The Annual "Potential Players Available for Trade" Thread

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The thread that often leads to nothing but is always thought provoking. Here are some players who I feel could be on the move this season, and also fit some of the Cardinals potential need areas should they stay in contention.

Anyone from the Texans. But seriously, Brandin Cooks and Phillip Lindsay are the two most likely names to look for here if we lose a WR or RB to injury. Both are good and the Texans are trying to tank.

TEs. I am going to add 1 name to this often frequent discussion with the same guys as usual. I will list them in order or best to worst in terms of offensive fit. 1. David Njoku. 2. Evan Engram. 3. Zach Ertz. 4. OJ Howard. Essentially this is filling the Dan Arnold role / big slot WR who is a matchup problem and can block. Where I could see this happening is if we have an injury at WR or TE OR if Kirk is just not playing well and struggles as an interior blocker. Our success this year will depend on or ability to run vs light boxes and I worry with Kirk and Moore inside as blockers. Njoku is exactly what this team needs as a TE. Maxx or a player of his ability should be a #2 sub option. I think Njoku gives a little more as a blocker than Engram with similar receiving skills.

Miles Sanders. Eagles are in a rebuild, love Boston Scott, and just drafted Kenneth Gainwell. They won't give Sanders away, but if we need a guy who can make someone miss because we have injuries to our RB group, Sanders is actually an upside back who has plus athletic ability.

At this point I only really see two CBs that potentially could be available. With the Saints future a bit in limbo, they could just decide to move on from Marshon Lattimore if the season heads south. I don't believe they will, but it is an option. The second CB is Joe Haden and the situation is similar. Haden is older but if the Steelers struggle this year, I can see them trying to get more picks for next years draft.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if we are in the playoff hunt at the deadline we absolutely have to pull the trigger on a big deal.

playoffs or fire everybody this year

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Haden would have been a great pickup a few years ago, but I wouldn't give more than a late-rounder--6th at the highest--for him now. Just aren't getting him long-term now.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It really should be obvious to you Kingsbury does not value tight ends. Don't expect any trades for one as long as he is the coach.

If we are going to trade for anything it should be a corner.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It really should be obvious to you Kingsbury does not value tight ends. Don't expect any trades for one as long as he is the coach.

If we are going to trade for anything it should be a corner.
The reason I bring up TE is just because there are a couple of very good fits that are seemingly available. I also question how much he may value them, however, it is glaring how much they would help the offense. Just looking at Dan Arnold's impact in this offense showed what a marginal talent can do. Put a guy like Njoku in it and you are really forcing defenses into some tough personnel decisions.

CBs are tough because teams generally do not want to part with them because they are hard to find.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Haden would have been a great pickup a few years ago, but I wouldn't give more than a late-rounder--6th at the highest--for him now. Just aren't getting him long-term now.
Agreed. But that is pretty much the best of what could be available.

I really hope we see DJ Humphries, Byron Murphy and Chandler Jones get extensions this offseason. I would to have some roster continuity for a change.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Just looking at Dan Arnold's impact in this offense showed what a marginal talent can do.
My guess is that Keim is expecting Green to revive Arnold's role in the offense as a tall safety valve? Unfortunately Arnold was arguably more effective than Green last year. Twice as many TD's and caught 31 of 45 targets. Green caught 47 of 104!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Did Kliff ever have a productive TE at Texas Tech? I can’t think of anyone off top of my head. He did show he would run the ball with a good running back he trusts (DeAndre Washington).

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My guess is that Keim is expecting Green to revive Arnold's role in the offense as a tall safety valve? Unfortunately Arnold was arguably more effective than Green last year. Twice as many TD's and caught 31 of 45 targets. Green caught 47 of 104!
The idea of the TE in Kliff's 10 personnel package is that you have an athletic TE who lines up in the slot. He can be an Evan Engram type blocker because all you are trying to do is force the defensive coordinator to pick a personnel package. Either run a base def package with 3 (or 4) LBs or run a sub package 2 (or 1) LB. The idea is that if they run a base def, you have two mismatches with a LB on the TE and a LB on the RB. You would generally throw vs this. If the DC goes with a sub package grouping, you have a TE on a LB or DB and generally teams will use their more athletic LBs (smaller). Now you have a potential size mismatch and your meh blocking TE is a lot better. Larry would have been perfect in this if he could have run at all.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

A point that conveniently ignores how many throws towards Green were deemed uncatchable.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would trade Kirk for any of those TEs straight up. He is not getting another contract here.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would trade Kirk for any of those TEs straight up. He is not getting another contract here.
I would feel a lot better, I would feel actually great, with D Hop, Green, Dorcth and Moore than replacing the later two with inconsistent Kirk and body catching go route Isabella ... yeah, I would trade CK for a TE

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can add Bryce Callahan to the list of CBs.

On the Jace Amaro front I think it's misleading. He didn't really play as a TE. He was a converted WR and was really a big slot.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont see a TE in the future, almost regardless of availability of players

if the offense is working, there will be no motivation to change it

if the offense isnt working, it will speak to issues that adding another TE wont solve

i know there is middle ground there, but i believe it will come down to that

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can add Bryce Callahan to the list of CBs.

On the Jace Amaro front I think it's misleading. He didn't really play as a TE. He was a converted WR and was really a big slot.
That is how Dan Arnold was used and what I think works in this scheme. The benefit is that it both helps the running game and forces personnel package decisions by the defense. Tough to trot out DIME personnel in a shell coverage when you have a TE as your 4th pass catching option.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cards should trade a conditional 3rd round pick for Saquon Barkley.

He would do very well in Kliffs offense

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
People looking for a TE and a CB. I can why we'd want a CB, because it seems that we're very thin after the top three. But I can't see the need for a TE as our receiving core is very talented. In fantasy fb you need a TE but not in the NFL. JMO.