The Defense

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, you also said they got their ish together after that game. They very much did not get their ish together until the 2nd half in those games. Then they got their ish together for a full game last Sunday.

I posited a common ground, and even made it positive common ground. You blew right by it.

There isn't a a defense in the league that is consistently great through 4 quarters.

In the last 3 games, the only half I can can say they were poor is the first half vs the Raiders. But considering the amount of 3 and outs we had and how much ball the Raiders had limiting them to 20 wasn't actually that bad.

The 2nd half and OT of the Raiders game, through the Rams game and the Panthers they have been pretty solid.

There are far more concerns about the offense.

On the plus side, we have seen the ability. If we can get first half offenses firing like our 2nd half offense we should do pretty well.

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The defense is NoT a problem only until offense figures it out. Offense has been in the mud got past 10 games now..

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I've been a defender of Vance and the defense, but maybe they're actually not good? They're ranked 29th in defensive DVOA through four weeks.
I would say they are bottom 8 in the nfl.

They have made some timely plays to prevent points which has helped them. I do believe they are playing fine for their talent which is my Vance complaint and compliment. The secondary issues have hurt a lot and as they get back legit NFL bodies, things should get a little better.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been a defender of Vance and the defense, but maybe they're actually not good? They're ranked 29th in defensive DVOA through four weeks.

Less than 17.5 point conceded per game through the last 3 games seems good to me...

Of the 103 points conceded 44 of them came in game 1.

Let's just say it's trending up?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Less than 17.5 point conceded per game through the last 3 games seems good to me...

I think we can all agree on this.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There isn't a a defense in the league that is consistently great through 4 quarters.

In the last 3 games, the only half I can can say they were poor is the first half vs the Raiders. But considering the amount of 3 and outs we had and how much ball the Raiders had limiting them to 20 wasn't actually that bad.

The 2nd half and OT of the Raiders game, through the Rams game and the Panthers they have been pretty solid.

There are far more concerns about the offense.

On the plus side, we have seen the ability. If we can get first half offenses firing like our 2nd half offense we should do pretty well.
This defense is the only one in NFL history that has allowed the first three possessions to be scored in the first three games of the season. You don't have a good half when you give up points in the first 3 possessions, period. As I said, and as you keep trying to deflect, the defense has been historically bad the first three games. For the entirety of the first game, which you want to wipe out, and for the first half of the next two games. In four games, they have four really good halves and four really bad halves of defense, with nothing in between. Two of them came against Carolina.

On your bolded statement, I wholeheartedly agree.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I guess that's the point of DVOA. It looks at all the situations and how successful our defense is in each. You're using an N of 4 and DVOA is looking at an N of 237.

Also, we've been playing bad offenses. KC is 5th in offensive DVOA, but none of our other opponents so far ranks higher than 20th.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, we've been playing bad offenses. KC is 5th in offensive DVOA, but none of our other opponents so far ranks higher than 20th.

With that you’re basically telling me they’re doing what they should do?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
With that you’re basically telling me they’re doing what they should do?
I don't know. Our rush defense is actually doing pretty well, but our pass defense is pretty trash. We've only faced 139 passing attempts (39 of which were against KC); I don't think we have enough data on that.

Part of it is a sorting problem. We allow these scoring drives early in games and then settle in in the last three quarters. If those were dispersed more randomly I don't know how we'd feel.

We're 26th in yards allowed per drive and 30th in points allowed per drive. I think we're defending bad offenses poorly. We're attacking bad defenses pretty effectively (15th and 14th in points and yards scored per drive, respectively), which I was surprised by.

The sample sizes on these are still really small, so the data is probably pretty noisy.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great playmakers? Where did I say that.

Re-read the post and respond again .
You can’t pick out any outside of Kupp so that’s why you had to nitpick his post, lol.

Hell, you’re probably gonna nitpick this post since you still can’t pick out any.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t pick out any outside of Kupp so that’s why you had to nitpick his post, lol.

Hell, you’re probably gonna nitpick this post since you still can’t pick out any.
If Krang had started my infamous JOSH MCCOWN IS THE ANSWER thread, he’d still probably argue he was somehow right back then.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Higbee is a good TE. I'd take him over Ertz at this point.

And I remember YOU specifically talking about how awesome a pick up Allen Robinson was (I didn't think so), so it's rich that you're talking out both sides of your mouth.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And I remember YOU specifically talking about how awesome a pick up Allen Robinson was (I didn't think so), so it's rich that you're talking out both sides of your mouth.
Higbee over Ertz in 2022 isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement. If Higbee is a good player maker than its bleaker for the Rams than what I already thought.

I said it could be a good pickup *if* he was rejuvenated, which obviously, he is not. I even preached shying away from him when he was a FA because his down-year last year wasn’t a QB problem.

Just admit you were wrong dude. There’s nothing wrong with that. Everyone knows it’s obvious Kupp is their only +good playmaker.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Higbee over Ertz in 2022 isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement. If Higbee is a good player maker than its bleaker for the Rams than what I already thought.

I said it could be a good pickup *if* he was rejuvenated, which obviously, he is not. I even preached shying away from him when he was a FA because his down-year last year wasn’t a QB problem.

Just admit you were wrong dude. There’s nothing wrong with that. Everyone knows it’s obvious Kupp is their only +good playmaker.
Post in thread 'Bold predictions for the 2022 season.' https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/f...tions-for-the-2022-season.480452/post-4816057

Admit you were wrong here. Quit being so snarky. I literally CALLED what was going to happen with the Rams. I didn't wait to call you out until you starting acting pompous.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Post in thread 'Bold predictions for the 2022 season.' https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/f...tions-for-the-2022-season.480452/post-4816057

Admit you were wrong here. Quit being so snarky. I literally CALLED what was going to happen with the Rams. I didn't wait to call you out until you starting acting pompous.
Admit that I was wrong that it would be bold for us to win the division? What? I’m pretty sure that’s still very bold.

Maybe you should stop being so purposely & obviously oblivious. Stop trying to insult people’s intelligence like we’re 4 years old. It’s embarrassing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Admit that I was wrong that it would be bold for us to win the division? What? I’m pretty sure that’s still very bold.
It's not. The Rams look like dog crap, even moreso since we played them...and their problems are exactly how I forecasted them.
Maybe you should stop being so purposely & obviously oblivious. Stop trying to insult people’s intelligence like we’re 4 years old. It’s embarrassing.
Maybe you should stop being snarky so much. I rarely see any real predictions from you. Just snark.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I thought Robinson would be a good pickup. Wow, very much the opposite.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lol okay, beyond kupp who are the “good playmakers?”
Higbee. Van Jefferson. And then a couple of decent guys like Skowronek, Henderson, and Akers.

Robinson is likely to rebound at least a little, but I doubt he is the force he used to be.

IMO their problems are more related to Stafford than the actual players. Good QBs don't need 4 great WRs. But they generally struggle if the OL is bad (and the Rams OL is bad).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
All offseason I was leary of the Rams continuing their championship run. Their OL on paper looked extremely suspect even with every player healthy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson