The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to start an official thread since Disney has officially green lighted Avengers 2.

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9127/disney-greenlights-avengers-2.html

Walt Disney Co., which owns the Marvel properties, has already announced a sequel to "The Avengers,"

It's possible that "Avengers 2" could hit theaters in 2015, but would depend on the schedule of all involved, and whether or not Whedon is invited back to work on the script and take the director's chair.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Awesome!

I'm fairly certain that the open portion of the film will be The Avengers using their super powers to help clean up the city, in an attempt to mitigate some of the costs to rebuild.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, not to spoil it but the Easter egg at the end told you there will be a sequel.

Anything that makes this much money is going to get a sequel. The point of the above is it's already green lighted. Meaning we don't have to wait 5 years for a sequel.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loki Won't Be Back For The Avengers 2

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Loki-Won-t-Back-Avengers-2-38095.html

Loki, the Asgardian villain played by Tom Hiddleston, has had a great run in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not only was he one of the best parts of Kenneth Branagh's Thor, he took center stage and took on a team of superheroes at once in Joss Whedon's The Avengers. We know his story isn't over, as he will again be back for Alan Taylor's Thor: The Dark World (due out in November), but his future beyond that is a question mark. But while we don't know what Marvel's larger plans are for the trickster god, one thing is for certain: he won't be going up against The Avengers again any time soon.

Despite being a fan-favorite character in the MCU, Loki will not be coming back for The Avengers 2. Whedon, who is back both writing and directing the 2015 blockbuster, recently appeared on the Empire Magazine podcast and revealed that Loki will not be a part of the story. The filmmaker revealed the detail about the sequel while talking about the need to replicate some of the last film's best and most powerful moments. "Everyone is going to be looking for the Loki-Hulk smash moment and you'll be looking for [a **** moment]," Whedon said, referring to the villain's use of the slur while talking with Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow. "First of all, imitating what I did before is the surest way to do it not as well. Second of all, Loki's not there to say those terrible things. Although I do think we should bring the word back, not as an insult, it's just a nice word."

The news about Loki shouldn't come as a big surprise to Marvel fans, as it's pretty clear that the studio has some much bigger plans in the works. In the mid-credits sequence of The Avengers they revealed that it was actually the incredibly powerful Titan known as Thanos who was pulling the Asgardian's strings and organizing the Chitauri army, suggesting that he will be the next major villain that Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America and the other superheroes will have to team up and face.

Looking at the news from another angle, does Loki's absence suggest anything about the end of Thor: The Dark World? As seen in the teaser trailer the new movie has Thor (Chris Hemsworth) both teaming up with and threatening to kill his brother, so how will that relationship turn out? It could be that Loki will just be sitting in a cell at the end of the film or it could be that he is down with the rest of the dead in Hel.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome!

I'm fairly certain that the open portion of the film will be The Avengers using their super powers to help clean up the city, in an attempt to mitigate some of the costs to rebuild.

That's funny. I'm not sure how I missed this a year ago but better late than never.

Steve

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loki Won't Be Back For The Avengers 2

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Loki-Won-t-Back-Avengers-2-38095.html

Loki, the Asgardian villain played by Tom Hiddleston, has had a great run in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Not only was he one of the best parts of Kenneth Branagh's Thor, he took center stage and took on a team of superheroes at once in Joss Whedon's The Avengers. We know his story isn't over, as he will again be back for Alan Taylor's Thor: The Dark World (due out in November), but his future beyond that is a question mark. But while we don't know what Marvel's larger plans are for the trickster god, one thing is for certain: he won't be going up against The Avengers again any time soon.

Despite being a fan-favorite character in the MCU, Loki will not be coming back for The Avengers 2. Whedon, who is back both writing and directing the 2015 blockbuster, recently appeared on the Empire Magazine podcast and revealed that Loki will not be a part of the story. The filmmaker revealed the detail about the sequel while talking about the need to replicate some of the last film's best and most powerful moments. "Everyone is going to be looking for the Loki-Hulk smash moment and you'll be looking for [a **** moment]," Whedon said, referring to the villain's use of the slur while talking with Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow. "First of all, imitating what I did before is the surest way to do it not as well. Second of all, Loki's not there to say those terrible things. Although I do think we should bring the word back, not as an insult, it's just a nice word."

The news about Loki shouldn't come as a big surprise to Marvel fans, as it's pretty clear that the studio has some much bigger plans in the works. In the mid-credits sequence of The Avengers they revealed that it was actually the incredibly powerful Titan known as Thanos who was pulling the Asgardian's strings and organizing the Chitauri army, suggesting that he will be the next major villain that Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America and the other superheroes will have to team up and face.

Looking at the news from another angle, does Loki's absence suggest anything about the end of Thor: The Dark World? As seen in the teaser trailer the new movie has Thor (Chris Hemsworth) both teaming up with and threatening to kill his brother, so how will that relationship turn out? It could be that Loki will just be sitting in a cell at the end of the film or it could be that he is down with the rest of the dead in Hel.

As much as I liked the character in Avengers I am happy to hear it. The franchise needs to introduce new concepts to keep it fresh. Although I am curious to see how they are going to keep Avengers grounded with Thanos. I am not sure how you pull that off.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Avengers: Age of Ultron

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/comic-con-marvel-avengers-2-title-age-of-ultron/

In the final moments of Marvel’s rousing panel at Hall H, Marvel chief Kevin Feige brought out Joss Whedon, who showed a very early teaser of the sequel The Avengers and revealed that the film will be called ‘Age Of Ultron.’

Vin Diesel is rumored to be in line to play The Vision.

:thud:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Well, because there was a book called 'Age of Ultron' quite recently, a lot of people have assumed that is what we're doing, but that is not the case,” Whedon reportedly reveals in the interview. “We're doing our own version of the origin story for Ultron. In the origin story, there was Hank Pym, so a lot of people assumed that he will be in the mix. He's not. We're basically taking the things from the comics for the movies that we need and can use. A lot of stuff has to fall by the wayside." - Joss Whedon

Ugh. Don't like the sound of this. Henry Pym created Ultron. :|

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Well, because there was a book called 'Age of Ultron' quite recently, a lot of people have assumed that is what we're doing, but that is not the case,” Whedon reportedly reveals in the interview. “We're doing our own version of the origin story for Ultron. In the origin story, there was Hank Pym, so a lot of people assumed that he will be in the mix. He's not. We're basically taking the things from the comics for the movies that we need and can use. A lot of stuff has to fall by the wayside." - Joss Whedon

Until he gives me reason, I have complete confidence in Whedon. He knows which parts translate into film and which parts play into his narrative on the stories he is trying to tell. Have no problem with it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I hate to say it (as I am a major fan of keeping movies true to books), but for the comics here, they can pick and choose whatever they want. He nailed Avengers soooo much that he's golden.

Who would have said, before that summer, that not only would Avengers be better than Batman, but it would far surpass it at the box office? You would have been laughed out of the room.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he is afraid that the genius of Henry Pym would reduce Tony Stark (or even Banner) to the level of a college dropout and they have too much money wrapped up in RDJ and his role as Stark to allow anyone to overshadow him. Besides, Whedon may have tied his own hands on this when he tampered with the original lineup of the Avengers - excluding Ant-Man and his wife, the Wasp.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he is afraid that the genius of Henry Pym would reduce Tony Stark (or even Banner) to the level of a college dropout and they have too much money wrapped up in RDJ and his role as Stark to allow anyone to overshadow him. Besides, Whedon may have tied his own hands on this when he tampered with the original lineup of the Avengers - excluding Ant-Man and his wife, the Wasp.

I don't know that you can lay that at Whedon's feet. It was obvious they were setting up an Avengers movie with the Hulk, CA, Thor and Iron Man movies and once they brought Captain America to the screen Joss was probably obligated to use him. If you have Cap as an original Avenger you're already playing games with history.

Steve

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that you can lay that at Whedon's feet. It was obvious they were setting up an Avengers movie with the Hulk, CA, Thor and Iron Man movies and once they brought Captain America to the screen Joss was probably obligated to use him. If you have Cap as an original Avenger you're already playing games with history.

Steve

Well, in the comics, the Hulk left in issue #2 of The Avengers. The rest of the team found Captain America, revived him, and he was given retroactive "founding member" status in place of the Hulk.

Captain America himself recruits Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver in issue #16.

Black Widow doesn't become an Avenger until issue #111.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, in the comics, the Hulk left in issue #2 of The Avengers. The rest of the team found Captain America, revived him, and he was given retroactive "founding member" status in place of the Hulk.

Captain America himself recruits Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver in issue #16.

Black Widow doesn't become an Avenger until issue #111.

I'll grant you that Whedon went far off the tracks but no matter how you slice it, Cap wasn't a member at the time the group was formed. I'd liked to have seen Ant Man in the first movie. Pym in all his guises was my favorite comic book character growing up - at least during his Silver Age run.

Steve

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved Voltron as a kid. Those lions getting together to form the giant robot was so cool. The other Voltron with the smaller spaceships was not my favorite.

I guess I will have to see the first avengers to see what Voltron has to do with Captain America...

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one issue that is not being addressed is that despite the subject matter, Whedon has tried to keep it somewhat grounded in a way so the movies have a more serious tone versus campy tone. How the hell do you introduce Ant Man without turning the franchise into Honey I Shrunk the Kids meets the Avengers?

Seriously, it would either turn out to be ultra camp or just come off as stupid. Some characters I simply don't want to see on Whedon's version of the Avengers on the big screen. Ant-man is one of them.

I don't see Whedon's version of the Avengers universe any different versus when writers reboot the comics or update the origin stories or super powers. This is his take and I am OK with No Ant-man.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one issue that is not being addressed is that despite the subject matter, Whedon has tried to keep it somewhat grounded in a way so the movies have a more serious tone versus campy tone. How the hell do you introduce Ant Man without turning the franchise into Honey I Shrunk the Kids meets the Avengers?

Seriously, it would either turn out to be ultra camp or just come off as stupid. Some characters I simply don't want to see on Whedon's version of the Avengers on the big screen. Ant-man is one of them.

I don't see Whedon's version of the Avengers universe any different versus when writers reboot the comics or update the origin stories or super powers. This is his take and I am OK with No Ant-man.

Probably true. I want to see Ant-Man for nostalgic reasons not because I think he'd be a great character in a movie. I can still remember being 7 years old and sitting on the floor in front of the Comics racks at Lute's Pharmacy in Scottsdale reading the Tales issue he first appeared in. As camp as Ant-Man would be at least he'd be more believable than DC's The Atom. I could suspend disbelief for a lot of things but traveling through the phone line was a bit much even for me.

Steve

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably true. I want to see Ant-Man for nostalgic reasons not because I think he'd be a great character in a movie. I can still remember being 7 years old and sitting on the floor in front of the Comics racks at Lute's Pharmacy in Scottsdale reading the Tales issue he first appeared in. As camp as Ant-Man would be at least he'd be more believable than DC's The Atom. I could suspend disbelief for a lot of things but traveling through the phone line was a bit much even for me.

Steve

Which is why I don't really want to see either on the big screen. I mean "Hero" movies are finally starting to get some respect.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I think the Ant Man movie is scheduled for Phase 3. So he may not appear in Avengers 2, but there are plans to incorporate him at some point.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Isn't that Antman?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that Antman?

Hank Pym was Ant-Man but he was also Giant Man, Goliath, YellowJacket and even the Wasp briefly. He created Ultron who then created the Vision who, IIRC, eventually destroys Ultron.

Steve

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely scenario is that Ultron and Vision are created by Tony Stark.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most likely scenario is that Ultron and Vision are created by Tony Stark.

Is that ever a scenario in the comic books? I'm really just a Silver Age guy so I've missed more than I've caught over the past 35 plus years.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn