, likes him and would grab him if he fell to #4.

The tea leaves in Mo Town continue to point to Warmack (& not Milliner).

Cleveland says they're not interested in OG's and MJ Cabot (who was wrong twice about Cribbs) says they're leaning Milliner. I agree.

Which brings us to the Cardinals. Somehow, Fisher trickled through the cracks. No brainer (unless we trade down since Fisher, Johnson, Cooper, Fluker and possibly others are still available).

I think we're gonna be OK.

Rumor i read say KC will send Brandon Albert to Miami.KC will take Joeckel or Fisher.
Jax goes defense........Jordan or Mingo.
Oak-Sharrif Floyd agree
Philly-might be a surprise landing spot for Geno Smith
Det-needs a left tackle.Riley Reiff might be better on the right side.
Cleveland takes either Lotulolei DT or Milliner CB
AZ-still think its Warmack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch drafting Warmack would help the running game and the passing game.Plus i think he is the safest pick at #7.

What do you think of these guys for later in the draft?
William Campbell DE-DT Michigan
Travis Johnson DE-OLB San Jose St.
Cody Davis S Texas Tech

If we draft Warmack, BW, it would be a mistake to think he will come right in and play well. I've watched hours of tape on him, and I still don't know why Mike Mayock thinks he's the best guard prospect he's seen on film in decades....maybe he means strongest guard, but Warmack doesn't use his strength to his advantage as consistently as he should.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is an immense talent.

The strength in Warmack is evident---but his technique is so sloppy at times, it just makes you scratch your head. Plus, Warmack doesn't often fly off the snap---his first move is often up instead of out.

Conversely, having watched a lot of tape on David DeCastro last year, he's about as clean technique-wise as i have ever seen. He puts on a clinic every time he slaps on the pads. Now---he lacks Warmack's brute strength, but he's a better player because his technique makes him so consistent---it's kind of like the big hitter in golf, sure he makes some holes look easy, but a third of the holes he's finding trouble off the tee. In DeCastro, he's right down the middle almost every time---not quite as far, but close enough.

Check out this tape of Warmack and William Campbell---if you watch both players, you will see the strengths and weaknesses. On one play, Campbell blows by Warmack like he's a turnstyle and gets a great running sack on A.J. McCarron. Then on another play minutes late Warmack pancakes Campbell.

In both of their cases, their technique at the positions they play is not consistently good. In Campbell's case it is consistently poor. He jumps right up on the snap---not good---then he tends to lead with one shoulder, thus causing him to lose his balance. DTs need to stay square and they need to fire out low initially and deliver a strong punch to the midsection of the guard while keeping their feet chugging.

Campbell has good feet---that's his saving grace. But, he's a liability more often than not because of his poor technique.

The writer may be right---Campbell may be better suited to play guard.

Here check out the article and the tape inside of it:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft...awks-sleepers-dt-ot-william-campbell-michigan

I like Travis Johnson as a 34WOLB---similar to Zach Nash.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/travis-johnson?id=2539666

The NFL.com people compare him to Travis LaBoy, which is a pretty favorable comparison...but seems like a stretch.

Here's a tape versus Utah St.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGueoPmgrH8

What's good:

* Well coached---as an edge player---keeps his outside shoulder free, does a good job of maintaining contain.

* Has a nice dip move around the corner in his pass rush

* Stays at home on misdirections---very disciplined.

* Comes back down the ladder back to the QB when he's initially steered wide

* Plays hard to the whistle every snap

What's not so good

* Needs counter moves in pass rush---relies too heavily on his square and slip outside move

* Doesn't break down on his tackles well and quickly enough---he's somewhat easy to juke---lacks that quick twitch reaction ability, which edge players in today's NFL need.

S Cody Davis

Played a very good game versus West Virginia. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbhUDhOY24

* Good short side FS---keeps plays in front of him---come up hard to force the run---makes some good force tackles, but is not consistent in his form tackling as he dives too low at times and hits too high at times.

* Quick reactions in space---is not tentative, which is a huge plus.

* Good blitzer

* 3 interceptions this year

* Plays well in the red zone

* Had 82 solo tackles this pass year---that's a wow...especially when you see his inconsistent form. Made 362 tackles in his career in 48 starts (started all 4 years). Another wow, there

* Has a 41 inch vertical, ran a 4.42 40 at his Pro Day on a fast track.

* He plays more quick than fast, but his speed is soild.

I think you found a very good sleeper in this draft, BW. The positives are there.

Last edited:

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Wow, great post. Your passion and energy for all things Cardinals/football really shines through in this one. I am totally on board with the BA head coach pick. I think 3 years from now Chicago will really regret choosing Trestman over Arians. Also I think Keim has the right idea. He has created a sense of urgency in the front office that reminds me of College National Letter of Intent day. The polar opposite of Rod Graves.

Jarvis Jones would be my pick as well. The guy has a knack of getting to the passer, and he did it in the SEC. In another post you compared him to Terrell Suggs and I feel that is accurate. When you pick apart the games of Suggs and Jones, it feels like both are just really good at getting the QB. Jones will need to bulk up, but that is really the only criticism I have. And while I am not into Austin with the 7th pick, I will certainly remember that in 2013 Mitch was. Right or wrong, it takes a lot to stand up and declare your guy, even when it is not popular. It sure is a blast looking back in years past to see the various hits/misses in the draft. ASFNers usually nail the best players in the draft, though not always in agreement!

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
If we draft Warmack, BW, it would be a mistake to think he will come right in and play well. I've watched hours of tape on him, and I still don't know why Mike Mayock thinks he's the best guard prospect he's seen on film in decades....maybe he means strongest guard, but Warmack doesn't use his strength to his advantage as consistently as he should.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is an immense talent.

The strength in Warmack is evident---but his technique is so sloppy at times, it just makes you scratch your head. Plus, Warmack doesn't often fly off the snap---his first move is often up instead of out.

Conversely, having watched a lot of tape on David DeCastro last year, he's about as clean technique-wise as i have ever seen. He puts on a clinic every time he slaps on the pads. Now---he lacks Warmack's brute strength, but he's a better player because his technique makes him so consistent---it's kind of like the big hitter in golf, sure he makes some holes look easy, but a third of the holes he's finding trouble off the tee. In DeCastro, he's right down the middle almost every time---not quite as far, but close enough.

Check out this tape of Warmack and William Campbell---if you watch both players, you will see the strengths and weaknesses. On one play, Campbell blows by Warmack like he's a turnstyle and gets a great running sack on A.J. McCarron. Then on another play minutes late Warmack pancakes Campbell.

In both of their cases, their technique at the positions they play is not consistently good. In Campbell's case it is consistently poor. He jumps right up on the snap---not good---then he tends to lead with one shoulder, thus causing him to lose his balance. DTs need to stay square and they need to fire out low initially and deliver a strong punch to the midsection of the guard while keeping their feet chugging.

Campbell has good feet---that's his saving grace. But, he's a liability more often than not because of his poor technique.

The writer may be right---Campbell may be better suited to play guard.

Here check out the article and the tape inside of it:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft...awks-sleepers-dt-ot-william-campbell-michigan

I like Travis Johnson as a 34WOLB---similar to Zach Nash.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/travis-johnson?id=2539666

The NFL.com people compare him to Travis LaBoy, which is a pretty favorable comparison...but seems like a stretch.

Here's a tape versus Utah St.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGueoPmgrH8

What's good:

* Well coached---as an edge player---keeps his outside shoulder free, does a good job of maintaining contain.

* Has a nice dip move around the corner in his pass rush

* Stays at home on misdirections---very disciplined.

* Comes back down the ladder back to the QB when he's initially steered wide

* Plays hard to the whistle every snap

What's not so good

* Needs counter moves in pass rush---relies too heavily on his square and slip outside move

* Doesn't break down on his tackles well and quickly enough---he's somewhat easy to juke---lacks that quick twitch reaction ability, which edge players in today's NFL need.

S Cody Davis

Played a very good game versus West Virginia. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbhUDhOY24

* Good short side FS---keeps plays in front of him---come up hard to force the run---makes some good force tackles, but is not consistent in his form tackling as he dives too low at times and hits too high at times.

* Quick reactions in space---is not tentative, which is a huge plus.

* Good blitzer

* 3 interceptions this year

* Plays well in the red zone

* Had 82 solo tackles this pass year---that's a wow...especially when you see his inconsistent form. Made 362 tackles in his career in 48 starts (started all 4 years). Another wow, there

* Has a 41 inch vertical, ran a 4.42 40 at his Pro Day on a fast track.

* He plays more quick than fast, but his speed is soild.

I think you found a very good sleeper in this draft, BW. The positives are there.

Thanks Mitch.Cody Davis seems worthy of a 5 to 7 round pick.I know Campbell has had a up and down career in College but he did okay at the senior bowl and some pundits think the light has come on for him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were interviewing (the ND) Kelly about which linemen on the Alabama OL that mauled them would be most NFL-ready, and he said he felt Warmack would be most able to step right in and play right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard