The DJ Trade

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m just curious, when you first heard this trade how many of you thought it was another of those silly rumors? People are always posting trades where one team gets rid of who they want and the other team cooperates by giving them a star player in the exchange. This seems more frequent in baseball because of the sheer number of trades. I’ve listened to people trying to trade Carpenter and Fowler for Arenado. When I heard the AZ trade I told the wife, “Here’s another fantasy trade just being tossed out there.” What did you think?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When the DJ to the Texans trade heated up, I said at the time that this could be part of something bigger: "There's another shoe to drop", I wrote at the time of the initial announcement. However, little did I expect it to be so huge a difference.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m just curious, when you first heard this trade how many of you thought it was another of those silly rumors? People are always posting trades where one team gets rid of who they want and the other team cooperates by giving them a star player in the exchange. This seems more frequent in baseball because of the sheer number of trades. I’ve listened to people trying to trade Carpenter and Fowler for Arenado. When I heard the AZ trade I told the wife, “Here’s another fantasy trade just being tossed out there.” What did you think?

In all honesty I thought it was too stupid to be made up so it had to be real.

Anyone inventing a fake trade would go for something more realistic that DJ with his full cap hit and a 2nd for Hopkins.

DJ's form and that deal were worth a 5th max, hell may even had have to Osweiler his ass.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was pissed!!!!

it came on my phone as Hopkins going to Arizona and I was driving I look I see it and that’s all I see. I’m driving thinking we just traded away our #1 pick. I mean had to be right.

then wow

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard it on the radio in pieces. First it came out saying DJ had been traded to Houston. Surprised but it made sense. Then it came out that DeAndrea Hopkins was part of the trade to the Cardinals. I was confused and not sure if they had correct information. Then the entire trade came out and I felt they were wrong that we must have also given up our first round draft pick. Finally it was sort of verified by I think either Schefter or Rapoport that the trade was in fact what was stated. I sent a text immediately to my son telling him I couldn't believe this. Then I sweated it out for the next several weeks until both passed their physicals. I thought for sure Houston would try to get out of it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I first learned of the trade and its details reading the NFLNet crawl.

Initially, I just thought of it as just another NFL trade. Then the commentary from the football media came pouring in and told me that I should be happy.

(Note - On paper, I had already accepted the opinion that, for whatever reason, DJ had lost his mojo and Drake was - at the very least - a competent bell-cow RB).

Didn't make me look like much of an expert on non-Cardinal superstars, but that's how it went down here.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Was stunned that Keim was able to pull that off, but I think it's more of a byproduct of Bill O'Brien not knowing what he's doing and making emotional rather than logical decisions. The biggest blow to BOB was Diggs getting traded later that night for substantially more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the Cardinals made the trade for Hopkins I was shocked. I thought there had to be another piece yet to be announced.

As far as I was concerned, David Johnson had a negative value.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Was stunned that Keim was able to pull that off, but I think it's more of a byproduct of Bill O'Brien not knowing what he's doing and making emotional rather than logical decisions. The biggest blow to BOB was Diggs getting traded later that night for substantially more.

I think the Bill's panicked more than anything else.

Diggs isnt worth that comp.

DumboD

Rookie
Reaction score
I was stunned. I had no idea that Keim could pull off such a deal. DJ's big contract and his poor performance lately had me believing, like others on the forum here, that DJ had zero trade value. So the questions are:
1. Has Hopkins' play begun to decline making him unworthy of a bigger contract?
2. Were the Cardinals just not using DJ correctly and he actually has more left in the tank than fans give hime credit for?
3. Was this deal made simply because of a conflict between players and management with little to do with on-field performance?

Right now, it's still a hard deal to figure out.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Texans are a backwards franchise... the owner is overtly racist and Bill Obrien runs the team unilaterally. What a mess

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was on Vacation in Orlando eating lunch at our resorts sports bar when it came up on the TV that DJ had been traded to the Texans. I couldn't believe that someone traded for DJ with his inflated contract and that we actually got something for DJ in return. Then like an hour later I saw that Hopkins was part of the deal and almost lost it. Still I didn't fully believe it till the Trade finally went through just before the draft.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
at first I thought it fake.
Then the details started coming out and like most of you I was wondering where all the compensation was.
then there was elation, holy poo, we just pulled off the trade of the decade.....
then covid19 weighed in and our trade may not be valid if these guys dont get physicals done....and I saw the SOC looming their ugly head as I just knew we were gonna watch this get screwed up.

But it happened, covid19 didnt change it, and we have Deandre Hopkins on the roster

Booyah bitch!!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I remember the David Johnson tidbit breaking about 20 minutes before the Hopkins part so I figured we had given up a late rd pick to move him. When it came out we got Hopkins for DJ the pick compensation wasn’t announced so I knew it had to be #8 since Johnson had negative value. I’ll always remember where I was and what I was doing when I checked Twitter that day.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harry, good to bring this up. Beats talking about the ongoing coronavirus effect on the NFL and all of sports. It is also a good and current memory for the Cards.
:cheers:

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought I must have been getting DeAndre Hopkins’ name mixed up with another player for the last several years, or that there were two Hopkins on the Texans and we got the unknown one. I literally resorted to googling DeAndre Hopkins just to make sure I hadn’t gone crazy; I was that shocked and in disbelief.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr