The Ayton Plan

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's certainly not a physical ability problem - he's a superior athlete.

I think he isn't, by NBA standards. Most of his opponents are faster, quicker, and/or stronger than he is. I'm hard pressed to think of another starting-level center over whom Ayton has an athletic advantage.

Head isn't right.

I agree with that.

He's also delusional. He thinks he's doing what he's supposed to be doing - how do fix someone who can't even recognize the problem?

He knows he's not good enough and he's trying to protect his ego.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think there's a good chance the bruised ribs will keep him out for the next game. Or were you suggesting we'd bench him and use the injury to protect what little value he has or so he can save face?
That would be a new career low.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Here's (a lot) more about Ayton's rib injury by Dana Scott

Incident happened fairly early in the game - which he still played in afterwards - sounds like he plans on playing in Game 6 but he was already talking about needing medication for the ribs so idk

"- "I need medication for this," he said, before walking toward the team's medical staff away from his locker.

Ayton had a large white bandage over his lower right rib cage, was bent over and grabbed his knees as he grimaced in pain.

Phoenix's top big was injured when he took a hard hit from to his torso from Denver's sixth man Bruce Brown at 3:14 in the first quarter when Denver led 26-18. -"

Linky

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think he isn't, by NBA standards. Most of his opponents are faster, quicker, and/or stronger than he is. I'm hard pressed to think of another starting-level center over whom Ayton has an athletic advantage.

I agree with that.

He’s more athletic than Jokic. The issue is Jokic is by far the most skilled big the NBA has seen in a while.

Ayton’s issues are 100% mental at this point. He’s far better than he’s produced, but as it stands, he’s his own worst enemy.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
He’s more athletic than Jokic. The issue is Jokic is by far the most skilled big the NBA has seen in a while.

Ayton’s issues are 100% mental at this point. He’s far better than he’s produced, but as it stands, he’s his own worst enemy.
And Ayton getting beat up and down the court by Jokic is unforgivable - Ayton should be lapping the guy

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you define athleticism...there are many that are stronger than him, but probably not quicker or faster. You're seriously going to argue Ayton isn't more athletic than anyone on this list? http://www.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I agree with that.

Ayton had an elite physical profile coming out of college. He has an athleticism advantage against just about every opponent he takes the court against. For a 7 footer with a 43.5" vertical, you would think he might be tempted to show it off a bit.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And Ayton getting beat up and down the court by Jokic is unforgivable - Ayton should be lapping the guy
Seeing that consistently has made me want to vomit all series. Particularly because:

A) everyone points out he’s not in position to rebound because he’s up top setting so many screens (in other words, closer to half court than jokic); and

B) he’s averaging 3 offensive rebounds, so he’s not down low on offense tearing up the boards.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
I think one guy called me insane for saying he was the Robert Nkemdiche of the NBA, and I am assuming most of the Ayton stans are University of Arizona fans. But I think the comparison holds. You guys just don't get it, period. You see a huge black dude and just assume he reeks athleticism, grit, power etc... that is not DA, his personality is not what your bias is telling you.

He is a from a country where Cricket is the number one sport, it's a very polite, friendly laid-back childish culture. Your eyes are deceiving you. You are Ryan McDonough or you just don't like Arizona guys not being what you hope they can be.

This is whole Ayton being mid is really bad, because the Suns are out of money with, he new rules. KD and Book and Paul make so much that they will be lucky to fill out a real NBA roster, plus even cutting Paul doesn't save you, it saves you 15M. You went all in and you really don't have any guy on the roster who is a two way player. That's why your favorites like Okogie and Landale make the min or close, they aren't good on both ends.

So, Ayton was or is the piece you need to move to get quality depth, not two way guys or fan favs, real depth, real professional basketball players. KD is going to be 35 and on the decline if he isn't already and Book is going to be amazing, but you really need Ayton to get some complimentary pieces in here and he is blowing it. Either way, I see no way he is back, he is a max role player.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He's slower and weaker than Jokic.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Ayton had an elite physical profile coming out of college. He has an athleticism advantage against just about every opponent he takes the court against. For a 7 footer with a 43.5" vertical, you would think he might be tempted to show it off a bit.

Agree, slower, weaker and ******* stupid too.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe he can work on actually catching the pass and dunking the damn ball. Does he ever handle a pass Dow low cleanly? I don’t watch much NBA or Suns but couldn’t sleep last night and watched the second half. In just a few minutes in the 3rd quarter he fumbled and bumbled 4 passes that should have been catch and dunks. Lost the handle and tossed up some fall away shot put.
He didn’t look like a first overall pick and max player to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd bet money that if you put both of them at one end of the court and told them the perfect video game setup of the future would belong to whichever of them could run the court the fastest, DA would leave the Joker behind by several steps.

Jokic is stronger, he's smarter, he's more motivated and he plays with far greater intensity but DA is faster and far more athletic. But who cares especially since it doesn't translate to the game of basketball. DA isn't a fraction of the player that Jokic is and that's all that matters to me.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd bet money that if you put both of them at one end of the court and told them the perfect video game setup of the future would belong to whichever of them could run the court the fastest, DA would leave the Joker behind by several steps.

Jokic is stronger, he's smarter, he's more motivated and he plays with far greater intensity but DA is faster and far more athletic. But who cares especially since it doesn't translate to the game of basketball. DA isn't a fraction of the player that Jokic is and that's all that matters to me.
I'm sure Ayton could beat Jokic in all kinds of races unrelated to basketball. Yet somehow Jokic is consistently driving past Ayton and Ayton is unable to drive past Jokic.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Ayton could beat Jokic in all kinds of races unrelated to basketball. Yet somehow Jokic is consistently driving past Ayton and Ayton is unable to drive past Jokic.
Yeah that was basically my point.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the game is still too fast for him. I think he's thinking about what he needs to do, rather than instinctively doing it. I think this is why he gets in his head and becomes dejected/disengaged/timid on the court. He's frustrated/frozen when his processing falls behind the action.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the game is still too fast for him. I think he's thinking about what he needs to do, rather than instinctively doing it. I think this is why he gets in his head and becomes dejected/disengaged/timid on the court. He's frustrated/frozen when his processing falls behind the action.
I think he gets 4 or 5 hours of sleep (on his good nights) because his passions are his video games and his kid, not playing basketball. IOW, everything else is too fast for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that I do not think basketball is a passion for him.
I think he wants to be good but not enough to really work on his game. And I don't think a pro athlete can really excel if he's only getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep regularly.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do not play him anymore as his lack of effort takes down the team. After we are eliminated get rid of him. enough already!!!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s a skill and effort thing, not an athleticism thing. Jokic drives by Ayton because of his savvy. He sets aytin with rocking back which makes Ayton thinks he’s shooting and jokic catches him on toes, jokic possess skilled enough ballhandling to them get a step on a guy who won’t put in the effort to play great defense.

On the other end there one simple reason Ayton can’t drive past jokic - he is unable to dribble effectively. Poor ballhandling skills = inability to drive past anyone.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'm half expecting some sort of injury report coming out on Ayton today resulting in a questionable status for Game 6 where DeAndre either doesn't play or blames said injury if he does play - guessing it would be a rib thing
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think he gets 4 or 5 hours of sleep (on his good nights) because his passions are his video games and his kid, not playing basketball. IOW, everything else is too fast for him.
I again also have to wonder if he possibly (over) indulges in some mellowing substances. If so, it certainly isn't going to help his existing lack of instincts on the court.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson