The Ayton Plan

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was (maturity-wise) a very young 21 year old when my son was born. It definitely matured me in some ways but it also gave me someone to be a kid with. By the time he was 5 years old we were spending a lot of time together watching cartoons and playing Pong then advanced to video games as the fledgling industry developed. So, maybe yes, maybe no.

It is tough to compare us to pro athletes making millions on millions though.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It certainly will be interesting to see how Monty utilizes him. If it is more of the same as usual I think Ayton's same frustrations will show up again and it will lead to a trade.

If he makes an effort to make him a bigger part of the offense it will go a long way towards showing they are commited to him being a big part of the future.

We flat out cannot run the Chris Paul offense anymore. Ayton should be getting 17-20 shots a game. You can’t keep using him as a screener for Paul.

We have to do everything possible to save Paul for the post season. We can’t expect him to carry such a heavy load anymore. We’re gonna find out what kind of coach Monty is this season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
According to this James Jones told Ayton all along that he planned on resigning him. Told him again during a July 1st video call. So, it sounds like the Suns were fielding calls to trade Ayton but nothing ever reached serious talks. Likely because his value wasn't as high as expected on the available market. James Jones played this right. Without some blockbuster offer Ayton wasn't going anywhere. In the meantime, you tell Ayton your "plan" so you can say that was always the intention. JJ is no idiot.

There was still smoke though or the Indiana offer sheet NEVER would have happened. If Ayton's camp was totally convinced? They wouldn't have negotiated with Indiana to sign the offer sheet. They would have said, don't bother. It takes two to tango so Ayton's camp must have expressed interested to play there.

"Phoenix general manager James Jones said he told Ayton through the entire free agency process that he planned to re-sign him, including during a videoconference on July 1."

JJ was admittedly moving slow because of Durant--my guess is that DA got impatient, especially if rumors were true that Brooklyn didn't want him AND sign-and-trades were off the table. So he signed the offer sheet fully knowing the Suns would match.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
JJ was admittedly moving slow because of Durant--my guess is that DA got impatient, especially if rumors were true that Brooklyn didn't want him AND sign-and-trades were off the table. So he signed the offer sheet fully knowing the Suns would match.
I just don't quite understand why Indiana extended the offer sheet to him. I guess maybe Ayton's agent convinced them there was a remote possibility. Then there was that lame statement about "always wanting to play with Haliburton."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't quite understand why Indiana extended the offer sheet to him. I guess maybe Ayton's agent convinced them there was a remote possibility. Then there was that lame statement about "always wanting to play with Haliburton."
That's why I don't think Ayton's camp was totally convinced the Suns wouldn't trade him. I personally have no doubts had the right package come along (especially getting asset for a KD trade or a viable 3 way trade), Ayton would be gone. Given the lack of market value, the Nets not being interested in Ayton, likely played a huge role in how things turned out. I called it. The Suns were never going to say anything publicly other than something like "we always wanted him back". It's the smart thing to do.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Does it cost Indiana anything to do it? It might make it look like a rebuilding team is actually trying to look good in the eyes of their fanbase, prepping them for a few years of terrible records.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does it cost Indiana anything to do it? It might make it look like a rebuilding team is actually trying to look good in the eyes of their fanbase, prepping them for a few years of terrible records.

They just called the Suns bluff. Like asking a girl out worst she can say is no.

Indiana has never been terrible they have a really good organization and they are really good finding young talent. They have a lot of young pieces and they’ll be back in the playoffs in 2-3 years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They just called the Suns bluff. Like asking a girl out worst she can say is no.

Indiana has never been terrible they have a really good organization and they are really good finding young talent. They have a lot of young pieces and they’ll be back in the playoffs in 2-3 years.
Except that is not a bluff. A bluff would have been if the Suns has no intention of matching. They did unless they could get wanted they wanted for him. Ayton never got the market value the Suns were looking for. It wasn't a bluff. It was more like the Pacers were hoping all the rumors of Ayton not wanting to be there or that the Suns didn't want to pay him were true. Indiana had nothing to lose.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so, yes, as far back as July 1,
as i'd like to say i predicted in my crystal ball, but pure common sense would dictate,
the Suns intended to keep Ayton
and, since, never seemed worried about meeting the Nets' ridiculous demands for Durant

it was just the usual leveraging, muddied up by the hurt feelings of a youngster, and delayed by his money-grubbing agent who should have been open to a 4 year deal a year ago (and only damaged his client's reputation and his team's harmonious path to a championship by playing rock-hard ball)

something else crystalizing in my crystal ball (again)...

Bridges is not going anywhere either

carry on

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This will be interesting. Many on this board insisted vehemently that this outcome was absolutely impossible. The Suns apparently disagree, and we'll get to watch the season unfold to see who was right.
Good comments by all sides. Expected.

Curious what TJ hearing from Ayton camp behind scenes now?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They had to clear space. Likely didn’t lose anyone crucial, but maybe some projects that piqued their interest.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suppose, it's kinda what the Suns did with Aaron Gordon a few years ago.

Aside from Durant, I have always believed that this is what the Suns were going to do with Ayton. Let him hit free agency and them match whatever deal he gets. They just did not want to overpay him. Offering him less than the max was going to be insulting to him, so he hit the market and tried to get a better offer. The fact that there was a trade possibility and the Pacers would not give up anything extra for him showed where their limit was.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I suppose, it's kinda what the Suns did with Aaron Gordon a few years ago.

Aside from Durant, I have always believed that this is what the Suns were going to do with Ayton. Let him hit free agency and them match whatever deal he gets. They just did not want to overpay him. Offering him less than the max was going to be insulting to him, so he hit the market and tried to get a better offer. The fact that there was a trade possibility and the Pacers would not give up anything extra for him showed where their limit was.
Eric

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't think it's 99%.

My point is, I don't think the very best players are. They are more motivated by maximizing their skills and trying to create a legacy.

As far as Harden goes, I don't think he is dogging it, he has just lost a step, and if he has lost his ability to drive consistently his whole offensive game is severely compromised.
Generally speaking players getting their first extension will almost always take the biggest offer on the table. After that it isn't unheard to see guys taking less than the max in order to help keep a team together or to make their team stronger. Ayton really isn't in that position at the moment.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes. Indiana had everything to win and nothing to lose. The Suns reportedly lacked interest in doing a sign-and-trade with the Pacers so an offer sheet was their only choice.

Besides the Suns gifted them Warren and Smith in trade and even sweetened the deals with second round picks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so, yes, as far back as July 1,
as i'd like to say i predicted in my crystal ball, but pure common sense would dictate,
the Suns intended to keep Ayton
and, since, never seemed worried about meeting the Nets' ridiculous demands for Durant

it was just the usual leveraging, muddied up by the hurt feelings of a youngster, and delayed by his money-grubbing agent who should have been open to a 4 year deal a year ago (and only damaged his client's reputation and his team's harmonious path to a championship by playing rock-hard ball)

something else crystalizing in my crystal ball (again)...

Bridges is not going anywhere either

carry on
Ayton and his agent needed their feelings to be hurt a bit. He needed a dose of reality. He is good but not good enough to give up assets and the contract too.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton has his max money, and now i want to see a maximum presence of him on the court

-- i'm talking about him being a consistent factor.
someone to contend with,
whether or not he makes more shots, pulls down more rebounds, blocks more shots

-- having the kind of presence other stars have
sometimes playing 40 minutes
i don't want to hear about it being too taxing for a big man
it seems Embiid, Yannis, and Jokic can bear the burden.

Ayton is young and looks to be in superb physical condition
and yet, in my mind Ayton has been like a part-time center

let him learn to play through some foul troubles or foul out until he does learn

with Paul playing less minutes, Booker and Paul have to develop more chemistry and be a one-two punch or this season is futile

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Ayton has his max money, and now i want to see a maximum presence of him on the court

-- i'm talking about him being a consistent factor.
someone to contend with,
whether or not he makes more shots, pulls down more rebounds, blocks more shots

-- having the kind of presence other stars have
sometimes playing 40 minutes
i don't want to hear about it being too taxing for a big man
it seems Embiid, Yannis, and Jokic can bear the burden.
Ayton played 22 minutes in the second half and was key to the Suns' comeback. He was the best player on the floor for either team in that half. He and Booker had a great chemistry going, except for a couple of possessions toward the end where Booker decided he had to do things himself. Dallas got very few offensive rebounds in the second half and Ayton was a big part of that too.

The claim that Embiid can bear the burden of heavy minutes is pretty odd, since he's constantly injured. I agree that Ayton should be able to get himself into Jokic territory, which is 33-34 minutes per game.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Maybe Angry Ayton is a thing? If so, I like what I'm seeing. Just him dunking hard is a positive step.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose