The Ayton Plan

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chap, I’d like to think you’re right. But I just can’t credit a guy whose basketball IQ is so poor with having that level of strategic self-awareness.
And there may be something to that. And while I think very little of Mark Bryant nowadays I’d like to think there is SOME IQ there, even if only a little.

His penchant to want to avoid contact might even support the theory.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Ayton won't be on the Suns next season. The only questions is what can the Sun realistically get for him?
If you are a good GM, plenty, If you're YoutubeJone maybe not as much. realistically do you think every team is 100% happy with their good players? You're e Cardinals fan, so clearly you are aware how much they like to save money, those teams exist in the NBA too, more than in the NFL. There are players sitting on rosters that don't want to be in crappy markets.

Bigs get over valued all the time.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mark Bryant shouldn't be blamed for Ayton's shortcomings. Kevin Durant, in particular, credits Bryant for helping teach him how to defend in the post. He also credits Monty and Perk as the other who have helped him the most.

Bryant was an assistant in OKC back when Durant was there, for those who didn't know. He's highly regarded around the league.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Mark Bryant shouldn't be blamed for Ayton's shortcomings. Kevin Durant, in particular, credits Bryant for helping teach him how to defend in the post. He also credits Monty and Perk as the other who have helped him the most.

Bryant was an assistant in OKC back when Durant was there, for those who didn't know. He's highly regarded around the league.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Your video is literally from 7 years ago. Ayton has been in the league for how long? And he barely knows any fundamentals. That’s a coaching fail.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the Suns need most from Ayton is defense, particularly establishing position for rebounds, blocking out and protecting the rim without fouling.

Better positioning alone on offense and defense it would be a tremendous help for his game.

He should be able to average 15 points a game even without plays being run for him.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Your video is literally from 7 years ago. Ayton has been in the league for how long? And he barely knows any fundamentals. That’s a coaching fail.
Absolutely. And if the coaches are teaching it and for whatever reason Ayton still isn't doing it, that is still on the coaches, because they would have to know he is not receptive by now and have had done something (anything) to either motivate him or call him out on it... and if that's not possible, have moved on from him. That's the coaching staff's freaking job.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely. And if the coaches are teaching it and for whatever reason Ayton still isn't doing it, that is still on the coaches, because they would have to know he is not receptive by now and have had done something (anything) to either motivate him or call him out on it... and if that's not possible, have moved on from him. That's the coaching staff's freaking job.

You don't think Monty would be happier if DA were gone? The coaching staff doesn't make trades. They can't force effort either. Ayton's proven capable of doing all the things asked of him, he's proven as much before when he decides to exert himself and play hard for a stretch every other month. No one can force him to do that all the time. He's not the type of personality that can be publicly ripped to get him motivated either, see the "I run on a Tesla motor" nonsense he spewed recently for proof of that. That's not on the coaches and Monty speaking up would only cause Ayton to pout, like he did in game 3 when he was awful and snuck out before the media gained access to the team.

The coaches have done what they can, kid is a headcase. No one blames the coaches for Ben Simmons being Ben Simmons. Some Suns fans want so bad for Ayton to pan out they'll blame anyone but Ayton himself. He's not the franchise Center of Colangelo's dreams. He's closer to Luc Longley than David Robinson at this point and the only person to blame is the guy Ayton sees in the mirror.

Raindog

Reaction score
You don't think Monty would be happier if DA were gone? The coaching staff doesn't make trades. They can't force effort either. Ayton's proven capable of doing all the things asked of him, he's proven as much before when he decides to exert himself and play hard for a stretch every other month. No one can force him to do that all the time. He's not the type of personality that can be publicly ripped to get him motivated either, see the "I run on a Tesla motor" nonsense he spewed recently for proof of that. That's not on the coaches and Monty speaking up would only cause Ayton to pout, like he did in game 3 when he was awful and snuck out before the media gained access to the team.

The coaches have done what they can, kid is a headcase. No one blames the coaches for Ben Simmons being Ben Simmons. Some Suns fans want so bad for Ayton to pan out they'll blame anyone but Ayton himself. He's not the franchise Center of Colangelo's dreams. He's closer to Luc Longley than David Robinson at this point and the only person to blame is the guy Ayton sees in the mirror.
I'm certainly not saying that Ayton is free from responsibility from his own lack of performance... you are imputing that.

I am saying that after five full seasons in the league with the same team and (mostly) the same coaches, if he is still not responding to their coaching, there is something fundamentally wrong with the coaching approach. At every level of coaching that I am aware of, if you have a player who isn't responding to the coach, the coach has a responsibility for the good of the team to either A) change how that player is being taught, B) discipline that player until they "get it," or C) failing all of that, remove that player from the team.

I (and you, and everyone else on this forum) are of course not privy to whether the Suns have ever attempted the first course of action. It certainly doesn't seem they have really ever done much of the second either. And the third remains to be seen... possibly this off season.

In any case, there is plenty of other evidence besides the case of Ayton that the coaching staff isn't great at imparting or managing other fundamentals for the team as a whole... team rebounding and elements of defense certainly jump out as particular examples. The Suns have had the advantage of great individual talent these last few years that has help obviate those shortcoming to get them to a certain point of success.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What the Suns need most from Ayton is defense, particularly establishing position for rebounds, blocking out and protecting the rim without fouling.

Better positioning alone on offense and defense it would be a tremendous help for his game.

He should be able to average 15 points a game even without plays being run for him.
15? There’s literally no one on the nuggets that should be capable of guarding him.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

Longley was pretty smart. Ayton's comp is more Olden Polynice. They have similar games.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
15? There’s literally no one on the nuggets that should be capable of guarding him.
U of A fan? Ayton plays 6.6 height max there are plenty of guys that can guard him. I think many, maybe thousands of Dolphins are smarter than Ayton. And the declining university of Arizona as a university is clouding your mind. Arizona stans, give it up. Stop letting your college basketball bias cloud reality, he is not what you hoped for, he just isn't. And you are not getting Monty's son either lol.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He knew the fundamentals 2 years ago, he just doesn't apply them anymore.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm certainly not saying that Ayton is free from responsibility from his own lack of performance... you are imputing that.

I am saying that after five full seasons in the league with the same team and (mostly) the same coaches, if he is still not responding to their coaching, there is something fundamentally wrong with the coaching approach. At every level of coaching that I am aware of, if you have a player who isn't responding to the coach, the coach has a responsibility for the good of the team to either A) change how that player is being taught, B) discipline that player until they "get it," or C) failing all of that, remove that player from the team.

I (and you, and everyone else on this forum) are of course not privy to whether the Suns have ever attempted the first course of action. It certainly doesn't seem they have really ever done much of the second either. And the third remains to be seen... possibly this off season.

In any case, there is plenty of other evidence besides the case of Ayton that the coaching staff isn't great at imparting or managing other fundamentals for the team as a whole... team rebounding and elements of defense certainly jump out as particular examples. The Suns have had the advantage of great individual talent these last few years that has help obviate those shortcoming to get them to a certain point of success.
I am obviously no fan of this coaching staff, but I think at this point to place anything less than 90% of the blame on Ayton is blinding yourself to just how deeply flawed Ayton is in terms of bball IQ and b all heart.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
U of A fan? Ayton plays 6.6 height max there are plenty of guys that can guard him. I think many, maybe thousands of Dolphins are smarter than Ayton. And the declining university of Arizona as a university is clouding your mind. Arizona stans, give it up. Stop letting your college basketball bias cloud reality, he is not what you hoped for, he just isn't. And you are not getting Monty's son either lol.
This is a hilarious post. Anyone want to clue squid to my opinions of Ayton? “Arizona stan.” lol.

Raindog

Reaction score
I am obviously no fan of this coaching staff, but I think at this point to place anything less than 90% of the blame on Ayton is blinding yourself to just how deeply flawed Ayton is in terms of bball IQ and b all heart.
Of course Ayton is flawed in those ways. I am not defending him. But that also doesn't excuse the coaching staff from doing a better job of getting him to be productive. It's not an "either or" proposition.

The bottom line is if Ayton goes somewhere else next year and is still a bum, than we will know he's just a bum. If he goes somewhere else and emerges as something better, we likewise will know that the coaching here was to some degree holding him back. End of debate.

I guess everyone can place their bets at what that outcome will be. For my part, I wouldn't be surprised by either outcome.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Of course Ayton is flawed in those ways. I am not defending him. But that also doesn't excuse the coaching staff from doing a better job of getting him to be productive. It's not an "either or" proposition.

The bottom line is if Ayton goes somewhere else next year and is still a bum, than we will know he's just a bum. If he goes somewhere else and emerges as something better, we likewise will know that the coaching here was to some degree holding him back. End of debate.

I guess everyone can place their bets at what that outcome will be. For my part, I wouldn't be surprised by either outcome.
Agreed. But personally I would be surprised if he becomes a dawg. He might put up numbers on a bad team with more opportunity, but I would be surprised if any coach ends up unlocking anything resembling toughness, drive, or desire/effort.