The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hawks are the only team with cap space after waiving Tyrone Wallace.

Bobby Marks‏Verified account @BobbyMarks42

Atlanta is the lone team with cap space and now have $4.8M in room. Cap hit on the Wallace waiver is $502K. He will clear waivers on Monday at 5PM and is eligible to be claimed ($1.58M) if a team has an open roster spot and not faced with restrictions (hard cap).

8:38 AM - 14 Dec 2019

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

·
4m

Charlotte Hornets rookie F P.J. Washington is expected to be sidelined through Christmas with fractured finger, league sources tell ESPN. The Hornets play five games in that stretch. He's averaged 12.3 points and 5.3 rebounds.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a nasty ankle roll. I am glad it isn't as bad as it looked.

Yeah. The Mavericks dodged a bullet.

It will be interesting to see how they play without Doncic. The Suns played well for awhile without Ayton and then came back down to earth.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Losing Doncic could be a blessing in disguise for Dallas if it allows Porzingis to finally return to his previous form. Being the primary option for a little while might help him get there. If he's still struggling when Luka returns though then I'm grateful they maxed him out. That will keep them from building a good team around Luka for a little while. I can't imagine anyone will be eager to take on his contract.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing Doncic could be a blessing in disguise for Dallas if it allows Porzingis to finally return to his previous form. Being the primary option for a little while might help him get there. If he's still struggling when Luka returns though then I'm grateful they maxed him out. That will keep them from building a good team around Luka for a little while. I can't imagine anyone will be eager to take on his contract.

Dallas traded away two first round picks to get Porzingis as well. Still think Porzingis will get better the more he plays.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Yeah. The Mavericks dodged a bullet.

It will be interesting to see how they play without Doncic. The Suns played well for awhile without Ayton and then came back down to earth.
I would bet they will play around .500 while he is out. They have good PGs and overall solid depth.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would bet they will play around .500 while he is out. They have good PGs and overall solid depth.

This could well be but the Suns played well without Ayton for awhile and then started losing. I suspect the same can happen with the Mavericks.

There will probably not be an immediate drop off in their play but if Doncic is out for any length of time my guess is they may play below .500. Of course that buffer zone may be so short they never experience it. Doncic does so much for that team. Perhaps just having him around will lessen the blow.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
How the Mavs play over the next few weeks will also impact how we view Doncic and his impact on the game. If the Mavs play around .500 then maybe his team is more talented than many thought (including myself). If they play horribly without him it will make the Doncic for MVP noise even louder.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
How the Mavs play over the next few weeks will also impact how we view Doncic and his impact on the game. If the Mavs play around .500 then maybe his team is more talented than many thought (including myself). If they play horribly without him it will make the Doncic for MVP noise even louder.
His on/off ratings are pretty telling that the team around him is pretty solid. The team is a little better with him on the floor than off, but it is by little enough that I can't imagine that they won't at least still be solid while he is out.

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
His on/off ratings are pretty telling that the team around him is pretty solid. The team is a little better with him on the floor than off, but it is by little enough that I can't imagine that they won't at least still be solid while he is out.
Makes sense. I hadn’t looked at that stat. They’re beating the bucks right now. Small sample size, but maybe I should have given more credit to his teammates.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Makes sense. I hadn’t looked at that stat. They’re beating the bucks right now. Small sample size, but maybe I should have given more credit to his teammates.

It's tough to average 10+ assists with garbage teammates. Trae Young did it in college somehow but that's the only time I've seen someone consistently put up assists on a really bad team. Even Westbrook had some decent teammates after KD left but before PG-13 showed up in OKC.

Don't get me wrong, not trying to discredit Doncic but the Mavericks should be better defensively without him. Carlisle is a great coach and should find a way to keep them competitive.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Jazz would have been better off keeping Rubio. The Mike Conley acquisition has been somewhat of a disappointment.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Why does it seem like when the Suns lose players the world collapses. Other teams lose players and keep on clicking. The Hawks seem to be a team struggling like the Suns. It will be interesting to see how much John Collins helps them when he returns.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Why does it seem like when the Suns lose players the world collapses. Other teams lose players and keep on clicking. The Hawks seem to be a team struggling like the Suns. It will be interesting to see how much John Collins helps them when he returns.

Veterans vs young players. Vets know when and how to step up their roles when others are injured. Young players are still trying to develop what type of player they are.

It's no coincidence that the 2 teams you mentioned as struggling in those instances are the 2 youngest teams in the league.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Veterans vs young players. Vets know when and how to step up their roles when others are injured. Young players are still trying to develop what type of player they are.

It's no coincidence that the 2 teams you mentioned as struggling in those instances are the 2 youngest teams in the league.

I mostly agree with what you are saying except among the Suns starters, Rubio, Booker, Saric and Oubre are experienced.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard