The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Veterans vs young players. Vets know when and how to step up their roles when others are injured. Young players are still trying to develop what type of player they are.

It's no coincidence that the 2 teams you mentioned as struggling in those instances are the 2 youngest teams in the league.

this excuse above just doesn't fly anymore, IMO. We just had an off-season where everyone was raving about finally just getting guys who are experienced and belong in the league.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I mostly agree with what you are saying except among the Suns starters, Rubio, Booker, Saric and Oubre are experienced.

True, it's not the only factor. Roster makeup (we're not very deep with experienced players) and having a new system (Monty's first year) are also factors.

When we were winning early in the year, we had a set 9 man rotation where everybody knew their role. We starting having problems when that rotation changed due to injuries. Now adding more players back, we're almost starting over again

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, it's not the only factor. Roster makeup (we're not very deep with experienced players) and having a new system (Monty's first year) are also factors.

When we were winning early in the year, we had a set 9 man rotation where everybody knew their role. We starting having problems when that rotation changed due to injuries. Now adding more players back, we're almost starting over again

It's something for sure. I want the Suns to play defense again. They have this soft label.... opponents regularly drive to the hoop on them. They have to shake it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mostly agree with what you are saying except among the Suns starters, Rubio, Booker, Saric and Oubre are experienced.

Evil Ash makes a solid point. I know the Suns have some experienced players but the players they've lost have required increasing the minutes of inexperienced players to fill for them.

They didn't struggle much with Baynes covering for Ayton because Baynes is a solid vet who knows what to do and how to play.

When Rubio was out though that required Okobo and Carter to step up and those guys haven't solidified their own roles yet, they can't cover for someone who has a lot more responsibilities yet.

Of course when Booker's out though everyone struggles but if you take the best player off of any team, they'll struggle.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this excuse above just doesn't fly anymore, IMO. We just had an off-season where everyone was raving about finally just getting guys who are experienced and belong in the league.
And we’ve seen the impact, we’re better in every way, but we’re still the youngest team in the entire league. Young players are inherently inconsistent. Even the vets are playing larger roles than they ever have.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are hitting a soft spot in the schedule though. If they’re a playoff team they need to take advantage.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
12/18/19, 5:09 PM
Heat guard Goran Dragic (groin) is missing his ninth straight game tonight vs. Sixers, but there’s optimism that he can make his return on Friday against New York, league sources tell ESPN. Dragic’s averaged 16 points in 28 minutes a game this season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reported proposal for 2021-22 season by NBA.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: NBA has sent teams the proposal for 2021-22 season changes:
- 78-game regular season
- In-season tournament ($1M per player, $1.5M coaches pool for champion)
- Play-in tourneys for 7-8 playoff seeds
- Final 4 reseed in playoffs based on regular season records

4:05 PM - 20 Dec 2019

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Reported proposal for 2021-22 season by NBA.

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: NBA has sent teams the proposal for 2021-22 season changes:
- 78-game regular season
- In-season tournament ($1M per player, $1.5M coaches pool for champion)
- Play-in tourneys for 7-8 playoff seeds
- Final 4 reseed in playoffs based on regular season records

4:05 PM - 20 Dec 2019

Wow, this might actually happen. Like it or not, I'm impressed with Silver's open-minded progressiveness.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like the play-in tourney idea. Not a fan of scaling back the regular season though, even if an early season tournament happens. I don't see the point in an early season tournament. What would it prove? Paying the players a bunch of money is fine but I don't see why fans would care.

I'd be more in favor of the season ending a week or two early and having a divisional tournament, kind of like college and how they do their division championship at the end of the season. That might make divisions matter more and help establish or strengthen rivalries.

Reseeding after the conference semifinals is ok but I'd prefer to see them reseed after the 1st round. Reseeding should help improve the quality of the finals.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a mid season tournament would be a disaster, but the rest of the ideas I am 100% on board with.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet they will play around .500 while he is out. They have good PGs and overall solid depth.

Your prediction is looking pretty good. Maybe the Mavericks play even better than .500 without Doncic.

What a tremendous winning culture they have. Wish the Suns could tap into that type chemistry.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The buzz about Morant's almost dunk is stupid.

A. He missed
B. It was a charge
c. He used his off hand to boost himself up and still didn't get to the rim.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
The buzz about Morant's almost dunk is stupid.

A. He missed
B. It was a charge
c. He used his off hand to boost himself up and still didn't get to the rim.
His vertical is what the buzz is about... dude can fly.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Your prediction is looking pretty good. Maybe the Mavericks play even better than .500 without Doncic.

What a tremendous winning culture they have. Wish the Suns could tap into that type chemistry.

Helps to have a coach with an NBA championship on his resume

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I like the play-in tourney idea. Not a fan of scaling back the regular season though, even if an early season tournament happens. I don't see the point in an early season tournament. What would it prove? Paying the players a bunch of money is fine but I don't see why fans would care.

I'd be more in favor of the season ending a week or two early and having a divisional tournament, kind of like college and how they do their division championship at the end of the season. That might make divisions matter more and help establish or strengthen rivalries.

Reseeding after the conference semifinals is ok but I'd prefer to see them reseed after the 1st round. Reseeding should help improve the quality of the finals.
I could get into the idea of a divisional playoff round to see who advances to the conference championship round.
1st and 2nd seeds would only need one win to advance while the 3rd and 4th seeds in the division would need two consecutive wins to advance to a division final series. Maybe 1st playing 3rd, and 2nd playing 4th seeds.

The divisional final would be 5 GS.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I could get into the idea of a divisional playoff round to see who advances to the conference championship round.
1st and 2nd seeds would only need one win to advance while the 3rd and 4th seeds in the division would need two consecutive wins to advance to a division final series. Maybe 1st playing 3rd, and 2nd playing 4th seeds.

The divisional final would be 5 GS.
Why would the 2nd seed get the better draw?

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Love this idea. My favorite playoff format was always the NHL in the days when the first and second rounds were within the divisions, the third round was division champs, and the finals were conference champs as usual. The divisional rivalries were understandably intense, but the downside was that a lot of great teams got knocked out earlier than they likely would have in a 1-8 seeding. This is a way you could have something of both.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he’s swung and missed on a lot of guys. The Mavs have been bad for awhile now.

I love Cuban but he hasn’t been that great

He has missed a number of times but I highly doubt a player, coach, or executive has refused to sign with Dallas because he's the owner. The same can't be said for Sarver. We don't know who he's cost the Suns over the years but I feel comfortable saying he's cost them at least a few coaches and players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn