The Durant Sweepstakes

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are if they violate the rule about number of players with rookie max extensions. That one had Simmons staying out with nets which meant couldn’t receive Donovan.

Three way trades are not illegal in themselves. If the pieces don't work then that's true of any trade.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three way trades are not illegal.
Three way trades are not illegal in themselves. If the pieces don't work then that's true of any trade.
Again, nobody said a 3 way deal is illegal. NOBODY. The proposed trade by Flex that he claimed could be done was never on the table. The trade is against NBA rules.

"A team can designate up to two rookies for such contracts, but there's a caveat: only one of them can be acquired by trade. Simmons, himself on a five-year deal signed with Philadelphia, already occupies one of those slots. Therefore, if the Nets keep Simmons, they cannot acquire another in a trade for Durant"

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not what I said. The combination of Simmons and Don's contracts is what makes the trade against NBA rules not the fact it's a 3 way trade. They are both on max rookie deals. Per CBS Sports:

"A team can designate up to two rookies for such contracts, but there's a caveat: only one of them can be acquired by trade. Simmons, himself on a five-year deal signed with Philadelphia, already occupies one of those slots. Therefore, if the Nets keep Simmons, they cannot acquire another in a trade for Durant"

I didn't see the rest of this in your quote. Simply saying three way trades happen.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see Simmons mentioned in Flex's tweet.
He said Mitchell was moving to the Nets. He can't. That is illegal because Simmons is still under contract. He also said it could be finalized tomorrow (which was yesterday). No it can't. Nothing can happen because of the contracts of those two players. So, he didn't have to mention Simmons. The trade can't happen or be finalized "tomorrow" (which has passed). Flex and his defenders obviously didn't know the rules. He tried to salvage his original Tweet but only after everybody called him out on Twitter and Gambo shot down that transaction.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of...Simmons just deactivated his IG account today. I doubt he is a Net much longer

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of...Simmons just deactivated his IG account today. I doubt he is a Net much longer
That would open up the possibility of a 3 way trade because it doesn't sound like Utah is changing their minds about DM.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said Mitchell was moving to the Nets. He can't. That is illegal because Simmons is still under contract. He also said it could be finalized. No it can't. Nothing can happen because of the contracts of those two players. So, he didn't have to mention Simmons. The trade can't happen or be finalized "tomorrow" (which has passed). Flex and his defenders obviously didn't know the rules. He tried to salvage his original Tweet but only after everybody called him out on Twitter and Gambo shot down that transaction.

None of this stuff is official until approved by the league office when the Moratorium ends on July 6th or thereafter.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be disappointed if the Suns moved on at this point.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of this stuff is official until approved by the league office when the Moratorium ends on July 6th or thereafter.
Yet the deal was supposed to finalized yesterday even though it's against NBA rules? OK. None of that matters until the Nets move Simmons or Utah changes it's mind on DM. No team is going to "finalize" a deal that can't happen.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets "We want a young all star"

League "you can't"

That Simmons trade was awful at the time and now it's a complete albatross. I would guess you need to send out a pick to dump him

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nets "We want a young all star"

League "you can't"

That Simmons trade was awful at the time and now it's a complete albatross. I would guess you need to send out a pick to dump him
I was wondering that as well. What is it going to take for the Nets to trade Simmons.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KG/AP all over again…
That has been in the back of my mind since this all started. Sounds like the Suns have a line they are not willing to cross for even KD. The Nets on the other hand are doing what they should. Asking for the world. At some point the Suns MUST move on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He didn’t say three way trades are illegal. He said Gambo wasn’t out there a three way trade that was obviously illegal. It was obviously illegal due to the extension factor not because it was a three way trade. No one has said three way trades are per se illegal. You’re arguing against no one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would imagine so. I am not where you are at and ready to move on yet but I am damn close.

I hope the Suns are exploring other options. It's hard to deal with a team that is in shambles.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is a bit different with Durant requesting to come here publicly
Yeah and wasn't it nixed because Marion decided he didn't want to go to Boston?

I'm trying to figure out where Cheese is seeing the equivalency other than a superstar player being involved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose