OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay two firsts with some protection.

Yeah, minimally the Warriors would want a couple of first round picks for Draymond Green, a young player and expiring contracts. That's not to say they are ready to trade him but that's the baseline of a trade.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They might want two firsts+ but he is not worth that, not even close in my opinion. We can all see right away what he is when surrounded by non-all-stars.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
11/23/19, 9:20 AM
Proposals would lower regular season to a minimum of 78 games. Discussions are progressing with hope of bringing a vote to an April meeting of Board of Governors that would introduce some, if not all, of these proposals into the NBA’s 75th anniversary season of 2021-2022.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of lowering the number of games played per year, that should stay 82. Give players "sick days" so they're allowed to sit out for a couple, they do it anyway. That might reduce wear and tear some.

I've read some lately about how the grind kids go through as teenagers is too much and that's what causes them to start falling apart when they reach the NBA level and think there could be something to that since the AAU teams weren't a thing like they are now 20-30 years ago and yet the NBA was more physical and less players missed time. Who knows.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wonder how seriously the players would take a mid-season tournament.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of lowering the number of games played per year, that should stay 82. Give players "sick days" so they're allowed to sit out for a couple, they do it anyway. That might reduce wear and tear some.

I've read some lately about how the grind kids go through as teenagers is too much and that's what causes them to start falling apart when they reach the NBA level and think there could be something to that since the AAU teams weren't a thing like they are now 20-30 years ago and yet the NBA was more physical and less players missed time. Who knows.

Two sports that I would be in favor of lowering the number of games would be basketball an baseball. The wear and tear with travel is a major grind on these guys. Half of them can't walk by the time they get out of the league. The re-seeding I can probably get behind. Don't know about the tournament stuff though. That seems like a money grab and attempt to capture some of the college tournament hype each year.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Two sports that I would be in favor of lowering the number of games would be basketball an baseball. The wear and tear with travel is a major grind on these guys. Half of them can't walk by the time they get out of the league. The re-seeding I can probably get behind. Don't know about the tournament stuff though. That seems like a money grab and attempt to capture some of the college tournament hype each year.

Half of basketball and baseball players can't walk by the time they're out of the league?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half of basketball and baseball players can't walk by the time they're out of the league?

I was being a bit facetious but their bodies are not the same. They have knee problems, back problems and all kinds of health issues. A friend of mine is a physical therapist and has worked with a ton of ex-professional athletes. They have all kinds of physical problems related to the game long after they stop playing.

It's why I hate those arguments about athletes getting paid so much. These guy sacrifice their bodies for the entertainment of others and sometimes that follows them through life.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Play division teams 4 times each. Other conference teams 3 times. Inter conference teams twice = 76 games

First round back to best of 5 (I know there’s a 0% chance of this one)

Playoff seeding 1-16

My dream...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how seriously the players would take a mid-season tournament.

If the games do not mean anything... not much.

In high school and college tournaments, teams usually play opponents they don't play during the regular season which makes it more exciting.

I guess a tournament at the end of the season makes more sense where teams can change seeding in the playoffs. This might generate more excitement if the season is shortened.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Play division teams 4 times each. Other conference teams 3 times. Inter conference teams twice = 76 games

First round back to best of 5 (I know there’s a 0% chance of this one)

Playoff seeding 1-16

My dream...

That makes sense, too much sense, which is why I can't see them adopting it. That would be a way for me to get behind lowering the number of games. As is, it would change records and history.

They could keep it at 82 and make the other 6 mean something. Use those as part of a midseason tournament. Once eliminate you play for something, just so every team plays the same number of games. If one team ends up playing a few extra games that would keep players from going all out.

I think 2nd round draft order could be decided by the early tournament, maybe a G-League draft order. The games need to mean something. Cash is something but I don't think that will make the fans care that much and ultimately I'm not sure if a bonus would get viewers that interested.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That makes sense, too much sense, which is why I can't see them adopting it. That would be a way for me to get behind lowering the number of games. As is, it would change records and history.

They could keep it at 82 and make the other 6 mean something. Use those as part of a midseason tournament. Once eliminate you play for something, just so every team plays the same number of games. If one team ends up playing a few extra games that would keep players from going all out.

I think 2nd round draft order could be decided by the early tournament, maybe a G-League draft order. The games need to mean something. Cash is something but I don't think that will make the fans care that much and ultimately I'm not sure if a bonus would get viewers that interested.
Not sure I would say it makes too much sense. The NBA is a business after all and you would be cutting something like 90 NBA games from the schedule by cutting the season down to 76. That is a lot of lost money for the NBA.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure I would say it makes too much sense. The NBA is a business after all and you would be cutting something like 90 NBA games from the schedule by cutting the season down to 76. That is a lot of lost money for the NBA.

I meant the scheduling more than the total number of games. I should have been clear about that.

That is how the league should schedule things, 4 games vs inter-division teams, 3 vs inter-conference, and 2 vs opposite conference. Repeat annually. Of course that equals 76 games, which is what they should be pushing as the restructuring. However keeping a few extra games allow for expansion easier, from a scheduling standpoint. Reducing the league 78 games, as discussed, seems odd. Like I said, the trick is making the extra games mean something.

Perhaps they could count preseason, after overhauling it. Only have preseason games vs foreign teams, 2 games for everyone, and then keep the season at 82. They're playing roughly the same amount, if you take the discarded preseason games into account.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I meant the scheduling more than the total number of games. I should have been clear about that.

That is how the league should schedule things, 4 games vs inter-division teams, 3 vs inter-conference, and 2 vs opposite conference. Repeat annually. Of course that equals 76 games, which is what they should be pushing as the restructuring. However keeping a few extra games allow for expansion easier, from a scheduling standpoint. Reducing the league 78 games, as discussed, seems odd. Like I said, the trick is making the extra games mean something.

Perhaps they could count preseason, after overhauling it. Only have preseason games vs foreign teams, 2 games for everyone, and then keep the season at 82. They're playing roughly the same amount, if you take the discarded preseason games into account.
I think they should just look into adding a couple weeks onto the season and eliminate back to backs. They could even extend the all star break so that teams get at least a full week off. Bottom line is just get rid of back to backs and players will sit out for rest far less often.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think they should just look into adding a couple weeks onto the season and eliminate back to backs. They could even extend the all star break so that teams get at least a full week off. Bottom line is just get rid of back to backs and players will sit out for rest far less often.
That is a good idea! If extending the overlap to the baseball season doesn't cost them attendance.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Harden, Tucker Dismiss NBA's In-Season Tournament Proposal

The NBA unveiled a slate of potential scheduling changes for the 2021-22 season on Monday, including a 78-game regular season, re-seeding for the conference finals and an end-of-year play-in tournament for the final two seeds in each conference. But the league's final proposal was met with the most resistance to start the week.

The NBA has reportedly proposed an in-season, single-elimination tournament, creating a chance for teams to claim a trophy separate from the NBA Finals, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Zach Lowe. That proposal created a share of skeptics throughout the league, including a pair of Rockets who discussed the idea on Tuesday.

"We're fighting for an NBA championship, I don't want to play for anything else," Rockets forward P.J. Tucker told the media at the Toyota Center. "It's like a consolation or something? I don't know. You play games to win an NBA championship, period.”
https://www.si.com/nba/rockets/news/james-harden-pj-tucker-dismiss-nba-midseason-tournament-ide/

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Really? I think the quality of the games would increase dramatically if they shortened the schedule, and I would be fine with shortening it dramatically, like only playing 50-60 games. I'd rather watch a shortened schedule where teams are healthier and playing harder because the games mean more than this grueling season where teams don't put it in gear until the 3rd or 4th quarter and stars sit out for any reason thinkable.

The 82 game schedule is a relic of the barnstorming days when teams made most of their money at the gate. No modern league would make a schedule like this.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah 82 games, 4 rounds of playoffs and now USA basketball in the summer. It’s way to much these days.

I don’t get mad at all when guys sit a game out for rest.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm for a reduced schedule. One easy thing the NBA could do to increase the quality of play is eliminating back-to-back games.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard