The Ayton Plan

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
injuries aside, when Embiid is on the floor he has a consistent presence that has to be dealt with
Ayton fades in and out of relevance

it's on him, his coach, and teammates to maintain his relevance

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
last year Ayton averaged 30 per game
Jokic averaged 35 two years ago with a lot more luggage to carry
Embiid 34 last year
Giannis 33 the past 2 years and 37 when he was closer to Ayton's age

but, of course, i'm concerned more about quality of minutes than minutes

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe he will always be a laid back Bahama dude. If his present playing continues, I'd consider trading him in January or Summer if getting somebody good in return. I'd bet anything a team like San Antonio could turn him into something special.

You aren't the first to predict a team like San Antonio would turn him into something special and that's in line with the Suns luck but I'm not so sure. Monty comes from the Popovich tree and he's struggled to get consistent effort from him. Ayton might be the straw that broke Popovich and cause him to retire. Who knows. I just don't know if the light comes on elsewhere since he's been paid handsomely now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton looked totally disinterested tonight. I think he had the same stats at the end of the game that he had at half time.
Yeah, there was one play that made this obvious to me. Ayton was in the key fronting Gobert. The guard lobbed a soft pass to Rudy. DA could have easily intercepted the pass if he'd jumped just a little (might even have reached it on his tiptoes). Instead, he just stood there and watched the flight of the ball and the subsequent dunk. No emotion, no effort, nothing.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You aren't the first to predict a team like San Antonio would turn him into something special and that's in line with the Suns luck but I'm not so sure. Monty comes from the Popovich tree and he's struggled to get consistent effort from him. Ayton might be the straw that broke Popovich and cause him to retire. Who knows. I just don't know if the light comes on elsewhere since he's been paid handsomely now.

Monty ain’t Pop ain’t even close to being Pop

Monty and Ayton is a real thing at this point and it’s obvious.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Is Ayton the only big in the league that drops this in rather than dunking it with authority?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Ayton the only big in the league that drops this in rather than dunking it with authority?

Yes I commented to my wife even how does he not just slam that down. So so so many times he is trying to finesse in a layup from directly below the rim just dunk it you moron your 7 ft freaking tall it crazy! Doesn’t fight for rebounds either just stands there or gets boxed out by little guys. His flat out lack of effort I would bet is Monty’s main issue with him. Everyone not named DA seems to put forth tons of effort even if they don’t score well or play well they are trying DA looks like he’s sleepwalking!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This one isn’t even THAT bad for Ayton. There was a play against Philly where he was set up PERFECTLY at the rim, Embiid had totally been sucked in on the drive and instead of slamming that stuff on his head, he contorted himself to avoid any CHANCE of minimal contact and wildly bricked a layup off the backboard.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I WANT to love Ayton with all of my heart and if he played 1/4 as good as he talks I surely would.
But there's a softness there that I just don't like or understand.

I've reached my breaking point and at this moment I DONT CARE if he gets traded. We could get 2 centers that do what he does at the same price or less.
I'm loyal to a fault and loyalty is very important to me but loyalty is earned and so far this season I feel nothing for or from DA.

I hope I'm wrong but DA is not a Sun next season if his performance remains the same.

This message brought to you by Woody Creek potato vodka.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I WANT to love Ayton with all of my heart and if he played 1/4 as good as he talks I surely would.
But there's a softness there that I just don't like or understand.

I've reached my breaking point and at this moment I DONT CARE if he gets traded. We could get 2 centers that do what he does at the same price or less.
I'm loyal to a fault and loyalty is very important to me but loyalty is earned and so far this season I feel nothing for or from DA.

I hope I'm wrong but DA is not a Sun next season if his performance remains the same.

This message brought to you by Woody Creek potato vodka.
I hear you Muggz. I too backed and wanted Ayton to succeed. Now I'm wondering if Ayton has the heart & passion needed for the game & to be a winner. I tell you Brooklyn's young 6'11" center Nick Claxton seems to have more heart & drive than Ayton from the games that I've seen Claxton play in. He may not possess Ayton talent but his motor seems far superior to Ayton's. Ayton needs step up or step out before the trade deadline. Suns need a productive Center which they thought Ayton was 4 year ago and not a player who talks a good game but rather one who brings a good game night in night out.

Last edited:

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I hear you Muggz. I too backed and wanted Ayton to succeed. Now I'm wondering if Ayton has the heart & passion needed for the game & to be a winner. I tell you Brooklyn's young 6'11" center Nick Claxton seems to have more heart & drive than Ayton from the games that I've seen Claxton play in. He may not possess Ayton talent but his motor seems far superior to Ayton's. Ayton needs step up or step out before the trade deadline. Suns need a productive Center which they thought Ayton was 4 year ago and not a player who talks a good game but rather one who brings a good game night in night out.
Crowder & Ayton to ATL for Capela & Bogdonovich

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Crowder & Ayton to ATL for Capela & Bogdonovich
I was actually thinking about Capela last night as a possible option. Better defensively, better rebounding and a great lob threat. What sucks is he won’t be able to have the touch DA offers but idk…DA’s head isn’t in it. It’s so disappointing. We all know what he could be, but he goes through the motions during games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals and Suns FINALLY get number one picks, take guys at position of need for over 30 years (QB and C) and both are dispassionate disappointments who will never come close to reaching the potential of their physical gifts because both are mentally soft and have no awareness of their own weaknesses, whatsoever.

What a cluster frack.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton hasn't improved at all on offense since his rookie year. He still can't dribble. His problem isn't his aggressiveness his problem is that he doesn't have many skills. On days when he's not aggressive he'll shoot 10 high quality shots and make 8. On days when he is aggressive, he'll shoot 10 high quality shots and 10 crappy shots and make 8.

His defensive ratings are now as bad as they were in his second year and this is his worst rebounding season of his career. His PER was 20, 20, 20, 21 in his first 4 years and is now 17.

Watching him as a rookie it was clear that he wasn't going to get significantly better. He never had any flashes of potential for growth. Remember all of those posts about how good he was "for his age"? Well he's now older and worse.