The Cardinals "created a monster"

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For me any QB shirking on this stuff is a huge red flag and unlikely to ever be changed by coaching. This is something that has to come from within. If you haven't got it nobody can give it to you.

The NFL graveyard is littered with the bones of talented guys who just didn't have the self motivation to do the grunt work. And those that are great like JJ Watt and Brady are the ones that embrace the grind.

If Kyler thinks he can just do the fun bits and shirk the boring stuff then he's going to have a short career.

It can be fixed, but he has to have that realisation and change himself.
He has to make the decision himself but someone else can certain show him his deficiencies in a manner that is impactful. See Larry Fitzgerald and Todd Haley/whis.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is one of those sources...

“I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.” - Kyler Murray
What is "kill myself"? 4 hours 8 hours? Heck, 1? Regardless, it's a narrative on the fact that KK doesn't like film study. Otherwise, I think he would have answered differently.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Are you not understanding my position on purpose?
No one is going to come out and say "My name is [Player X] and Kyler Murray doesn't do the work." Not only is it deeply unprofessional, but the NFL is a brotherhood, and that would be a deep betrayal of the lockerroom.

If your standard of evidence is that Larry Fitzgerald holds a press conference and says, "Man, everyone in that building decided that Kyler is the new hotness as soon as he was drafted. He was allowed to write his own ticket, and it set a bad example," you're NEVER going to hear that.

You have to trust that these blind items are legit and that national beat writers don't have a compelling reason to conjure fake news about one of the five least-popular teams in the NFL [Citation Needed].

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The speculation is that he is STILL not studying. I admit he didn't study as much before.

I won't speculate that it is still that way. Focus on the timeline.

The article says he didn't FO the work after he got paid. That was only 6 months ago. They specifically say this season was doomed because Kyler didn't do the work. How much more recent can you get?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Here is one of those sources...

“I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.” - Kyler Murray

BIM I think you understand that K1 could make the above statement, and still watch an above average amount of film, right?

I'm on the record as saying Murray probably needs to grow up some, needs to work on his leadership skills, and could probably use some more accountability.

But all he's saying is that the first part of that quote is that his approach is not fanatical, which is okay. I understand and agree that you have to work hard if you want to be great, but you don't have to work 14 hours a day seven days a week.

Probably could have done without the last part of the quote, I agree, :) but if you want to pounce on every word the kid says to try to paint him as a villain, have at it.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because that isn't the only factor. Unless I was doing a group project, my hard work and success was only caused by me and my effort. There are at least half a dozen people critical to Kyler's success, not just himself. More like dozens.

Take the argument in reverse. When the reports came out 1.5-2 years ago that he wasn't studying enough, why wasn't he playing poorly then? If he wasn't studying film enough, he shouldn't have been successful, right?

He wasn't. He's always played below his potential outside of 7 games last year.

He's never in his career been in Burrow, Herbert, Allen territory. Never even been in Lamar territory.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't. He's always played below his potential outside of 7 games last year.

He's never in his career been in Burrow, Herbert, Allen territory. Never even been in Lamar territory.
Doesn't mean he didn't play above average. Nice try.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you not understanding my position on purpose?
No one is going to come out and say "My name is [Player X] and Kyler Murray doesn't do the work." Not only is it deeply unprofessional, but the NFL is a brotherhood, and that would be a deep betrayal of the lockerroom.

If your standard of evidence is that Larry Fitzgerald holds a press conference and says, "Man, everyone in that building decided that Kyler is the new hotness as soon as he was drafted. He was allowed to write his own ticket, and it set a bad example," you're NEVER going to hear that.

You have to trust that these blind items are legit and that national beat writers don't have a compelling reason to conjure fake news about one of the five least-popular teams in the NFL [Citation Needed].
My standard of evidence is more than speculation and conjecture... you know, the meaning of evidence.

So the answer is yes. It does seem that you are not understanding my position on purpose.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
My standard of evidence is more than speculation and conjecture... you know, the meaning of evidence.

So the answer is yes. It does seem that you are not understanding my position on purpose.
KM's quote, as well as the provision in his contract to study film for only 4 hours a week should tell you all you need to know about his "study habits". How many times have you heard him say, "I need to be better", or "I need to work harder"? His obvious lack of accountability is astounding.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Kyler Murray is a monster, the whole team knows this so clearly the ownership knows this and the acting GM's know this. ANd yet they fired the coach for not stopping the monster THEY created by giving Murray the contract?

That's my point, I wanted Kliff to be fired but if the contract created the Murray monster, that's not Kliff's fault. But they fired Kliff, which tells me the people still in charge do NOT think the contract was the issue.
They don’t have to go hand in hand. One can be a monster and the other can just suck at his job…. They can both be accurate.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KM's quote, as well as the provision in his contract to study film for only 4 hours a week should tell you all you need to know about his "study habits". How many times have you heard him say, "I need to be better", or "I need to work harder"?
Most QBs say this when they have a bad game, even the ones that study hard. If you need me to find quotes from some of those QB, please let me know.
His obvious lack of accountability is astounding.
Isn't acknowledging your failures part of accountability?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It could be the exact opposite. Sometimes you can study TOO much and be burnt out by the time you take the actual test.

Speculation is fun.
This is a stretch. If you don't want to believe the Kyler article, his subsequent regressing, the anonymous sources from inside the organization, the study clause and the Mike Silver article...then nothing I can say is going to change your mind and you can go ahead sticking your head in the sand. Fine. But to say all of the reports and news is just pure speculation, come on man. Everyone questioning Kyler's dedication to put in extra work is valid until he proves otherwise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is a stretch. If you don't want to believe the Kyler article, his subsequent regressing, the anonymous sources from inside the organization, the study clause and the Mike Silver article...then nothing I can say is going to change your mind and you can go ahead sticking your head in the sand. Fine. But to say all of the reports and news is just pure speculation, come on man. Everyone questioning Kyler's dedication to put in extra work is valid until he proves otherwise.

It's also quite remarkable that there's no counter-narrative that says that Kyler has been absolutely killing it in the film room, he's the first guy at the facility, he's staying late to work with Billy Price to get snaps right, etc., etc.

The team would LOVE to tell that story and promote how much Kyler has grown.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's also quite remarkable that there's no counter-narrative that says that Kyler has been absolutely killing it in the film room, he's the first guy at the facility, he's staying late to work with Billy Price to get snaps right, etc., etc.

And it isn't there.

It is pure speculation to assert that Kyler's mindset has changed since that article. There is no evidence that shows it has.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you talk about speculation. Your assumption Kyler has done something to change his own mindset and words is pure speculation. You have no proof that he thinks differently now as he did then.
I have been very clear several times in this thread that I do not know that he has changed one way or another. It isn't me that is speculating.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to believe the Kyler article, his subsequent regressing, the anonymous sources from inside the organization, the study clause and the Mike Silver article...then nothing I can say is going to change your mind and you can go ahead sticking your head in the sand. Fine. But to say all of the reports and news is just pure speculation, come on man. Everyone questioning Kyler's dedication to put in extra work is valid until he proves otherwise.
Please re-read my stance in this thread.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Most QBs say this when they have a bad game, even the ones that study hard. If you need me to find quotes from some of those QB, please let me know.

Isn't acknowledging your failures part of accountability?
That was my point...Kyler doesn't take personal accountability. He only says "we" need to be better, not "I".

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my point...Kyler doesn't take personal accountability. He only says "we" need to be better, not "I".
This has been debunked too. He has stated that I need to be (play) better.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm reading that Kyler needs to be held accountable for preparing for games. And I'm also reading that KK didn't do this and was too lax overall.

That's all fair at this point and take showed this year.

Now, what gets me is an anonymous player calling him a monster and hiding behind a reporter. If it's true and you want change, tell Kyler that he's become a monster and be the mentor he needs instead of a quote.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose