The Crowd At The Stadium

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. The fans at the games have rocked it many, many times, like the Dallas OT game in '08. My point though is, why were there so many Cowboys fans? I know that the ticket brokers have a lot of the seats but why aren't Cards fans buying them? Sure you see a smattering of opposing teams fans in all stadiums but it's embarrasing when we play the Cowboys, Packers, Patriots, Giants, Steelers, et al. Those fans will be in other stadiums but not nearly the same numbers.

We are still a majority transplant state but as time goes by you have more and more natives which leads to more and more die hards.

It takes time.

So now you can only build a fan base if home games are televised? I watched 8 road games a year on TV. It's been 25 years in AZ. Really is no excuse we will agree to disagree. AZ full of sports snobs them wearing AZ gear won't change that. That's why I ring up suns fans that act the same way. If you don't see it your wearing blinders.
I see plenty but I see massive improvement over the last 8 years. Baby steps. Other teams have been in their cities much longer and won much more.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really nothing you said has anything to do with my post. I just said our fans our dead right now because we're not exciting. It would be better if we were a contender like Seattle. Would it be perfect? Nope, but that's not what I said at all, you just continue to pick at every post I make for some odd reason.

Bert I have disagreed with you twice in a week and I'm all of a sudden picking on you? Lmfao I commented here before you did bro with my opinion and it does fit your post your ignoring the snob issue. If you are going to be so thin skinned about me disagreeing with you I don't know what to tell you dude!

Chiefs won two games last year. Look at their stadium yesterday? Everything you stated is just excuses. There's a reason this is brought up almost yearly. There's a reason other AZ residents and season ticket holders complain. It is am issue. It's sad'

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. The fans at the games have rocked it many, many times, like the Dallas OT game in '08. My point though is, why were there so many Cowboys fans? I know that the ticket brokers have a lot of the seats but why aren't Cards fans buying them? Sure you see a smattering of opposing teams fans in all stadiums but it's embarrasing when we play the Cowboys, Packers, Patriots, Giants, Steelers, et al. Those fans will be in other stadiums but not nearly the same numbers.

I get what you're saying and it was always really frustrating to me too. I hate seeing all those opposing teams fans in our stadium. Not because I dont welcome them, I just wish we could all be Cards fans.

But I gotta say you are seeing it more and more all over the country. I have seen a couple games in the past couple of years where it was like Bears vs. someone really popular or Steelers vs someone in their home stadium and when either of those teams scored and the crowd reacted, I was like wow, there are ALOT of Bears fans there. Granted it's probably not as bad as it is here, but it happens in other places too it's not exclusive to AZ, if that makes you feel any better, lol. ;)

I dont think it will ever change short of us winning like 3 straight superbowls and the bandwagon really overflowing. Ofcourse the first 4-12 year afterwards we'd probably be right back here. Oh well. I guess it is what it is.

Bert I have disagreed with you twice in a week and I'm all of a sudden picking on you? Lmfao
Been a lot more than that dude, but it's fine, you're right. All the time. I am properly put in my place.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in the last seven seasons, this team has had two winning seasons...and during those seven season, every single home game has been sold out. I'd say the fans are pretty damn good considering the trash they've had to watch for the majority of that period.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Crowd can't get too enthused. SAFE will come over and tase them for clapping too loud.

:p

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
growing up here i NEVER saw cardinals shwag, now it is everywhere and on lots of cars when stuck in traffic on the freeway.

There was none when I moved here 7 years ago. Cards gear/decals on cars didn't happen until after we went to the Super Bowl. It's grown steadily and I see a lot of Cardinals license plates and kids wearing Larry jerseys.

But there is still more Pittsburgh/Cowboys/Bears gear in my local Walmart and Target than Cards stuff. Damn retired snowbird Boomers.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is really no point to bitching about our crowds on this website. The people on this board, that attend the games, are not the ones who need to hear it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona is a place where people move to although there is a younger generation who is growing up native. Most people bring their team allegances with them from across the country. It's just a sad fact about Arizona sports that we may always have to deal with. There is nothing you can do about it except put a winning team on the field that forces locals who follow other teams to adopt Arizona teams as their own.

I've come to accept this as a reality in Arizona sports. Getting adults to change their teams just isn't going to happen. They may jump on the band wagon when an Arizona team is winning but they won't support a loser when they can fall back to their old team.

That is why I have picked up a 5th season ticket this year. I allow my kids to alternate bringing a friend to the game. Preferably a friend who hasn't been to a NFL game before. We get the friend a cheap Cardinal shirt from Target if they don't have one already. Try to make it a fun experience for them. That way they will remember thier first NFL game and hopefully become future Cardinals fans.

It's been really a great experience so far. All of the kids have been so excited to go to see a real NFL game for the frist time.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
That is why I have picked up a 5th season ticket this year. I allow my kids to alternate bringing a friend to the game. Preferably a friend who hasn't been to a NFL game before. We get the friend a cheap Cardinal shirt from Target if they don't have one already. Try to make it a fun experience for them. That way they will remember thier first NFL game and hopefully become future Cardinals fans.

It's been really a great experience so far. All of the kids have been so excited to go to see a real NFL game for the frist time.

Awesome!!!

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There is really no point to bitching about our crowds on this website. The people on this board, that attend the games, are not the ones who need to hear it.
I guess that there is no reason to bitch about the players either since we don't coach them. It's a message board. It's where we go to vent and discuss. If you don't like the thread, don't comment or read.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There was none when I moved here 7 years ago. Cards gear/decals on cars didn't happen until after we went to the Super Bowl. It's grown steadily and I see a lot of Cardinals license plates and kids wearing Larry jerseys.

But there is still more Pittsburgh/Cowboys/Bears gear in my local Walmart and Target than Cards stuff. Damn retired snowbird Boomers.
I yelled at a manager at Sears one time because they had a big Cowboys display and the Cards stuff relegated to the back.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess that there is no reason to bitch about the players either since we don't coach them. It's a message board. It's where we go to vent and discuss. If you don't like the thread, don't comment or read.

It's a worthy topic.

OP
OP
earthsci

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Arizona is a place where people move to although there is a younger generation who is growing up native. Most people bring their team allegances with them from across the country. It's just a sad fact about Arizona sports that we may always have to deal with. There is nothing you can do about it except put a winning team on the field that forces locals who follow other teams to adopt Arizona teams as their own.

I've come to accept this as a reality in Arizona sports. Getting adults to change their teams just isn't going to happen. They may jump on the band wagon when an Arizona team is winning but they won't support a loser when they can fall back to their old team.

:thumbup:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a worthy topic.

Especially considering there were several local living season ticket holders with their buts parked on the Internet in our game thread and not at the home opener :)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Despite the lackluster behavior from our crowds, the Cards have a distinct home field advantage. Winning record in U of P. 7-1 in home openers in that building. 3-0 in playoff games in that building.

So while we don't always like how fans act, it is light years ahead of the SDS days.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The whole transient state argument don't hold a lot of water anymore. Phoenix was huge even when the cards arrived with tons of natives born there. Tons gave been born in the decade since and that's not een counting the droves of kids that were about 1 to 12 yoa when they arrived who starved for a local team. It's been a quarter century there has to come a time when that excuse doesn't fly anymore.

What's the snobby suns fan excuse then?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite the lackluster behavior from our crowds, the Cards have a distinct home field advantage. Winning record in U of P. 7-1 in home openers in that building. 3-0 in playoff games in that building.

So while we don't always like how fans act, it is light years ahead of the SDS days.

Now that is both true and factual.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole transient state argument don't hold a lot of water anymore. Phoenix was huge even when the cards arrived with tons of natives born there. Tons gave been born in the decade since and that's not een counting the droves of kids that were about 1 to 12 yoa when they arrived who starved for a local team. It's been a quarter century there has to come a time when that excuse doesn't fly anymore.

What's the snobby suns fan excuse then?

I am a native and I still get the "woah never met a native before" treatment all the time.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I yelled at a manager at Sears one time because they had a big Cowboys display and the Cards stuff relegated to the back.

Good job. I've given the Evil Eye to people buying Cowboys merchandise. :D (They are, traditionally, the most annoying. I keep track.)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Speaking of the stadium...

Did anyone take note of the condition of the turf? Did it look like it had already endured a full preseason and training camp? Didn't look too bad on TV.

I ask because I watched the Houston game and the Reliant turf looked really beat up already. Lots of dug-up chunks. I don't know if there was a college game the day before, but that field looked bad.

Sorry for the hijack. Didn't think it deserved its own thread.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did anyone take note of the condition of the turf? Did it look like it had already endured a full preseason and training camp? Didn't look too bad on TV.

I ask because I watched the Houston game and the Reliant turf looked really beat up already. Lots of dug-up chunks. I don't know if there was a college game the day before, but that field looked bad.

It looked much worse in the third preseason game, it appeared they resodded the middle of the field, you could see the dividing line between new grass and old grass

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

At work I sit near 2 Eagles fans, 1 NY Giants fan, 3 Steeler fans, 2 Patriot fans, 1 Bronco fan and 3 Cardinals fans. All three of the Cardinals fans grew up in Arizona. I'm the lone Cardinals fan who adopted the Cardinals as my team when I initially moved to Arizona and by far am the most rabid fan of the bunch. The rest moved to Arizona as adults and refuse to leave their old teams behind. This is the way it is all over Arizona.

Lets not forget that the kids who watched the Cardinals make the Super Bowl are still in school. They can't even drive yet so I'm not sure how they would buy season tickets and get to the game. LOL

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It sure looked like they put new Sod in the middle of the field between the hash marks.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92