The Durant Sweepstakes

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing Durant may give us that we don't have is more free throw opportunities and more respect from the refs.

I thought CP3 would do that but I was wrong. The Suns took almost 300 fewer FT from the year before Paul to Paul's first year as a Sun. They won 17 more games despite that drop in attempts.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I thought CP3 would do that but I was wrong. The Suns took almost 300 fewer FT from the year before Paul to Paul's first year as a Sun. They won 17 more games despite that drop in attempts.
Paul can’t get to the rack anymore. If it wasn’t for the rip thru he’d rarely go to the line. He’d age better with another shot creator.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul can’t get to the rack anymore. If it wasn’t for the rip thru he’d rarely go to the line. He’d age better with another shot creator.

I didn't expect Paul himself to get there but for him to help our reputation with refs in regards to getting some respect. Also I thought Paul would set up teammates for easy baskets that would create fouls but we all know Ayton's issues with contact so that didn't materialize.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was probably already posted. Gambo's response to Flex's impending trade tweet. It's an open secret that Gambo has a clear line of communication with Ainge. It seems pretty clear Mitchell is not being moved by the Jazz.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
KD has been a fantastic player. He has a 4-year contract. Let's just say you get the same productivity out of him the next 2 years as he has had the last 2 years, is it worth it considering what we are giving up?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
KD has been a fantastic player. He has a 4-year contract. Let's just say you get the same productivity out of him the next 2 years as he has had the last 2 years, is it worth it considering what we are giving up?

It's hard to answer that question. If they win it all, then yes. If they don't, then no. Also, we don't know what the Suns are giving up. Suns made the finals, ran it back while making improvements and they fell apart in the playoffs. KD is so good that Devin Booker becomes your SECOND option. Assuming he stays healthy, KD takes the Suns to the next level. Suns would be able to have two of KD, Booker, and Paul in the game at all times. That is a scary team. Big questions is what they will be giving up- if they lose Ayton, Bridges, and Johnson, then the team is probably severely gutted. If they manage to keep Bridges, then the team might be deep enough to win it all.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a little disingenuous. Durant is under contract for four years. Likely two big years and I’d expect two years of still competent play. And decade of bridges is conjecture. I’ll bet the number of players that spend a decade with a single team these days is REALLY small.

For me it comes down to this:

No matter how well bridges plays he’s never going to win you a championship. He won’t you lead you there. He will contribute to one, but not lead.

Durant could absolutely lead a team to a championship with guys like Booker and Paul on it.

That’s a HUGE difference.

I want us to find a way to make this work, but I don't think Paul, Durant, Booker and a bunch of 1 year contract guys wins a title... I don't think they even pose a real threat to do so. There needs to be a supporting cast in play.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Durant, he is a great player but he is 34 soon and quite injury prone.

Apart from Ayton, short contracts and all the available draft picks/swaps (the latters are quite risky in themselves as well) I wouldn't give up anything from our core.
So no Cam Johnson and especially not Bridges. If the Nets do not bite, be it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was probably already posted. Gambo's response to Flex's impending trade tweet. It's an open secret that Gambo has a clear line of communication with Ainge. It seems pretty clear Mitchell is not being moved by the Jazz.

Gambo shot this down and said “no” either because he knew this 3 way trade was against league rules or likely because Ainge told him it was because of Simons and Dons contracts. Therefore, it couldn’t be "finalized tomorrow" or in the works for that matter. It’s no secret he does talk to Ainge. He has had him on multiple times over the years too.

This was a similar scenario as the KD trade. At the time of that Tweet it was impossible that the Suns had an opportunity or be in the right place at the right time at the time of the Tweet (KD hadn't made up his mind or had contact with the Nets). Again, he likely heard something from a player or someone in the org about this scenario, embellished and ran with it too. In this instance, he really got caught with his pants down because this trade wasn't possible let alone could be "finalized tomorrow". Flex tried to save face with a follow up Tweet saying ohhhh if Simmons is moved after he got called out by several people and Gambo shot this down.

Don’t worry his Flexers will find a way to ignore this too.

Last edited:

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Speaking of fans overrating and underrating, KD was called an awful lot of names when he went to the Warriors (and to an extent Brooklyn) with his ability to be “the guy” downgraded because of the talent around him. But now that he’s allegedly interested in the Suns, an older, post-injury KD is the apple of our eye. Not trying to call anyone out, but this is just human nature.

If he comes to Phoenix it’s still more likely the Suns don’t win a championship than do. CP doesn’t seem to be able to make it more than a playoff round or two any longer. Durant had a significant MCL sprain last season. If he misses playoffs or his performance declines, some will say we had to take the risk, and that’s fair. But it IS the risk.

None of us will be proven right in that scenario, but if we give up a potential ironman in Bridges for it, that’ll be a big part of the disappointment for me. (And as others have pointed out we’re talking about a Bridges package, not just a one-for-one.)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That no could just mean not tomorrow for all we know.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I want us to find a way to make this work, but I don't think Paul, Durant, Booker and a bunch of 1 year contract guys wins a title... I don't think they even pose a real threat to do so. There needs to be a supporting cast in play.
I don’t think they’re giving up both twins. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see the jazz throw in a player we could use like bogdanovich or clarkson.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo shot this down and said “no” either because he knew this 3 way trade was against league rules or likely because Ainge told him it was because of Simons and Dons contracts. Therefore, it couldn’t be "finalized tomorrow" or in the works for that matter. It’s no secret he does talk to Ainge. He has had him on multiple times over the years too.

This was a similar scenario as the KD trade. At the time of that Tweet it was impossible that the Suns had an opportunity or be in the right place at the right time at the time of the Tweet (KD hadn't made up his mind or had contact with the Nets). Again, he likely heard something from a player or someone in the org about this scenario, embellished and ran with it too. In this instance, he really got caught with his pants down because this trade wasn't possible let alone could be "finalized tomorrow". Flex tried to save face with a follow up Tweet saying ohhhh if Simmons is moved after he got called out by several people and Gambo shot this down.

Don’t worry his Flexers will find a way to ignore this too.

This is the latest tweet I see from John Gambadoro.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where the Jazz become important as a trade partner if they are willing to trade Donovan Mitchell to the Nets.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
aaljy ok.
This is the latest tweet I see from John Gambadoro.

Sounds like Gambo is playing both sides of the fence
You don't see the obvious difference? Gambo is saying the Utah has interest in Ayton in sign and trade. He is not putting out there a 3-way trade that is obviously illegal. Big difference. So, no Finito he is not playing both sides. He was shooting down the 3 way trade that CANNOT happen by NBA rule.

Again, it appears Flex took some liberties to predict what he heard.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aaljy ok.

You don't see the obvious difference? Gambo is saying the Utah has interest in Ayton in sign and trade. He is not putting out there a 3-way trade that is obviously illegal. Big difference. So, no Finito he is not playing both sides. He was shooting down the 3 way trade that CANNOT happen by NBA rule.

Again, it appears Flex took some liberties to predict what he heard.

Three way trades are not illegal.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three way trades are not illegal.
That's not what I said. The combination of Simmons and Don's contracts is what makes the trade against NBA rules not the fact it's a 3 way trade. They are both on max rookie deals. Per CBS Sports:

"A team can designate up to two rookies for such contracts, but there's a caveat: only one of them can be acquired by trade. Simmons, himself on a five-year deal signed with Philadelphia, already occupies one of those slots. Therefore, if the Nets keep Simmons, they cannot acquire another in a trade for Durant"