The Ayton Plan

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton hasn't improved at all on offense since his rookie year. He still can't dribble. His problem isn't his aggressiveness his problem is that he doesn't have many skills. On days when he's not aggressive he'll shoot 10 high quality shots and make 8. On days when he is aggressive, he'll shoot 10 high quality shots and 10 crappy shots and make 8.

His defensive ratings are now as bad as they were in his second year and this is his worst rebounding season of his career. His PER was 20, 20, 20, 21 in his first 4 years and is now 17.

Watching him as a rookie it was clear that he wasn't going to get significantly better. He never had any flashes of potential for growth. Remember all of those posts about how good he was "for his age"? Well he's now older and worse.
Some people just don't have the "heart" for competitive sports. I think that's what were looking at in Aytons case.
He CAN turn it on and play well sometimes but usually ends up watching most of the game instead of playing.
Even when he's on the court I catch him watching the game being played around him.

Maybe they told him he was gonna be traded and to pick a team he wants to go to in Jan, Who knows.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Some people just don't have the "heart" for competitive sports. I think that's what were looking at in Aytons case.
He CAN turn it on and play well sometimes but usually ends up watching most of the game instead of playing.
Even when he's on the court I catch him watching the game being played around him.

Maybe they told him he was gonna be traded and to pick a team he wants to go to in Jan, Who knows.
He still may be traded. If so, he may think, why go all out. Save it for my new team. He was never going to be the new age shoot from three center. He's a mid range, Karl Malone type big man. Unfortunately, without the Karl Malone moves and aggression. Back in the seventies, every big man had moves. Maybe there's not that many guys around from the old days to teach how to be a banging big man. Not many of them exist today. Everyone wants to have no contact and shoot threes. It's not just Ayton. It's almost the state of the NBA big man.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ayton hits the shmeed too much. He was coming around his sophomore year but has regressed since. I forgot about the suspension too.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He still may be traded. If so, he may think, why go all out. Save it for my new team. He was never going to be the new age shoot from three center. He's a mid range, Karl Malone type big man. Unfortunately, without the Karl Malone moves and aggression. Back in the seventies, every big man had moves. Maybe there's not that many guys around from the old days to teach how to be a banging big man. Not many of them exist today. Everyone wants to have no contact and shoot threes. It's not just Ayton. It's almost the state of the NBA big man.
The frustrating part is he has damn near everything he needs to THRIVE in todays NBA. With someone like Pop as a coach he probably would be.
Its starting to look like maybe the front office has no idea how to develop players. Stix for example, giving the Pacers 11 and 7 in 24 min this year so far, that's kinda what WE drafted him for.? Traded for Craig whos had decent games for us but gives us half of what Stix is doing in the same time played.

I have to think JJ has some cards up his sleeve because WTAF?
From the outside lookin in so far "I'm not impressed with his performance".

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Stix for example, giving the Pacers 11 and 7 in 24 min this year so far, that's kinda what WE drafted him for.?

On 30% shooting from three. He's a chucker on a mediocre team. It's time to stop pining over Smith. Had the Suns kept him, he might be a minor trade asset, but he wouldn't be a contributor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eventually, Stix may be able to transition to power forward. The Suns weren't willing to accept less or wait.

Stix is an ideal backup small ball center. When the Suns used him in this role, he thrived.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
On 30% shooting from three. He's a chucker on a mediocre team. It's time to stop pining over Smith. Had the Suns kept him, he might be a minor trade asset, but he wouldn't be a contributor.

I too agree it's also time to move on from how the Suns did him because clearly he's a year behind on his development and there is certainly something there. He is learning and performing in a new position (He is playing the Poward Forward postion next to another Center) after 2 years of...again his story is still being written and very far from being done done.

And that team is not mediocre at all. It is young, newly formed team gelling and learning. Of its 6 losses, 2 were 10-14, the other 4 losses were by a possession or two. They are on a winning streak now and recently beat a team the Suns lost to (FACTS, not opinion) . They are on a trajectory to be in 2 years what the Suns were in 2020-2021. A team starting to hit its contending stride. Only difference the team will be younger and homegrown.

If he's still trash now playing a new postion, next to a center averaging 11/7 in 20 minutes, then what will he be after 2 years of development & a larger role? Guess we have to wait and see cuz nobody knows but...that tragectory has to be the reason why the Suns keep checking on him.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I too agree it's also time to move on from how the Suns did him because clearly he's a year behind on his development and there is certainly something there. He is learning and performing in a new position (He is playing the Poward Forward postion next to another Center) after 2 years of...again his story is still being written and very far from being done done.

And that team is not mediocre at all. It is young, newly formed team gelling and learning. Of its 6 losses, 2 were 10-14, the other 4 losses were by a possession or two. They are on a winning streak now and recently beat a team the Suns lost to (FACTS, not opinion) . They are on a trajectory to be in 2 years what the Suns were in 2020-2021. A team starting to hit its contending stride. Only difference the team will be younger and homegrown.
Yeah that backcourt is going to be potentially the best in the league. They’ll rival Trae/dejountey.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
That team consistently has 5 to 6 players in double digits every game with a different group doing so each time.

And Stix is one of the 5 that average double digits and plays the least amount of minutes but he should be playing more and have a bigger role to accelerate his development, most think that will come after the trade or next sesaon

That team is not mediocre at all. It's a fun team to watch & if they stay in tact, year 2 or 3 they will be younger version of the Suns.

They are a balanced team with very young legs for years to come.

Hali talking about a play he made to Stix
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:
OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

But last year, the narrative on this board was that the Pacers had unlocked his potential by playing him at center, when the Suns had been fools to have him at PF. Which is it?

And that team is not mediocre at all. It is young, newly formed team gelling and learning. Of its 6 losses, 2 were 10-14, the other 4 losses were by a possession or two.

We may have different understandings of what "mediocre" means. They are 7-6 against a weak schedule, which to me screams approximately average. Every team has close losses, so having some of your losses be close doesn't mean they weren't losses.

They are on a winning streak now and recently beat a team the Suns lost to (FACTS, not opinion) . They are on a trajectory to be in 2 years what the Suns were in 2020-2021.

You mean by adding someone like Chris Paul? The Suns' trajectory prior to the Paul trade was nowhere. That's why they rolled the dice on the trade.

Guess we have to wait and see cuz nobody knows but...that tragectory has to be the reason why the Suns keep checking on him.

Who says the Suns keep checking on him? His former teammates, you mean, out of friendship? That could be.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yeah, he's done. Time to trade him when we can. I cant see a situation in which Ayton gets better.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
He's producing at the poward forward spot next to center producing more than Ayton right now. That's all that matters. Put him a Center he produces to for the Pacers at a higher rate when Myles was out. So.

Suns lost to one of weak schedule teams the Pacers won against

In essence the Pacers on a path to be like the Suns as is, adding a CP3 like player may push them over too.

The man himself says so in interviews the coaching staff. Friendship is one thing but he says the Suns talk to him about his play with the Pacers. Why the Suns helping or care about the Pacers get better? They are watching like the other 28 teams are watching around the league. Probably more so because they like vets.

Last edited:

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh I'm over it. Just pointing out that Craig is what he is. But Stix will improve.
Plus we could have drafted one of the 5 other guys that are rolling atm instead of taking a chance and giving up. Quickly IMO

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I thought tonight was his best game of the season.
And that says something because for long stretches he looked dreadful. If 17 and 10 against a team that doesn’t really have a guy who should cause him problems is the best he can do, he’s a bum.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think Aytons check out this is just clasic Ayton. No show first half really good second half.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Aytons check out this is just clasic Ayton. No show first half really good second half.

Monty needs to pull Ayton when he doesn't show up.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson