The Ayton Plan

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then the Nets should start him, and immediately sit him on the bench for the rest of the game the first time Durant does this. Let him average 2 points, 1 rebound and maybe an assist per game for the entire season and see what that does for his legacy.

Neither scenario will happen though. More likely he'll need to rest his hamstring all season or until he's traded.
It would not be the whole season.

The fans would be yelling at management to trade him at that point.

They will not want to watch a garbage team when a big asset is sitting on the bench. I am 100% sure this strategy would work, it just has not been done yet - I thought Harden might have been doing it, but it turns out he just sucks now. But it will happen at some point.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 first round picks AND Bogdanovich? I just don’t understand some of you guys.

Also, Ayton is no more than Gobert by literally ANY metric other than slightly better scoring average last year.

The only metric that matters is that Ayton would carry the Jazz further than Gobert.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The only metric that matters is that Ayton would carry the Jazz further than Gobert.
LOL according to who?

There is a faction of this board that thinks Ayton is better than what he obviously is thought to be around league execs. I like Ayton and when he's on, he's great. But 20% of that isn't enough to justify a max. And the rest of the NBA appears to agree.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't expect the Jazz to trade all of their draft picks, maybe three plus Bojan Bogdanovic. They received four first round draft picks plus Kessler (a 1st round pick) in the Gobert trade.

Ayton is more than Gobert. They get to keep Mitchell.
Many of us think Ayton is more than Gobert but I think convention thinking around the league and outside of Phoenix is the opposite.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude… we are not getting 3 first round picks, much less 3 first round unprotected picks for DA.

That is just not realistic at all.
If Gobert is worth 4, Ayton is damn well worth 3.

Like I said if you have to wait it out fine. No reason to give up the asset for pennies on the dollar when we can just match him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Goga Bitadze is easily tradeable.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For months.

Also, AD requested a trade to the Lakers Jan. 28th and didn’t get traded until that summer meaning he was just hanging around the Pelicans for three weeks before the trade deadline ended.

Even though I.T feels like forever, We’re still within two weeks of KD demanding a trade.
Then two good examples. Okay, I won’t put the kabosh on the Durant trade.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where have they done this? I mean, actually done this not rumored to have done this?

I have no idea what DA's value is out there but I don't see why 3 picks would be unrealistic return if we had to take Turner's contract at the same time. As far as I'm concerned, he's a negative return.

And yes, I will be sorely disappointed if we lose Ayton for Turner and picks, any number of picks. Not surprised, as I have no idea what this Front Office is thinking. Truthfully though, I will probably be disappointed with just about any trade of Ayton.
How about the fact that they literally haven’t made a contract offer to him? Steve, they could have easily offered him the 4 year deal July 1st. They wouldn’t have had to worry about any trades, could give him just as much as anyone else. And nary a peep.

I mean… how do you argue against the fact that during FA they haven’t offered him the deal to keep him?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Gobert is worth 4, Ayton is damn well worth 3.

Like I said if you have to wait it out fine. No reason to give up the asset for pennies on the dollar when we can just match him.

Actually 5 first round picks if Kessler is added to the equation.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a baseless statement. Coaching, system and usage is a huge factor how any player performs on a team. I know people think Ayton is better than Gobert but Gobert has been getting it done consistently regardless of his last couple playoff performances. Ayton has been one of the most inconsistent players drafted at #1.

Would anybody be shocked if Ayton had ended up with the Jazz and they were worse? I don't think ANYBODY would be shocked. Not saying he COULDN'T be better but absolutely nobody would be shocked if the Jazz were worse.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That's a baseless statement. Coaching, system and usage is a huge factor how any player performs on a team. I know people think Ayton is better than Gobert but Gobert has been getting it done consistently regardless of his last couple playoff performances. Ayton has been one of the most inconsistent players drafted at #1.

Would anybody be shocked if Ayton had ended up with the Jazz and they were worse? I don't think ANYBODY would be shocked.
Last 4 years:
Utah Jazz: 195-113
Phoenix Suns: 168-141

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except that isn’t a metric. It’s complete speculators fantasy with literally nothing to back it up. One of the reasons the Jazz even win 50 games per year is because of Gobert’s dominance in the paint, covering for their lack of perimeter defenders.

Throw Ayton on a team with zero perimeter defensers as your anchor downlow and that D isn’t close to being as good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would anybody be shocked if Ayton had ended up with the Jazz and they were worse? I don't think ANYBODY would be shocked.

Would you be shocked if Ayton played better in the Jazz system? They love their big men.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Would you be shocked if Ayton played better in the Jazz system? They love their big men.
What makes you think their system is going to continue? They have no coach and no defensive anchor who the "system" never required to score.

That system is dead without Gobert.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about the fact that they literally haven’t made a contract offer to him? Steve, they could have easily offered him the 4 year deal July 1st. They wouldn’t have had to worry about any trades, could give him just as much as anyone else. And nary a peep.

I mean… how do you argue against the fact that during FA they haven’t offered him the deal to keep him?
Again, we don't know any of this. Maybe we told him we valued him but felt he was overstating his worth and we'd be delighted to match any offer he can bring in? Maybe we told him we liked him but not his inconsistency and would work with him to get him where he wants to go? And so on. Our front office doesn't leak often. We have no idea what's going on.

It's a good bet that we haven't offered him a 4 or 5 year max but even that is still just speculation. For all we know, DA is so insistent on leaving Phoenix that he told them he wouldn't play for the Suns no matter what we offered and that if we match him, he will make them regret it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No but the reverse is also true which isn't a glowing endorsement for Ayton. I mean NOBODY would be shocked if they were worse. That alone is a huge statement about where Ayton is at this point in his career. Guess what? Many teams seem to agree, or teams would be lining up for Ayton.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of value you’re right. I wonder how many teams strategize based on value verses team construction and straight ability.
I would hope that it's at least a consideration for every organization but who knows.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, we don't know any of this. Maybe we told him we valued him but felt he was overstating his worth and we'd be delighted to match any offer he can bring in? Maybe we told him we didn't like him but not his inconsistency and would work with him to get him where he wants to go? And so on. Our front office doesn't leak often. We have no idea what's going on.

It's a good bet that we haven't offered him a 4 or 5 year max but even that is still just speculation. For all we know, DA is so insistent on leaving Phoenix that he told them he wouldn't play for the Suns no matter what we offered and that if we match him, he will make them regret it.
And we literally have heard NONE of this? Come on Steve.

Here’s what we know… we didn’t offer him a MAX deal last off-season and as a FA, there’s been no word about us offering him a contract this off-season. It’s just not hard to see what’s happening here.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a new staff we have no idea what that system is at present.
Nor could you predict how Ayton would fit in that system let alone perform considering how inconsistent he has been. To automatically assume Ayton would make the Jazz better seems more like a fantasy league prediction at this point. I wouldn't put money on it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard