The Ayton Plan

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes just found it Ayton got 133 mil Suns could have given him 177mil. Big discount

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes just found it Ayton got 133 mil Suns could have given him 177mil. Big discount
As I understand it 133 Million is the MAX the he could have been given him in 4 year deals. So, on a 4 year contract he got the maximum allowed. On a 5 year deal they would have had to pay him 172.5 million.

So, there really was no discount at all. So, there was only a 4 year or 5 length option. He still got the maximum allowed on a 4 year deal. The Suns will be saving no money during those 4 years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it 133 Million is the MAX the he could have been given him in 4 year deals. So, on a 4 year contract he got the maximum allowed. On a 5 year deal they would have had to pay him 172.5 million.

So, there really was no discount at all. So, there was only a 4 year or 5 length option. He still got the maximum allowed on a 4 year deal. The Suns will be saving no money during those 4 years.

They're saving a small amount because of the raises each year. I think it's like 5-6 million over the 4 years in total.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
It’s really a matter of semantics. He has a Max slot in the salary cap structure. That makes him a MAX player as far as salary is concerned.
Right and it has NOTHING to do with my point. He's making too much f'n money to have to be poked to perform highly!

Superbone

Reaction score
We all already know this. Who can we replace him with without taking it in the rear?
Sabonis would have been perfect but #Suns
He keeps playing like tonight then we should just keep him. Is it just a matter of Ishbia being in the building? I thought tonight was his best game of the season.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He keeps playing like tonight then we should just keep him. Is it just a matter of Ishbia being in the building? I thought tonight was his best game of the season.
I noticed the new owner has been in the stadium at a game twice, and Ayton had his best games of the season BOTH times. Coincidence? Or just a guy bringing it in front of his new boss?

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
DA somehow doesn't bend his knees deep enough, the way all the euro players do including Doncic and our own Saric, so he can't head fake effectively to gain advantage close to basket. But his close and midrange shots are soft and deadly. And he can be a great facilitator playing two-man games with the guards. The plays desigened around him are the most effective first set options on offense. He just need to stop the bad habit of going for the turnaround jumper facing a small defender, really ugly sight indeed. All in all, he definitely belongs to the few elite centers in NBA, on offense. On defense, he has as most centers problem with switching to defend the perimeter, and we need rotation and help-D plans with very good excecution to cover this weakness. Mavs did great job on us in the playoffs that took away space our shooters used to have, by reading through opponents' traits and plan ahead. We did good job there the last two games vs Celtics and Pistons and got rewarded with wins.
All in all, with better coaching and proper motivation, sticking to DA may be the best choice for now.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I knew someone would come in pumping rainbows about DA stepping up against the vaunted front line of Detroit :p I would bet the house on the under as the 10M a yr Claxton will probably destroy him on Tues

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew someone would come in pumping rainbows about DA stepping up against the vaunted front line of Detroit :p I would bet the house on the under as the 10M a yr Claxton will probably destroy him on Tues
That won't be a shock given that Claxton has outplayed him all season and I can't recall the last time DA played with high intensity two games in a row. But that doesn't change the fact that Ayton played well last night nor that we probably are better off keeping him. He has far more value on his good days than we are likely to get in return for him otherwise most of us would be on the trade-him bandwagon.

And DA is just as likely to destroy a good front line player as a bad one, he's proven that many times throughout his short career. He can disappear against anyone, and can outplay most of them too. Off the top of my head, Embiid is probably the only quality center he hasn't matched up well against.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Pigs were flying last night.... I saw dunks with authority and multiple trips to the FT line. I will back off my hate if he would just put forth effort. Claxton still looked like an all star against him. AD needs to be this at min in order to make noise in the play-offs cuz the Suns will do nothing at the dead-line except dump Crowder

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If DA sees this as the team committing to him in some way and comes close to the level he’s currently playing at for the rest of his contract it’s going to be a crazy 3-4 years.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If DA sees this as the team committing to him in some way and comes close to the level he’s currently playing at for the rest of his contract it’s going to be a crazy 3-4 years.
KD will be good for DA. I've always said DA needs a real PF next to him. We just got the realist PF in the league.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Here's the reality.

The Suns aren't winning this year's title. Their roster might be good enough, but they haven't had time to learn how to play together, and either Durant or Booker (or both) will be banged up.

So then we're looking at 2023-24 at the one chance to justify the big trade. Ayton might still grow up into a dependable force, but it won't happen quickly enough, now that the Suns have abbreviated their timetable. He has to be traded this summer.

Depending on what you get in the trade, it might be time to move on from CP38 as well. Payne can't be the starter, but maybe the Suns can get a center and a PG for Ayton. Or maybe there's a way to trade Paul to a team looking for longer-term salary relief. Only half of his salary for next season is guaranteed, and none of it is in 2024-25.

One way or another, though, the Suns need to get tougher, smarter, and more confident, fast. They can't afford to wait on Ayton anymore. Sure, he might inch his way to the next half-level in a few years, but the team will be so bereft of assets by then that it won't matter.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the reality.

The Suns aren't winning this year's title. Their roster might be good enough, but they haven't had time to learn how to play together, and either Durant or Booker (or both) will be banged up.

So then we're looking at 2023-24 at the one chance to justify the big trade. Ayton might still grow up into a dependable force, but it won't happen quickly enough, now that the Suns have abbreviated their timetable. He has to be traded this summer.

Depending on what you get in the trade, it might be time to move on from CP38 as well. Payne can't be the starter, but maybe the Suns can get a center and a PG for Ayton. Or maybe there's a way to trade Paul to a team looking for longer-term salary relief. Only half of his salary for next season is guaranteed, and none of it is in 2024-25.

One way or another, though, the Suns need to get tougher, smarter, and more confident, fast. They can't afford to wait on Ayton anymore. Sure, he might inch his way to the next half-level in a few years, but the team will be so bereft of assets by then that it won't matter.
Yeah… I kinda just made the same point in the game thread.

That said, Payne MIGHT be okay as a starting PG. Book and KD are going to be the primary playmakers and Payne does seem to play better as a starter for some bizarre reason. That said, the sample size isn’t huge there so I can see being dubious at that idea.

Superbone

Reaction score
This belongs in the Ayton thread. Tells you everything you need to know about him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This belongs in the Ayton thread. Tells you everything you need to know about him.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He’s been delusional since Day 1 when he compared himself to KD. It’s hard to believe someone with this little self-awareness ever actually rises to his potential because he believes he’s already there.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Here's the reality.

If we have another CP38 meltdown, he has to go. It's not like he'll get more reliable with age.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He’s been delusional since Day 1 when he compared himself to KD. It’s hard to believe someone with this little self-awareness ever actually rises to his potential because he believes he’s already there.

I thought it was Shaq and Kobe 2.0

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its Kobe and Bynum 2.0
It’s lesser Kobe and Bynum. Despite what anyone here says, Booker just isn’t close to the player Kobe was. Kobe’s considered one of the top 10-15 players of all time. Booker is considered in and out of the top 10-15 players in the league right now.

Bynum is a good comp for Ayton though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose