The Ayton Plan

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Poeltl might be serviceable with the Suns. As the Suns really don't seem to value the center position too much anyway. And maybe a little has to do with what they got from McGhee @ $5 million and Bismack @ $1+ million vs. giving up $30 million to Ayton. But why trade down #1 draft pick talent wise for Poeltl & fillers? Of course $ factors in greatly because we are talking about the Suns. Maybe Poeltl works better under the Spurs as Pop and Spurs are know to squeeze as much talent out of their players as possible under their system and Suns not so much. We don't have the inside info on Ayton and Monty. Is their relationship beyond repair, or do the Suns think they can't tap into Ayton's potential and draw out the player that's possibly there or is money the primary deciding factor? Rumor has it Monty wasn't so please with Paul either at times too. As Paul is known to be demanding & overbearing. Here's where I would go but that means nothing. I would get rid of Paul before Ayton but with trade rules you couldn't reduce the payroll because what you trade out you have to take back in or close to. So Suns as usual in a place where they will get taken in trade of Ayton. We are not going to get equal value for Ayton. Lakers would love to have him and I think Ayton would prosper there if that went down but they have nothing but an Injury prone Anthony Davis who's value is going down the tube and LeBron is far too old so I wouldn't want him or later Junior aka Bronny. Ayton needs to take a $23-25 million a year contract from the Suns if they would be in agreement and he still be young enough to get a max on the next max time. Both parties share the blame and both parties have to give in negotiating. We were very close in 2021and individual feelings have to be put on the back burner & a team effort is needed to win that championship and make it work by being professional. That melt down of the Suns vs Mavs was everyone's fault. It's a team & organizational effort always. Finger pointing & feelings aside. They have to be flexible in a give & take situation or foil and go their separate ways by rolling the dice. And that's what it is looking like the rolling of the dice. The Suns are and have been a long work in trying to progress. Maybe one day..Go Suns!

You are correct the Suns are not going to get equal value in a sign and trade for Ayton.

The only way it remotely makes sense is they receive a potential young star in return still on a rookie contract, filler and a boatload of first round picks they can use in a later trade.

The only player that checks the box for me is Haliburton and I don't think the Pacers are trading him.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I just don't believe DA will take less than a max offer directly from us. If we're not going to max him then we have to match the offer he gets even if he asks us not to. Worst case we have an unhappy player to trade a year later but I don't believe Ayton will make too much of it.
It was wishful thinking he would take less.I just hate to drop the development after 4 years.But it is what it is. Changes are coming for sure.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if there is any way we can turn assets that we get in an Ayton s&t, Cam Johnson, and our expirings into Siakam.

Ayton to the Spurs for Peoltl, Vassell, and picks. Picks, Cam Johnson, expirings (Crowder and Saric) to Toronto. Siakam to the Suns.

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Siakam
Poeltl

Siakam would give Booker an equal with a fading CP3. Siakam can handle the ball a bit and is a playmaker which would take pressure off Book and CP3.

This would be unlikely but probably best case scenario IMO. Toronto would have to be wanting to rebuild and would likely want Bridges over Cam if they were even interested.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if there is any way we can turn assets that we get in an Ayton s&t, Cam Johnson, and our expirings into Siakam.

Ayton to the Spurs for Peoltl, Vassell, and picks. Picks, Cam Johnson, expirings (Crowder and Saric) to Toronto. Siakam to the Suns.

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Siakam
Poeltl

Siakam would give Booker an equal with a fading CP3. Siakam can handle the ball a bit and is a playmaker which would take pressure off Book and CP3.

This would be unlikely but probably best case scenario IMO. Toronto would have to be wanting to rebuild and would likely want Bridges over Cam if they were even interested.
Yeah it sounds too good for us to be true so I'd imagine Toronto would feel the same way.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Siakam
Poeltl

It would likely have to be two separate trades and Siakam would have to demand a trade to the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

CP3
Booker
Bridges
Siakam
Poeltl

Toronto has Scottie Barnes who is a better Cam Johnson than Cam. Perhaps not as good of a shooter but he's only a rookie so I can see him improving.

I definitely think they'd have more interest in Mikal or even Ayton because they played a lot with Siakam at Center this year.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SI is reporting if the Suns decide to move on from Ayton, Detroit has a 50% shot of acquiring him. Evidently, they are making it no secret they are targeting Ayton.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SI is reporting if the Suns decide to move on from Ayton, Detroit has a 50% shot of acquiring him. Evidently, they are making it no secret they are targeting Ayton.

Any package from Detroit must include the #5. It would be hilarious if we somehow got Bagley back in the deal as well.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

There have been rumors about them wanting Ayton for a year now. They have the money to sign him outright I think

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Any package from Detroit must include the #5. It would be hilarious if we somehow got Bagley back in the deal as well.

I would hope it would be #5 and another player...hopefully a wing or maybe a big.

My pessimistic side thinks the ownership just wants to get rid of ayton and keep McGee and Bismack and probably stay under the cap/tax threshold.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Detroit doesn't have much that interests me. Olynik wouldn't be terrible as a stretch big off the bench but he's no centerpiece. Even if we could get Olynik, Stewart, and #5 I'd still prefer the Indiana or Atlanta trades. At least those 2 come with a legit starting Center in return.

Saddiq Bey would be interesting but I can't see Detroit trading him.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would hope it would be #5 and another player...hopefully a wing or maybe a big.

My pessimistic side thinks the ownership just wants to get rid of ayton and keep McGee and Bismack and probably stay under the cap/tax threshold.

I think Sarver learned his lesson during the Nash era. He's talked about inheriting a contender and mistakingly thinking it was easy and confessing to the mistakes he made not going all in. And in recent interviews he said that now is the time to spend. I just don't see the Suns letting Ayton walk.

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Detroit doesn't have much that interests me. Olynik wouldn't be terrible as a stretch big off the bench but he's no centerpiece. Even if we could get Olynik, Stewart, and #5 I'd still prefer the Indiana or Atlanta trades. At least those 2 come with a legit starting Center in return.

Saddiq Bey would be interesting but I can't see Detroit trading him.

I'd want Grant, #5, and Bagley. It would likely have to be 2 separate deals with the Suns sending out additional pieces with Ayton.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Detroit seem like somewhere DA would like to go? I guess it will come Down to who's willing to give him the most, but I have trouble seeing DA thrive in a cold weather environment.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does Detroit seem like somewhere DA would like to go? I guess it will come Down to who's willing to give him the most, but I have trouble seeing DA thrive in a cold weather environment.

I think he's young enough and is lacking real world perspective that he hasn't truly thought about living elsewhere since he didn't really have to move from college to the pros.

He hasn't dropped any hints as far as where he'd prefer to be or where he doesn't want to be either. Like Folster said, as long as he has high speed internet then he can focus on his all night gaming sessions so I doubt he's considered location much.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Miles is about what I expected but I really thought PJ would be more impactful. Regardless I'd take the imaginary Poeltl package over this one unless those picks are unprotected.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I think Sarver learned his lesson during the Nash era. He's talked about inheriting a contender and mistakingly thinking it was easy and confessing to the mistakes he made not going all in. And in recent interviews he said that now is the time to spend. I just don't see the Suns letting Ayton walk.

When did he actually say this? Was it last summer or more recently?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would seriously consider this trade
If I were to just judge the trade value of the assets (assuming the picks are all roughly mid-first rounders) I'd say it's quite a steal for Charlotte. But given our situation, who knows, we might be lucky to get even this much.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Miles Bridges is a restricted FA that will get the same deal as Ayton. I think that guy is just throwing out names.

Agreed. I think a combo of those assets would be more likely. I doubt the Suns would want a maxed Miles Bridges in return.

But I'm going to have to pass if we're only getting PJ Washington who is their 5th or 6th best player and mid first round picks for Ayton.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Would easily take that deal all things considered, but I highly doubt the Hornets take that offer (though a Ball/DA combo would be fun to watch).