The Cardinals Are Trash

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing can absolve these things:

#1. Being down by 11 and not kicking a FG with most of a quarter left

#2. Being down 11 with 8 minutes left and exhibiting zero urgency despite having 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning.

#3. Getting down to 5 minutes left and not racing for a FG with your 3 clock stoppages so you don't have to onside kick

I can rant about Kyler regression, dropped passes, a terrible set of scripted plays, team culture, lack of motion, running up the middle out of the shotgun, and roster construction but that all pales in comparison to the complete lack of understanding of situational football.

We are completely outmatched as long as Kliff calls plays.
He is too aggressive for his own good. I didn't like not kicking the FG.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But as Brit said you have to as a play caller be aware. We all watch other NFL games, when a starting CB gets nicked up and leaves the game literally every other team in the league attacks the guy that just came in. If your LT gets hurt they immediately attack the backup LT, it's the same thing.

Kliff had a week to gameplan and it was known for days that they were going to have Ramsey and then backups at CB. And the THIRD scripted play of the game is AJ Green against Jalen Ramsey 1 on 1. It just makes no sense. Yes the QB should go away from it, 100% agree, but it shouldn't be the playcall in the first place.
I actually don't have a big problem with it. They needed to try and get AJ going. It is clear he looks disinterested if he isn't involved early.

Plus Hollywood did pretty darn good against Jalen.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NFL decision-making isn’t without some risk.

But I’d wish that a few of those risks were covered by sound football knowledge (i.e. a couple would prove successful if for no other reason than dumb luck).

Enduring KK’s and SK’s weirder calls then watching nearly all of them go south in a hurry is almost too much to bear,

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually don't have a big problem with it. They needed to try and get AJ going. It is clear he looks disinterested if he isn't involved early.

But that's my problem it's the whole thing. it's not just going against Jalen it's going against Jalen with as K9 likes to say the rotting corpse of AJ Green. It's just not going to work.

Kyler should have thrown the other way anyways.

I actually right now would not be surprised if Green misses several weeks now with that knee. I honestly really wonder if he has long Covid. The play he hurt it on the ball went through his hands and hit him in the facemask/helmet, then he landed. And the crazy thing he didn't even really need to jump at his size he could have caught the ball without jumping. I don't know if he hurt his knee on the landing, or on the jump.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
83 offensive plays we ran yesterday. 83!

And didn't score TD.

Kyler's completion percentage is down 5.2 percentage points while his YPA has dropped from 7.9 to 5.6.

How do you throw shorter passes and get less accurate?
No Rondale Moore and Chase Edmunds for checkdowns for 1.

No Hopkins for tougher catches for 2.

Worse running game than last season has an effect also, because the D is keying more on the pass.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that's my problem it's the whole thing. it's not just going against Jalen it's going against Jalen with as K9 likes to say the rotting corpse of AJ Green. It's just not going to work.

Kyler should have thrown the other way anyways.

I actually right now would not be surprised if Green misses several weeks now with that knee. I honestly really wonder if he has long Covid. The play he hurt it on the ball went through his hands and hit him in the facemask/helmet, then he landed. And the crazy thing he didn't even really need to jump at his size he could have caught the ball without jumping. I don't know if he hurt his knee on the landing, or on the jump.
I thought AJ going down might be a blessing in disguise for this offense. Nobody wants an injury, but it could help the offense overall.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That was a 3rd and 2.

Throwing to anybody one on one down the sideline with Jalen Ramsey on them is a low percentage throw, throwing to AJ freaking Green makes the odds of it's success about 5%.

There is really nothing acceptable about that play, especially when you see on the other side of the field they were laying off Brown 10 yards, it was a freaking easy 1st down to be had.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finally signed up for NFL+, which I get for free as a season ticket holder. The All-22 is not up yet, but here's the best screen grab I could get. There is a defender just out of screen at the top of the "D" in Cardinals, but McBride has an easy TD if you go that way. Instead, he threw to Conner - on 3rd and Goal. I added the captions, obviously.

You must be registered for see images attach

Man, looking that direction too

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Get AJ going on 1st down. Not 3rd down with Ramsey in press man.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a 3rd and 2.

Throwing to anybody one on one down the sideline with Jalen Ramsey on them is a low percentage throw, throwing to AJ freaking Green makes the odds of it's success about 5%.

There is really nothing acceptable about that play, especially when you see on the other side of the field they were laying off Brown 10 yards, it was a freaking easy 1st down to be had.
If the ball was a foot higher, I think AJ catches it. It was an underthrown ball by Kyler.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hey, look on the bright side, there's no need for optimism for the next 2 or 3 years at least. But, they probably will run this ish show for the next 5 years because, you know, winning isn't a priority with MB.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a 3rd and 2.

Yeah so? He actually read the defense and found single coverage. If he threw the ball better, it would been a catch. There is always going to be second guessing and hindsight played when calls/games don't go your way. Just like on 4 of the 5 times Kliff went for it on 4th down and was successful.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good coaches makes half time adjustments. Kliff doesn't even seem to make adjustments year over year..why the heck do I emotionally attach to this garbage franchise every Sunday?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah so? He actually read the defense and found single coverage. If he threw the ball better, it would been a catch. There is always going to be second guessing and hindsight played when calls/games don't go your way. Just like on 4 of the 5 times Kliff went for it on 4th down and was successful.
I'm sorry, there is never a good time to throw it to AJ Green when he is covered by Ramsey, and the other corners have almost zero nfl experience.

First off AJ Green completely blows and will drop more than half the balls you throw to him. Second that route is a hard one to throw, and should not be thrown on 3rd and short - pretty much ever, but if you are going to it better be to an elite reciever like Hopkins.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, there is never a good time to throw it to AJ Green when he is covered by Ramsey, and the other corners have almost zero nfl experience.

First off AJ Green completely blows and will drop more than half the balls you throw to him. Second that route is a hard one to throw, and should not be thrown on 3rd and short - pretty much ever, but if you are going to it better be to an elite reciever like Hopkins.
No need to apologize. Green is a shell of himself right now and this year and game proved it. Ramsey isn't the Ramsey of old either at the moment. Hollywood had his way with him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm amused that anyone is reacting to what Green is doing at this point. He proved last year that he was completely unreliable. Nothing has changed.
Depending on him at all after last year made no sense to me. You get what you paid for… and we’re really not even getting that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose