The Ayton Plan

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is what flex is saying don’t be surprised if we trade Ayton for what looks like a lot of nothing then use those pieces for a bigger fish
Flex also said that DA was going to be maxed last offseason and when it didnt materialize, he went into James Jones mouthpiece mode. He's very hot and cold and is doing nothing more than hedging his bets here.

Follow the behavior of the team. They're scouting likely first-round picks when they have no draft picks. They're likely preparing for a DA deal that includes early to mid first round picks.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Agreed. I think a combo of those assets would be more likely. I doubt the Suns would want a maxed Miles Bridges in return.

But I'm going to have to pass if we're only getting PJ Washington who is their 5th or 6th best player and mid first round picks for Ayton.

I don't think Miles Bridges is a max player and I would think he just looking for a contract similar to Mikhal Bridges.

My biggest concern is they just don't want to spend. I can understand if they determine that paying ayton $30m per season is not worth it but I would hope they decide to use those funds on real contributors. I think miles Bridges is a real contributor and would get minutes on a playoff team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know everyone thinks sign and trade. Knowing our history with Sarver, I would not put it passed Sarver to just let Ayton walk. It helps the luxury tax situation a bunch. They could extend Cam Johnson, Max Booker, and journeyman the center position. Not betting the house on this, but I would not be surprised if this happened.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know everyone thinks sign and trade. Knowing our history with Sarver, I would not put it passed Sarver to just let Ayton walk. It helps the luxury tax situation a bunch. They could extend Cam Johnson, Max Booker, and journeyman the center position. Not betting the house on this, but I would not be surprised if this happened.

The Suns wouldn't have to take more than $19 million back in a sign and trade for Deandre Ayton.

Phoenix easily use any draft picks received to move expiring contracts such as Crowder, Saric or Craig to save money or help acquire a star if they decide to spend.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Sarver is A) a crumb, and B) is never going to "learn his lesson." So I fully expect that whatever eventually happens with Ayton's situation is going to end up making all of us disgusted... unless somehow Sarver is out of the picture beforehand.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Suns wouldn't have to take more than $19 million back in a sign and trade for Deandre Ayton.

Phoenix easily use any draft picks received to move expiring contracts such as Crowder, Saric or Craig to save money or help acquire a star if they decide to spend.
True, but the more articles I read on how this can be done, for example, only 5 teams could take back a max contract for Ayton, and some of those are problematic. Things get even harder if a team goes over the cap to acquire Ayton. Even then, we end up with the same exceptions to acquire players. If we sign and trade the best way to make things work is to trade other pieces, and most likely a valuable one, like Bridges, or Cam Johnson. We let Ayton walk we keep Bridges and Cam Johnson. I am just saying, I wouldn't rule out letting Ayton walk as an option. Sun fans would howl, letting Ayton walk, but what players would we get in a trade better than Bridges or Cam Johnson? Just don't rule it out is all I am saying.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but the more articles I read on how this can be done, for example, only 5 teams could take back a max contract for Ayton, and some of those are problematic. Things get even harder if a team goes over the cap to acquire Ayton. Even then, we end up with the same exceptions to acquire players. If we sign and trade the best way to make things work is to trade other pieces, and most likely a valuable one, like Bridges, or Cam Johnson. We let Ayton walk we keep Bridges and Cam Johnson. I am just saying, I wouldn't rule out letting Ayton walk as an option. Sun fans would howl, letting Ayton walk, but what players would we get in a trade better than Bridges or Cam Johnson? Just don't rule it out is all I am saying.

I'm not ruling out anything but unless the Suns take back low quality assets in a sign and trade they should be easily able to move them and perhaps even attach some of them (picks) to expiring contracts which could save money.

I think there are enough teams interested in Ayton they should get a good return.

If a team wants to wait out the moratorium on a sign and trade they will have to wait from July 1st until July 8th for the Suns to match an offer sheet. That's a long time for a team to tie up their money while the other free agents are gobbled up.

The Suns do not have to extend Cam Johnson this off season. They could wait for him to become a restricted free agent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sarver is A) a crumb, and B) is never going to "learn his lesson." So I fully expect that whatever eventually happens with Ayton's situation is going to end up making all of us disgusted... unless somehow Sarver is out of the picture beforehand.

The NBA investigation should be completed soon. Who knows what will happen.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If a team wants to wait out the moratorium on a sign and trade they will have to wait from July 1st until July 8th for the Suns to match an offer sheet. That's a long time for a team to tie up their money while the other free agents are gobbled up

The moratorium is for all transactions. Ayton can't officially sign with anyone until July 8th, even the Suns. The NBA is basically closed for business that week. Deals are agreed to during that time but not signed until the moratorium passes. The soonest a team can sign a RFA to an offer sheet is that July 8th date and then they have to sit and wait 2 days to here whether their team will match.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

If James Jones lets Ayton walk, he should be fired on the spot. That’s complete malpractice for a guy who’s made a series of bad decisions the last couple of years.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The moratorium is for all transactions. Ayton can't officially sign with anyone until July 8th, even the Suns. The NBA is basically closed for business that week. Deals are agreed to during that time but not signed until the moratorium passes. The soonest a team can sign a RFA to an offer sheet is that July 8th date and then they have to sit and wait 2 days to here whether their team will match.

Yes, but it will greatly hinder their ability to negotiate. Negotiations with all other free agents From July 1st to July 10 will be led with the qualifier of "if". There's a finite amount of money and free agents will be coming to terms within hours of the start of the negotiating period. Waiting over a week to see if the Suns match could be a huge risk.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long is this damn thing gonna take

One can only guess but I think there is a good chance the results of the NBA investigation are announced this summer sometime after the playoffs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't believe the part in bold is correct.

As I understand it, NBA restricted free agents can begin negotiating with other teams July 1st through the 6th during the moratorium.

They can sign an offer sheet on July 6th. The Suns would then have two days to match which would be by July 8th. So signings wouldn't become official until that date.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't believe the part in bold is correct.

As I understand it, NBA restricted free agents can begin negotiating with other teams July 1st through the 6th during the moratorium.

They can sign an offer sheet on July 6th. The Suns would then have two days to match which would be by July 8th. So signings wouldn't become official until that date.

You're right, I didn't double checks the date and was only going by an estimate based on July 1st being the day negotiations can begin.

The point still stands, a RFA can't sign anyone to an offer sheet until the end of the moratorium and then there's a 48 hour wait to see whether the original team matches.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Sarver learned his lesson during the Nash era. He's talked about inheriting a contender and mistakingly thinking it was easy and confessing to the mistakes he made not going all in. And in recent interviews he said that now is the time to spend. I just don't see the Suns letting Ayton walk.
If the Suns keep Ayton and resign McGee (with the MLE) we become the team with the highest luxury payroll tax in the NBA. We are not the Lakers. What makes you think Sarver would ever do that? Not a shot in heck he lets that happen which means expect other guys on this roster to go bye bye. Bank on it and they will be replaced with scrubs or potential guys to keep payroll down.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns keep Ayton and resign McGee (with the MLE) we become the team with the highest luxury payroll tax in the NBA. We are not the Lakers. What makes you think Sarver would ever do that? Not a shot in heck he lets that happen which means expect other guys on this roster to go bye bye. Bank on it and they will be replaced with scrubs or potential guys to keep payroll down.
If we had won it all I think Sarver would have spent what it took to keep the team competitive. As it is, even without the investigation looming, I have no idea which way he'll go.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we had won it all I think Sarver would have spent what it took to keep the team competitive. As it is, even without the investigation looming, I have no idea which way he'll go.
There is nothing in Sarver's past that would leave me to believe he would carry the highest in the NBA. Nothing. He is a banker. More pragmatic. He wants to see a return but also keep expenses down. It's his DNA.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'm flabbergasted that anyone wouldn't jump all over this one.

Bridges is a legit #2 scoring option, is a very good defender and he has gotten significantly better each season. The guy is a borderline All-Star.

PJ Washington is nothing to sneeze at either. A solid rotation stretch 4.

Plus 3 first round picks... picks that I am guessing would all be late to mid lotto.

That is a haul. I'd be floored if that is a real option. It's waaaaaaaaay better than any of the other imagined deals that have been kicked around. Barring a superstar getting really disgruntled in the next month, I don't see how we'd get anything better.

Nurkic is a solid player but is hurt a lot and not a good defender, Poeltl, in my mind, is just "a guy", not an impact player at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted that anyone wouldn't jump all over this one.

Bridges is a legit #2 scoring option, is a very good defender and he has gotten significantly better each season. The guy is a borderline All-Star.

PJ Washington is nothing to sneeze at either. A solid rotation stretch 4.

Plus 3 first round picks... picks that I am guessing would all be late to mid lotto.

That is a haul. I'd be floored if that is a real option. It's waaaaaaaaay better than any of the other imagined deals that have been kicked around. Barring a superstar getting really disgruntled in the next month, I don't see how we'd get anything better.

Nurkic is a solid player but is hurt a lot and not a good defender, Poeltl, in my mind, is just "a guy", not an impact player at all.

They lost me at the word "could."

Also the 15th and 16th picks couldn't be conveyed until there is a sign and trade. The draft occurs before restricted free agency.

The Suns would want future picks if they want to pursue a star.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
There is nothing in Sarver's past that would leave me to believe he would carry the highest in the NBA. Nothing. He is a banker. More pragmatic. He wants to see a return but also keep expenses down. It's his DNA.

That's the tricky part. We don't know what's more pragmatic- how much money do you make when you suck, how much money do you make when you are mediocre, how much money do you make when you are really really good? He started with a title contender, and spend a decade in complete crap show after a year or two of mediocrity, and now he is back as a contender. Those numbers are important, and we don't have access to them. My guess is that paying the tax (to some degree) might be more profitable than letting the team get worse. All we can do is speculate, which is fine, but speculation is all that it is. Paying the tax for a couple of years till the new TV contracts kick in might be the most pragmatic thing to do. Spend X for two years, save X+Y in the long run.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the tricky part. We don't know what's more pragmatic- how much money do you make when you suck, how much money do you make when you are mediocre, how much money do you make when you are really really good? He started with a title contender, and spend a decade in complete crap show after a year or two of mediocrity, and now he is back as a contender. Those numbers are important, and we don't have access to them. My guess is that paying the tax (to some degree) might be more profitable than letting the team get worse. All we can do is speculate, which is fine, but speculation is all that it is. Paying the tax for a couple of years till the new TV contracts kick in might be the most pragmatic thing to do. Spend X for two years, save X+Y in the long run.
Yeah there would have been a huge windfall for the organization if we had won it all, so there'd be incentive for him to pay out big money for awhile. But as it is, I just don't know what he'll do especially with the investigation results looming. Although I think he already knows the results and what the NBA is going to demand of him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah there would have been a huge windfall for the organization if we had won it all, so there'd be incentive for him to pay out big money for awhile. But as it is, I just don't know what he'll do especially with the investigation results looming. Although I think he already knows the results and what the NBA is going to demand of him.

I tend to agree. It's really hard to tell. Had they won it all, I would have zero doubt that he wouldn't give a crap about the luxury tax, but not sure what's going though his head now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard