The Ayton Plan

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They lost me at the word "could."

Also the 15th and 16th picks couldn't be conveyed until there is a sign and trade. The draft occurs before restricted free agency.

The Suns would want future picks if they want to pursue a star.
I wouldn't care when the picks conveyed, that would be a good deal either way.

And if the Suns actually preferred the picks this year (which I agree with you is unlikely) they could have a handshake deal in place before the draft, there is no end to the shenanigans teams pull.

But to be clear, I view that trade as extremely unlikely. That would be good value for an already signed Ayton, it is mind blowing value for an RFA.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And if the Suns actually preferred the picks this year (which I agree with you is unlikely) they could have a handshake deal in place before the draft, there is no end to the shenanigans teams pull.

But to be clear, I view that trade as extremely unlikely. That would be good value for an already signed Ayton, it is mind blowing value for an RFA.
I think it's unlikely too but I don't value it as highly as you do, not once I saw that Miles Bridges was expecting a max deal. He's a pretty good player but I don't see him as a max player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trading two restricted free agents (Deandre Ayton and Miles Bridges) for each other would be interesting for sure. I'm not even sure how that works. They might get upset at each other's offer.

I think it's all conjecture. Actually, the Hornets have the 13th and 15th picks in the first round.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kevin Zimmerman of Arizona Sports writes about some trade ideas for Deandre Ayton but I'm not sure how some of these get done if the Suns are limited to taking back only $19 million in a sign and trade.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I would definitely prefer that proposed Charlotte trade over anything else I have heard... although it sounds a bit like wishful thinking, too. If nothing else, if the Suns do decide to trade Ayton, they had better do their level best to create some competition and drive up the price instead of settling for the first (cheap) offer they receive.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kevin Zimmerman of Arizona Sports writes about some trade ideas for Deandre Ayton but I'm not sure how some of these get done if the Suns are limited to taking back only $19 million in a sign and trade.

OG/Achiuwa combo would provide some athleticism (you like Precious). Portland got nothing we want.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted that anyone wouldn't jump all over this one.

Bridges is a legit #2 scoring option, is a very good defender and he has gotten significantly better each season. The guy is a borderline All-Star.

PJ Washington is nothing to sneeze at either. A solid rotation stretch 4.

Plus 3 first round picks... picks that I am guessing would all be late to mid lotto.

That is a haul. I'd be floored if that is a real option. It's waaaaaaaaay better than any of the other imagined deals that have been kicked around. Barring a superstar getting really disgruntled in the next month, I don't see how we'd get anything better.

Nurkic is a solid player but is hurt a lot and not a good defender, Poeltl, in my mind, is just "a guy", not an impact player at all.

He’s not a #2 at all. Booker is a 2. Miles Bridges benefited greatly from Melo coming into his own.

I view Bridges kind of on the same level as our Bridges. He’s a solid piece but if your counting on him to be a major contributor he’s not that guys.

On top of that he’s going to want to get paid here pretty quick

The draft picks are where the gold is. Those 3 plus owning all of our own could get us a big time player

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That writer doesn't know what he's talking about in a number of those deals. He gets the financials of a trade wrong repeatedly and also doesn't have contracts of other players correct, like Capela having signed an extension last off season but listed as expiring here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That writer doesn't know what he's talking about in a number of those deals. He gets the financials of a trade wrong repeatedly and also doesn't have contracts of other players correct, like Capela having signed an extension last off season but listed as expiring here.

Yeah, I don't think some of the financials work either.

PHNX Suns Podcast has some combination sign and trades with Deandre Ayton where they tried to work out the math.

However they are combining players in some of the trades which I wasn't sure was possible without a third team. Anyway it's worth a look on YouTube.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OG/Achiuwa combo would provide some athleticism (you like Precious). Portland got nothing we want.

Portland has Josh Hart and that's about it.

OG Anunoby and Precious Achiuwa are definitely attractive from Toronto.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Anfernee Simmons and nassir little but I don’t think the trade works nor do i think they’d send those guys to us.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the tricky part. We don't know what's more pragmatic- how much money do you make when you suck, how much money do you make when you are mediocre, how much money do you make when you are really really good? He started with a title contender, and spend a decade in complete crap show after a year or two of mediocrity, and now he is back as a contender. Those numbers are important, and we don't have access to them. My guess is that paying the tax (to some degree) might be more profitable than letting the team get worse. All we can do is speculate, which is fine, but speculation is all that it is. Paying the tax for a couple of years till the new TV contracts kick in might be the most pragmatic thing to do. Spend X for two years, save X+Y in the long run.
Sarver is too risk averse as most bankers are. He isn't going to spend the most for the hopes of a good return. He will spend enough in hopes of getting a great return.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Ooooo, I like the sound of that deal for Bledsoe, though... maybe we can get the Morris brothers back, too? Anyone know what Michael Beasley is up to?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm flabbergasted that anyone wouldn't jump all over this one.

Bridges is a legit #2 scoring option, is a very good defender and he has gotten significantly better each season. The guy is a borderline All-Star.

PJ Washington is nothing to sneeze at either. A solid rotation stretch 4.

Plus 3 first round picks... picks that I am guessing would all be late to mid lotto.

That is a haul. I'd be floored if that is a real option. It's waaaaaaaaay better than any of the other imagined deals that have been kicked around. Barring a superstar getting really disgruntled in the next month, I don't see how we'd get anything better.

Nurkic is a solid player but is hurt a lot and not a good defender, Poeltl, in my mind, is just "a guy", not an impact player at all.
Wow. It would be very hard not to jump at this. Although you are also admitting your run for a title is over. This isn't going to make you a contender next year IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anfernee Simmons and nassir little but I don’t think the trade works nor do i think they’d send those guys to us.

I haven't watched as much of Nassir Little but I think Anfernee Simons has star potential. He looks to be a combo guard. It's hard to see Portland trading him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I've seen this here but I forget, how long before you can trade Ayton is he signs his deal with us and how long if we simply match his offer? Is it a year for both of them?

Whatever it is, keep him and then trade him when the time comes (if necessary). All these rumored deals are crap, even the ones where posters are saying hey that deal looks good. They're crap.

He's an impactful 7 foot child that's still only striking the surface of what he can be. You don't give that away for role players and picks in the mid-teens. And that's the best rumored deal we've seen.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I know I've seen this here but I forget, how long before you can trade Ayton is he signs his deal with us and how long if we simply match his offer? Is it a year for both of them?

Whatever it is, keep him and then trade him when the time comes (if necessary). All these rumored deals are crap, even the ones where posters are saying hey that deal looks good. They're crap.

He's an impactful 7 foot child that's still only striking the surface of what he can be. You don't give that away for role players and picks in the mid-teens. And that's the best rumored deal we've seen.
That’s my feelings as well. You’re not going to get fair value for him at this point. Match a contract offer and give it another year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If he simply signs with us then we can't trade him until December 15th.

If we match an offer then we can't trade him to the team that signed him to that offer sheet for a year. I believe we need his permission to trade him in the first year of a matched offer sheet also but I'm not 100% on that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I heard the Suns can trade Ayton as early as December 15th if it's not a match offer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was wrong. They can't trade until January 15th and can not trade him to a team that signed him to an offer sheet.

If the signing of a new contract with a “Bird” or “Early Bird” free agent causes a team’s team salary to exceed the salary cap and the player’s first-year salary in that new contract is more than 120% above the player’s salary in the prior season, then the player may not be traded until the later of 3 months after they sign or January 15

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s ridiculous that a guy that efficient only gets 12 shots a game. How many times have we seen Ayton just come out on fire and then they just stop going to him.

Sign him and you start the season making him a legit offensive option get him involved don’t let his focus wonder. Showcase him and then you pull the trigger at the deadline if you still want to trade him

But Monty won’t do that

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You’re 100% right. The multiple pieces for the best player in the deal almost never works out for the team receiving the multiple pieces. Maybe the lone exception I can recall is the Pels deal with Davis. There it worked out for both as the lakers got a title and the Pels got a big boost in rebuilding.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s ridiculous that a guy that efficient only gets 12 shots a game. How many times have we seen Ayton just come out on fire and then they just stop going to him.

Sign him and you start the season making him a legit offensive option get him involved don’t let his focus wonder. Showcase him and then you pull the trigger at the deadline if you still want to trade him

But Monty won’t do that

Ayton has trouble creating his shot. He needs to work on some mid-range moves and learn to post up with his foot near the restricted area so he doesn't have to dribble.

Also Ayton needs to quit bringing the ball down low especially since his handles are not the best. The Mavericks shouldn't have been able to guard him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this has been posted before but it bears repeating. Ayton needs far too much help creating his own shot.

By Evan Sidery May 30 2022 6:34PM MST Basketball News:

A fatal flaw that prevents Ayton from being mentioned in the top tier of big men is his lack of self-creation ability, which he's failed to develop throughout his first four seasons with the Suns.
According to Cleaning The Glass, 74.8% of Ayton's shots have been assisted on in his career. Compared to his max-salary counterparts, Ayton is nowhere close on self-creation capabilities. And at this point, I have serious doubts that this will ever become a consistent part of his game during his upcoming prime years.

Percentage of FGs Assisted in 2021-22

Deandre Ayton: 81%

Rudy Gobert: 72%

Nikola Jokic: 62%

Karl-Anthony Towns: 62%

Bam Adebayo: 61%

Joel Embiid: 54%

Giannis Antetokounmpo: 43%

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members