The Crowd At The Stadium

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know that I will get flamed for this but here goes. In general, the fans here suck. Yeah there are a lot of us out there coming home hoarse and giving it their all but I'm talking about the crowd in general. I suppose many will say "No ish!" and maybe it is obvious. I have just been really defensive about it for so long that I felt like we got a bad rap. We don't.

At kickoff there were so many seats empty that I was seriously depressed. It got better but not much. People all around me were commenting on how many Lions blue was in the stadium. Did you hear how loud they got when Suh made a tackle? Thank goodness he wasn't much of a factor.

Watching the Seattle-49ers game I was impressed (maybe not the best word but it made an impression) with how many fans were there for the intros and national anthem. If they raised a 12th Man flag for Cards fans at University of Phoenix Stadium there might be 15 to 20 thousand there for it. Meanwhile the Seattle stadium is packed for it.

Channel 3 was showing an interview with #90. He didn't call out the crowd per se, but he did mention how loud the Rams stadium was and he hoped that we could be that loud in the future. Please, don't make this about Dockett...we already have a thread for that. I think that he is speaking what a lot of the players feel.

Again, not calling you that were there out. I'm sure that you were doing your part. Just a general observation.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ours fans do trickle in late, we could hear detroit fans over the broadcast and it always irritated me that noone makes noise until the teams line up so they can call their play in the huddle in the quiet. I was always loud the whole time as I want it to be hard to call the play too.

the seahawks are smart and they have the 12th man flag raise celebration before the game and the fans like to be there for that.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I was at the game and I'd say it was, maybe, 10% Lions fans in the stadium...it just a lot easier to spot blue in a sea of white, red, and black.

That being said, it was kind of embarrasing how quiet the crowd was except for a few key plays. As for Dockett, it's a little hard to get hyped when he is urging the crowd to get fired up when he does not appear to be playing with fire.

Additionally it seems he is a little out of shape, for he was huffing and puffing and looked gassed as they changed sides after the 1st qtr.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That being said, it was kind of embarrasing how quiet the crowd was except for a few key plays. As for Dockett, it's a little hard to get hyped when he is urging the crowd to get fired up when he does not appear to be playing with fire.

Additionally it seems he is a little out of shape, for he was huffing and puffing and looked gassed as they changed sides after the 1st qtr.
Again, I don't want to make this about Darnell. #93 was right next to him trying to get the crowd fired up.

The only time that we got loud like BRR pointed out that we should be (when they are in their huddle) was at the very end of the game.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was at the game and I'd say it was, maybe, 10% Lions fans in the stadium...it just a lot easier to spot blue in a sea of white, red, and black.
I gotta admit, I sit on the west upper level (Cards side) looking over at their sidelines. There was definitely more than 10% Lions fans there on the lower level. Hell, there was at least 10% on our side on the upper level.

It's probably jealousy on my part but in other stadiums there is no visitors side. The fans behind the visitors are giving them ish. In our stadium, they are giving them support.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did you hear how loud they got when Suh made a tackle? Thank goodness he wasn't much of a factor.

I heard that on tv. I was wondering if they were booing the Cardinals or chanting "Suuuuh." It sounded too loud to be Lions fans. Guess not.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I got yelled at for standing up on defense...

It was shocking how loud it got for suh. Cards needs something they can say together and it will come out much louder.

On a side note the wifi is freaking terrible there and ruined my fantasy football app.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona fans are the worst IMO been flamed many times for it on here.

The team has been in AZ for a quarter damn century. The excuses of its going to take time to build up a fan base and it's gonna take time for them to learn how to act and when to cheer is complete BS and just an excuse.

Half empty at the start of games is a regular occurance. Not filling up till almost halfway through 1st qtr. a complete joke!

You get yelled at by fellow fans for standing up and cheering your team. It's not just football either. Was yelled at numerous times at Sun games by suns fan for standing up. Same people and same mentality. AZ is full of fickle snobby sports fans who just think they are better than you! FACT!

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

The team has been in AZ for a quarter damn century. The excuses of its going to take time to build up a fan base and it's gonna take time for them to learn how to act and when to cheer is complete BS and just an excuse.

Half empty at the start of games is a regular occurance. Not filling up till almost halfway through 1st qtr. a complete joke!

You get yelled at by fellow fans for standing up and cheering your team. It's not just football either. Was yelled at numerous times at Sun games by suns fan for standing up. Same people and same mentality. AZ is full of fickle snobby sports fans who just think they are better than you! FACT!
Sadly...the truth.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

until 2005 the games were not on TV. Since 2005 our fan base has grown dramatically due to every game being on TV combined with the bowl run.

growing up here i NEVER saw cardinals shwag, now it is everywhere and on lots of cars when stuck in traffic on the freeway.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

Too many foolish transplant fans that "cheer" for Cards when their "real" team is not playing. I had a dude sitting in front of me--dressed in all Cards gear--who told me his real team is the 49ers! When he said that I yelled, "Security!" a few times.

Additionally, I saw tons of fans dressed in Bears, Steelers, Raiders, Packers gear attending the game. What is up with that!?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too many foolish transplant fans that "cheer" for Cards when their "real" team is not playing. I had a dude sitting in front of me--dressed in all Cards gear--who told me his real team is the 49ers! When he said that I yelled, "Security!" a few times.

Additionally, I saw tons of fans dressed in Bears, Steelers, Raiders, Packers gear attending the game. What is up with that!?

If i lived in another state id still go to football games, why not wear my cardinals gear? Its ok to be a football fan, you dont have to be an only one team period no matter what fan.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I've had season tickets my whole life until this season. I watched this game on TV and I just comforted myself by telling myself that they must have the crowd noise turned way down on the broadcast or something, because when we scored that 1st TD, I was like, what the heck? Is there anyone there or what?

I dont think our fans suck, when we were on fire, like Seattle is right now, our stadium was rocking every week, ESPECIALLY for a huge game like that on Sunday Night or MNF. This team just isn't bringing the same level of excitement at the moment. We can get it back, by winning. :)

Trust me Seattle hasn't always been like this. I went to a Seahawk/Cards game in Seattle a few years back when we both sucked and it was dead like a preseason game. Happens to everyone, gotta have something to electrify the fanbase.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
until 2005 the games were not on TV. Since 2005 our fan base has grown dramatically due to every game being on TV combined with the bowl run.

growing up here i NEVER saw cardinals shwag, now it is everywhere and on lots of cars when stuck in traffic on the freeway.

More excuses. The cards were absolutely on TV I grew up there an watched them not buying it. If anything the SB run 5 years ago should have been the icing on the cake that completely reversed the trend. It didn't back to the norm.

Yes you see more fans and jerseys. But those same fans you are seeing are the same snobby suns fan that get pissed when you stand and cheer your team. They still suck and don't "get it"

It's just AZ. It is what it is! Never gonna change.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sit down Shane I can't see.

:D

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had season tickets my whole life until this season. I watched this game on TV and I just comforted myself by telling myself that they must have the crowd noise turned way down on the broadcast or something, because when we scored that 1st TD, I was like, what the heck? Is there anyone there or what?

I dont think our fans suck, when we were on fire, like Seattle is right now, our stadium was rocking every week, ESPECIALLY for a huge game like that on Sunday Night or MNF. This team just isn't bringing the same level of excitement at the moment. We can get it back, by winning. :)

Trust me Seattle hasn't always been like this. I went to a Seahawk/Cards game in Seattle a few years back when we both sucked and it was dead like a preseason game. Happens to everyone, gotta have something to electrify the fanbase.

Nope never heard stories of getting yelled at by your own fan base for cheering. It's disgusting. Seen more cards fans kicked out from complaints by other cards fans. Big fight with my group one year? With other cards fans started by them for over cheering and standing... Stuuuupid!

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I dont think our fans suck, when we were on fire, like Seattle is right now, our stadium was rocking every week, ESPECIALLY for a huge game like that on Sunday Night or MNF.
I disagree. We've rocked our stadium three times. Once in '98 at Sun Devil against the Chargers and our two playoff games in '08. The Sunday night and MNF games that you are referring to still had an ass load of opposing fans.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More excuses. The cards were absolutely on TV I grew up there an watched them not buying it. If anything the SB run 5 years ago should have been the icing on the cake that completely reversed the trend. It didn't back to the norm.

Yes you see more fans and jerseys. But those same fans you are seeing are the same snobby suns fan that get pissed when you stand and cheer your team. They still suck and don't "get it"

It's just AZ. It is what it is! Never gonna change.

Whatever, I see the change. If you dont see it from Vegas I dont know what to tell ya.

I cant tell you how many games I listened to on the radio because it wasnt on tv in SDS. At least 50% of em.

Plus, we sucked. Noone roots for a team who goes 5-11 for a century.

I grew up here too and half the time the games were not on tv so i dunno

I rarely had any AZ fan ask me to sit down and stop screaming in my 5 years as a ticket holder. My entire section was loud and awesome. (121)

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe they should have sections where standing and rowdy (not drunk) behavior is allowed.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. We've rocked our stadium three times. Once in '98 at Sun Devil against the Chargers and our two playoff games in '08. The Sunday night and MNF games that you are referring to still had an ass load of opposing fans.
those playoff games were amazing but they are supposed to be.

we had some rockin priometime games too and some games in 08 and 09 that were out of control.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nope never heard stories of getting yelled at by your own fan base for cheering. It's disgusting. Seen more cards fans kicked out from complaints by other cards fans. Big fight with my group one year? With other cards fans started by them for over cheering and standing... Stuuuupid!

Really nothing you said has anything to do with my post. I just said our fans our dead right now because we're not exciting. It would be better if we were a contender like Seattle. Would it be perfect? Nope, but that's not what I said at all, you just continue to pick at every post I make for some odd reason.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
those playoff games were amazing but they are supposed to be.

we had some rockin priometime games too and some games in 08 and 09 that were out of control.
Don't get me wrong. The fans at the games have rocked it many, many times, like the Dallas OT game in '08. My point though is, why were there so many Cowboys fans? I know that the ticket brokers have a lot of the seats but why aren't Cards fans buying them? Sure you see a smattering of opposing teams fans in all stadiums but it's embarrasing when we play the Cowboys, Packers, Patriots, Giants, Steelers, et al. Those fans will be in other stadiums but not nearly the same numbers.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever, I see the change. If you dont see it from Vegas I dont know what to tell ya.

I cant tell you how many games I listened to on the radio because it wasnt on tv in SDS. At least 50% of em.

Plus, we sucked. Noone roots for a team who goes 5-11 for a century.

I grew up here too and half the time the games were not on tv so i dunno

I rarely had any AZ fan ask me to sit down and stop screaming in my 5 years as a ticket holder. My entire section was loud and awesome. (121)

So now you can only build a fan base if home games are televised? I watched 8 road games a year on TV. It's been 25 years in AZ. Really is no excuse we will agree to disagree. AZ full of sports snobs them wearing AZ gear won't change that. That's why I ring up suns fans that act the same way. If you don't see it your wearing blinders.