The Cardinals are over the Cap, but....

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
In order for the Cardinals to move on and have some type of ability to make moves in the offseason they will have to cut some players, and do some work with current contracts.

With that being said, do you think tight end is a big enough need for this team to spent some money on the position.

Would Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas break the bank, do you think they will get Jimmy Graham money ?

I am not sure, but a guy like Jordan Cameron may be a player the Cardinals go after, since he has stated he is NOT going back to Cleveland.

I know Cameron has had some concussion issues but that was the case with Carlson as well.

What say you ?

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals carry four tight ends and are returning three (Rob Housler is no longer under contract to the team). They'll add one, but it will most likely be the fourth guy on depth chart.

They have a vet who understands route running in John Carlson. They invested a second round pick on Troy Niklas. And Darren Fells showed promise. And there are much more pressing needs elsewhere.

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get this boards fascination with TEs considering weve know forever, and will continue to know, we could have Jimmy Graham or Gronk, and wed still not use him.

Cards don't use TEs.

No point in even opening the wallet. UDFA Darren Fells, not to mention Troy Niklas, are more than enough for our 90% blocking TE room.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would not spend the money a free agent TE. Arians has said, repeatedly, that blocking is the TE's #1 job. I'm not sure what kind of blocker Cameron is but Thomas is not a blocker.

Both are going to want get paid to catch the ball so I doubt they'd even have interest in AZ as well.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO with Fells and Niklas we have a good future to groom at TE and carlson is a good vet to help with it/play. I think we need more of a 4th TE than a 1st TE. Id rather spend money at OLB, C, CB, ILB

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
our offense stinks, maybe is time to use tigh ends more as a catcher
even if we use tigh ends mainly to block our WR's didnt put a lot of yards
tight end to block for what? our running game stinks
so is like to admit our interior line is just putrid
i dont know but i am not really happy about our offense and playcalling
arians suppose to be an offense guru but i dont see this right now
maybe thats a reason he waited 30 years to get a head coach job in the nfl??

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I am not sure how much they want to pay, but Virgil Green, of Denver will be on the market for about 2 mil. He came out of college three years ago as a pass catcher. He has since made himself into the 4th best-blocking TE in the NFL. He should easily be able to outperform his contract here in AZ. if the staff wants to carry 4 TEs. He seems to be the kind of self motivator that this staff covets. He got very little work in Denver due to the vast number of receiving choices they carry on their roster. It's not likely they will be looking to keep him.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If the team could sign Green from Denver then with Fells and Niklas already on the roster, I don't see why you would carry a 4th TE. All 3 are capable pass catchers and all 3 are capable blockers so why would you carry a 4th TE? I would sooner stick a Oline man out there if you were looking for extra blocking. Imagine what you could do out of a jumbo package with 3 TEs in the game and the defense knows all 3 can catch the ball and block on a running play.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nice!

Thus the topic.

All good points people.

Now the next question that pops into my head, with the cap so tight is there really any position that is of such a need that the Cardinals do anything in the first two weeks of preseason ?

I am not sure. Obviously ILB is an issue, but is there an inside linebacker the fits the role we need and is worth overpaying for ?

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice!

Thus the topic.

All good points people.

Now the next question that pops into my head, with the cap so tight is there really any position that is of such a need that the Cardinals do anything in the first two weeks of preseason ?

I am not sure. Obviously ILB is an issue, but is there an inside linebacker the fits the role we need and is worth overpaying for ?

It would appear that Justin Durant, OLB, Dallas will be on the market. He grades out nearly as well as Bryan Orakpo, but has not near the injury history that Orakpo does. Granted, he is coming off a torn bicep that occurred in week 6 of 2014. Orakpo has suffered 3 torn pecs in the past several years.

Durant was a productive starter for Dallas until the tear. He recorded 49 tackles, 4 passes defensed, and 2 forced fumbles in 2014. (Keep in mind the 4 passes defensed). Though he is listed as an OLB, and can play that position both as a weakside or strongside backer in a 4/3 configuration, he could also start as an ILB in a 3/4 configuration like we run. He can run, chase, and cover.

He may not be needed by Dallas, who is also CAP strapped, because fellow impending free-agent linebackers Rolando McClain, and Bruce Carter are both younger, and may have more upside than Durant. In addition, standout LB Sean Lee is returning from injury, and Anthony Hitchens had a strong rookie year for Dallas.

We might not have to overpay. At a likely rate of 2.5 to 3 mil. Durant, who is 29, could be well worth taking a chance on for a 1 or 2 year deal as a starter OR a rotational player.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should sign Julius Thomas, then put him in a room alone with Calais Campbell for 10 minutes, and then cut him.

:D

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If Chopper is correct and most of the pass rush from this defensive system comes from the inside and not the outside then the only two I see that seem to be able to create pressure from the inside are Ayers from NE and Harris from NYJ. K9 says they don't fit because they are mediocre at best in coverage. I doubt they are any worse than Foote or Minter. I don't see much else out there worth pursuing unless you look to convert one of the OLB free agents to the inside.

I think this is one position you are going to have to address in the draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand what Arians wants and needs from the TE position if you think we're going after guys like Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron. That would be a tremendous waste of resources.

I would hope that Chopper's right that we take a look at Matt Spaeth (Steelers), but we've had a couple of chances to acquire him and haven't shown much interest.

If Chopper is correct and most of the pass rush from this defensive system comes from the inside and not the outside then the only two I see that seem to be able to create pressure from the inside are Ayers from NE and Harris from NYJ. K9 says they don't fit because they are mediocre at best in coverage. I doubt they are any worse than Foote or Minter. I don't see much else out there worth pursuing unless you look to convert one of the OLB free agents to the inside.

I think this is one position you are going to have to address in the draft.

I think you can get D.J. Williams (CHI) for a song and he'd deliver approximately what we got from Larry Foote. Kelvin Sheppard (MIA) has some experience and would be cheap. Those are guys that you can get in early March but might still be around after the draft.

Keep an eye on the Top Contracts list for ILBs:

http://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/2015/

A number of these guys are going to get cut loose after the draft because they're replaced by younger players. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jerroud Mayo and/or Patrick Willis released before training camps open.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards pick up an ILB in the draft and another discounted veteran afterward.

It's worked pretty well so far.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Derrick Johnson of the Chiefs seems likely to be a cap casualty

Seems to fit into the vet player mold -- a run and chase guy playing in the inside

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I think you misunderstand what Arians wants and needs from the TE position if you think we're going after guys like Julius Thomas or Jordan Cameron. That would be a tremendous waste of resources.

I would hope that Chopper's right that we take a look at Matt Spaeth (Steelers), but we've had a couple of chances to acquire him and haven't shown much interest.

I think you can get D.J. Williams (CHI) for a song and he'd deliver approximately what we got from Larry Foote. Kelvin Sheppard (MIA) has some experience and would be cheap. Those are guys that you can get in early March but might still be around after the draft.

Keep an eye on the Top Contracts list for ILBs:

http://overthecap.com/position/inside-linebacker/2015/

A number of these guys are going to get cut loose after the draft because they're replaced by younger players. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jerroud Mayo and/or Patrick Willis released before training camps open.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards pick up an ILB in the draft and another discounted veteran afterward.

It's worked pretty well so far.

It is just my opinion, but I do not believe that the Cards want to duplicate what we got from Foote. They want what we had/have in D-Wash, and Durant is the guy that can give them very near that level of play right now. Foote, I believe still has another year left on his contract, (if he so chooses to play). They might be grooming him to replace Bettcher as a LB coach, so maybe he will take that last year and use it to be an on-field player-coach, then retire and coach for BA. I could still see them go after a high draft pick for ILB to supplement the depth and give the roster upside.

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I have to agree that we probably won't spend any money on a TE but if we did Julius Thomas would be my top pick.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Houser was certainly a bust, but the Cards stayed fascinated by his speed for far too long; hands or heart of stone. Niklas is the real deal if he stays healthy. He can be a great blocker as well as a good receiver. Fells looks promising as well. Likely the Cards go with those two and add some inexpensive depth.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
In order for the Cardinals to move on and have some type of ability to make moves in the offseason they will have to cut some players, and do some work with current contracts.

With that being said, do you think tight end is a big enough need for this team to spent some money on the position.

Would Jordan Cameron or Julius Thomas break the bank, do you think they will get Jimmy Graham money ?

I am not sure, but a guy like Jordan Cameron may be a player the Cardinals go after, since he has stated he is NOT going back to Cleveland.

I know Cameron has had some concussion issues but that was the case with Carlson as well.

What say you ?
I say nay.Too many other areas of need.Plus Cards have Carlson and Niklas.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Yes, am misunderstanding it. Does Arians not use the tight ends in the passing game because he never had a good one, or doesn't want the Gronkowski type player? I dunno, thus the thread.

Cool. Appreciate the answer from you and everyone.

Thus it is safe to say Rob Housler is gone.

Also, unless it is a Health Miller type, don't expect the Cardinals to be interested in said Tight End.

If this is the case, then I could see the Cardinals going after Bear Pascoe. Huge mountain of a tight end that I used to watch the Giants use either at the TE position or FB position.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Derrick Johnson of the Chiefs seems likely to be a cap casualty

Seems to fit into the vet player mold -- a run and chase guy playing in the inside

Now there is a name.

As much as I hate to put Daryl Washington in the Cardinals plans, it seems as if it would be the Cardinals flogging themselves to cut him, or release him since the cap number is so larger. I mean, Washington is a P&R nightmare at this point, but put him on the field, bury him in the media (aka never talk about him), and then if the Cardinals could score Derrick Johnson, dare I say we would have a better ILBer combo then when Dansby was here.

Bobcat

Reaction score

What say you ?

Plus he is a local guy from a great family...!!!

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is just my opinion, but I do not believe that the Cards want to duplicate what we got from Foote. They want what we had/have in D-Wash, and Durant is the guy that can give them very near that level of play right now. Foote, I believe still has another year left on his contract, (if he so chooses to play). They might be grooming him to replace Bettcher as a LB coach, so maybe he will take that last year and use it to be an on-field player-coach, then retire and coach for BA. I could still see them go after a high draft pick for ILB to supplement the depth and give the roster upside.

I agree. BA has already said several times since the end of the season that one of the things he'd like to improve is our speed on defense. The most likely area he's referring to is linebacker. Though Buccanon was technically a linebacker this year, I don't think that's the long term plan for him. That leaves us with Acho, Okafor, Minter, Foote, Demens, Shaughnessy, Alexander, and Carson. This group certainly doesn't offer much speed at all.

From a football perspective, what this team needs is Daryl Washington, along with more speed on the outside.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. BA has already said several times since the end of the season that one of the things he'd like to improve is our speed on defense. The most likely area he's referring to is linebacker. Though Buccanon was technically a linebacker this year, I don't think that's the long term plan for him. That leaves us with Acho, Okafor, Minter, Foote, Demens, Shaughnessy, Alexander, and Carson. This group certainly doesn't offer much speed at all.

From a football perspective, what this team needs is Daryl Washington, along with more speed on the outside.

I believe that Keim will bring in speed at LB both inside and outside, and both from the draft and from free agency. Buchannan, and Matthieu will play more safety this coming year, but both will be in the mix for surprises to walk up into the box on occasion to add speed to the rush. That would give Bettcher more weapons to play with at the LB position, and both Matthieu and Buchannan are great tacklers. I don't think he will be looking for prototypical LB per say, but will adapt body types and talents to either, (set a hard edge), or to mirror and slide with the QB in the case of mobile types like Wilson and Kaepernic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard