The 2019-2020 Around the NBA thread

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marcus Morris ejected for hitting opponent on head with ball
Um, Marcus Morris … you can’t do that.

The former Phoenix Suns forward of the Morris twins duo — the other being Markieff Morris — was tossed from a preseason game on Monday night after the now-New York Knicks player hit an opposing player on the head with the ball, seemingly on purpose.

He might have clipped Justin Anderson twice, as it appeared Anderson was looking for a call before Morris eventually thumped him on the head, clear as day, with the basketball.
https://arizonasports.com/story/211...ected-for-hitting-opponent-on-head-with-ball/

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marcus Morris got ejected for purposely hitting Justin Anderson in the head with the ball

It should never have happened. Morris should have been T'd up, if not ejected, on his first elbow swing at Justin's head.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It should never have happened. Morris should have been T'd up, if not ejected, on his first elbow swing at Justin's head.

Agree. It was a dirty, dirty play.

An ejection was definitely warranted. The elbow thrown could have done severe injury to the head of Justin Anderson.

This is not to mention Morris popping him on the head with the ball a second time.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per B/R reports KD has stated he will not be playing this season.

smart, especially after screwing himself up coming back too early last year. Achilles injury ain't nothing to screw with.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The backlash from Daryl Morey tweet is amazing. Everyone is chiming in, even trump is voicing his opinion.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More on Chriss and the Warriors.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The backlash from Daryl Morey tweet is amazing. Everyone is chiming in, even trump is voicing his opinion.

I don't want to turn this into a P & R conversation but am I the only one that thinks it was an incredibly stupid thing to do on Morey's part? I think I agree with the way the league has handled it after the fact but I can't help but think there should have been some very involved conversations prior to this summer's activities that may well have prevented this current fiasco. Maybe even a conversation with the Chinese government to discuss ways to move forward if and when a free speaking person from the NBA world calls them out.

The surprising thing about all this is that China took his comments personally. Most countries and most citizens seem to love it when an outsider with about 12 seconds of personal experience tells them what they're doing wrong.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was really a naive thing to do on Morey's part. I bet he's truly innocent of his actions but China took it to heart.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to turn this into a P & R conversation but am I the only one that thinks it was an incredibly stupid thing to do on Morey's part? I think I agree with the way the league has handled it after the fact but I can't help but think there should have been some very involved conversations prior to this summer's activities that may well have prevented this current fiasco. Maybe even a conversation with the Chinese government to discuss ways to move forward if and when a free speaking person from the NBA world calls them out.

The surprising thing about all this is that China took his comments personally. Most countries and most citizens seem to love it when an outsider with about 12 seconds of personal experience tells them what they're doing wrong.

If NBA teams were not currently playing in Asia including a game in China, Morey's tweet might have been swept under the rug. To them he probably represented the Rockets and the NBA. There is the saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans do." I think this is what happened here.

I believe the NBA has taken the right position even if it is belated. Commissioner Silver plans to travel to China to visit with Yao Ming, a chairman of the Chinese Basketball Association, when the Lakers play the Nets on Thursday. Hopefully it gets resolved.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
After Tiananmen Square anybody that deals with China is dealing with the devil but we all look the other way because we like all the cheap crap they sell us.

Its beyond absurd that we aren't allowed to mention their barbarism.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It will be interesting to see if teams can find a way to limit his opportunities in the paint. If they can he could become ordinary real quick, but if they can't he is going to be a force.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if teams can find a way to limit his opportunities in the paint. If they can he could become ordinary real quick, but if they can't he is going to be a force.
First, I don’t think they’ll be able to consistently. But second he seems like the type of transcendent player that would find a way to adapt and still dominate. Man it sucks that we couldn’t luck into back-to-back #1 picks.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
First, I don’t think they’ll be able to consistently. But second he seems like the type of transcendent player that would find a way to adapt and still dominate. Man it sucks that we couldn’t luck into back-to-back #1 picks.
He's still going to need to develop a consistent jumper to truly be special... he can't rely on getting to the rim at will his entire career.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I suspect some teams will be able to make him look ordinary this year and he will look completely unstoppable against others. Maybe Ayton would be the guy to guard him for the Suns. He's the only guy we have that has anywhere near the strength and athleticism combined that would be required.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I still don't get how you can label him "transcendant". He's going to be good, but I think the jury is still out about HOW good. Even at Duke, the competition was far inferior to the NBA. Even the preseason isn't really that close to what real games are like. And playoffs? Forget about it.

I'm not ready to anoint him the new King just yet.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I still don't get how you can label him "transcendant". He's going to be good, but I think the jury is still out about HOW good. Even at Duke, the competition was far inferior to the NBA. Even the preseason isn't really that close to what real games are like. And playoffs? Forget about it.

I'm not ready to anoint him the new King just yet.
Apparently, most of the basketball world has. It appears to be
Zion's to fulfill or not.

I'd be more concerned about his lower torso carrying all that
weight. A great player who is out half of the time . . . is half
a player.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Apparently, most of the basketball world has. It appears to be
Zion's to fulfill or not.

I'd be more concerned about his lower torso carrying all that
weight. A great player who is out half of the time . . . is half
a player.
He had a monster game tonight against the Bulls. But he also was matched up with some pretty terrible Power Forwards. Thad Young was probably the best player he went up against. I'd say he might have went up against Lauri, but Lauri had a great +/-, so I'm not sure he was guarding Zion, or even in the game much when Zion was on the floor.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suspect some teams will be able to make him look ordinary this year and he will look completely unstoppable against others. Maybe Ayton would be the guy to guard him for the Suns. He's the only guy we have that has anywhere near the strength and athleticism combined that would be required.

Ayton is the Suns best chance at guarding him but I don't know if Ayton has learned to use his strength properly or not. I was disappointed in how some smaller players handled him last year but I suspect that is part of why we brought in Baynes, to help teach Ayton how to use his considerable gifts. Baynes will make him work in practice and should be able to teach him a lot.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zion knows how to read the lanes and when to cut, thats what makes him dangerous. He's got a quick first step without the ball and hops to follow.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's still going to need to develop a consistent jumper to truly be special... he can't rely on getting to the rim at will his entire career.
He’s already got a semblance of a jumper. But he’s also going to get superstar calls from the getgo so I think he’ll have the refs clearing paths to the hoop for him. His jumpshot will definitely continue to develop over time. I have no doubt of that. He’s that sort of player.